Guaranteed Delivery
32 Members and 18020 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Is Keurig being phased out?

Started 1330456265.007 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1332750065.55 by Loves2save

I saw the new Keurig Vue at Bed Bath & Beyond - so many cool new features but the new system is not compatble with K-cups! {#emotions_dlg.scared} It seems the new V cups can be recycled so I wonder if they will be phasing out the Keurig.

Page 1 of 2
cats021330457463.2371663 PostsRegistered 12/6/2007
On 2/28/2012 akanesama said:

I saw the new Keurig Vue at Bed Bath & Beyond - so many cool new features but the new system is not compatble with K-cups! {#emotions_dlg.scared} It seems the new V cups can be recycled so I wonder if they will be phasing out the Keurig.

If I remember correctly, I saw an article that said that Green Mountain Coffee Roasters was bringing out a new machine and new cups. I think they referred to the new machine as "The Vue". I think that the reason has something to do with the patent on the K-cup.

There is information about the Keurig VUE on the keurig.com website.

Last edited on 2/28/2012

Last edited on 2/28/2012

millieshops1330457817.87315518 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

I'm not buying a new machine until my dies or until they stop selling basic coffe and decaf for it. I virtually never buy flavors, tea, etc. so if they contract all the extra, I'll be fine. As for new machines? Isn't that pretty much the way everything works in today's world! I just do't allow myself to get all caught up as long as I have something already working.

nomless1330457978.7234745 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I don't like the new machine because it has a reservior and is too big for the space I have. They might phase out the standard machine eventually, but I doubt it will happen soon.

Last edited on 2/28/2012

Last edited on 2/28/2012

Silver Lin­ing1330458270.463663 PostsRegistered 4/15/2010
On 2/28/2012 millieshops said:

I'm not buying a new machine until my dies or until they stop selling basic coffe and decaf for it. I virtually never buy flavors, tea, etc. so if they contract all the extra, I'll be fine. As for new machines? Isn't that pretty much the way everything works in today's world! I just do't allow myself to get all caught up as long as I have something already working.

You described my use of it exactly. I also totally agree with don't fix it (replace it) if it ain't broke sentiment.

4uthebest1330462100.6573527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

Green Mountain already said they are not going to abandon existing customers and besides there are other manufacturers that produce products that use their K Cups.

Bikkie1330462147.1473945 PostsRegistered 10/7/2009

I'm just worried about all the current k cup companies converting over to the new V cups and dropping the Keurig format. :(

nomless1330467727.1874745 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I don't think companies will stop making k-cups soon. There are a lot of k-cup machines out there, so consumers will continue to buy k-cups. That means companies will still profit from making them...and so they will continue to make them. Down the road, when the number of Vue machines exceeds the number of traditional machines, maybe k-cups will go away. But that won't be soon.

dharts1330470658.10317 PostsRegistered 4/15/2010

Keurig's patent on the K-cups expires sometime this year. If they didn't come out with a system using a new cup, they would lose the benefit of being the sole company with a right to sell coffee pods for their machines.

Once the patent does expire, anyone who wants to can make coffee pods for the K-cup machines.

I've been looking at getting a Keurig but I don't think I'm nuts enough, yet, to pay $250 for a coffee machine, which is the price on the Vue. Coffee is more expensive and no devices available yet to use your own coffee.

bonnielu1330478258.5075908 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

Customer service hesitated when I questioned them if they were going to discontinue the Keurig as we know it. They said not in the near future and then there was the BUT. And how the one now does not have recylable cups, etc. I am reading that as - it might be their plan to phase in one and phase out the other. Anyway mine is only 6 months old and I am very happy with it so far. So when it breaks, then I will consider it. So many companies have bought into this with their coffee. Seems like poor business to ditch them or make them start over.

Rap21330483240.16713235 PostsRegistered 5/24/2006

I'm Facebook friends with Melissa, the Keurig rep for QVC. She assures me they will continue making the current k-cups. Be on the lookout for a presentation on the Q for the new machine. When? She won't tell me.

Sunshine K­ate1330483647.412443 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky

I saw in my newspaper a couple of months ago about K-cups causing a problem in the landfills. They apparently never disintegrate; not good.

Respectfully ~
Kate

gabeach1330485132.28238 PostsRegistered 1/21/2007
On 2/28/2012 Sunshine Kate said:

I saw in my newspaper a couple of months ago about K-cups causing a problem in the landfills. They apparently never disintegrate; not good.

The patent is up in 2012, so keurig is coming out with something new. I am hoping the old keurigs will have much cheaper coffee once other companies are making the kcups. There is already one out, if you do a Search for Roberts family coffee. The cups are 50 cents each. They are made differently, and they do recycle. Last edited on 2/28/2012

Last edited on 2/28/2012

shoekitty1330485899.2613278 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006

I just LOVE my Keurig I really do. I would say of all the kitchen gadgets I have, the Keurig rates #1 with me. I don't see them discontinuing it, but they probably need to redesign that plastic cup "thingie". First of all, brewing the coffee through plastic can't be real healthy, and the added plastic to our environment isn't responsible. I think they can just go to the paper mesh thingie like San Francisco Bay coffee. I won't give mine up, and I really don't like the "my k cup" coffee taste.

K Cups have gone up about 25 cents a cup (from the lowest price I purchsed). Good thing there is just my husband and mself. I use 2 a day he uses 3. Of course there are my 2 grown twin daughters that come over on a regular basis to "k cup nap" my k cups. I am serious, I have to check my one daughters pockets when she leaves. LOl. God love her, she is a desparate woman.

I am on my 3rd machine, all courtesy of Keurig. This one seems to have taken. LOL

life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death!"
Auntie Mame

jGalt1330486362.51628 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Texas

There is a Keurig TSV on April 1.

missy11330489049.3832615 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007
On 2/28/2012 dharts said:

Keurig's patent on the K-cups expires sometime this year. If they didn't come out with a system using a new cup, they would lose the benefit of being the sole company with a right to sell coffee pods for their machines.

Once the patent does expire, anyone who wants to can make coffee pods for the K-cup machines.

I've been looking at getting a Keurig but I don't think I'm nuts enough, yet, to pay $250 for a coffee machine, which is the price on the Vue. Coffee is more expensive and no devices available yet to use your own coffee.

I have seen shop nbc sell something similar to the Keurig.

Foodie 71330735954.493751 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006
On 2/28/2012 4uthebest said:

Green Mountain already said they are not going to abandon existing customers and besides there are other manufacturers that produce products that use their K Cups.

While what you say is accurate, Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (which owns Keurig) licenses those who make K-cups. Of course I haven't seen any of the licensing agreements, but I'd be surprised if any of these companies have a "forever" license to make K-cups. It's also true that GMCR has been purchasing other companies. I believe they own Van Houtte, Diedrich, Gloria Jeans, Coffee People, Tully's Newman's Own Organics and Timothy's. My only point is that GMCR COULD decide to stop making K-Cups and stop licensing others to make them. However as you note, they have so many existing customers they likely don't want to abandon them.

Still, I just read something here that I found quite interesting.

http://equalysis.wordpress.com/tag/sbux/

The article, written on March 11, 2011 was discussing the efficacy of the deal between Starbucks and GMCR. The article notes, "Buoyed by the success of the VIA product, SBUX (Starbucks), obviously wants a piece of the action of the single cup brewer market. So why not just start selling the single cup pods? They can’t! GMCR owns the patents! SBUX’ best bet is to strike a deal with GMCR to distribute through them for at least 18 months. Why? 18 months is when the k-cup patents expire.

I'm obviously only speculating but if the K-cup patent will expire somewhere around September 2012, it would make sense for GMCR to come out with new Keurig technology which could be protected by a new patent so that they could continue to control who makes and sells what's used in their machines -- now the new Vue packs (the successor to K-cups). Would that mean they'd stop making K-cups? Not necessarily, but if others, once the patent expires, can make and market them, the GMCR coffee business would be less profitable. It's also the case that the only people who can make single cup coffee roasters that use K-cups are those companies who've licensed the technology from GMCR -- Cuisinart and Breville, for example. Who knows how long those licensing agreements are for.

My opinion, and it's only that, is that GMCR will continue to make and sell the original Keurig K-cup machines and original K-cups as long as it's profitable to do so.

Clickedy C­lack1330737979.817342 PostsRegistered 2/28/2011

Fastinating fact & fiction! I've enjoyed my Keurig since I'm alone and have one cup of AM coffee. Recently, however, I've been diagnosed with Laryngopharyngeal Reflux Disease (LPR) and coffee's something that I'm not suppose to drink (although I did try the apple cider, which was quite good, but don't recall who makes it), as coffee (chocolate and wine too) aggravates the condition. May my Keurig RIP!

<h1 class="title2"> </h1>

Loves2save1330751940.811168 PostsRegistered 6/19/2007CA
On 2/28/2012 Rapunzel2 said:

I'm Facebook friends with Melissa, the Keurig rep for QVC. She assures me they will continue making the current k-cups. Be on the lookout for a presentation on the Q for the new machine. When? She won't tell me.

Thats what we heard about VHS tapes way back when and we know what happened there. I think they will be phased especially with all the complaints they get about not being recyclable

Loves2save1330752134.231168 PostsRegistered 6/19/2007CA
On 3/2/2012 Clickedy Clack said:

Fastinating fact & fiction! I've enjoyed my Keurig since I'm alone and have one cup of AM coffee. Recently, however, I've been diagnosed with Laryngopharyngeal Reflux Disease (LPR) and coffee's something that I'm not suppose to drink (although I did try the apple cider, which was quite good, but don't recall who makes it), as coffee (chocolate and wine too) aggravates the condition. May my Keurig RIP!

<h1 class="title2"></h1>

The apple cider have been on bed bath and beyonds website on clearance as well as the fall sampler at a great price if anyone is looking

4uthebest1330754021.73527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

Pehaps the K Cup will be phased out but it sure will not be in the near future so I sure am not concerned as I use them very infrequently now and make richer brews with the Solofill models.

Infinite M­om1330795112.897446 PostsRegistered 7/18/2010

Went to BBB Fri. & it looked as though the regular K-cups were already being phased out.

Not much selection to pick from. But they had a whole wall for the Vue-cups at $14.99.

I'm definitely worried! {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Loves2save1332655569.7771168 PostsRegistered 6/19/2007CA
On 3/2/2012 4uthebest said:

Pehaps the K Cup will be phased out but it sure will not be in the near future so I sure am not concerned as I use them very infrequently now and make richer brews with the Solofill models.

If you don't think so check out the keurig website and start placing items in your cart. A lot of the favorites and no longer available and discontinued.

wolfdrivers1332656562.283328 PostsRegistered 1/3/2009North Warren, PA
On 2/28/2012 gabeach said:
On 2/28/2012 Sunshine Kate said:

The patent is up in 2012, so keurig is coming out with something new. I am hoping the old keurigs will have much cheaper coffee once other companies are making the kcups. There is already one out, if you do a Search for Roberts family coffee. The cups are 50 cents each. They are made differently, and they do recycle. Last edited on 2/28/2012

There's no reason why they can't make recyclable pods for the pre-existing Keurig machines. In fact, they should not have made them that way in the first place. Keurig had right up till the end of 2011 continued to make new machines to sell knowing full well they had a whole new system in the works to be released. If they abandon all their K-cup customers with this new Vue machine, I know none of us are going to be happy campers.

ozqueen1332685927.6968 PostsRegistered 4/15/2005

This is what the drug companies do. When the patent expires, they make a new, "better" medicine. If the new one was so great, why wasn't it made in the first place? Yes, technology improves but this is done all the time. Claritin became Clarinex, Zyrtec became Xyxal (all the "next" generation). I have two Keurig's and I should have seen this coming. You are right, the selection in BB & B is really down. :(

4uthebest1332688709.3173527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

Not for quite a while if at all as the company is far smarter than to do something like that considering all the K Clone machines that are there. Additionally, Keurig has said that they will still be making the K Cups.

Of course for me, that really does not matter as I use my Solofills for a good cup of coffee and when I want almost an expresso or an Amercano, I use my aeropress with the outstanding small milk foamer called the aerolatte.

Page 1 of 2