TSV(R) Preview
101 Members and 16849 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Favorite foods from Costco?

Started 1313799751.57 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1315422569.423 by Blkcatboo

The fish thread got me to thinking about my favorites from Costco. The Kirkland (house brand) has some very good & economical items.

I like the Kirkland Vanilla ice cream. Better quality than what you find in the grocery stores. And a good price.

Shredded Mexican cheese (in the diary case)

House coffee (in the store with their own coffee roasters.) So much cheaper than Starbucks. And better flavor. I keep my membership just for this. I'm a decaf coffee fiend. But only certain store have roasters.

Also a good place to pick up cases of beans, tomatoes & chicken stock. Staples in my household.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

So what else are your favorites?

Page 1 of 2
Nonie Lee1313813214.683579 PostsRegistered 10/22/2008North of Cincinnati

We love

1. the boneless turkey breast, that i find at Christmas time, sooo good and easy

2. Clauson pickles--LARGE jar at great price

3. Red grapefruit in the little plastic cups

4. Pack of peanut butter/cheese crackers with cookies also--6 to an individual pack DH loves to take to work

5. Fresh fruit and veggies

6. Paneria cheese-broccoli soup

Our dogs love the Kirkland dog bones.

Great price on batteries for all my flameless candles.

SpaGal1313813484.193115 PostsRegistered 6/5/2010

our usual costco run includes:

1. Kirkland brand premium cat food

2. large bag of litter

3. vlasic pickles in large jars

4. babybel light cheese

5. sliced swiss cheese

6. arnold sandwich thins

7. big bag of organic baby carrots

8. hearts of romaine, 6 pk

9. real eggs, egg beaters

10. the big bag of chicken & vegetable potstickers (healthy, too)

11. boca burgers

12. the latest find is chicken sausages that are low WW points and good $

(and my platinum and diamond engagement ring came from there at a great price!)

forrestwolf1313819265.526158 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia

I would really like to go Costcos and Trader Joes, but the nearest Costcos is 100 miles away, and several more,NEAR ME, are 200 miles away{#emotions_dlg.scared} I guess I will not be going any time soon. I guess I just have to live thru you guys{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
1895 Rudyard Kipling
EDUCATE........NOT ERADICATE

madzonie1313819532.825090 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007

SweetyPepps - spicy little red peppers filled with goat cheese!! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Oh my gosh, these are addicting! {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

PBJ1313839545.4076821 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007

Shrimp Wonton Soup. Found in the frozen section. Tastes better than I've had at any restaurant. Have to heat it really hot. Doesn't taste as good lukewarm.

Sabatini's Chicken Patties with Spinach and Cheese. These were pretty tasty.

Poor but Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rubyangel1313840413.2833153 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005
On 8/19/2011 neeliec said:

SweetyPepps - spicy little red peppers filled with goat cheese!! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

neeliec, sounds good. Are these in the aisle section or refrig section? thanks

PBJ: I'm going to Costco next week, I'll look for the Shrimp Wonton Soup. Are the chicken patties in the frozen section also? thanks!

Icegoddess1313853907.6031638 PostsRegistered 3/19/2010

We're always getting Fiber One bars and brownies, the Black Angus burger patties, and Morningstar veggie sausage patties. I don't care for the sausage patties but my husband is the one who started eating them on his high protein diet.

I agree, Kirkland brand products aure usually pretty good and one of the few store brand products I don't mind trying. However, we ended up buying a new dishwasher before I guess we really had to because of a bad batch of the Kirkland dishwashing powder. I guess it had gotten wet before we bought it and my dishes weren't getting clean. We bought a wonderful new Bosch dishwasher, but the first run of dishes didn't get clean. I was devastated. Decided to try some new dishwasher powder and, voila, clean dishes. So, if you buy any loose powder cleaning products make sure they are still loose before you buy. Mine had clumped together into one large clump.

PBJ1313854884.8336821 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007
On 8/20/2011 rubyangel said:
On 8/19/2011 neeliec said:

neeliec, sounds good. Are these in the aisle section or refrig section? thanks

PBJ: I'm going to Costco next week, I'll look for the Shrimp Wonton Soup. Are the chicken patties in the frozen section also? thanks!

The Chicken Patties were in a small but tall, stand-up (not a reach in) refrigerated case next to the walk-in produce area, close to the meat area and the prepared refrigerated food case. Hope that makes since. No door in front of the case.

In my Costco, the Shrimp Wonton Soup was in the refrigerated door row, closest to diapers, detergent and toilet paper. It was behind a glass door. 4 or 6 bowls to a box. A local foreign exchange student recommended this brand (she buys it at home-Thailand, I believe. Sorry-can't recall where she was from at the moment). I was pleasantly surprised since I'm not a fan of many Asian type soups. My sister and a friend liked the soup also. My sister liked hers better when she heated it up piping hot. Seems like when its hotter the flavor comes out.

Poor but Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gooday1313856072.38310552 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008

Kerry Butter

Cooked Chickens

Hellman's mayo (great price!)

batteries

Seasonal foods/dips

We always have lunch there too - polish and a drink for 1.50

dex1313857483.693242 PostsRegistered 4/2/2006

Chicken tenders..foster farms frozen

mini creampuffs...also frozen

wine

olive oil

balsamic vinegar

famous Daves pickles

tansy1313857791.9927813 PostsRegistered 4/19/2005
Too many things to list but the KS choco-covered sea salt caramels with macadamia nuts are good although we did get one stale jar. The fudgey walnut candies are much less expensive and good, too. The chicken jerky dog treats are a big hit with my little dog.

An eye for an eye only leads to more blindness *** Margaret Atwood.

seehorse1313858919.632101 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I really love that Costco always has many samples to try.

Hellman's Mayo

Used to get Dietz and Watson's lunch meats prepackaged, but now our BJ's got a deli dept, so don't have to buy as much and it's freshly sliced).

Morton's Roast Beef - it's very tender and heats up in the microwave

Polly-O Mozzarella

Kerry Gold Irish Cheese

Pot Stickers

Guacomole (sp?)

Peach and mango salsa

Kirkland whole peppercorns

Einstein Brothers Bagels

Eggs

Butter

Sushi - about 18 pieces for $6+/-

Frank's Hot Sauce (2 big bottles for $6+/-)

Grey Poupon mustard

Tall kitchen garbage bags (white with red pully thing)

Batteries- I get Kirkland (a Consumer Report Best Buy and family gets Duracell)

Kirkland Nasal Spray (4 bottles for $5-6?)

Kirkland Fish Oil capsules

Kirkland Aspirin

Q-Tips (this time Costco had a better coupon and bonus facial circles)

We usually got to BJ's after Costco, so we can't really get too much frozen stuff in the summer. It's nice that we can go from one to the other within a few miles.

chi59251313861200.5671950 PostsRegistered 1/3/2006

Fresh Shrimp Salad $12.99 +/-usually located next to the Lime Shrimp -- I LOVE this salad because it has real shrimp and lasts me for 3-4 days as a lunch item.

Fresh Roasted Garlic French Baguettes (2 large to a package) in Bakery - $4.99

Butter Pound Cakes (3 to a box) $6.99 -- they are moist and dense and I freeze them. They take about a couple of hours to thaw and taste just as fresh as if you've made them that day.

Fresh Shrimp whenever they have their Fish-O-Rama -- large prawns for $8.99/lb. I stock up and get 3-4 pounds at a time but ask the Fish Monger to put them in 1 pound bags for me.

sfnative1313878774.825754 PostsRegistered 4/23/2007Portland, OR

Boston Cream Pie!

San Francisco Giants
2014 World Series Champs!

Hooty1313879464.58319372 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006~War Eagle Country~

Healthy Choice Fudge Bars

Greek Chicken Pasta Salad (made fresh there)

Filet mignon

Kirkland Fruit Cake (only at Christmas, filled with mostly pecans & cherries)

Frozen already cooked angus steak burgers (forgot the name)

Yoplait Smoothie Mixes

Stargazer771313894360.1676293 PostsRegistered 10/24/2006
On 8/20/2011 Hooty said:

Healthy Choice Fudge Bars

These were on demo the other day at my Costco. Smile

Rotisserie chickens

Kirkland Chicken in a can

Better Than Buillon (chicken flavor)

I haven't bought it yet, but when I run out of vanilla extract I'm going to get my next bottle at Costco. It's a much better deal than the grocery store.

Mozzarella ball (it's my favorite brand and is SO inexpensive compared to other places in the area)

Laughing Cow cheese

Milk

Whipped cream

That huge brick of cream cheese if I'm making cheescake

Fruitables juice boxes (I like them better than the Honest Kids ones and the Fruitables have the same amount of sugar, but a better taste)

One day I'm going to get a frozen pepperoni pizza (Kirkland brand) and make that at home. They had it on demo one day and it was really good. They used to have really good pizza in their food place, but something changed and now it's too overdone for my taste.

ROMARY1313895295.73717457 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010

I heard/read somewhere that Kirkland vitamins are excellent (quality, etc.).

Yellow Rose

Sealie1313895315.267103 PostsRegistered 2/11/2010

A trip to Costco isn't complete without one of their Rotisserie Chickens yum, yum!

I often purchase:

Panko breaded fresh talipia

Cheesecake Factory Cheesecake

Extra Lean Ground Beef

Artisian Breads

Eggs, Half and Half, Milk

Kirkland Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Kirkland Pecans, Almonds, Walnuts

Feta cheese, Pecorino Romano grated cheese

Chicken Vegetale Potstickers

During the holidays I purchase a variety of their fresh baked pies and shrimp and lobster tails when the Traveling Fish Man is there.

BaileyBop1313897344.7972585 PostsRegistered 2/20/2008

My favorite is the 1 lb pkg of Kirkland cooked bacon. I call it a "sleeper" product. That's a pound of cooked. Do the math, how many pounds of raw bacon would make a pound of cooked. You can heat in the microwave if you prefer. I liked to cooked it just a few minutes then use the grease to cook my eggs in. It also make delicious BLt's. And because it doesn't take long to heat up in a pan there isn't any splatters.

k9buddy1313897578.2131414 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007

Speaking of pre-cooked bacon, the Armour cooked bacon in the freezer section is great!

Pianomama1313898473.1472896 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007southern California

I haven't been a member very long, but I love their Rotisserie chicken. Also their pastries tempt me so try to avoid that area. I have tried their Panko Talapia and like it plus their easy and fast Teriyaki chicken breasts, Hawaiian bowls and packaged ground beef.

Tabbycat1313945318.992835 PostsRegistered 12/2/2007
On 8/20/2011 BaileyBop said:

My favorite is the 1 lb pkg of Kirkland cooked bacon. I call it a "sleeper" product. That's a pound of cooked. Do the math, how many pounds of raw bacon would make a pound of cooked. You can heat in the microwave if you prefer. I liked to cooked it just a few minutes then use the grease to cook my eggs in. It also make delicious BLt's. And because it doesn't take long to heat up in a pan there isn't any splatters.

I agree. We've had BLT's all season. Having the Kirkland bacon on hand is such a timesaver.

Tabby
~ At my age ... Less is More~
"Without Failure, We Would Not Recognize Success"

OLIVIA21313969143.61343 PostsRegistered 7/17/2007

tasted the Loaded Baked Potato Salad at a party and joined Costco's just to be able to buy that!

kivah1313973561.3873623 PostsRegistered 7/21/2008oxnard, CA

My dinner in an hour will be: Their fabulous Rotisserie Chicken and Harry's Tomato/Basil soup (2 large containers in a pack). Earlier today I ate their caramel nut clusters. For breakfast I toasted their bagel. I then sliced one of their Roma tomatoes & put it on the bagel and put the pepperjack cheese on top - then I put it under my broiler for 1-1/2 minutes. I always several types of bread: bagels, jewish rye bread, baguettes & put them in my Lock 'n Lock containers and store in my freezer.

beadloved1313973965.36750 PostsRegistered 2/13/2005

Their cheesecake from the bakery is to die for! For $12.99, you cannot go wrong. Every time I buy one and bring it over to a friend's house, they always ask me to bring it again.

Page 1 of 2