Back to School
163 Members and 11068 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Are Lock & Lock BPA Free?

Started 1327531039.593 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1330106602.26 by suzyQ3
I am assuming no or it would say so in the description?? Has anyone heard anything about this? Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
chickenbutt1327531211.21723475 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Yes, they are BPA-free. :)

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

willdob31327531574.5710087 PostsRegistered 10/31/2010

I'm afraid to buy anything plastic anymore even if it is BPA free. I don't trust plastic. I wish I could. Glass can be a pain but I know it is safe.

Cardamom1327531683.3876621 PostsRegistered 6/24/2006
Thank you chickenbutt!! I am so glad to find that out and that I don't have to go hunting that down in the market place. I need a bunch! :D Thanks again!

Cardamom1327531826.7536621 PostsRegistered 6/24/2006
On 1/25/2012 willdob3 said:

I'm afraid to buy anything plastic anymore even if it is BPA free. I don't trust plastic. I wish I could. Glass can be a pain but I know it is safe.

Really? Even if it is BPA free? Are there other toxins in there? I want these for soup. I am not sure glass would work.

chickenbutt1327531878.05323475 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Glad to help, Gemini. Sometimes they do mention it in their presentations. I'm surprised if it is not mentioned in the product descriptions online. On other sites where you can get L&L it is usually mentioned.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Cardamom1327532721.796621 PostsRegistered 6/24/2006
I don't think I have ever watched. I have been using zip lock bags. I also discovered some pantry beetles :O so today is the day I decided to get some. Amazon is offering free shipping on all Lock & Lock! Qvc charges nearly $8 for each L&L item. I was hoping if I bought multiple sets there would be a discount but no. :( It would have to be the same exact set.

chickenbutt1327532997.923475 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

It's too bad QVC doesn't offer better shipping discounts. I think you will be very pleased with Lock & Lock. I am a total nut for food storage and anything that I don't vacuum seal goes in Lock & Lock.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

willdob31327533298.62710087 PostsRegistered 10/31/2010

Gemini, they may be safe but I just don't trust plastic anymore. We used to use the ones containing BPA without worrying, too.

I use those glass bowls with the little handle on one side & that come with lids (plastic & even that worries me) for taking soups & chili to work.

I think they have a glass version of L&L now & that might be a good option.

Cardamom1327535611.616621 PostsRegistered 6/24/2006
Thanks chickenbutt. Thanks willdob3 I see qvc has that set on clearance. I am thinking about that. Even if the plastic is BPA free I still could not microwave in it. That set might be a good option for the soup.

Nightowlz1327636483.0439206 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I thought only the Bisfree Lock & Lock were BPA free. On their site they have different categories for their containers. One category is Bisfree & they say BPA Free. I don't see on other container pages where it says anything about being BPA free. ??? I just looked at a few on Q & they say they are made out of Polypropylene. I searched online & it says polypropylene is generally considered safe so who knows.

Last edited on 1/26/2012

Last edited on 1/26/2012

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

suzyQ31327685007.3924185 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 1/26/2012 nightowlz said:

I thought only the Bisfree Lock & Lock were BPA free. On their site they have different categories for their containers. One category is Bisfree & they say BPA Free. I don't see on other container pages where it says anything about being BPA free. ??? I just looked at a few on Q & they say they are made out of Polypropylene. I searched online & it says polypropylene is generally considered safe so who knows.

Last edited on 1/26/2012

Polypropylene by nature is BPA-free. It's plastic made from polycarbonate that can contain BPA; but even that type of plastic is now often BPA-free.

Last edited on 2/26/2012

"We need science, and we need humanity. Without these we will revisit the Dark Ages"

The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion -- Arnold H. Glasow

Cardamom1327713827.2936621 PostsRegistered 6/24/2006
Thanks SusieQ. I kept seeing that word polypropylene and kept thinking it was what was in those green bags to keep produce fresh. Saw several sets like that and did not realize it was BPA free. UPDATE I got Gladware at Target today and it is BPA free!! It was only $3 for 4 containers! Last edited on 1/27/2012

Last edited on 1/27/2012

Cardamom1327714004.0936621 PostsRegistered 6/24/2006
Thanks SusieQ. I kept seeing that word polypropylene and kept thinking it was what was in those green bags to keep produce fresh. Saw several sets like that and did not realize it was BPA free. UPDATE I got Gladware at Target today and it is BPS free!! It was only $3 for 4 containers!

suzyQ31327775107.2424185 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 1/27/2012 Gemini said: Thanks SusieQ. I kept seeing that word polypropylene and kept thinking it was what was in those green bags to keep produce fresh. Saw several sets like that and did not realize it was BPA free. UPDATE I got Gladware at Target today and it is BPA free!! It was only $3 for 4 containers! Last edited on 1/27/2012

Aren't the Gladware containers disposable?

Last edited on 2/26/2012

"We need science, and we need humanity. Without these we will revisit the Dark Ages"

The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion -- Arnold H. Glasow

Cardamom1327927779.676621 PostsRegistered 6/24/2006
On 1/28/2012 suzyQ3 said:
On 1/27/2012 Gemini said: Thanks SusieQ. I kept seeing that word polypropylene and kept thinking it was what was in those green bags to keep produce fresh. Saw several sets like that and did not realize it was BPA free. UPDATE I got Gladware at Target today and it is BPA free!! It was only $3 for 4 containers! Last edited on 1/27/2012

Aren't the Gladware containers disposable?

No, they are reusable. They are dishwasher, microwave and freezer safe. They are plastic.

beachbird1327938031.57308 PostsRegistered 6/30/2007By the River

On their website, they sell a line of containers that is called Bisfree. They are a bit more expensive than regular Lock and Lock, which must not be BPA free.

suzyQ31327944351.50724185 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 1/30/2012 beachbird said:

On their website, they sell a line of containers that is called Bisfree. They are a bit more expensive than regular Lock and Lock, which must not be BPA free.

That Bisfree line that you see on their site is undoubtedly their revamped Premium line, which was a polycarbonate plastic. Polycarbonate plastic usually contains BPA. L&L switched over to Titan copolyester, which has no BPA but is still similar in hardness and clarity to polycarbonate. So BisFree is essentially their new Premium line. It is more expensive because it is very strong.

Their classic line, which is what most of us have, never contained BPA. It's made of polypropylene, which doesn't have BPA. I'm quite happy with this regular L&L line.

There is no BPA danger from L&L.

Last edited on 2/26/2012

"We need science, and we need humanity. Without these we will revisit the Dark Ages"

The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion -- Arnold H. Glasow

victoria i­n ct13300711401 PostsRegistered 2/24/2012

according to customer service at qvc; the line of lock and lock they sell is not BPA free..

I purchased a 32 piece set of BPA free lock & lock from Amazon. It arrived today. It

is different than my lock & lock from QVC . Just sharing. Perhaps QVC can clarify for

all interested. The BPA is clearly more expensive and heavier. I agree QVC charges

a fortune for shipping. I purchased the amazon prime for 75.00 a year for shipping.

It covers the majority but not all idems purchased. Cost effective for me.

Please no negative comments; only here to share what has been my experience.

It would be nice if QVC offered one yearly flat all inclusive shipping charge for those interested for a reasonable cost.

suzyQ31330106602.2624185 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 2/24/2012 victoria in ct said:

according to customer service at qvc; the line of lock and lock they sell is not BPA free..

I purchased a 32 piece set of BPA free lock & lock from Amazon. It arrived today. It

is different than my lock & lock from QVC . Just sharing. Perhaps QVC can clarify for

all interested. The BPA is clearly more expensive and heavier. I agree QVC charges

a fortune for shipping. I purchased the amazon prime for 75.00 a year for shipping.

It covers the majority but not all idems purchased. Cost effective for me.

Please no negative comments; only here to share what has been my experience.

It would be nice if QVC offered one yearly flat all inclusive shipping charge for those interested for a reasonable cost.

QVC does NOT sell a special kind of L&L that contains BPA. Either you misunderstood what was said to you, or it was not said at all.

All L&L is free of BPA, which is clearly indicated at the top of their site's homepage (LINK).

The majority of L&L sold on QVC is made of polypropylene plastic, which NEVER had BPA to begin with. The type of plastic that did contain BPA is polycarbonate plastic.

This month QVC presented one set of L&L made with Tritan copolyester that resembles the old polycarbonate premium line that they have discontinued. Like polycarbonate, this new line is harder and more stain resistant but is made from a type of plastic that does NOT have BPA. It is, though, more expensive than regular L&L.

So no, L&L contains no BPA.

Last edited on 2/24/2012

Last edited on 2/26/2012

"We need science, and we need humanity. Without these we will revisit the Dark Ages"

The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion -- Arnold H. Glasow

Page 1 of 1