Top Rated on Easy Pay
141 Members and 12688 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Amazing 16 lb NuWave Turkey Started at 1 PM and Ate at 4:45

Started 1322199843.223 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1323371393.283 by rdbiker
replies

Once again we had a superbly juicy turkey done in the NuWave oven that finished before I even expected based on the "recommended" times/weight from NuWave.

Even before cooking it, I used the Alton Brown convection method of thawing it and it went so fast I was forced to stop it overnight or it would be thawed too soon in the morning. Using a 5 gallon cooler and the 16lb bird, it went from completely frozen to about 90% thawed from 6PM to 9:30 PM. In the late morning on Thursday I took the lid off of the cooler and again allowed water to drip one drop every 2-4 seconds and the bird was completely thawed by noon when I took it out of the wrapper, rinsed it out and set it back in the refrigerated water. At about 12:50 I took it out of the water, patted it dry and then started it upside down by about 1 PM after injecting some creole butter into the legs, thighs, breasts and back portions. According to my calculations, it was due to be turned over in 96 minutes, but I looked at the progress after a couple of bastes and decided to turn it about about 90 minutes.

What happened next suprised even me as after turning the bird over and after a few bastings, I took the temperature in the thigh after 75+ minutes and it already was over 160 degrees but I continued cooking for a few more minutes and stopped it before 3:45PM and already the temperature had exceeded in some parts of the bird 200.

I then mashed the potatoes that I had warming in my pressure cooker while the bird was still sitting in the NuWave resting. After finishing them I packed them in my thermal bowl and loaded them into the car. Next I lifted out the turkey and set it in a roaster pan with a lid and then separated the fat from the juices and put the juices into a Lock & Lock and loaded the car and drove to parents home where after carving the bird, we were eating at 4:45 PM.

Amazing bird that you could wring out the juices from the breast !

Page 1 of 1
LilyBell21322429066.537654 PostsRegistered 1/5/2011

I cooked a 14 pound turkey yesterday in my Nuwave oven. (My first time to cook a turkey this way). It cooked even faster than expected. It browned beautifully, with crisp skin, and I do not believe we've ever before had such a delicious and moist turkey.

Rainbows a­nd Roses1322431392.31718545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

Where did you ladies buy your nuwave and what all can you cook and how much was it?l Do you really love it?

"Crying is for plain women, Pretty women go shopping." Oscar Wilde

"The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion but cosmetics are easier to buy." YSL

LilyBell21322433958.333654 PostsRegistered 1/5/2011

I bought mine from Amazon just a month ago. I'm very happy with it, and everything I've cooked in it so far, including chicken, fish and beef.

4uthebest1322438936.0673526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 11/27/2011 Rainbows and Roses said:

Where did you ladies buy your nuwave and what all can you cook and how much was it?l Do you really love it?

I have had one for about 8 years now and probably a better question is what can you not cook and I really have not found the answer to that yet. I have a flavorwave /Sharper Image and it basically sits in the closet unless I want to use another appliance with the NuWave.

RichieRich1323214102.613103 PostsRegistered 10/29/2004

i've had my Nuwave oven for 3 years and cook pork, turkey, ham, chicken, baked potatoes, texas fries (quarter or 1/8 the potatoes, put some olive oil on them with some salt, pepper and rosemary and put them on the 4" rack for 20 minutes, turning them at 10 minutes) they come out really good to me. i've put veggies in tin foil with a dab of water and loosely put the top together and steam them. The times they give are pretty accurate.

Beebee21323303059.6033903 PostsRegistered 5/31/2009

R&R, We just ordered three from NuWave's site. I wanted the white ones and they're cheaper than the black ones. It's a little complicated figuring out your order. There are some things they give you 'free', but you pay the s&h, which isn't cheap. However, it's still a very good deal. Just proceed with caution. The extender ring set has to be purchased separately and is about $35.00.

http://www.mynuwaveoven.com/?ref_version=PPC-ADWORDS&gclid=CNzngMCX8awCFacZQgodUCMJJA

kachina6241323325021.15315665 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
On 11/27/2011 4uthebest said:

<br /> I have had one for about 8 years now and probably a better question is what can you not cook and I really have not found the answer to that yet. I have a flavorwave /Sharper Image and it basically sits in the closet unless I want to use another appliance with the NuWave.

What's the difference between the Nuwave and the Sharper Image oven? Aren't they both convection ovens?

4uthebest1323333036.073526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 12/8/2011 kachina624 said:
On 11/27/2011 4uthebest said:

<br /> I have had one for about 8 years now and probably a better question is what can you not cook and I really have not found the answer to that yet. I have a flavorwave /Sharper Image and it basically sits in the closet unless I want to use another appliance with the NuWave.

What's the difference between the Nuwave and the Sharper Image oven? Aren't they both convection ovens?

Yes they are both convection type ovens, but the main differences are far infrared vs near infrared and no halogen tube vs halogen tube. .. NuWave vs Flavorwave

As I said I have the FlavorWave and it sits in the closet as the NuWave cooks faster and is easier to use without risk of burning forearms on the glass bowl trying to lift things in and out of the smaller diameter opening. I find it much easier to tilt the NuWave dome and it gives me unrestricted access to the contents to manipulate.

rdbiker1323371393.283126 PostsRegistered 2/28/2010
Same for 16lb. Bird too! Cooked much faster than the calculated time which is why you have to use a thermometer. I've had mine for about two years. Bought mine off the 'net (not Amazon) which included extender ring and pizza accessories. I've also cooked Kansas city steaks, burgers and ham. Cooked wings frozen, Cornish hens and of course chicken. Amazing how much fat drips into the tray which is why l'll never cook a whole chicken in my pressure cooker, sorry Bob Warden!

One Ring to rule them all,
One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them.

Page 1 of 1