Shoes & Handbags Offers
168 Members and 12806 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

How Do I make Turkey Breast In Slow Cooker?

Started 1318691908.363 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1319074311.833 by Babyfran

I have a 7 pound turkey breast I want to cook tomorrow in the slow cooker. How do I do it? Do I pour Chicken broth over it? Do I use just a little oil? I've never cooked a turkey breast in the slow cooker or crock pot. Please help! Thank you in advance.

Bobbisue-Former nurse...
Buck- forever in my heart...

Page 1 of 1
CalmInTheH­eart1318692156.5837048 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007

I almost always cook my turkey breasts in the crock pot. Just rinse it as usual, salt, pepper, and put it in the crock pot. It's so easy. I usually start it on high and then turn it to low after 45 minutes. I usually plan on it cooking for 8 hours but it's sometimes done sooner -- it depends on how big the breast is. When done, take it out and let it sit for a little bit before cutting. And it's never dry.

I've also used roasters, like Nesco. They don't take as long to cook.

But I think I like the crock pot best as I get lots of juice and can use it for turkey and noodles and all kinds of things during the week.

Last edited on 10/15/2011

Peace

nancypoo1318692168.341413 PostsRegistered 5/13/2011

It seems like slow cooking would make it dry?? Oven, high heat, 1-1/2-2 hours perfect.

Maggie Nol­ia1318692321.914669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006

Recent thread --

http://community.qvc.com/forums/Kitchen-and-Food-Talk/topic/218274/really-liked-slow-cooker-turkey-breast.aspx

After reading that, I made turkey breast in Crock Pot for first time (with onion soup mix) and it was delicious. I, too, thought it would be dry, but it wasn't. I'll never cook one any other way.

Buzzards fly in packs. Eagles soar alone.

Pray for the USA.

"Let's roll." ~ Todd Beamer, 9/11/01.

Bobbisue1318718219.5913592 PostsRegistered 4/25/2010

Thank you.

Bobbisue-Former nurse...

Mary Bailey1318719726.0077212 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004sw of Chicago

Today I made a turkey breast from Aldi's.

I did a dry rub of our favorite herbs and slow cooked in in the gravy that came with it. I added baby bella mushrooms to the gravy when I removed & sliced the turkey breast. Everyone loved it!

Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.

Will B1318719930.9372034 PostsRegistered 5/10/2006North FL

Bobbisue, I did one probably a month ago in the slow cooker. I used some spices that I mixed up. Spread some butter over the breast and then sprinkled the seasoning over. I did add some broth (about a cup). I was planning for it to take about 8 hrs. but it was less. It was very moist and we don't usually like the left overs because we think turkey gets a strong taste but this didn't and we had it several times. I would think it would freeze okay. I think the onion soup mix would work instead of my spices. Sounds like your weather is getting cold and it will be a good day for turkey. We are pretending here in Florida that it is fall. It has been in the 80s but the humidty is down.

doglover31318748100.5879551 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

these were posted here quite a while ago.

TURKEY BREAST WITH MARMALADE SAUCE

• turkey breast (to fit in crockpot)
  • 1 jar orange marmalade or pineapple orange jam
  • cinnamon
<h3>Preparation:</h3>

Place a turkey breast in the slow cooker/Crock Pot, pour 1 jar Orange Marmalade or Pineapple/Orange Jam over the breast and sprinkle a little cinnamon on top. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for about 4 hours.

from Candi

someone sent me this one.

TURKEY & STUFFING

PUT A BOX OF STOVE TOP STUFFING(PREPARED USING 1/2 THE LIQUID IT CALLS FOR) IN THE BOTTOM OF THE SLOW COOKER, LAY A TURKEY BREAST OVER IT. PUT IN 1/4 CUP BROTH THAN ON TOP LAY A CAN OF CRANBERRY SAUCE. COOK ON LOW 8 HOURS, SERVE WITH GREEN BEANS AND MASHED POTATOES

This easy turkey recipe was shared by jripple.

<h3>Ingredients:</h3>
  • 1 turkey breast, thawed in refrigerator
  • 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix (I used the herb one)
  • 1 can cranberry sauce

Place the turkey in the Crock Pot. Mix together cranberry sauce and soup mix and pour over turkey.

Cook on high for 2 hours, then on low for 6 to 7 hours.

I mix a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of cream of celery soup together, no water , and add one envelope of dry onion soup mix to that. Pour it over a whole turkey breast and its delish,,no gravy to make, its already done. I use the same amounts and sometimes do a 1/2 breast instead of a whole one. The gravy is very good mcall1020

only shops­ online1318749631.2935523 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006

Here's one thing that I always use whenever I roast meat in the slow cooker. I always put all of the ingredients in an oven roasting bag. They now make bags for crock pots, but I've always just used the medium or large size oven roasting bag.

After everything is mixed, and in the bag, I secure the top with one of the ties that come in the box, and leave a finger-width opening in the top. Then I cut off the excess.

It keeps things extra moist and makes clean-up really easy.

Bobbisue1318789829.1813592 PostsRegistered 4/25/2010

The turkey has turned out great very moist and tender. I buttered the breast and used my salt, pepper, a little sage, and a half cup of chicken broth. Then I poured a can of cranberry sauce on top of the breast. Thanks for all your suggestions and recipes. Slow cooking a turkey breast is much better than roasting in the oven.

Bobbisue-Former nurse...

Mustangshar1318790183.17580 PostsRegistered 12/7/2006Chicago Burbs
This sounds fabulous!! I must do this

Sharon :)
WNYgal said The Shame Sisters, otherwise known as Linea Anonymous.

FunNurse1318793643.357191 PostsRegistered 9/27/2008
My recipe is sinful. Turkey, spices and a stick of butter. So good and easy.

markswife1318795678.8271927 PostsRegistered 12/4/2007
On 10/16/2011 doglover3 said:

• turkey breast (to fit in crockpot)
  • 1 jar orange marmalade or pineapple orange jam
  • cinnamon

Place a turkey breast in the slow cooker/Crock Pot, pour 1 jar Orange Marmalade or Pineapple/Orange Jam over the breast and sprinkle a little cinnamon on top. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for about 4 hours.

from Candi

TURKEY & STUFFING

PUT A BOX OF STOVE TOP STUFFING(PREPARED USING 1/2 THE LIQUID IT CALLS FOR) IN THE BOTTOM OF THE SLOW COOKER, LAY A TURKEY BREAST OVER IT. PUT IN 1/4 CUP BROTH THAN ON TOP LAY A CAN OF CRANBERRY SAUCE. COOK ON LOW 8 HOURS, SERVE WITH GREEN BEANS AND MASHED POTATOES

<h3>Ingredients:</h3>
  • 1 turkey breast, thawed in refrigerator
  • 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix (I used the herb one)
  • 1 can cranberry sauce

Place the turkey in the Crock Pot. Mix together cranberry sauce and soup mix and pour over turkey.

I mix a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of cream of celery soup together, no water , and add one envelope of dry onion soup mix to that. Pour it over a whole turkey breast and its delish,,no gravy to make, its already done. I use the same amounts and sometimes do a 1/2 breast instead of a whole one. The gravy is very good mcall1020

I tried the turkey and stuffing one, it was great! thanks

camochef1318859830.847579 PostsRegistered 3/28/2010Gettysburg, Pa.

This is a little late for this time, but in the future you may wish to consider brining your turkey breast before cooking by any of the recommended methods.

Brining removes most all the blood and impurites from the bird by a process known as osmossis. I brine all poultry... turkey, chicken, pheasant, game hens, etc. There are hundreds of brining recipes available online. The most important ingredient is salt. this is what allows the moisture to be absorbed into the cells and the impurities to flush out.

Other ingredients are sugars and assorted aromatics and flavorings, but its the salt that allows a brine to work its magic. I usually brine overnight. Once brined, discard the mixture and pat dry the bird with paper towels, inside and out. You'll be shocked at the impurities that have been removed from what your about to eat. I then brush on some quality extra virgin olive oil and add my spices. I like a little garlic powder, onion powder, ancho chili powder or paprika and my secret ingredient parmesan herb seasoning!

Place on rack in cooker above a cup or two of chicken broth. Cook until thickest part of the breast registers 180 degree's on probe thermometer.

Let rest about 15 minutes before slicing.

Enjoy!

doglover31318882086.49551 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 10/16/2011 markswife said:
On 10/16/2011 doglover3 said:

<ul> <li>turkey breast (to fit in crockpot)</li> <li>1 jar orange marmalade or pineapple orange jam</li> <li>cinnamon</li> </ul> <h3>Preparation:</h3>

from Candi

TURKEY & STUFFING

<h3>Ingredients:</h3> <ul> <li>1 turkey breast, thawed in refrigerator</li> <li>1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix (I used the herb one)</li> <li>1 can cranberry sauce</li> </ul> <h3>Preparation:</h3>

I tried the turkey and stuffing one, it was great! thanks

glad you liked it, got it here and always like to shares ones I got here with others than may be newer to the boards.

AnneMary1318886473.623659 PostsRegistered 10/22/2008Anchorage, AK

I too joined the bandwagon of those who cook boneless turkey breasts in the slow cooker a couple of weeks ago, and I, too, will not cook it any other way in the future!!

Our Costco finally got in their bigger Butterball breasts in again and I couldn't wait to try it. I've been reading for months about how all you guys fix yours. I did it simply by washing and patting dry the breast, sprinkling it with just salt and pepper, putting it in the pot, and dumping one can of chicken broth over it. I was very surprised to see crock pot instructions for cooking on the Butterball covering! I felt like I was really behind times. I left it on high for about an hour and turned to low for only a few more hours. It was done probably about 2 hours before it was supposed to be.

For gravy I made up two packages of Knorr Turkey Gravy Mix in a skillet and poured the great juice from the crok pot in it. If I remember correctly, I tasted and added some water in it to get it to taste right.....maybe added more salt and pepper and thickened it to the way we like it. DH said the whole meal was excellent, and I was floored!

I fixed a box of Walmart's own brand of turkey stuffing because that's what DH brought home from the store, and along with cranberry sauce, etc. it really was good. I swear, I think the Walmart brand was tastier than StoveTop. It didn't seem so salty. We ate turkey for 3 days afterwards, and I still can't believe how moist and flavorful the meat was by cooking it in the crock pot.

I am so glad you guys write about things like this!! I've learned so much reading these cooking and food sites. I'm 74 and I love to cook and bake (which is constantly),and I can tell you right now..... you're never too old to learn!!! AnnMary

sugarsmom1319043164.26379 PostsRegistered 4/16/2007Kingsville, MD

I was very intrigued when I saw the post about cooking a turkey breast in a slow cooker. I cook a lot in my slow cooker, but never gave it a thought to try a turkey breast. I started reading through all of the posts, and got a little confused because some were talking about a boneless breast and others were talking about a bone-in breast. Honestly, I never knew that Butterball had a boneless turkey breast. I went on the Butterball website to see what kind of instructions there were for the boneless, and they had a pretty basic (no seasonings!) recipe for cooking it in the slow cooker. I did notice that they mention that you should check the temperature at the center, ends and near the top after 4 hours for food safety. They indicated that the turkey must reach 140 degresss within 4 hours. I didn't notice that anyone had mentioned checking the temperature after 4 hours. Thanks for all the great suggestions for seasonings.

Knit-Chick1319043886.193828 PostsRegistered 12/29/2007Northeast Ohio
On 10/15/2011 Mary Bailey said:

Today I made a turkey breast from Aldi's.

I did a dry rub of our favorite herbs and slow cooked in in the gravy that came with it. I added baby bella mushrooms to the gravy when I removed & sliced the turkey breast. Everyone loved it!

Mary, I never noticed the turkey breasts at Aldi's. I'll have to check those out next time I'm there.

traveler1319044886.76311259 PostsRegistered 12/14/2004Alaska

I have never brined a turkey because I'm not sure about the directions. Found a clean bucket, brine recipe, now do I refrigerator overnight? Who has room? And the idea of leaving meat out overnight, even in a brine, concerns me. what am I missing?

camochef1319072417.523579 PostsRegistered 3/28/2010Gettysburg, Pa.
On 10/19/2011 traveler said:

I have never brined a turkey because I'm not sure about the directions. Found a clean bucket, brine recipe, now do I refrigerator overnight? Who has room? And the idea of leaving meat out overnight, even in a brine, concerns me. what am I missing?

Traveler,

There are choices to make. You can add ice to your clean bucket with the brine, If your overnight temps are around 40 degrees, you can simply let it set in your unheated garage or out on the floor of your vehicle. You can place the entire turkey and brine in a foodsafe bag , seal it and set it in your fridge, but be sure to set it in a roasting pan or something just in case it leaks. If you have an extra fridge in your basement or garage you can place the entire bucket in it.

If I have a really large turkey and the nightly temps are to high, I'll simply call my buddy who has a few extra refrigerators and place the entire bucket in an empty fridge in his shop. That rarely happens as I usually do my turkeys around thanksgiving to Christmas and the temps are usually good for sitting it in my truck overnight.

Smaller chickens can just go into a foodsafe bag and into the fridge for an overnight brine. Then rinse and pat dry.

Camo

Babyfran1319074311.79310582 PostsRegistered 12/11/2010

I tried this today........and DH and I had it for dinner. Very good.....and so moist!!! I highly recommend trying the turkey in the slow cooker! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Page 1 of 1