Maxi Dresses
116 Members and 9395 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

How do you keep avocados from ripening too quickly?

Started 1266113116 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1266209700 by Jupiter
Does anyone know? I purchased several, that were on sale---2 for $1.00. They are the hass ones, that I love so much. When I bought them, they were all as hard as a rock. The next day, a few of them were already very ripe! The day after that, a few more were very ripe, almost too ripe. I have been eating all the overly ripe ones as fast as I can, but, I wanted to be able to enjoy them, one a day, for several days, not all of them in a few days. Any advice for me? TIA! :-)
--
Open up your heart and let the sunshine in!

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live. (Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 1
crdlb126611333512593 PostsRegistered 6/24/2009So. Cal.
Refrigeration will slow the ripening down. Make sure they aren't near onions or apples which will speed up ripening. Worst case, enjoy eating them!
--
crdlb

Jupiter12661144065243 PostsRegistered 10/25/2008Florida
I love them, but I am afraid that I will get sick of them. They are so delicious, but I don't like them very ripe. I like them when they are just getting ripe, but still a bit firm. I was afraid to put them in the fridge. I thought that would change the taste of them. :-)
--

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live. (Mark Twain)

Brinklii126611452910277 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI
Gosh, Jupiter, I usually can't get them ripe fast enough! I usually have to put them in a brown paper bag for at least 2-3 days to get them to ripen. Maybe it's because I live way up North. ~~ Tabby
--
If you're busy hugging the past, you can't embrace the future.

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

Jupiter12661153835243 PostsRegistered 10/25/2008Florida
> Gosh, Jupiter, I usually can't get them ripe fast
> enough! I usually have to put them in a brown paper
> bag for at least 2-3 days to get them to ripen.
> Maybe it's because I live way up North. ~~ Tabby
>
> --
> If you're busy hugging the past, you can't embrace
> the future.
Hi, Tabby!
The grocery guy told me that they would be ready to eat in one day, but I didn't believe him, because they were hard. Maybe it depends on how they keep them in the markets. I saved so much money on them. They are normally $1.29 each, and I got a bunch of them for .50 cents each! I LOVE a good sale! :-D
--

Brinklii126611683510277 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI
> Hi, Tabby!
> The grocery guy told me that they would be ready
> ady to eat in one day, but I didn't believe him,
> because they were hard. Maybe it depends on how they
> keep them in the markets. I saved so much money on
> them. They are normally $1.29 each, and I got a bunch
> of them for .50 cents each! I LOVE a good sale! :-D
>
> --
> Open up your heart and let the sunshine in!
Hi Jupiter ~~ That's a great price! I just got back from the supermarket, and they were $1.49 each for a little tiny thing about the size of 2 eggs. We don't get very good prices on avocados in Minnesota, but they should come down lower than that. I love it when those great big Florida ones are in season. I could almost make a meal on one avocado! ~~ Tabby
--
If you're busy hugging the past, you can't embrace the future.

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

sunshine45126611895638247 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast
> I love them, but I am afraid that I will get sick of
> them. They are so delicious, but I don't like them
> very ripe. I like them when they are just getting
> ripe, but still a bit firm. I was afraid to put them
> in the fridge. I thought that would change the taste
> of them. :-)
it does..... i never put them in the refrigerator. we had them on sale this past week..... two for 1.00 so i bought four and they sit near my windowsill. i try to buy them hard so that i can use them throughout the week.
we had chicken burritos this week and i mashed two of them and added lots of fresh lime juice and some cilantro and a dollop of sour cream to use as a topping.

Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind. - author unknown

ILuvDMQ1266119215276 PostsRegistered 2/16/2008
Don't pick them until you are ready to eat them.:-x

SoBe Babe12661214443688 PostsRegistered 2/15/2009"Paradise"
My supermarket also had them at 2 for $1.00 - I bought 4 last Thursday (on the hard side) and put them in the Debbie Meyer Green Bag - Decided to put one in a salad tonight - and they are still hard.
I know opinions vary on these green bags - but I am very satisfied with them. We don't eat meat, so I buy loads of veggies and fruit every week and these bags keep everything fresh. Even bananas last a week.

mima126619808113911 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS
I love those Debbie Meyer Green bags! Walmart has 20 for $10.
They've already paid for themselves.
I bought fresh spinache on the day that its expired (Feb. 1st) at WM for $1. Would you believe we ate some on our sandwiches last night, Feb. 13th and it was still very fresh and not even wilted.
I'm so impressed.
I keep a paper towel in the bag to keep whatever is in the bag dry. As they get damp, I put another one in the bag and remove the damp one to dry out to reuse.
I have not thrown anything rotten out since I got them.
--
Drive safely!!! 90% of all people are caused by accidents!
--
Edited by mima at 02/14/2010 4:42 PM PST

Last edited on 2/14/2010

Mima

nafecar12661997373701 PostsRegistered 2/21/2007So Cal
I wish we had that problem. We can't get ours to ripen .They are the biggest ones I have ever seen I have put them in paper bags for 2 weeks in a drawer and they still do not ripen. The last ones were rotten before they even got a chance to ripen I know that sounds weird but it's true. We do not know what to do .We have tried leaving them on the tree longer but nothing seems to help,.any suggestions?

Nafey
Keep looking out the windshield not the rear window

Chuckr12662026151162 PostsRegistered 1/2/2008Denver area
Avocados do not ripen "on the tree", as I understand it. They begin the process once detached from the tree:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado
The avocado is a climacteric fruit (the banana is another), which means that it matures on the tree but ripens off the tree. Avocados used in commerce are picked hard and green and kept in coolers at 38 to 42°F (3.3 to 5.6°C) until they reach their final destination. Avocados must be mature to ripen properly. Avocados that fall off the tree ripen on the ground, and depending on the amount of oil they contain, their taste and texture may vary greatly. Generally, the fruit is picked once it reaches maturity; Mexican growers pick Hass-variety avocados when they have more than 23% dry matter and other producing countries have similar standards.
Once picked, avocados ripen in a few days at room temperature (faster if stored with other fruits such as apples or bananas, because of the influence of ethylene gas). Premium supermarkets sell pre-ripened avocados treated with synthetic ethylene to hasten the ripening process.[10] In some cases, avocados can be left on the tree for several months, which is an advantage to commercial growers who seek the greatest return for their crop; if the fruit remains unpicked for too long, however, it will fall to the ground.

I picked up two at 38 cents each, at my local health/veggie store. :-)
Hope this helps...

Jupiter12662097005243 PostsRegistered 10/25/2008Florida
After reading these posts, I think that it might have been the sweet potatoes that were next to the avocados, on my counter, that might have caused them to ripen so quickly! I moved them away last night, and today the last of the avocados were perfect!

Chuckr, thank you so much for that information about avocados! That is very interesting to learn. I only like the hass variety, which is very fatty and tasty. I don't like the Florida variety at all. I find them too dry and without much taste to them.
--

Page 1 of 1