TSV(R) Preview
103 Members and 11151 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Ninja 1100 or Vitamix?

Started 1313715723.383 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1314839942.107 by Bookwoman123

They seem to be pushing these two blenders on the cooking shows. The Ninja is so much cheaper but was rated #1 from Consumer's Report. I was surprised, I thought the Vitamix would win. I also see that the Q is going to have another Vitamix TSV soon. So why get a Vitamix over a Ninja 1100 or a Ninja 1100 over a Vitamix? Is the Ninja the better one since Consumer Report rated it #1? Which one would you rather have?

Page 1 of 1
TxMom1313715844.277250 PostsRegistered 11/27/2006Texas

Ninja! I have both and I rarely use the Vitamix. The Ninja ROCKS!!!

TxMom

jewel31313731954.751784 PostsRegistered 6/11/2006West Coast
I sent back the Ninja. Too many pieces, too easy to cut myself. Love my vitamix. It is so substantial and once you taste a velvety soup made in the vitamin, you are hooked.

We'll never have significance in this life if it's all about us.

Trishthedi­sh1313736472.353429 PostsRegistered 7/20/2010La Jolla, CA

I love my Vitamix. I use it everyday.

This past weekend I made a couple of gallons of tomato sauce (overflow of homegrown tomatoes). After cooking, I mixed it in my Vitamix, and the sauce is beautifully creamy and smooth. I then vacuumed sealed it and put it in the freezer.

I then made salsa, and it was perfect. I love the amount of control you have in the Vitamix.

I have made wonderful soup in it. I make smoothies. It whips eggs for omelets, and makes them so fluffy. It also makes perfect crushed ice- and I love crushed ice.

I highly recommend the Vitamix.

mima1313759509.01314528 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

I love my Vitamix, but I have never used a Ninja. Aren't they kind of two different things? Isn't the Ninja more for chopping and food processing, where the Vitamix is more of a blender? Of course, the Vitamix does much more than blending, however it isn't good for chopping IMO.

Mima

robomo1313761195.2279441 PostsRegistered 3/15/2005

I have a regular blender and it's fabulous. Nothing fancy, but strong and works great for my fruit smoothies. I don't have a need to spend that kind of money on a blender. But I guess it depends on what you would use it for.

lacey11313761217.012350 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009

I think it depends on what your needs are. I thought I wanted a Vitamix but couldn't justify the price so I got the Ninja 1100. The ninja does fine on smoothies. If you add carrots and spinach, the smoothies are not silky smooth as a vitamix. You're never going to be able to heat soup in a ninja. It does pretty well with hummus. If you have a food processor, a microwave and a ninja, you have all you need to replace a vitamix. IMHO

erblst1313761894.772531 PostsRegistered 5/19/2008Central NH

I have a smaller kitchen/dining room area, so storage is often in my mind...the Ninja just seemed like alot of part/pieces to me, and I don't have a food processor, so the Vitamix is my choice. I use it daily, especially spring thru fall.

Like some other posters, I use it alot for the garden. It makes quick work of tomatoes -- I cut in half, process and cook down -saves room in the fridge. I'll 'bulk' cook during the school year (marathon cooking/freezing sessions on Sundays - then don't have to cook so much during the week!).

The Vitamix fits my life style so it's the choice for ME. What your needs are should dictate your purchase!!

Topaz Gem1313763176.2415995 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007Scenic New Hampshire

Vitamix. American-made, long warranty, enough said. Wink

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. ~ Albert Camus

chickenbutt1313769230.3924235 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I'm fairly new to Vitamix, but it was my choice based on a lot of research over a long period of time. You will find a lot of people on this board very emotional about the Ninja, but going out there and getting actual concrete information I found many complaints about parts that should not be plastic, but are, and breaking.

Sometimes the money you spend in buying something cheap you turn right around and spend in replacing it when it, inevitably, breaks. BTW, the report I saw on these two items had Vitamix as #1 and the Ninja product was a close #2.

My last issue with the Ninja was finding out that it is a Euro Pro product and I have had experience with that brand - all bad - so I won't buy anything made by them.

At least with the Vitamix you get a 7 year warranty (well, if you buy it from Vitamix - I think the QVC models offer a slightly scaled down warranty) and great customer service. I bought mine on the phone with Vitamix so I could get the 3 payments.

I also like not having all that stuff to store, with the Ninja. My Vitamix blender stays on one counter under the cabinets (I got the slightly shorter, 48oz one, as it is plenty large for me). I found somebody who makes really nice covers that are custom for either the 48oz or the tall Vitamix. I like covers for my stuff. :) I like the way you clean it out to easily and no blades to handle. Just put a couple drops of dish soap in it, 1/3 to 1/2 water and crank it on for a minute. Then I just take the carafe off and rinse out the lid & carafe & set them in the dish drainer until dry.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

suzyQ31313771450.5125059 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

I can't speak to the Ninja 1100, but I can speak to the Ninja N600 Professional Blender. We bought it to replace our old Waring that died. We are interested only in making smoothies, which we do three or four times a week.

The Ninja blender may have mega mega watts but it simply lacked the right design. It may have multiple blades but they are not shaped or positioned to create the vortex needed to make a good blender smoothie. In fact, the first time we used it, I ended up with a pretty much intact strawberry in my glass.

Fortunately, we had purchased it a BBB, and so back it went, went, went.

If the blender portion of this Ninja 1100 is similar and if you are into good smoothies, I wouldn't recommend it.

The single story creates stereotypes, and the problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue but that they are incomplete. They make one story become the only story -- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Solar1313773852.583970 PostsRegistered 8/24/2007

What about CLEANING THE VITAMIX -- as in getting out strings of celery etc., and sticky peanut butter residue?

THANKS for any info!

-Solar Smile

"What man actually needs is not some tension-less state but rather the striving and struggling for some goal worthy of him."
-Viktor Frankl

chickenbutt1313775280.91324235 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
On 8/19/2011 Solar said:

What about CLEANING THE VITAMIX -- as in getting out strings of celery etc., and sticky peanut butter residue?

THANKS for any info!

-Solar Smile

As I mentioned above, the Vitamix is super easy to clean. No disassembling and no need to ever even touch the blades. when you are finished you just pour some warm/hot water into the carafe (up to half or less) and drop in a couple drops of dish soap. Put it back on the base with the lid on (of course), turn it on (always keep it set on variable after using) crank it up to 10, then hit the 'high' button and let it go for 15-30 seconds. It cleans out ANYTHING that will still be in there and slosh away any debris with the soap water.

Then I turn everything off, unplug it, and take the carage & lid to the sink and rinse well with hot water and put them in my little dish drainer to dry. Or, you could just dry everything yourself, but then that means sticking your hands in there and I think letting it dry is an easier and more practical way to go.

BTW, they send tou a great DVD with the vitamix that goes over practically everything involved in using it, recipes, and cleaning/maintenance...from A to Z. You also get (at least when you get it from Vitamix anyway) a big binder-type cookbook and a smaller hardcover recipe book of just drinks. The binder book has all categories of recipes.

The chocolate banana malted milk shake is my fav :) yum - easy and, the way I do it anyway, not filled with any more refined sugar than necessary.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Foodie 71313790158.92740 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006

No question whatsoever if quality and performance are what you're after. The Ninja has a a 1 year warranty; the Vitamix a 5 year (unless you buy the Vitamix from the company and get an even longer warranty). However regardless of the warranty period, your Vitamix will be singing along many years after the warranty. My first one was -- and it didn't fail, I just gave it away since I wanted a red one. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the one I had and it was about 12 years old. It's doubtful that the Ninja will be functioning after five years and if not, whose customer service will you call? Can you get it repaired if necessary? Get parts for it if needed? If the Ninja was a high quality product, it would have a much longer warranty. There's a reason that it's only warranteed for one year.

The Ninja is made in China and the Vitamix in the US by a company that has been in business since the early 40's. What does that tell you about the quality of the product? If Vitamix didn't make a superior product, they would not still be in business.

By the way, Consumer Reports did not rate the Ninja number 1. It rated the Vitamix number 1.

kachina6241313791170.79316223 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico

I have both and use them for different things at different times.

mistylady1313887988.283374 PostsRegistered 7/8/2006

Thank you for all of your input. I do have the Vitamix and wondered if I needed the Ninja 1100 too. The thing that interested me in the Ninja 1100 was that it had the little bowl too... but I guess I don't need that.

Also, I said that Consumer Reports rated Ninja #1 because the local news here said that. They never mentioned anything about the Vitamix. They said KitchenAid was #2 and Wolfgang's rated the worse. I guess the local news was wrong.

Foodie 71313948386.44740 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006
On 8/20/2011 mistylady said:

Thank you for all of your input. I do have the Vitamix and wondered if I needed the Ninja 1100 too. The thing that interested me in the Ninja 1100 was that it had the little bowl too... but I guess I don't need that.

Also, I said that Consumer Reports rated Ninja #1 because the local news here said that. They never mentioned anything about the Vitamix. They said KitchenAid was #2 and Wolfgang's rated the worse. I guess the local news was wrong.

Yup, your local news was wrong. I have an online subscription to Consumer Reports and just double-checked. There are ratings for 51 blenders (in many cases, multiple models from the same manufacturer). Vitamix has the highest rating, a 76. One of the Ninja models is second at 73. Another Ninja received a lower score. Your local news was correct in that the Wolfgang Puck blender received the lowest rating, with a score of 16. Interestingly, the Blendtec which some consider a worthy competitor to the Vitamix received a score of only 59.

chickenbutt1313949073.52724235 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
On 8/21/2011 Sigrid said:
On 8/20/2011 mistylady said:

Yup, your local news was wrong. I have an online subscription to Consumer Reports and just double-checked. There are ratings for 51 blenders (in many cases, multiple models from the same manufacturer). Vitamix has the highest rating, a 76. One of the Ninja models is second at 73. Another Ninja received a lower score. Your local news was correct in that the Wolfgang Puck blender received the lowest rating, with a score of 16. Interestingly, the Blendtec which some consider a worthy competitor to the Vitamix received a score of only 59.

They presented this WP blender on hsn yesterday and I purposely watched an entire presentation. They (illusively of course) compared it to the Vitamix. If you really paid attention it was pretty clear that there is no comparison. Even just with putting ice in the WP one you had to use that thing to shove and shove and shove it in or it wouldn't blend. With my Vitamix I make something that has ice all the time. The ice goes in after everything else, so it's on top. I've never once had to jam it down to get it to blend it.

Also, although they compare it to the Vitamix like apples to apples, it is considerably lower in hp than the Vitamix.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Helen Bach1313949572.772623 PostsRegistered 10/20/2009

I have Montel Williams Living Well Emulsifier. I use it every day and love it. It was affordable with EZ pay on QVC. no joke. It's good.

mistylady1313954439.04374 PostsRegistered 7/8/2006

Thanks Sigrid for correcting me. I thought it was odd that the local news didn't mention Vitamix.

Bookwoman1­231314839942.0631 PostsRegistered 8/31/2011

Love my new Ninja!

Last edited on 8/31/2011

Last edited on 8/31/2011

Page 1 of 1