Fashion Special Offers
61 Members and 12361 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Todd English Green Pans Stick!

Started 1323485093.91 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1323533523.13 by RocketMom

Todd English is on right now selling those pans again so I felt I should finally post a complaint about them. I purchased two green pan skillets from the Todd English collection. Both stick so badly that I have quit using them. The only time they didn't stick was the first couple of times I used them.

I oiled them and let them sit for hours as suggested by the original brochure. Never used high heat or put them in a dishwasher. I read that this has been a problem with these pans. Has anyone else experienced this?? I wish I had returned them when I could.

Page 1 of 1
Kesari1323485330.423417 PostsRegistered 7/7/2007The Prairie

With what I have heard about these pans--just like you have experienced, I am suprised that they are still on the market!

firstclass­intl1323485539.3273006 PostsRegistered 1/15/2006

I am always so tempted to get them but while I enjoy eating in his restaurants I cannot stand Joy Mangano and I believe this product is a collaboration they did together?

When he first came to HSN, I bought a 12" non stick pay from him and while I did love using it, it stained beyond belief after a few years and I recently tossed it.

Sad to hear you are not enjoying his Green Pans and I appreciate your post as it will keep me away from ordering. Thanks!

kimee1323485613.7768 PostsRegistered 4/9/2006

I've used them for years and they still work well and don't stick. Love the fact that they are green!!! You have to follow directions and clean them as recommended. If you experience sticking season them which means to heat the pan up add a little oil, immediately remove from heat and wipe out the oil.

onlyhappy11323486370.882813 PostsRegistered 11/19/2011

I have also used them for years. My DH has burnt the living life out of one of the frying pans, I have even taken an sos pad to it (which I think you are not suppose to do) , just re-season it and let him burn it again. He just doesn't get the concept of cooking on lower heat.

Sorry you are having problems.

Dream it, do it!
AKA: happy2write4you, Est 10/21/2007
The original, one and only!

seehorse1323486516.232083 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

They are awful. Don't know how they keep having them as Today's Special's.

I bought one as a "try me" and it started out non-stick, but very soon after started to stick. Because I had teflon pans and made mistakes with them, I was very careful to follow directions with this one. It is very disappointing.

I love my stainless steel. It doesn't stick and cleans up easily.

LolaK1323486824.82 PostsRegistered 12/9/2011

Thanks for all the replies. It's always amazing to me that with a lot of products (not just these pans), some users have great results while others do not. I have seasoned them several times. Works OK part way through the cooking, then it starts sticking again. I wonder if there was a bad lot that some of us got. I won't be buying any more though to test out that theory!!

I have some new Kitchen Aid non-stick skillets that I love. I remember some time ago reading a blog from complainers of these Green Pans and they had tried to return them and HSN would not take them back.

luvz2shop1323488065.903552 PostsRegistered 9/10/2006USA

I've had no problems at all with sticking.

Angel181323490039.507451 PostsRegistered 1/24/2011
On 12/9/2011 LolaK said:

Thanks for all the replies. It's always amazing to me that with a lot of products (not just these pans), some users have great results while others do not. I have seasoned them several times. Works OK part way through the cooking, then it starts sticking again. I wonder if there was a bad lot that some of us got. I won't be buying any more though to test out that theory!!

I have some new Kitchen Aid non-stick skillets that I love. I remember some time ago reading a blog from complainers of these Green Pans and they had tried to return them and HSN would not take them back.

Thing is, any coating that isn't PTFE will never match up to the slickness of traditional nonstick pans. Cook's Illustrated tested these so called "green pans"(not just the HSN ones) and all of them performed well at the start, but it all went down hill quickly. After testing, they recommended staying with traditional nonstick coatings. Even Whitford, one of DuPont's nonstick competitors, who make their own green ceramic coated pans rated fairly low compared with most of their other PTFE coatings. Their best ceramic coating only rated a 6 out of 10 on terms of slickness and durability while most of the PTFE coatings rated an 8 or higher.

Danibeth1323490332.9771734 PostsRegistered 5/17/2007

Fell for the Green pans when they were first offered. I had them boxed up and ready for the UPS guy while they were still warm with the food that stuck not to mention they were warped!! What a joke. AND: to those who have good luck...great! I did everything they said to do to prepare them for use. I have some of the old Tood English cookware non-stick and it has worked well for me.

Danibeth

lacey11323526053.832295 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009

I know they can be tricky, but well-seasoned cast iron will last forever and you can slide a fried egg right out of them. I never tried it but you could probably blow a crepe out, (a la Jan) if you don't mind being unsanitary!

CLEM1323527317.3112511 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008PA

I have had my set for a few years and don't use anything else, but mine don't stick.

bronxboric­ua1323529266.352 PostsRegistered 12/10/2011

OMG!! Finally other with same TE's green pans sticky situation. I purchased these back in 2009, not only does food stick but easily scratches. Initially contacted HSN, who promptly directed contacting to manufacturer, what a joke. Oh well, whatever, never again.

forrest1323531191.003791 PostsRegistered 11/23/2006Virginia

I have his copperfused pans and really love them- you have to careful with them but they are great. Just got his new grill- I had the WP one that had a recall, so was looking for something new.

I've given his pans to my sister in law and she loves them and bought some more herself.

RocketMom1323533523.132649 PostsRegistered 9/23/2007

When they start to stick just pull out your kitchen scouring powder (I use Barkeeper's Friend) and clean the interior of the pan even if it doesn't look dirty. Dry and reseason with vegetable oil, works like a charm. Have had mine since he launched years ago and was ready to throw them out when I figured I would give this a try as they were about to hit the trash. I had tried everything else. Soft Scrub does not work, only a scouring powder. I am surprised they don't recommend doing this every couple of months. Good luck.

Page 1 of 1