Boot Boutique
185 Members and 12985 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Vitamix Horsepower

Started 1326606647.81 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1326681709.467 by Gianelle

The Today's Special Value is the new model: Vitamix Creations GC. "GC" stands for "Galaxy Class". They have stated that the motor is 2.25 HP so it is "the most powerful Vitamix ever sold on QVC."

All of the Vitamixes I could find on Vitamix.com only have 2HP. Does anyone think 1/4 more horsepower makes THAT much of a difference?

I bought the 5200 from QVC this past August when it was the TSV. Since I have only been "power blending" for 4 months, I am not experienced enough to know whether .25 HP makes that much of a difference. I am very happy with my Vitamix, but I would be a little disappointed to know there is a better, more powerful unit for only slightly more money since I bought mine so recently.

Thanks for your help!

Page 1 of 1
Sooner1326606745.82314815 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 1/14/2012 Gianelle said:

The Today's Special Value is the new model: Vitamix Creations GC. "GC" stands for "Galaxy Class". They have stated that the motor is 2.25 HP so it is "the most powerful Vitamix ever sold on QVC."

All of the Vitamixes I could find on Vitamix.com only have 2HP. Does anyone think 1/4 more horsepower makes THAT much of a difference?

I bought the 5200 from QVC this past August when it was the TSV. Since I have only been "power blending" for 4 months, I am not experienced enough to know whether .25 HP makes that much of a difference. I am very happy with my Vitamix, but I would be a little disappointed to know there is a better, more powerful unit for only slightly more money since I bought mine so recently.

Thanks for your help!

Then stay far far away from QVC. Usually whatever they sell they'll have the new and improved one in a week or two. With the Ninja it has pretty much been Ninja of the week. I have NO idea how many models of this they've had.

Gianelle1326632713.11317 PostsRegistered 10/9/2011
On 1/14/2012 Sooner said:

Thanks for your help!

Then stay far far away from QVC. Usually whatever they sell they'll have the new and improved one in a week or two. With the Ninja it has pretty much been Ninja of the week. I have NO idea how many models of this they've had.

I don't think this is a QVC issue. The VitaMix 5200 has been the model on QVC, on Vitamix.com, and at the live store presentations since 2007 and has 2HP. There is no Vitamix on the official website with 2.25HP. So it isn't a matter of selling the "old" model.

All I realy want to know is if anyone who has used the Vitamix for an extended period of time thinks a .25 HP difference is significant or whether it is negligible.

Sooner1326640059.0514815 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 1/15/2012 Gianelle said:
On 1/14/2012 Sooner said:

Thanks for your help!

I don't think this is a QVC issue. The VitaMix 5200 has been the model on QVC, on Vitamix.com, and at the live store presentations since 2007 and has 2HP. There is no Vitamix on the official website with 2.25HP. So it isn't a matter of selling the "old" model.

All I realy want to know is if anyone who has used the Vitamix for an extended period of time thinks a .25 HP difference is significant or whether it is negligible.

Ok, I'll answer you: I seriously doubt if it makes one bit of difference. QVC has different features and packages to sort of muddy the water on price. When it was simply the "Creations" model the same model was on the VitaMix website for a jacked up price point. I'll bet they didn't sell 10 of them on their site but it gave QVC that "comparison" for a "retail" price. See what I'm talking about?

I bought the 5200 because the extended 2 years on the warranty was important to me and I wanted the padded handle on the container. I got a reconditioned one from VitaMix and it is going strong 2 years later.

Don't fret over details. Find the machine you want with the features you want (don't sweat the motor stuff I'd guess) at the price point you want with the accessories you like and the warranty you are comfortable with. Don't sweat the "cookbooks" and DVD's because this is on the VitaMix site, you tube and everywhere else. It isn't rocket science and we haven't used two "recipes" in the two years! Throw in stuff you like to eat or need to eat and let it rip!!!!!

beba511326647443.523312 PostsRegistered 11/19/2011

I don't think it would make one whit of a difference. Saying it makes soup in 4 minutes instead of 6 min. Big deal. I've had mine for 2 years and I use it everyday. I make soup in it all the time and I usually make the base and pour it in a pot on the stove because I like chunky veggies in it so I throw what I want in it and warm it all up together. I make catsup, spaghetti sauce and much more. I have never had it bog down or had the motor stress, except when I make ice cream or frozen yogurt.

I like that it is made in the US and when you call them they have a quick response. I bought mine at the county fair and got the grain blender with it. I paid the same price as qvc has it for. I also got the big Jar with mine, not the 48 oz. jar that came with the one they had last year which isn't as useful as the big jar.

Just my opinion.

debc1326647737.232569 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009

Well more is always better, but if you already have one, not enough to buy another one.

Cheese with that whine?

Yankette1326647954.287893 PostsRegistered 3/20/2007

Hi Gianelle, hope you're having a nice day. I wouldn't listen to anything Sooner has to say. As you can see from her over 6200 post count, most if it is negative stuff that she posts about QVC and their products. You can't trust a person who isn't objective enough to give you an opinion. Do the opposite of what Sooner says.

I have the Vitamix from the TSV in August from QVC. I have never had any problems with anything Q sells and in my opinion has the best customer service around. Never had any issues with them selling "old" models and/or products because I always do my research befor purchasing anything. Having said all that, I don't really think .25 HP would make all that much of a difference. I can't say for sure that I"m right because I haven't had time to watch a presentation of today's TSV, but I think what we have is just as superior as todays. You know you might be able to call customer service and see if you could return the one you have and purchase todays. I had a Dooney & Bourke bag that started to fall a part a year and they accepted the bag back and sent me a new one!

Hope this helps and Happy New Year.

chickenbutt1326648033.2823792 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

ITA that it would NOT make one bit of difference. Additionally, I've never seen QVC sell the 5200 model. It's always been the 'Creations' that has the shorter warranty.

Whenever somebody goes overboard about horsepower you know that they are just trying to sell. I've seen many truly inferior appliances lauded for having much high HP/wattage than other, higher quality, appliances. The bottom line is that you can put together inferior mechanics with higher HP and still end up with something that is not good. I am NOT saying that this VitaMix is not good. I'm just saying that the HP is not the true indicator of power or endurance.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Gianelle1326650089.48317 PostsRegistered 10/9/2011

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I will keep what I have. Just had a smoothie and it tasted great. :) In the later presentations he did say 4-5 minutes for soup instead of 8 minutes. That really isn't anything to worry about. I hope you all continue to enjoy your Vitamix as much as I enjoy mine.

debc1326650769.2932569 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I will keep what I have. Just had a smoothie and it tasted great. :) In the later presentations he did say 4-5 minutes for soup instead of 8 minutes. That really isn't anything to worry about. I hope you all continue to enjoy your Vitamix as much as I enjoy mine.

LOL, well if you loved someone, you could give it to them and get the new one. I had an original one and had it for years before I gave it away when I moved. I regretted it once I got settled. I've had the new style for quite a long time now. I have no worries about 'mass produced' as I believe they sell so many they all are. They show them at Costcos, Sams and many other places.

Cheese with that whine?

boogalootoo1326651192.13731 PostsRegistered 11/19/2011

I have the TSV Vitamix from a couple of months ago and I'm very happy with it. I only regret that it came with the smaller 48 oz. blender container. The Vitamix website sells the 64 oz. container for $149. Other websites have it for less but the model #s are different so I can't be sure which one is the right one for my machine. It would be great if QVC would offer the large container for sale at a special price for those of us who already bought the Vitamix that came with the 48 oz. container.

Mmsfoxxie1326651718.0275389 PostsRegistered 6/19/2010
On 1/15/2012 boogalootoo said:

I have the TSV Vitamix from a couple of months ago and I'm very happy with it. I only regret that it came with the smaller 48 oz. blender container. The Vitamix website sells the 64 oz. container for $149. Other websites have it for less but the model #s are different so I can't be sure which one is the right one for my machine. It would be great if QVC would offer the large container for sale at a special price for those of us who already bought the Vitamix that came with the 48 oz. container.

Call Vitamix CS and they will let you know if a different model # makes a difference.

Gianelle1326663208.64317 PostsRegistered 10/9/2011
On 1/15/2012 debc said:

LOL, well if you loved someone, you could give it to them and get the new one. I had an original one and had it for years before I gave it away when I moved. I regretted it once I got settled. I've had the new style for quite a long time now. I have no worries about 'mass produced' as I believe they sell so many they all are. They show them at Costcos, Sams and many other places.

Haha! :) I have only had it since the last TSV in August! Maybe in two years or so I will gift it to someone I love and upgrade. Maybe.

boogalootoo1326666295.8131 PostsRegistered 11/19/2011
On 1/15/2012 Mmsfoxxie said:
On 1/15/2012 boogalootoo said:

Call Vitamix CS and they will let you know if a different model # makes a difference.

Thanks Mmsfoxie, I will do that!

golden mar­iposa1326680924.4571413 PostsRegistered 11/10/2007

The difference would be negligible. Just another marketing ploy by the Q to get you to buy something that they are peddling. They want you to think that the one you have is outdated or somehow inferior. Not the case at all. OP, You own a wonderful machine so don't even be tempted by this one. The one you have will last you most likely a lifetime.

"In order to be irreplaceable; one must always be different. " Coco Chanel

Foodie 71326681598.833740 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006

Gianelle,

Sooner's comments are right on target. Vitamix has been selling its machines for many, many years and they are superb machines. Do really think that they'd have sold as many 2 HP machines as they have if it were in any way an inferior machine? Also do you think they'd allow QVC or any other retailer to sell a better machine than Vitamix sells at its own website or than its reps that sell at home shows sell? Of course not. If you have any questions about the difference in HP, call Vitamix customer service. All any of us here can offer you is our opinions.

I own the Vitamix 5200 and there is nothing I want to do with the machine that I can't do and I suspect that's true of every other person with a 5200 or with any version of the Vitamix Creations model they have. In fact I'd bet that's true of those with models that preceded the 5200. Please relax and enjoy your Vitamix.

Gianelle1326681709.467317 PostsRegistered 10/9/2011
On 1/15/2012 golden mariposa said:

The difference would be negligible. Just another marketing ploy by the Q to get you to buy something that they are peddling. They want you to think that the one you have is outdated or somehow inferior. Not the case at all. OP, You own a wonderful machine so don't even be tempted by this one. The one you have will last you most likely a lifetime.

Well-said. Thank you. :)

Page 1 of 1