WEN by Chaz Dean
143 Members and 10111 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Eric the spokesman

Started 1326674254.223 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1327271990.18 by missyw1

Did anyone see Eric today on Cooking with David Show? He was presenting the Montel Williams Pressure Cooker. I could not believe what a mess he was. Unshaven, hair hanging down his swety forehead...what a slob...I cannot believe how QVC or Montel allows that...Such a shame when there are so many out of wokr that would love his job. He needs to clean up!

Page 1 of 2
boby1326677750.693082 PostsRegistered 2/10/2006Town of Ulster-suburb of Kingston, NY

I never thought of it that way, but he does have an unkempt look now that you mention it. Hard to fathom, since I'm sure hosts and vendors spend a lot of time in makeup before going on the air. Guess that's just his "Look."

missyw11326749502.2132114 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

I think he does a good job. Eric Theiss.

Daysdee1326750891.8818749 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007

Seems nice, but he does look inkempt. Mark Charles doesn't dress well, but seems a little neater than Eric.

joolgirl1326789440.12760 PostsRegistered 2/16/2005

Thank you for starting this thread. I don't watch his presentations, because I find his appearance to be so off-putting. He usually looks like he just rolled out of bed, threw on the first clothes he stumbled over, and ran his fingers through his hair to comb it. I can't believe that any vendor would choose to have him representing their product.

Etherbunny­511326806424.813116 PostsRegistered 1/15/2012

On a different point, am I the only one that finds it gross when they handle food products no one wears those gloves, especially for a 4-hour cooking show? I find it so gross, especially when they feed that food to others

Silverandg­old1326808303.211306 PostsRegistered 2/9/2008NJ

These spokespersons are nothing more than actor wanna-bes who are actually employed by a talent agency and get these in between jobs representing products - I guess securing a regular paycheck. Lately, there seems to be more & more in the entertainment field - Jaime Kern (IT cosmetics), Kara (BMak), Dr Will (Neutrogena) were all on reality shows & I've seen the vendor for the trac phones & some electronics (forgot his name) on a commercial for Disney World, Jane DeNoble (genie bra) on a commercial as well as several others. They present these products as if they are employed by the companies but actually they are 'acting' which on some level bothers me. Do the hosts really need them? Many years back the hosts were totally capable of presenting the products alone.

Etherbunny­511326812103.337116 PostsRegistered 1/15/2012
On 1/17/2012 Silverandgold said:

These spokespersons are nothing more than actor wanna-bes who are actually employed by a talent agency and get these in between jobs representing products - I guess securing a regular paycheck. Lately, there seems to be more & more in the entertainment field - Jaime Kern (IT cosmetics), Kara (BMak), Dr Will (Neutrogena) were all on reality shows & I've seen the vendor for the trac phones & some electronics (forgot his name) on a commercial for Disney World, Jane DeNoble (genie bra) on a commercial as well as several others. They present these products as if they are employed by the companies but actually they are 'acting' which on some level bothers me. Do the hosts really need them? Many years back the hosts were totally capable of presenting the products alone.

You know, you're right. I'd much rather have a true salesperson rather than a two bit actor that looks a certain way on TV, but I guess it's the same as the PTB as to why the hire the salepeople they do on the Q.....very similiar looking, they fit a certain mold

Sooner1326817346.30714626 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 1/16/2012 Daysdee said:

Seems nice, but he does look inkempt. Mark Charles doesn't dress well, but seems a little neater than Eric.

Then I sure don't want to see Eric. I turn the channel when MCM comes on because he looks just grubby to me.

Dianajj1326861540.92342 PostsRegistered 1/9/2008

Hopefully QVC is monitoring this thread. I stand by my original comment...hire someone who is clean and presentable...these unkept people are ruining the whole concept. I don't want to see that. I am glad that you too feel the same way. Loved the glove comment too...it is just nasty...certainly not a way to sell a product.

Dianajj1326861544.16342 PostsRegistered 1/9/2008

Hopefully QVC is monitoring this thread. I stand by my original comment...hire someone who is clean and presentable...these unkept people are ruining the whole concept. I don't want to see that. I am glad that you too feel the same way. Loved the glove comment too...it is just nasty...certainly not a way to sell a product.

jasbel1326862617.662419 PostsRegistered 10/21/2008

Actually... Gloves in cooking is not as sanitary as you think, during the prep it is more sanitary to use your hands and wash frequently. The reason -- cross contamination. During the 4 hr shows, I'm pretty sure they are washing their hands. Just because they don't show it on the air. I don't see anyone, double dipping or such. i have seen, chefs wash hands and wipe their hands frequently as well.

Eric Theiss and MCM are two of the more professional presenters. They treat the food and products w/respect and they are both good presenters. I do not get people on this board sometimes. I see complaints about whether or not it is appropriate for someone to wear a Chef's Coat for example. Eric has culinary training and can use the title chef - would he be more watchable to you if he wore one? Would you think he is credible if he had a crew cut and was clean shaven? Have you seen some of the chefs on Chopped?

If QVC i monitoring this thread please note, I am more apt to buy a product (and I have) from Eric, MCM and throw in Chef Joe, because I appreciate their presenations and trust them.

So Happy G­irl1326863696.083674 PostsRegistered 9/7/2005

I agree. I can't watch him because he looks grubby, especially his odd chin hair.

Etherbunny­511326897660.713116 PostsRegistered 1/15/2012

Gloves may not be 100% full proof but it HAS to be better than his grimy hands. I also agree with his facial hair. Why is it that cafeteria workers have to wear hair coverings when preparing food, whether it be on their head or face; they should too.

It's down right gross because others eat their leftover food and they give it to their live studio audience :(

Texas Barb­ie1326909967.63515 PostsRegistered 12/7/2006Spring, Texas

I have always thought he looked dirty--not a good look in the kitchen. For that reason, I changes channels when he is on. Almost makes me gag.

missyw11326911134.63332114 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

They do not need to wear gloves. because they are not cooking for the public.

Etherbunny­511326918185.647116 PostsRegistered 1/15/2012
On 1/18/2012 MissyW1 said:

They do not need to wear gloves. because they are not cooking for the public.

They DO cook for the public, I was in the audience when they were serving food that they prepared in the cooking show, made without gloves (of course I ate none of it). Additionally, the crew eats their leftovers and they donate some to local shelters.

forrestwolf1326920315.16004 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia

Eric Theiss has several You Tube presentations......even for Kansas City steaks.........He is a professional TV chef/spokesperson for many products....including even Paula Deen and Masterbuilt......in addition to his prepology line.....He is a professional/husband/dad......There are a lot of people that like his style.....hair/facial hair..........Look at a lot of men of Hollywood.......They have the same hair styles/facial hair that Eric Theiss has......when they are not in the middle of making a movie........Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp....etc.....A lot of people like his look and style.....Maybe you do not...........But he does make a great presenter.......in my opinion....and he knows his products, and how to present them......You can not like him...and that is fine{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} But, there are many who like his style, and he does present items that sell and move the inventory.........He has a job.......and keeps his job......and many people have him to present their product (in their absence).......and has made himself present.......Just do not look at him, if he bothers you........As for donating to shelters.....they would have to abide by the Dept. Of Health codes, and a license......or they could not do it............Cool

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
1895 Rudyard Kipling
EDUCATE........NOT ERADICATE

Etherbunny­511326922369.877116 PostsRegistered 1/15/2012

Well, you're right they are held to the same standards as a restaurant, take a gander at their food inspection report(s). Since they have all of these chefs working there, someone should know better :)

Dianajj1326948640.63342 PostsRegistered 1/9/2008

My purpose for this post was to comment on how terribly scuzzy Eric looks...he needs to clean up...wash that face, shave, shower and act/look like a professional. David always looks clean, Montel looks clean...everyone does but Eric....No one appreciates looking at that. I change programs and return when he is gone...he is gross...

shoekitty1326950684.2212452 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006
On 1/17/2012 Etherbunny51 said:
On 1/17/2012 Silverandgold said:

These spokespersons are nothing more than actor wanna-bes who are actually employed by a talent agency and get these in between jobs representing products - I guess securing a regular paycheck. Lately, there seems to be more & more in the entertainment field - Jaime Kern (IT cosmetics), Kara (BMak), Dr Will (Neutrogena) were all on reality shows & I've seen the vendor for the trac phones & some electronics (forgot his name) on a commercial for Disney World, Jane DeNoble (genie bra) on a commercial as well as several others. They present these products as if they are employed by the companies but actually they are 'acting' which on some level bothers me. Do the hosts really need them? Many years back the hosts were totally capable of presenting the products alone.

You know, you're right. I'd much rather have a true salesperson rather than a two bit actor that looks a certain way on TV, but I guess it's the same as the PTB as to why the hire the salepeople they do on the Q.....very similiar looking, they fit a certain mold


Most of the time they are employed by the company. They work in the PR, and advertising part of the company. I seriously doubt a talent agency, or an actor "wanna be" would appear on television that umkept, or research a product that thouroughly as to appear to represent the company. They don't get paid for the research time. SAG pay for spending an hour on TV wouldn't be worth anyone's time. However, there is a lot of money and residuals in some commercials or representing a product. That is why many celebraties do infomercials and big commercials, like those reverse mortgage commercials. Jenny Craig, Nutri System can pay in the millions.

I totally agree most venders are not needed to sell the product. Some products it is okay. The Hosts never let them talk anyway, or they talk over them...or make them appear stupid by correcting them. JMHO

life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death!"
Auntie Mame

missyw11327120630.2832114 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007
On 1/18/2012 Etherbunny51 said:
On 1/18/2012 MissyW1 said:

They do not need to wear gloves. because they are not cooking for the public.

They DO cook for the public, I was in the audience when they were serving food that they prepared in the cooking show, made without gloves (of course I ate none of it). Additionally, the crew eats their leftovers and they donate some to local shelters.

They rarely have live cooking shows. How could the host/rep cook for the whole audience? Sounds like the Q kitchen behind the scenes, made the food.

Angel181327121238.59451 PostsRegistered 1/24/2011
On 1/18/2012 Etherbunny51 said:
On 1/18/2012 MissyW1 said:

They do not need to wear gloves. because they are not cooking for the public.

They DO cook for the public, I was in the audience when they were serving food that they prepared in the cooking show, made without gloves (of course I ate none of it). Additionally, the crew eats their leftovers and they donate some to local shelters.

Preparing food while not wearing gloves doesn't mean that their hands are dirthy though. They do wash them.

sunshine451327123803.64740700 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

i enjoy eric and his presentations.

http://www.erictheiss.net/www.erictheiss.net/Blog/Blog.html

TV spokesperson on QVC Shopping Network. I am a factory rep and and product developer. My company's name is Livevision, LLC



Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind. - author unknown

Dianajj1327266472.363342 PostsRegistered 1/9/2008

Well...QVC obviously doesn't care...Eric was on again today...looking all sweaty, hair hanging on forehead...ugly facial hair...scuzzy all the way...so...I switched chanels and did NOT buy anything...he is nasty...

lilgreeney­es1327267427.917671 PostsRegistered 4/8/2011

Eric shared on his blog how he developed a silicone splatter guard for QVC, etc. i dont think he is a paid actor. As for the IT cosmetics girl, Jamie, didnt she develop that line and is the founder/owner of it? And I was under the impression that Dr. Will was a real MD with a dermatology practice. I know there are some actors repping some lines, but arent some of them just what they claim to be...such as the ones I just mentioned? I do agree that Eric's boho look is not the appealing for some working with food, but what does it matter if he is really just preparing food to show how a gadget works rather than cooking for the masses?

Page 1 of 2