Back-in-Stock Fashions
61 Members and 13468 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Salt cod & potatoes (Known as house banking in Nova Scotia-years ago)

Started 1324749847.113 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1324918757.553 by Sage04
replies

When I was a kid in Nova Scotia, there was an inexpensive dish, known as "house banking." (this was back when salt cod was cheap)

I remember salt cod, potatoes, & bacon.

Do you have a good recipe for this type dish?

Page 1 of 1
sue521324749994.431248 PostsRegistered 11/8/2004

No, I have heard of it, though. I bet it's good

forrestwolf1324750784.296047 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia

I have to be a negative nelly here.........in that I am a nurse(29 years), and I saw more blacks, African Americans, or whatever is politically correct, who came in to the hospital with a stroke after eating saltfish/cod, for breakfast...........Maybe for some, this is not a threat.........but for some it is.........I am sorry that I do not have a recipe for you, as in the South, it is an ethnic food, of which, my family did not eat{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I only dealt with the aftermath...........{#emotions_dlg.sad}

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
1895 Rudyard Kipling
EDUCATE........NOT ERADICATE

Brabls1324753211.9414740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007
On 12/24/2011 forrestwolf said:

I have to be a negative nelly here.........in that I am a nurse(29 years), and I saw more blacks, African Americans, or whatever is politically correct, who came in to the hospital with a stroke after eating saltfish/cod, for breakfast...........Maybe for some, this is not a threat.........but for some it is.........I am sorry that I do not have a recipe for you, as in the South, it is an ethnic food, of which, my family did not eat{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I only dealt with the aftermath...........{#emotions_dlg.sad}

It could have been the result of a generally unhealthy diet due to poverty resulting in untreated hypertension, rather than an occassional treat.

forrestwolf1324755174.5336047 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia
On 12/24/2011 Brabls said:
On 12/24/2011 forrestwolf said:

It could have been the result of a generally unhealthy diet due to poverty resulting in untreated hypertension, rather than an occassional treat.

I will agree with you on that..........But there are so many things in a Southern diet, that goes against one's well being.........I am not pro South, as I am from GA{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I have to teach prisoners every day on how to change their diet, as it is my job.....I understand an occasional treat.........ESPECIALLY during the holidays..........HECK.........my supper last night was summer sausage and jalepano stuffed olives{#emotions_dlg.w00t} How good is that{#emotions_dlg.scared}

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
1895 Rudyard Kipling
EDUCATE........NOT ERADICATE

dominosmom1324756050.22200 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006The Hudson Valley

If you Google Salt Cod recipes there are plenty to chose from. My parents were from Newfoundland and salt cod was a regular part of our meal plan in Brooklyn,NY. BTW, Dad died recently at 89 and salt cod was not to blame. I haven't had any in a long time but with the holidays here I think i'll make a pot of it for my family to enjoy.

Brabls1324756866.2214740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007
On 12/24/2011 dominosmom said:

If you Google Salt Cod recipes there are plenty to chose from. My parents were from Newfoundland and salt cod was a regular part of our meal plan in Brooklyn,NY. BTW, Dad died recently at 89 and salt cod was not to blame. I haven't had any in a long time but with the holidays here I think i'll make a pot of it for my family to enjoy.

Found it! http://www.tallships.ca/recipes/dutchmess.php I suspect my mother just left the cream out since my father did not like "gravey" of any sorts.

dominosmom1324914130.4200 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006The Hudson Valley

Thank you Brabls. This one will work for me minus the cream too. I'll make it later in the week when my Toronto brother is visiting. He'll be shocked to see it and delighted to eat it. I'm off for the cod tomorrow to start it soaking on the stove just like my mother did.

Sage041324918757.553398 PostsRegistered 7/10/2011

In the Carribean we have a dish called salt fish (cod fish) and most of us make it for breakfast with boiled eggs. Some do it as dinner also along with other foods, such as potatoes, dumplings and so on ans so on.

We do not use the pork scraps, cream or apple sauce. My parents lived to be 97 and 83 and enjoyed this dish very much. It seems very strange to me the pork scraps are involved. Wouldn't that change the flavor of the cod fish?

Page 1 of 1