Spring & Summer Beauty
112 Members and 14346 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Help!! My oven coil just blew up on my 20-y/o range!

Started 1321653357.537 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1321826736.143 by AnotherView2

This has to be the worst time (unless it was next Thursday morning) for my oven to conk out.

The heating element in my elec. range oven got super-red hot (glowing), then I heard a loud POP -- and then, it wouldn't go past 135 degrees.

So, I am trying not to panic, but honestly, I really, really hate to spend $150 or more on a service call + parts/labor from Sears, because it's at least 16 y/o, as we've been here that long, and it wasn't new then.

BUT it's almond color, and matches the fridge, sink, wallpaper, countertops, etc. If I get new, I want white since I hate stainless steel with a passion plus it's too contemporary for my home decor style, and black's just too hard to keep pristine and spotless.

Lowes have deals on packages for stove, fridge and dishwashers, but I don't need the other items, plus I also hate the french door fridges and wouldn't take one on a bet.

I am a paid member of consumer reports on-line, and even the $1,500 ranges aren't 100% perfect ratings, etc.

So......would you just shell out the $$$ for repair? I'm trying not to hyperventilate here this evening, girls.

Page 1 of 1
lacey11321653634.772048 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009

My 20 year old gas range had an oven that stopped getting warm. We went shopping and I was very put off. The new ranges are not cheap. The metal is very thin, the knobs are flimsy. Most of them have an electric control panel, if that goes.... Long story, short- we called the repair man, about $200 for a new ignightor. I'm glad we didn't have to buy another one.

ranna1321653875.65334 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007

my oven did the same thing a few years ago and i replaced it my self really simple. i got the new coil at a place that sells appliance parts. and it was way less than 200.00

Snowpuppy1321654151.975973 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005Up North, MI

Get the make and the model # off the metal placcard plate on the oven. Should be on the inside of the door. If not there, then you'll have to pull it out and search for it on the back.

ITA w/ranna. Call your local appliance parts place and see if it's in stock. It may not even be produced any more. I had almond appliances in the 80's.

Ask the parts guy if it's a simple plug in or if it's more complicated. Some electric ovens have the same plug in type units as your stove top burners. Not too hard to replace.

Beebo1321655365.196958 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010

It makes me think of Thanksgiving eve about 10 years ago when the hinges broke on my oven door. Fortunately it happened as I was taking the last pie out of the oven and we were going to my parents' house for Thanksgiving dinner. I ended up repacing the hinges and I remember it wasn't cheap. Redid the whole kitchen a few years later, but I still miss that stove...it had a double oven that was wonderful for holidays.

Marp1321656060.47713480 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western NC

Last year about this time I had to replace the element in my oven. Ordered ian element from Sears and my brother installed it in minutes. Was really simple to do.

A dog chasing his tail eventually bites himself.

Luckylu II1321656483.7631408 PostsRegistered 2/7/2011
On 11/18/2011 ranna said:

my oven did the same thing a few years ago and i replaced it my self really simple. i got the new coil at a place that sells appliance parts. and it was way less than 200.00

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Atta girl!

If you like the range, replace the part. Then you can get a new one under less stressful circumstances and you can shop around.

I just ordered the electronic control board for my KA gas range because:

A. I have watched them change it so often and it is not hard.

B. I haven't decided what I'm going to get in it's place

C. Maybe it will last a couple more years and somebody will invent a better wheel?

"Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest."
— Sam Levenson

csv3201321656637.316724 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007

Hi OP, mine burner blew the other day, it was like fireworks going off in my kitchen. To have it fixed was only about $80, but the repair man turned the burner on and it didn't heat, whatever is behind the dial where you turn it on blew out too, and it ended up being around $150 for the whole repair. Sigh. They just don't make things like they used to.

Nightowlz1321656961.2278835 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Sorry to hear about your oven. It's not a good time for that to happen. If you like it replace the element. I would call places in town to see if they have one in stock. You should be able to replace it yourself. If they don't have one in stock you may have to pay extra to get it shipped overnight so you have it before Thanksgiving. If you want a new one I would compare the ones on the Consumer Reports site with Sears & Lowe's or who sells them in your area & read the reviews on their site. If there is not one from Consumer Reports site that you want I would read reviews on line to help you decide which you may want to buy. If you buy a new one you may be stuck buying what's in stock.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

csv3201321657924.476724 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007
On 11/18/2011 nightowlz said:

Sorry to hear about your oven. It's not a good time for that to happen. If you like it replace the element. I would call places in town to see if they have one in stock. You should be able to replace it yourself. If they don't have one in stock you may have to pay extra to get it shipped overnight so you have it before Thanksgiving. If you want a new one I would compare the ones on the Consumer Reports site with Sears & Lowe's or who sells them in your area & read the reviews on their site. If there is not one from Consumer Reports site that you want I would read reviews on line to help you decide which you may want to buy. If you buy a new one you may be stuck buying what's in stock.

But it just depends....is it just the element that plugs in or the thing underneath the stove top which the element plugs into. Plus in my case, it wasn't only the element and the thing it plugs into, but the thing behind the dial blew out, too. I know he wasn't ripping me off, as all 3 pieces were black and melted from the blow out. Like I said in the previous post, I had fireworks in my kitchen. Another reason, ladies, never to leave things on the stove unattended. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

gypsy21321659997.2531900 PostsRegistered 5/24/2010

My oven went out on Christmas Day two years ago. Fortunately it still cooked but was very slow. We finally got the meal cooked about two hours after it should have been. That was NOT fun! Hope you can get yours going soon and it won't cost too much. Happy Thanksgiving!

WorldofWar­craft1321663383.71239 PostsRegistered 11/8/2011

Oh, girls...........I'm so doing the happy dance!!!!!!!

Phoned Sears, they DO still have the part but it's $41.99 + $36 to have it here by Tuesday.

BUT I got the part no. and did a bit of online looking, and OMG - the closest price was $25. Most were under $25 for the identical part!!!

Phoned Sears back, asked if they would price match - he said he could go as low as $15.

I nearly fainted.

So, to have the guaranteed shipping so it's here no later than Tuesday + tax + part = $34.15!

I could have driven 40 miles round trip tomorrow (Sat.) to their shop and paid $41.99 + tax, but I'd have to get there before noon, and it's up in the thick of road construction on the interstate, etc.

I'm one happy girl tonight!!! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

csv3201321668124.6536724 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007
On 11/18/2011 WorldofWarcraft said:

Oh, girls...........I'm so doing the happy dance!!!!!!!

Phoned Sears, they DO still have the part but it's $41.99 + $36 to have it here by Tuesday.

BUT I got the part no. and did a bit of online looking, and OMG - the closest price was $25. Most were under $25 for the identical part!!!

Phoned Sears back, asked if they would price match - he said he could go as low as $15.

I nearly fainted.

So, to have the guaranteed shipping so it's here no later than Tuesday + tax + part = $34.15!

I could have driven 40 miles round trip tomorrow (Sat.) to their shop and paid $41.99 + tax, but I'd have to get there before noon, and it's up in the thick of road construction on the interstate, etc.

I'm one happy girl tonight!!! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I only hope it's just the coil, not the part the coil plugs into. All of mine went, the coil, the part it plugs into and the part behind the dial where you turn the burner on.

jewel31321674675.6371762 PostsRegistered 6/11/2006West Coast
I agree that you can repair it yourself. Begin with a new coil and if that isn't the fix, a repairman (or a handy person) can repair further.

You'll never have significance in this life if it's all about you.

RedTop1321814813.483711 PostsRegistered 9/1/2010

I've had to replace stove elements several times through the years, and am thankful we have an appliance repair shop in town that carries replacement parts in stock. Whether it's new burners, drip pans, or stove elements, I am thankful for the convenience of being able to walk in and buy what I need instead of waiting for a special order.

MScotty1321825363.71387 PostsRegistered 1/13/2010

The heating element is like the filliment in a light bulb, electricity flows threw it which causing to get hot. That being said, something has to control that flow, plus I think there is some type of safety device where by if the oven begins to over heat, it will shut down.

flickerbulb1321825991.1371418 PostsRegistered 1/2/2005

I fix my appliances by myself and found You Tube to be very helpful! Type in element replacment for stove and I am sure things will pop up!

Just make sure to unplug the stove before you begin work! Safety first!

GoodStuff1321826429.3713598 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

Replacing an oven element is no big dealie. They burn out after a long time, just like light bulbs, and you just take out the old one and plug in a new one. Get the model number off the stove/oven and you should be able to check with an appliance parts supplier in your area and buy a new element. Be sure to unplug the unit before you take out the old/put in the new element. Much better this happened today than in the middle of roasting your turkey on Thanksgiving day when everything is closed!

upallnight11321826655.4873882 PostsRegistered 3/21/2005the frozen tundra

My hats are off to you do-it-yourselfers. I envy you. I don't think I'd be able to bend down to see what burned out.

upallnight1

hot pink, sunshine yellow, nectarine, flamingo, hemp, crimson, tortoise jewelry...happily anticipating these upcoming Linea colors!

AnotherVie­w21321826736.143344 PostsRegistered 6/19/2011
On 11/18/2011 ranna said:

Happened to us, too. We called the company that made the oven and told them all the pertinent serial numbers for the model. They took our credit card number over the phone and shipped us the replacement very quickly. Hubby had it installed by himself very quickly and easily.

Page 1 of 1