Fall Fashion Clearance
21 Members and 15544 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Freezing Christmas cookies?

Started 1322338696.98 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1322405225.003 by marky
replies

How do you all freeze your Christmas cookies? I have never done this before, I usually make them fresh, but would like to make it easier on myself this year. Is it still to early to do this? Thanks for all your advice! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Page 1 of 1
NovaStar1322356066.481323 PostsRegistered 11/9/2010

My MIL always started right after Thanksgiving. Not too early to start.

I usually bake mine fresh as well. But if I need alot of variety, I bake the bar cookies first. And freeze those. Plus, I will be needing the pan again for other cookies.

I have a tip to make it easier. Line the 8x8 baking pan with a double thickness of aluminum foil. After the bars are completely cooled, lift out the cookies (the double thickness makes it more sturdy & act as handles.) Then peel back one of the layers & use it to wrap the cookies (in a block.) Pop the whole thing in the freezer.

Other cookies freeze pretty well in an air tight container. I defrost in the fridge. I wouldn't freeze cookies with frosting. Or anything with meringue (gets sticky.) And fragile cookies, like sugar cut outs, tend to break for me. So I make those last.

darkpoet1322357002.94715 PostsRegistered 10/1/2010

I place the cookies I bake into freezer bags and put them in the freezer. You can usually keep them in the freezer for three or four weeks. You can also freeze the cookie dough you make. Allrecipes.com has some information about freezing cookies.

Karlakaye1322359568.12865 PostsRegistered 7/6/2009The beautiful Chesapeake Bay

I freeze cookies every Christmas with no problem. I already have five batches in the freezer now for delivery on Christmas Eve to friends. If they are delicate, I usually freeze them on cookie sheets before I put them in the freezer bags. If not, I just cool them and carefully put them in the freezer bags. I have tried dozens of recipes through the years---I get bored making the same ones---and have had very good luck (with just a few duds along the way!)

Happy Baking and Happy Holidays. Everyone LOVES home baked goodies...........

KK

"It's a dog-eat-dog-world and I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear." Norm on Cheers

brat19041322377120.56192 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Thank you all for the ideas! Smile I too like to make a lot of different kinds of cookies to give out to my friends and neighbors for Christmas. This will allow me to not be so hurried and rushed. Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!

Desertdi1322399363.06715670 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

I have found that cookies keep very well in tins, without freezing.

marky1322405225916 PostsRegistered 1/6/2007

I usually make my cookie dough, roll it into balls, and freeze them. I first place them on a cookie sheet in the freezer until they are firm and then place them into an airtight container or heavy freezer bag. You can give them as gifts in a pretty freezer-proof container lined with plastic wrap along with instructions that they be kept frozen and how to bake them ---or just get a few out of the freezer at any time and pop them into the oven for a quick treat of freshly baked cookies.

I also freeze the baked cookies ahead as others have stated. I have also made the cookies in a size that will fit into an empty Pringles can. They travel nicely and can be mailed with minimum breakage.

Page 1 of 1