Shoes & Handbags Offers
115 Members and 11919 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Good sides with my Christmas ham?

Started 1323203564.473 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1323741636.45 by Margie F

I go through this every year trying to decide what to have for side dishes with my ham or turkey. This year its ham and my usual (boring) sides are broccoli/rice/cheese casserole, sweet potatos (casserole with butter/br sugar), and french style green beans. Can anyone share some good sides/recipes? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2
misspammie1323203676.8512269 PostsRegistered 3/14/2010now in Virginia

have you heard of 'scalloped pineapple' as a side? simple and good.

"jus' sanwiches and milk"

Sooner1323203898.4314657 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Collard greens with some of the ham cooked in them!

chickenbutt1323204132.6523567 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I'm making a ham later this month and it will just be mashed sweet potatoes and a veg.

I don't mix sweet (yuck) stuff into sweet potatoes. I make mashed sweet potatoes just like I do white potatoes, well except that I bake them instead of boil them before hand-mashing and I remove the skins because sweet potato skins don't break down like white ones do. I add a lot of butter, some hard cheese (parm, romano, asiago - whatever I have), s&p, and hand mash them. such great flavor! I don't know why people like to put sugary stuff into sweet potatoes.

I make a veg like green beans, asparagus, or brussels sprouts, in some sort of saute.

The green beans I made for Thanksgiving were a huge hit, so I expect he might request those again. I just wrote the recipe on the fly that day, so I'm glad I wrote it down! :)

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

cjmcp1323204428.4671575 PostsRegistered 12/23/2004Texas

Hash brown potato casserole is really good with ham.

HASH BROWN POTATO CASSEROLE
1 32 oz pkg frozen hash browns, thawed
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 8 oz carton sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
salt & pepper to taste
1 stick margarine, melted
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
3 T bacon bits
combine first 7 ingredients, spread mixture in 9x13 (or 1 size smaller will also work), top with bacon bits. bake in 350 oven for 45 minutes or until bubbly.<var id="yui-ie-cursor"></var>

kittyfan1323204900.8535817 PostsRegistered 11/6/2008Central Tx

Pineapple casserole is very good! Had it as a side with ham the other evening.

Shogirl1323204992.4531887 PostsRegistered 12/6/2010

This sounds weird but I just had it for lunch today and it was really tasty. I think it would be a perfect side for ham. Don't have a recipe but it seemed simple enough -

Sliced carrots

Raisins

Canned apples (I think they used canned, but you could make it with fresh and just cook it longer, but you'd also need some liquid for a binder)

Cinamon to taste

Walnut or pecan pieces

Mix the first 4 ingredients together and heat through. Sprinkle with nuts and serve.

Sooner1323205025.56314657 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Another idea is a crock pot full of fruit (fresh, canned or frozen) with some brown sugar and a little butter and spices of the season. It smells so good, and is great to eat alongside the ham or turkey, can be served hot or room temp., then the next day put over ice cream!

It is called spiced fruit or curried fruit and there are a million recipes for it. It can have peaches, pears, cherries, pineapple, apricots, etc. in any combination.

Hooty1323205111.00318456 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006~Sweet Home Alabama~
On 12/6/2011 kittyfan said:

Pineapple casserole is very good! Had it as a side with ham the other evening.

I love this with ham, but my DH not so much!

Hooty1323205320.1218456 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006~Sweet Home Alabama~

I will be having brunch with my ham, and I am having hash brown casserole, biscuits, assorted cheeses, and fruit salad.

coffee dri­nker1323205398.481237 PostsRegistered 7/17/2009
I vote for Corn Pudding. Anyone I've given this recipe to has said it's a "keeper" and IMO, it definitely is. Hope you'll give it a try. You won't be disappointed. It's an easy one to double.
Corn Pudding
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 eggs beaten
1-16 oz can corn (make sure you drain it)
1-16 oz. cream style corn
8 oz. sour cream (1 cup)
1-81/2 oz box Jiffy Corn Bread Mix
In a mixing bowl, combine butter or margarine, eggs, corns and sour cream. Add cornbread mix and stir well. Pour into long shallow baking dish. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Serves 8. Just to be sure it's cooked, I usually test it for doneness like you'd test a cake.

Elle in Fl1323206456.703488 PostsRegistered 12/6/2007Lake Michigan
This is what I usually get requests for:
Deviled eggs, chow-chow, candied yams, fried okra, mashed potatoes & gravy, cornbread stuffing, applesauce, cranberry sauce, baked corn on the cob, green bean casserole, cheesy onion casserole, buttermilk biscuits, southern peach cobbler, red velvet cake.

~~
Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt; sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth." ~Mark Twain~

hugsandkis­ses1323211361.641246 PostsRegistered 5/1/2007

Hi there ! First off I have to say I love a Fresh Ham ! ....even smoked honey ham is on my list of good eats ;-))

For starches I've made the following :

Sweet/Savory - a sliced relativily thin, Sweet and White potatoes w/ Vidalia onion, drizzled with lots of light olive oil and pepper and salt, bake on baking sheet or in large pyrex until cooked. (I love this combo).

This is my dads recipe: "home fries" its a like a hash of lg. cubed white potatoes sauteed till cooked w/ chopped green & red bell peppers and chopped yellow onion . ( all cooked till tender inside and slightly crispy on outside). Delicious next day with chopped ham and eggs.

For Vegis: I have made a yellow & green zucchini souffle.

Broccolli Rabe` with sauteed garlic and hot red pepper flakes.

Stringbeans sauteed with garlic and oil... and a drizzle of lemon to taste.

I think everyone makes what they like or thier families like...as you can see from the varied posts...Enjoy what ever your family likes to eat.

Merry Christmas!

"Sometimes good things fall apart so that Better Things can fall together"

annabellet1323219029.23299 PostsRegistered 4/3/2010
On 12/6/2011 misspammie said:

have you heard of 'scalloped pineapple' as a side? simple and good.

No I haven't but sounds like something DH would really like. I usually put a pineapple glaze over the ham which is the way he likes it. Thanks. I'll scout out a recipe.

annabellet1323219189.993299 PostsRegistered 4/3/2010
On 12/6/2011 Sooner said:

Collard greens with some of the ham cooked in them!

Gosh, I haven't thought of that since we moved north from S.C. My girlfriend made them all the time with a cast iron pan of corn bread. Thanks for the reminder.

annabellet1323219445.89299 PostsRegistered 4/3/2010
On 12/6/2011 cjmcp said:

Hash brown potato casserole is really good with ham.

HASH BROWN POTATO CASSEROLE
1 32 oz pkg frozen hash browns, thawed
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 8 oz carton sour cream
salt & pepper to taste
1 stick margarine, melted
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
3 T bacon bits
combine first 7 ingredients, spread mixture in 9x13 (or 1 size smaller will also work), top with bacon bits. bake in 350 oven for 45 minutes or until bubbly.<var id="yui-ie-cursor"></var>

Thanks, cjmcp. I actually have made that recipe and you're right, its very tasty. I never thought of that one with the ham. We just moved here, I'm still trying to find things and my old recipe box is among the missing..so thanks for taking the time to give the recipe.

annabellet1323219875.097299 PostsRegistered 4/3/2010
On 12/6/2011 chickenbutt said:

I'm making a ham later this month and it will just be mashed sweet potatoes and a veg.

I don't mix sweet (yuck) stuff into sweet potatoes. I make mashed sweet potatoes just like I do white potatoes, well except that I bake them instead of boil them before hand-mashing and I remove the skins because sweet potato skins don't break down like white ones do. I add a lot of butter, some hard cheese (parm, romano, asiago - whatever I have), s&p, and hand mash them. such great flavor! I don't know why people like to put sugary stuff into sweet potatoes.

I make a veg like green beans, asparagus, or brussels sprouts, in some sort of saute.

The green beans I made for Thanksgiving were a huge hit, so I expect he might request those again. I just wrote the recipe on the fly that day, so I'm glad I wrote it down! :)

I'm with you chickenbutt-not a big fan of the sweet with the sweet potatoes but everyone else really likes them. I like the basic mashed but I've never heard of adding cheese-and I am a big fan of Italian cheeses. Of course anything has to be good with lots of butter, right? I might just take a few potatos and make a small batch for us to try...along with the traditional, of course or I'd see little sad faces. thanks. and if you remember the green bean concoction let us know

annabellet1323220291.86299 PostsRegistered 4/3/2010
On 12/6/2011 Shogirl said:

This sounds weird but I just had it for lunch today and it was really tasty. I think it would be a perfect side for ham. Don't have a recipe but it seemed simple enough -

Sliced carrots

Raisins

Canned apples (I think they used canned, but you could make it with fresh and just cook it longer, but you'd also need some liquid for a binder)

Cinamon to taste

Walnut or pecan pieces

Mix the first 4 ingredients together and heat through. Sprinkle with nuts and serve.

It does sound simple but a good mix of flavors and right up my family's alley. Thanks shogirl, I've never had that before but raisins, apples and walnuts are a staple in the house so I'm sure they'd like it.

note2baby1323220718.4072578 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007Northern CA.

Scalloped or Au Gratin Potatoes. Many serve potatoe salad, mac. salad and a pasta salad...but that is to BBQ for me. I would rather have hot dishes.

I have a recipe that is made with sour cream and then baked if you would like I can post it.

RECIPE IS POSTED BELOW

Last edited on 12/6/2011

Last edited on 12/6/2011

Cavalcade1323220754.17150 PostsRegistered 6/10/2011

Both my grandma's were from the South and impressed upon me a preference for

Corn, Okra, Applesauce and Southern-style green bean [slow cooked w/ a little fatback - I know, some folks are gonna think that sounds bad for many reasons, you don't have to tell me], macaroni salad [the elbow kind w/diced egg, onions, celery, mustard/mayo], and yellow squash slow cooked w/a little sugar. Oh yeah, and cantaloupe and a pickle dish always on the table. Bisquits. Watermelon rind jelly. Gosh I miss my grandmas!!!

CoffeeDrinker [love your 'handle'] - that corn pudding sounds DIVINE!

Laura MI - all of those sound SO good!

note2baby1323221370.952578 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007Northern CA.

Sour Cream Cheesy Potatoes

6-7 boiled potatoes peeled and then shredded

3 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1 16 oz sour cream

Mix cheese and sour cream with soup and add to the potatoes. Sprinkle the top with cheese. Bake in a glass 9X13" or corningware dish covered with foil for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

DO NOT USE A METAL PAN!!!! iT will turn the potatoes grayish.

annabellet1323221714.67299 PostsRegistered 4/3/2010
On 12/6/2011 coffee drinker said:
I vote for Corn Pudding. Anyone I've given this recipe to has said it's a "keeper" and IMO, it definitely is. Hope you'll give it a try. You won't be disappointed. It's an easy one to double.
Corn Pudding
2 eggs beaten
8 oz. sour cream (1 cup)
In a mixing bowl, combine butter or margarine, eggs, corns and sour cream. Add cornbread mix and stir well. Pour into long shallow baking dish. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Serves 8. Just to be sure it's cooked, I usually test it for doneness like you'd test a cake.

This is definitely a "keeper", coffee drinker. It's a Thanksgiving dinner tradition so I just made it. I gave some leftover to my neighbor and she asked for the recipe.Too funny...thanks for sharing so others have the recipe as well.

jazzybelle1323222124.651950 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004NC

I second the pineapple casserole. Here's Paula Deen's recipe.

alicedee1323222952.747754 PostsRegistered 7/25/2010
On 12/6/2011 coffee drinker said:
Corn Pudding
2 eggs beaten
8 oz. sour cream (1 cup)

Coffee Drinker, my daughter brought this dish for Thanksgiving and it was really delicious. I'll be making this one for sure!

coffee dri­nker1323223343.7431237 PostsRegistered 7/17/2009

Annabellet & Alicedee, thank you for 2 votes of confidence. This is one of my all-time faves for holiday dinners. So easy and so delish. I gave this recipe to my dental hygienist and it was a big hit at her Thanksgiving dinner. Said she'd be adding it to her repertoire.

Ripley1091323258554.39346 PostsRegistered 2/1/2006

I like scalloped potatoes with ham, also the pineapple stuffing is fantastic. I'll see if I can dig out the recipes.....

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." - Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2