TSV(R) Preview
129 Members and 11408 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

NuWave or Convection Oven

Started 1326376329.137 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1331156185.11 by 4uthebest

I'm trying to decide if I want the NuWave or the Breville Convection oven. Any recommendations and what are the pro's and con's.

Page 1 of 2
chickenbutt1326389844.34723545 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I would think that a convection oven would be more versatile. I prefer things that I can use in as many ways as possible.

A few months ago I got my first convection oven and I LOVE it! I got the Calphalon XL Digital Convection Oven, using a 20% off online coupon with BB&B so it was only $150. It's a really nice unit and I get a ton of use out of it. Much of the time I cook for just me and I might want to heat something up, that I wouldn't want to nuke, and I just end up panning it because I don't want to crank up the big oven. The convection oven has been invaluable for that reason and for a myriad of baking, toasting, re-heating, and broiling needs. It easily fits a 9x13" pan.

Last edited on 1/12/2012

Last edited on 1/12/2012

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Katey12611326439367.0072990 PostsRegistered 8/30/2008Texas

Hello chickenbutt. I have wondered this too. I have been considering the Nuwave or the Breville and posted a while back. Why did you purchase this rather than the Breville was it price? I wonder if you can use a 13X9 pan in the Brevile? I'm looking forward to see what others have to say.Smile

Katey12611326466115.6472990 PostsRegistered 8/30/2008Texas

Wonder what the differences are between the Breville and Calphalon XL are? I do think you could cook a bigger Turkey in the NuWave Oven. I would like to know from others as well.

chickenbutt1326474248.58723545 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
On 1/13/2012 Katey1261 said:

Hello chickenbutt. I have wondered this too. I have been considering the Nuwave or the Breville and posted a while back. Why did you purchase this rather than the Breville was it price? I wonder if you can use a 13X9 pan in the Brevile? I'm looking forward to see what others have to say.Smile

Hi Katey! The reason I chose the Calphalon was, in doing casual research for a few months prior, I KNOW that I really like the Calphalon brand. I liked the features of it. The price was just a bonus I guess. I am always willing to pay for something that will be good quality, but I got a better vibe about the Calphalon. That said, however, I did see that the Breville brand has a lot of good reviews. It was just a personal preference brand thing for me.

Check out the stats on the Breville. It should say if it holds 9x13. I don't recall what I saw on that because it's been a while. I thought that was a good thing because 9x13 is such a great, standard size. Often I use something smaller, but I liked knowing I could use up to that size.

One of the things I love about shopping online is that I can find so much information and so many reviews. I use that a lot because I often will pay more for something that I think will be more reliable and more versatile. I like to know that that money went to good use. :)

As for the turkey thing - I just use the oven so I didn't even use that in my research. I was really loving those newer, electric turkey fryers, but I just don't want a single-use thing when it is that large and costs a fair amount.

Last edited on 1/13/2012

Last edited on 1/13/2012

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Katey12611326475644.412990 PostsRegistered 8/30/2008Texas

Good morning chickenbutt, the dimensions are 18 1/2" L x 16 1/4" W x 11 1/4" H. I have been looking to buy a convection oven for sometime now.I have read reviews too. I like Calphalon as well since I use the Unisom cookware. I'm also interested in buying their new steamer pan it comes with an insert. I really like this brand a lot. I do know the ladies on here really like the Breville. I recently lost our toaster since it was very old and used a lot by my Husband. I think this will work for both of us. I don't want another toaster. He is driving me crazy he can't eat a sandwich unless the bread is toasted. He keeps reminding me of this.Smile So I really need to decide on an Convection Oven soon. I think this will fit a 13X9 pan without handles.

Last edited on 1/13/2012

Last edited on 1/13/2012

chickenbutt1326476124.23723545 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Oh, I love Calphalon Unison! I have several pieces. I was into the Technique Hard Anodized II line here, because they really were very nicely made and durable. But they seem to have stopped making the II line, in lieu of the stuff they call dishwasher safe and is lighter.

So, I moved on to Calphalon and Unison seemed to be the line that best met my needs. I don't use all nonstick, but I do need to have certain pieces in nonstick, but it must be good quality.

One thing I like about the Calphalon Convection oven is that it is nonstick inside. I find that it is very easy to keep clean.

I just checked out the Breville on amazon and, while the description doesn't tell what size pans fit, one of the reviews DOES say that it can fit a 9x13" pan. Check it out - second review down by 'Karl'. It's a long review with a lot of info.

ETA - the one I was looking at is called Breville BOV800XL The Smart Oven. I didn't realize there were so many models.

Last edited on 1/13/2012

Last edited on 1/13/2012

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Katey12611326476789.492990 PostsRegistered 8/30/2008Texas

I too love the Unisom and have a lot of pieces in this brand. I'm also building on this set as I go. Thanks for telling me about the review I will go look. The model by Breville is the one I'm considering. The big one. Oh I so wish I could make up my mind since I have even made a spot for one and Bed Bath and Beyond is like seven minutes from me. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

sometimesQ­VCjunkie1326476958.782737 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008

I got the DeLonghi E02058 (link isn't working for some reason) via Macy's around New Year's and it was on sale for $35 (down from original price of $99) AND I was able to use my 20% off coupon!! This is my first forage into having a convection oven/toaster combo and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I find myself not even using the oven anymore! It cooks pretty quick and has extra trays to broil, bake, and I even found a mini 'loaf pan' that makes brownies in about 8 minutes! I've also used that little pan to make chicken legs. I give it 10 stars!!! In the 2 weeks I've had it, its become the MOST used appliance (besides the stove and dishwasher) in the house!

It does fit a full round pie plate (has room in the back for this) and I've put full size pieces inside (obviously not anything huge-that would go in my oven). Again, most things 'fit' and I haven't used my oven since I bought this!

Last edited on 1/13/2012

Last edited on 1/13/2012

chickenbutt1326477014.18323545 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

BTW, I posted a review on the Calphalon on amazon, along with a picture of it on my counter if you want to see it in context.

The BB&B isn't near me, so I prefer ordering online plus that way I don't have to carry it around. I have limitations for lifting. The shipping was free so it didn't cost me any more. But I also understand that some would rather see it and touch it first. Makes sense. :)

If you are a customer the send a lot of 20% off coupons for online use, which I like a lot.

You should enjoy the Breville. At least, on the one I looked at, the reviews seemed to be overwhelmingly good. Just for kicks sake, I checked out the one-star reviews it has and they are pretty brutal. But the vast majority are good.

Last edited on 1/13/2012

Last edited on 1/13/2012

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

chickenbutt1326477218.3523545 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
On 1/13/2012 sometimesQVCjunkie said:

I got the DeLonghi E02058 (link isn't working for some reason) via Macy's around New Year's and it was on sale for $35 (down from original price of $99) AND I was able to use my 20% off coupon!! This is my first forage into having a convection oven/toaster combo and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I find myself not even using the oven anymore! It cooks pretty quick and has extra trays to broil, bake, and I even found a mini 'loaf pan' that makes brownies in about 8 minutes! I've also used that little pan to make chicken legs. I give it 10 stars!!! In the 2 weeks I've had it, its become the MOST used appliance (besides the stove and dishwasher) in the house!

It does fit a full round pie plate (has room in the back for this) and I've put full size pieces inside (obviously not anything huge-that would go in my oven). Again, most things 'fit' and I haven't used my oven since I bought this!

Last edited on 1/13/2012

After I got my convection oven I found I was having fun looking for good quality smaller pans. I got this one stainless steel broiler pan from amazon and then I got a nice little rectangular (7x10 I believe) nonstick pan with a rack, Chicago Metallic brand (love that brand!).

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

4uthebest1326478148.4733526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

This is an easy answer for me having had both. The NuWave is FAR more versitile and one of the best 16lb turkeys I ever had was the one done on Thanskgiving using the NuWave.

Having not only conventional convection ovens (rectangular shapes) and the FlavorWave, I am using the NuWave probably 5x more often than both of the other combined. Since I do not make toast, I am not needing the toasting function of the rectangular ones.

I f you watch the infomercial for the NuWave, I and many others have duplicated their results and more. Having had this for 7+ years, if it broke I would immediately get another one.

Last edited on 1/13/2012

Last edited on 1/13/2012

sometimesQ­VCjunkie1326478963.132737 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008
On 1/13/2012 chickenbutt said:
On 1/13/2012 sometimesQVCjunkie said:

Last edited on 1/13/2012

After I got my convection oven I found I was having fun looking for good quality smaller pans. I got this one stainless steel broiler pan from amazon and then I got a nice little rectangular (7x10 I believe) nonstick pan with a rack, Chicago Metallic brand (love that brand!).

I'll have to check it out, thanks!

Katey12611326483814.1372990 PostsRegistered 8/30/2008Texas

I think I will take a drive to Bed Bath and Beyond today. I really do love this store there are some other things I wanna check out. I have my 20% coupons and two 50.00 Gift Cards from my Son for Christmas. I asked for them because I like this store so much. I may look into the NuWave too.

nascar fan1326487463.471038 PostsRegistered 1/25/2005

i own the nuwave and i vote for that!!! like op ,i dont use it for toast!!but for what i do put in it, it does a fantastic job. that said, i bought my bff a cusinard convection/toaster oven for christmas. i bought it at costco as her stove oven bit the dust and she couldnt afford to replace it at the time. she says it works great!! and believe me, she is the kind of b@#%$ at times that would whine& complain to others but not me!lol and so far havent heard of any complaints!lol. i paid about 100.00 at costco and i think it is about 175.00 at bb&B. but i am satisfied with the nuwave. i use it at least 2 or 3 times a week minimum. nascar fan

HoosierGirl1326489223.71576 PostsRegistered 5/2/2007

i would so love to use mine more, but the recipes are a bit limited....{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

so, if you have suggestions or links, it would be so appreciated!!

TIASmile

I am the HoosierGirl, and I approve this message!!

Katey12611326491223.2632990 PostsRegistered 8/30/2008Texas

What is the difference between the flavorwave and nuwave just the brand? And there is another one the sharper image super wave oven. Why did you all choose the one you chose?

HoosierGirl1326500823.073576 PostsRegistered 5/2/2007

oh, and i have the NuWave!

4uthebest1326500908.2373526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 1/13/2012 Katey1261 said:

What is the difference between the flavorwave and nuwave just the brand? And there is another one the sharper image super wave oven. Why did you all choose the one you chose?

Both the Flavorwave and Superwave as well as many other similar looking ovens are about the same in performance. They are "halogen" ovens and have a tube that will burn out and need to be replaced. In addition, the interior diameter is less than the NuWave but having both the FW and NuWave, I use the NuWave almost all the time because I prefer the far infrared technology over the near that the Flavorwave and Superwave have.

I cannot think of one item that I can cook that takes longer in the NuWave than the FW types as most everything is faster in the NuWave.

Perhaps one advantage of the FW types is that the temperature goes up to 480-500F where the NuWave tops out about 350.

That being said, I have no trouble duplicating the results that are shown on the NuWave infomercial and that is a rather rare statement to make nowadays.

chickenbutt1326501133.74723545 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Great explanation, 4! You must have just about everything. I always enjoy reading your reviews and comparisons.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

HoosierGirl1326501483.013576 PostsRegistered 5/2/2007

is there a rule of thumb for converting recipes......time wise, is where i get stuck and food is too expensive these days to do much experimenting?? {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

4uthebest1326586777.473526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 1/13/2012 HoosierGirl said:

is there a rule of thumb for converting recipes......time wise, is where i get stuck and food is too expensive these days to do much experimenting?? {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

HoosierGirl, I really cannot answer that other than saying the NuWave is quicker in most everything. What I will say however is that most "modern" chefs are now cooking to temperature and not to time so I recommend spending some money and getting an instant read thermometer that will give you results in 6 seconds or so.

For example, most all breads and cakes are done with an internal temperature between 195-205 and poultry is safe to eat at 165. Pork roast now will be fine at 145 and there is no way to estimate any of these temperatures so get a thermometer like what Q sells or better yet the $10 Polder one that is sold by BB&B.

Maggie Nol­ia1326652089.31314669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006
On 1/12/2012 chickenbutt said:

I would think that a convection oven would be more versatile. I prefer things that I can use in as many ways as possible.

A few months ago I got my first convection oven and I LOVE it! I got the Calphalon XL Digital Convection Oven, using a 20% off online coupon with BB&B so it was only $150. It's a really nice unit and I get a ton of use out of it. Much of the time I cook for just me and I might want to heat something up, that I wouldn't want to nuke, and I just end up panning it because I don't want to crank up the big oven. The convection oven has been invaluable for that reason and for a myriad of baking, toasting, re-heating, and broiling needs. It easily fits a 9x13" pan.

Last edited on 1/12/2012

What's the wattage on that Calphalon?

Does it make decent toast?

Does it turn off automatically?

What's the limit on the timer?

TIA!

Buzzards fly in packs. Eagles soar alone.

Pray for the USA.

"Let's roll." ~ Todd Beamer, 9/11/01.

chickenbutt1326652746.1423545 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Hi Maggie Nolia!

Wattage - 1600 - While wattage is no indicator of power or endurance, I found this to be plenty of wattage. Plus, I didn't want something that was going to blow out my circuits. heh :) BTDT and no es bueno.

Toast - I'm sorry! I seldom make toast so I haven't used it for that. It does have a mode for toast, bagels, and toaster pastries. I got some Toaster Strudels recently and am going to try it for that, though.

Auto turn-off - yes. You program in the temp you want and the time. After it has preheated, the timer starts and it turns off when that time has elapsed. It's easy to make changes during cooking, though, in both temp and time.

Limit on the timer (I had to go down to my kitchen and look because I couldn't find it in the book) - 2 hours

Hope that helps. I like this brand a lot and didn't see any of the scary problems I saw with the other popular choice - Breville. One person even had the glass window blow out on their Breville. Odd that I even thought about that once, before I ever saw that. One day I actually dropped a very large baked potato on the open door and it scared me, but the door was fine. (whew!)

I'm big on aesthetics, and I really like the brushed steel of this one. It seems to be made very well (another big advantage I saw over a lot of reviews on the Breville brand!) and looks nice. I posted a pic of it on one of my counters on amazon.

Last edited on 1/15/2012

Last edited on 1/15/2012

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Maggie Nol­ia1326653222.95714669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006
On 1/15/2012 chickenbutt said:

Hi Maggie Nolia!

Wattage - 1600 - While wattage is no indicator of power or endurance, I found this to be plenty of wattage. Plus, I didn't want something that was going to blow out my circuits. heh :) BTDT and no es bueno.

Toast - I'm sorry! I seldom make toast so I haven't used it for that. It does have a mode for toast, bagels, and toaster pastries. I got some Toaster Strudels recently and am going to try it for that, though.

Auto turn-off - yes. You program in the temp you want and the time. After it has preheated, the timer starts and it turns off when that time has elapsed. It's easy to make changes during cooking, though, in both temp and time.

Limit on the timer (I had to go down to my kitchen and look because I couldn't find it in the book) - 2 hours

Hope that helps. I like this brand a lot and didn't see any of the scary problems I saw with the other popular choice - Breville. One person even had the glass window blow out on their Breville. Odd that I even thought about that once, before I ever saw that. One day I actually dropped a very large baked potato on the open door and it scared me, but the door was fine. (whew!)

I'm big on aesthetics, and I really like the brushed steel of this one. It seems to be made very well (another big advantage I saw over a lot of reviews on the Breville brand!) and looks nice. I posted a pic of it on one of my counters on amazon.

Last edited on 1/15/2012

Thanks for responses. I'm still interested in it. Can you also tell me the dimensions?

Buzzards fly in packs. Eagles soar alone.

Pray for the USA.

"Let's roll." ~ Todd Beamer, 9/11/01.

chickenbutt1326656511.03323545 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Maggie Nolia - Ok, dimensions of the outside...

11 3/16" high, including the door handle on top

19 1/4" Wide

15" Deep, including handle sticking out in front and the bump in the back that also has rubber bumpers on it. I guess that's so somebody wouldn't push it all the way up against the wall.

So, I got halfway up the stairs and thought 'hmm, I bet she would also like the interior usable dimensions', right? Here you go -

5" high from the position of the shelf on the bottom (you have 3 choices of shelf position). That also allows space between the shelf and the top burner.

10.5" Deep of usable area.

13.25" wide of usable area.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Page 1 of 2