TSV(R) Preview
86 Members and 15837 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Baked Goodies for Christmas Gifts & Containers

Started 1315243250.963 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1315736611.607 by gkelly5744

I'm thinking about giving some baked goodies this year. Maybe something like a sweet bread with or without fruit and possibly a jar of homemade jam.

If you give baked goodies - or are thinking about it this year - for Christmas gifts, what do you plan to make and how will you wrap it?

I almost forgot to ask - if you have an online source for Christmas tins/containers, please post the link. TIA!

Page 1 of 1
LindaCinKY1315245857.1831103 PostsRegistered 11/25/2009

Here's a pic of a cinnamon bread we love.

cinnamon bread.jpg

jtdmum1315248314.547511 PostsRegistered 1/26/2008

Hi Linda==I'm baking for Christmas, always do. Making standard tea cookies which my family loves and also the traditional candies-scotch kisses and pralines.

I wait for the rest until the season comes closer to see what ingredients look best where it's so seasonal here.

FYI..If you're looking for packaging, HSN has some really cute looking Martha Stewart candy cane and snowflake bakeware packaging on clearance right now. I just picked up a few and I'll store them.

RE1315273182.827628 PostsRegistered 2/17/2008

I begin Christmas baking the day after Thanksgiving. I am well-known for my baking. Too soon to begin listing recipes.

However, almost all my Christmas shopping is done and bagged already.

I highly recommend two, very inexpensive web sites:

collections etc.com

lakesidecollection.com

Both sites offer 24 pc set of aluminum containerd in 2 sizeds w/holiday covers for $4.95 or $5.95.

Lakeside also sells a ceramic 3pc snowman treat jar set with air tight lids for $7.95 per set. (I received 6 jars and they're really cute!)

Re{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Liz1231315273262.537776 PostsRegistered 12/19/2010

I really like when I get raspberry jam or other fruit spreads for gifts. :)

fashion_fr­eak1315274485.93859 PostsRegistered 9/23/2009

the dollar store actually has cute tins/ jars, etc as it gets closer to Christmas

FunkyHulaG­irl1315274790.5875952 PostsRegistered 6/25/2011Wherever I go, there I am!

I make a lot of cookies for gifts, and always find really nice containers for them in Walmart - they have Christmas decorated buckets in different sizes, as well as decorated round plastic containers that come in sets of 2 or 3. Last year I also found some nice Christmas bakery boxes with clear windows in Big Lots, and Dollar Tree had nice decorated bags that ranged in size from just big enough for a few cookies to big enough for a loaf of quick bread. At Dollar Tree I also got some nice holiday platters, and coordinating printed cellophane to wrap them in, with a tie at the top.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

AnneMary1315278432.423624 PostsRegistered 10/22/2008Anchorage, AK

All of the ideas below are great! Sometimes I'm really surprised at what our Walmarts up here carry for X-Mas containers and tins, etc. One thing I've found though is that you have to shop early for the nice ones and sizes that you might need.

I don't give away as much baked stuff now like I used to years ago. However, one thing I do give, which started with one person (my hairdresser) and now my whole family and then some ask for is coated popped corn, or as we call it up here, POLAR POPCORN. I melt the white (I think it's called almond flavor) coating, which I get at Walmart. Pop a lot of corn, melt the coating in the microwave, and then mix well (usually in a large roasting pan.) Spread out somewhat so it's one layer and not packed, on tin foil lined big cookie sheets, chill til it's set up and break apart as necessary. Three people like it coated heavily, but the rest like it kind of light-med. However, they'll take it any way it comes out!!

Pretty tins were getting kinda pricey, like $3.00 on up for good sized ones, so this is what I do. I use the X-Mas decorated gift bags. I now know what size I need, as some people get 2 bags of the corn and some get 3, 4, or 5. I put the popped corn in the heavy duty gallon sized bags that have the big plastic zip on top, put a piece of tissue in the gift bag just like for a present and set the bags of corn in that. It makes a nice presentation and is much cheaper too. Some get 2 bags, and some get 3, 4, or 5. I never make it too far ahead of the holidays though, but usually about the 19-20th or so. AND IT'S ALMOST AN ALL DAY JOB TOO!!

sal20081315280962.693174 PostsRegistered 7/2/2010

If you have a Big Lots near you, check them out. They always have a great selection of tins, bags, boxes, etc. and the prices are very good.

glmama1315610185.3418278 PostsRegistered 12/8/2006

I always bake for Christmas. I give little extra treats along with gifts to the ILs, neighbors, etc. I usually do about 3-4 types of cookies or biscotti and generally place in clear bags with bows or inexpensive tins or plastic containers from Target or elsewhere. :)

Over 40. Dark hair. Fair, with mild-moderate Rosacea. Finicky skin. Did I mention--Gorgeous? ;)

wendydarli­ng1315610840.427637 PostsRegistered 1/15/2009

I second the Collections site, they have a great set of holiday tins for a great price. I usually make fudge & breads. But this is a great thread & i'm looking forward to more comments!

lork1315615239.973359 PostsRegistered 3/20/2009

I love to give/receive gifts of food for Christmas. My husband is a teacher and years ago one of his students gave him a pan of plain dinner rolls. They were so good and made our simple dinner something special. Since then I've made a lot of dinner rolls for our kids' teachers/co-workers. I make them in round cake pans, wrap them on red/holiday plates with plastic wrap/curling ribbon. Cinnimon rolls are a nice holiday treat, too, and can be packaged the same way.

I also like to make several recipes of check mix and give it in holiday tins. (Actually I make the recipe x 4 and "bake" it in my electric roaster. You have to watch it carefully but it's nice to be able to do it all at once.) Carmel corn is another "holiday treat" that is always appreciated, and easy to "wrap" in tins or large holiday bowls/buckets. (I have a huge stash of these that I collect at various garage sales/Goodwill, etc)

For the last 38 years our family has made multi batches of Peppernuts, a small German spice Christmas cookie. These actually get better with age and because they are small/hard are perfect in tins/jars/sacks/boxes. We start making them after Thanksgiving (they're very popular at our Church's Christmas Auction).

Sealie1315621721.15101 PostsRegistered 2/11/2010

I also love making home made treats for Christmas. I make a fabulous peanut brittle, Martha Stewart toffee, sugared peanuts and the Hidden Valley little ranch crackers. I usually use the clear celophane bags and tie pretty ribbon around it and then place the bags inside paper holiday bags that I usually purchase at Walgreens. I can't wait to get started.

Sealie1315621770.987101 PostsRegistered 2/11/2010
On 9/5/2011 Annabelle from AK said:

All of the ideas below are great! Sometimes I'm really surprised at what our Walmarts up here carry for X-Mas containers and tins, etc. One thing I've found though is that you have to shop early for the nice ones and sizes that you might need.

I don't give away as much baked stuff now like I used to years ago. However, one thing I do give, which started with one person (my hairdresser) and now my whole family and then some ask for is coated popped corn, or as we call it up here, POLAR POPCORN. I melt the white (I think it's called almond flavor) coating, which I get at Walmart. Pop a lot of corn, melt the coating in the microwave, and then mix well (usually in a large roasting pan.) Spread out somewhat so it's one layer and not packed, on tin foil lined big cookie sheets, chill til it's set up and break apart as necessary. Three people like it coated heavily, but the rest like it kind of light-med. However, they'll take it any way it comes out!!

Pretty tins were getting kinda pricey, like $3.00 on up for good sized ones, so this is what I do. I use the X-Mas decorated gift bags. I now know what size I need, as some people get 2 bags of the corn and some get 3, 4, or 5. I put the popped corn in the heavy duty gallon sized bags that have the big plastic zip on top, put a piece of tissue in the gift bag just like for a present and set the bags of corn in that. It makes a nice presentation and is much cheaper too. Some get 2 bags, and some get 3, 4, or 5. I never make it too far ahead of the holidays though, but usually about the 19-20th or so. AND IT'S ALMOST AN ALL DAY JOB TOO!!

The polar popcorn sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Snuggle-Bu­nny1315622988.356879 PostsRegistered 7/2/2008In My Flower Gardens in Beautiful PA

I bake and make candy to give away at Christmas.

I usually use tins.

I especially like to make chocolate/candy cane bark - both chocolate and white chocolate. Everyone loves it and it's so easy but looks and tastes like a million bucks!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Don't give up five minutes before the miracle. . . . .

Just Plain­ Crazy1315672978.9974757 PostsRegistered 7/22/2009

Snuggle-bunny,

Could you share your recipe for candy cane bark. Sounds good. Would love to give it a try.

TIA

JPC

Noel71315675223.55334868 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007

Every year, Lock & Lock comes out with holiday containers.

Some are in Christmas decoration or colors and some are available in blue, which is perfect for Chanukah.

I buy a set of each, fill them with goodies, add a nice bow and they're ready to go!

"Oh, mother country, I do love you."
John Stewart

nanny241315689094.56328 PostsRegistered 2/18/2010

Great ideas! One I sometimes do is layer dry cookie ingredients into a jar, and write the recipe on a card, hole punch a corner, tie it onto jar with curly ribbon. All the receiver has to do is add the butter, eggs, oil, and they have cookies.

gkelly57441315736611.5772198 PostsRegistered 4/22/2010
On 9/5/2011 FunkyHulaGirl said:

I make a lot of cookies for gifts, and always find really nice containers for them in Walmart - they have Christmas decorated buckets in different sizes, as well as decorated round plastic containers that come in sets of 2 or 3. Last year I also found some nice Christmas bakery boxes with clear windows in Big Lots, and Dollar Tree had nice decorated bags that ranged in size from just big enough for a few cookies to big enough for a loaf of quick bread. At Dollar Tree I also got some nice holiday platters, and coordinating printed cellophane to wrap them in, with a tie at the top.

I bought a lot of Christmas containers(2 and 3 piece sets) AFTER Christmas last year at Walmarts for half price and then what was left they marked them down even more so I bought more of the 3 piece sets!!

Page 1 of 1