Spring & Summer Beauty
96 Members and 9442 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Keurig Platinum Problems

Started 1265829371 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1266556282 by SarahW
Recently my Platinum started turning off after a brew was complete without waiting one hour as I had it set. I also was seeing different sizes in the brew that varied too much from each of the 5 sizes. Taking the advice of those on the board here instead of calling QVC CS I called Keurig and they said there is a problem with the units and they are sending me a new one and I do not have to return the old one. Actually they said I can use it for parts. There seems to be a design flaw in it and I was told if I have problems with the new one just to call them again.
This is SUPERB customer service and treating customers like valued partners is much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2
Sooner126583278813858 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
We bought two of the TSV's and both of them had problems. The new ones are on the way--I think they were out of the Platinum ones and we are getting another color. Hubby is taking care of the details so I'm not sure! No more QVC appliances for me.

yellowrose12658336594228 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Haven't had any problems with my TSV platinum
(knocking on wood)
But I don't use the timer or the filter (I use filtered
water out of my fridge) so I may have a better chance
of not having any problems.
Good to know that the CS is excellant - just in case.

4uthebest12658338453517 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
Yep I use filtered water too but there is a design flaw that it appears many will see come up as time goes by.

yellowrose12658347954228 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
I would think a design flaw would be grounds for a recall.
I am going to be really upset if my flaw appears after
the warranty expires.
Think I'm going to start using all the bells & whistles
on my machine from now on.
Push it to its limits and see how it
holds up.

4uthebest12658352473517 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
From what I understand it will occur way before your 1 yr is up but yes go and use it and make sure you descale it after 4 months (to be safe) and 6 months at the very least.

nunu4u12658354698620 PostsRegistered 9/22/2006
I applaud their honesty! They did not have to be upfront like that!
--
Summer 2009 Collagen Cruising! Get Aboard! Weeeooooo, baby!

yellowrose12658363364228 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
thank you for sharing this info 4uthebest.
Off to read the instruction booklet so I can set
the timer.
I agree nunu. I applaud their honesty also.

Kay6112658367212066 PostsRegistered 3/18/2009
> I applaud their honesty! They did not have to be
> upfront like that!
I don't think they had a choice, there have been TONS of complaints.
I agree that these should have been recalled.
I returned mine a couple weeks ago to the Q and received another last week. It's been fine, but if it acts up again it goes back ASAP!
I also think that if people bought it from the Q, they should be returning it to the Q (free of charge of course) because they need to know just how many people have been having problems with these.

4uthebest12658407953517 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
That is good but I much rather prefer K shipping me a new one and letting me use the old one for parts.. extra my K Cup.. storage tank,, etc..

ohiolablov­er12658504154 PostsRegistered 2/10/2010
My first TSV (in cinnamon) was also shutting off after a brew cycle. I called Keurig and they sent me a new one and I only had to send back the black K-cup holder to them (at my expense). I have had the new one for a couple weeks now and just today, it shut off after my husband brewed his mug for work. The CS @ Keurig is good, but it is disappointing, to say the least, that there is an OBVIOUS design flaw and a quality control issue. I will be calling them again to address this. I won't pay for something that is a "top of the line" model to have it be deffective. I agree that there should be a recall on these.

Ripley10912658538629346 PostsRegistered 2/1/2006
I purchased my Platinum at BB&B a couple of months
ago. I noticed recently that it shuts off when the brewing
cycle is over. However, I never "set" it for anything.....is
there a special "auto-set" for the length of time it's
supposed to stay on?
This is my second Keurig, my first one didn't have this
feature, so I didn't bother to read the lit. for the second
one, just opened it up and started using.....
--
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution, so it will not become the legalized version of the first." Thomas Jefferson

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." - Mark Twain

Kay6112658949592066 PostsRegistered 3/18/2009
> That is good but I much rather prefer K shipping me a
> new one and letting me use the old one for parts..
> extra my K Cup.. storage tank,, etc..
Yes, it's nice to have the freebies, but I would prefer the Q to know just how many of these machines are defective. Where was their quality control?? We are talking over 100,000 of these sold as a TSV and every time I look at the reviews there are more complaints. These should have been recalled.

4uthebest12659016053517 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
It is not freebies but it is simply left over from the old machine.
I do agree that there should be something done as indeed there is NOT a quality control issue at all with these units but it IS a design flaw issue. In other words, quality control means nothing if all the units were manufactured to the specs they were required to and they are packaged and shipped, yet they fail after so many hours of use. As far as the manufacturing, they were made correctly it is just the design/engineering that is flawed and that could be from mechanical, electrical or both aspects.

blackcat1151265908155180 PostsRegistered 12/2/2007
I wanted to order this with my thanksgigving easy pay. It expires this weekend but I am afraid to order to with all the problems people are having. Can anyone recommend this or should I just forget about it. I also drink alot of coffee. I am a dunkin donut coffee addict. I am also wondering about how expensive it will be to buy the k-cups. It sounds like the coffee is really good. If it is I dont mind paying a little more. I guess I can also use my own coffee with the k cup they give you. I buy dunkin donuts ground coffee too. If anyone can can give me opinions I would really appreciate it.

4uthebest12659094853517 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
Actually even though there are significant problems, this unit is well supported by Keurig and I am able to brew a single cup of my "super healthy coffee" at a time and therefore it is always fresh. As I said Keurig is great and they said after I get the new one if I have problems with it,to contact them and they will take care of it. Customer service like that is rare in 2010

Kay6112659175382066 PostsRegistered 3/18/2009
> It is not freebies but it is simply left over from
> the old machine.
>
> I do agree that there should be something done as
> indeed there is NOT a quality control issue at all
> with these units but it IS a design flaw issue. In
> other words, quality control means nothing if all the
> units were manufactured to the specs they were
> required to and they are packaged and shipped, yet
> they fail after so many hours of use. As far as the
> manufacturing, they were made correctly it is just
> the design/engineering that is flawed and that could
> be from mechanical, electrical or both aspects.
I disagree, if both Keurig and QVC would have tested these like they should have then the defect would have been caught and rectified before being put on the market. Also, from my own experience and reading the reviews of others online, there can be/have been a problem with it very early on such as first day, week, etc. This should have been caught, Keurig and the Q dropped the ball on this.
I'm glad to hear that you are happy with Keurig CS. IMO that's what they SHOULD be doing, especially now since many people don't have the funds to be forking over $150 or more for a coffee machine. They need to keep customers happy in this economy. JMHO

katie3126592736867 PostsRegistered 5/20/2008
My beautiful cinnamon Keurig TSV has failed to turn itself on in the mornings and off at night for the past few days. Doggone it! My hope is that the problem is the brownouts that we've had because of all the rain and mudslides...
In case that's not the problem and we're on the downhill slide, I wondered if the replacements that they're sending out have had the defects corrected or if we just hope for the best. Has anyone had a replacement fail?

4uthebest12659283023517 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
Wonderful in theory Kay however in 2010 that is not really what is being done with few exceptions. When the product is initially used it works great and the natural tendency is to pass its test. Very few products today test for a long enough period of time and if they did then my T-Fal, Electrolux, Cuisinart, and other similar products would not have any problems but that is a perfect world and they did/do.
As far as "dropping the ball", I would say that QVC probably did that more than Keurig as the complaints normally would go to CS and they would notify Keurig in the process. Remember there were 100K units of a NEW product ordered from QVC so the lions share of the market is from the QVC purchasers.
In regards to the product not working because of "brown outs" I really do not think that is the reason as it is related to design/function/endurance of the machine and not the power companies.

Desi126592899613397 PostsRegistered 6/9/2007Ma
I had Keurig send another due to the horrid chemical taste which didn't go away after vats of vinegar and water rinses.
Mine also shut off a couple of times recently, but I discovered that the timer had somehow become set to shut off at that time. We reprogrammed it not to shut off, and so far so good.

Desi

SarahW126600673216135 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
For anyone thinking that this machine was "made for QVC" and that's why it's having problems...that is NOT the case. I bought my Platinum at Kohl's in late December to replace my trusty B60 which is still working like a champ after 4 years. Sometime in January the Platinum began turning itself off intermittently, etc. I tried all sorts of things with the setup, thinking I had set it up wrong. For a while it worked OK, with only an occasional turn off. This week it started turning itself off again, so I finally called Keurig. EXCELLENT customer service!! They are shipping a new machine to me and like the OP, I don't need to return my original. (Thank goodness...how on earth would I get the water out of that thing??)
I asked the CS rep if they had determined the problem and she said yes...and that it only affected a relatively small number of brewers manufactured and sold around Christmas. On the Keurig website, there are lots of customer reviews having the same issue and the Platinum model shows "sold out".
I am a huge fan of Keurig, having purchased 7 of them in the past 4 years. (They make excellent gifts.) It's too bad that this malfunction is costing them a blemish on their otherwise excellent reputation...but they are handling it in a very professional manner. I can't wait to get my new machine!

4uthebest12660070453517 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
Sarah, you are absolutely correct and it is just that QVC sold 100K of them in such a short time that their is more visibility with the issues associated with the B70.

Sooner126603487813858 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
> > That is good but I much rather prefer K shipping
> me a
> > new one and letting me use the old one for
> parts..
> > extra my K Cup.. storage tank,, etc..
>
> Yes, it's nice to have the freebies, but I would
> prefer the Q to know just how many of these machines
> are defective. Where was their quality control?? We
> are talking over 100,000 of these sold as a TSV and
> every time I look at the reviews there are more
> complaints. These should have been recalled.
That's between QVC and Keurig. We didn't have to send back anything to Keurig either. They just shiped the machines.

4uthebest12660639293517 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
Exactly and as I said, I was told that if I have a problem with the new one to call them back and they will take care of it. It seems like the engineering mods are not yet being done on the B70.

horsecrazy­lady1266079365215 PostsRegistered 8/25/2007northern ca
oh no! i just found this. i have one that i bought a year ago that i am using now. i love it! but, we are building a new house and barn, so i bought one of the platinum [cinnimon] to put in my new kitchen. i was going to put my current keurig in the barn tack room so that i could enjoy a hot drink without having to go back into the house. i have not taken the new one out of the box yet. it is still up in the closet. i guess i should get it out and use it for a while. what a pain this all is. my dh does not know that i have a new one, and i wanted to keep it new for my new home. ok, so how long does it take to realize that you got a faulty one and if it is, do i call keurig? the 30 day warrenty from qvc is long past.

4uthebest12660819883517 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
If we knew that answer it would be relatively easy to re engineer but there are several factors involved including frequency of use, some issues will show up in the first couple of weeks and others take longer. All they suggest is that you use it and then report to them if you have problems.

Page 1 of 2