Shoes & Handbags Offers
22 Members and 9308 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

New to Lock n' Lock- Can I freeze in it?

Started 1323626260.887 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1323649887.343 by suzyQ3
replies

My large size containers have just shipped. They were on wait list for about 2 months! Anyway, can I use them to freeze soup, stews, etc? I need some long time users to advise me.

Thanks!

pegomyheart

Page 1 of 1
chickenbutt1323626523.6623567 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Sure! There are many of them in my freezers. One word of caution - don't drop a frozen one as plastic gets more brittle when it's frozen. It's not a flaw of the Lock & Lock, of course, it is just a characteristic of plastic.

For long-term storage of foods like soups, etc, however, I would freeze them in the Lock & Lock, then slide the food out and vacuum seal it to continue storing it in the freezer. Lock & Lock is airtight but that doesn't mean it is a vacuum so there will be ice crystals after a while, especially in your self-defrosting freezer.

For long-term freezer storage of DRY goods like rice, nuts, grains, seeds, coconut, etc, I use Lock & lock in the freezer because there is no moisture to condense and they will keep forever that way.

Last edited on 12/11/2011

Last edited on 12/11/2011

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

purrmom1323627255.53399 PostsRegistered 5/27/2010Mid-MO

Don't lock the lid closed until the contents are cooled a little. I always put whatever in the container in the refrigerator without the lid, let it cool & then put the lid on & freeze. The lid will create a vacuum with the container if you put it on while the contents are hot & you'll never get the lid off. They also clean up in the top rack of the dishwasher nicely. Remember, there's a warranty so just call if you have any problems & they'll replace the item.

chickenbutt1323627696.9323567 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Good point, Purrmom! I don't put hot or even warm foods in mine. I let them cool first, especially tomato-based foods. That also precludes staining. If you put hot tomato-based foods in there you could get staining. Of course, if you use them in the microwave with tomato-based foods you could also cause staining. I don't put plastic in the microwave, so it's not an issue, but I guess some people do.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

purrmom1323645584.8673399 PostsRegistered 5/27/2010Mid-MO

Chickenbutt:

I put mine in the microwave all the time. I just turn the lid upside down but I can't recall having microwaved anything tomato based so I can't comment on that.

suzyQ31323649887.34324518 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 12/11/2011 purrmom said:

Chickenbutt:

I put mine in the microwave all the time. I just turn the lid upside down but I can't recall having microwaved anything tomato based so I can't comment on that.

I've put L&L in the microwave maybe three times, each time according to the directions about either not locking the lid or turning the lid over, and each and every time my container and or lid has become damaged. I did get free replacements, but I now do not even attempt it. I just use a stoneware casserole or baking dish or, if applicable, a microwave-safe plate or bowl.

To the OP's question, I would hope that the item description makes it clear that these containers are freezer-safe. My freezer is full of L&L. To add to chickenbutt's sage advice about being careful not to drop one when you take it out of the freezer, you also want to be careful undoing the tabs to remove the lid. Don't force them, because they do get brittle from freezing. Just lift them gently. You can also run it under warm water for a few seconds.

The U.S. Fund for UNICEF -- working for the survival, protection, and development of children through fundraising, advocacy, and education

Page 1 of 1