Just-Reduced Clearance
123 Members and 10074 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

NordicWare Tender Cooker -- Need Some Recipes/Ideas

Started 1307144728.857 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1310317808.187 by Brabls

Got mine from Kohl's last week and made the Spanish Rice in the booklet. Very good. Also "boiled" some potatoes for potato salad. Took approx. 10 minutes for them to cook. The cooker came with a recipe booklet, but there weren't too many of them. So, I was wondering if any of you ladies have any recipes or ideas that can be used with the Tender Cooker.

Page 1 of 1
4uthebest1307197886.9473526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

I do not know why none of my replies are going through here but I am wondering what recipe book you got as the one that I have from my 27+ year old TC has some of the best recipes I ever saw in an included manual.

I imagine what you have is different as I have several recipes for Beef, Vegetables, Poultry, and Pork, as well as some desserts, but I DO NOT have any Spanish Rice recipe.. I would call NW and ask them and perhaps they can send you a manual from 25 years ago if the one included now is not the same.

In any event, the recipes in the manual I have are excellent and importantly for me, well thought out.

coffee dri­nker1307226953.661243 PostsRegistered 7/17/2009
On 6/4/2011 4uthebest said:

I do not know why none of my replies are going through here but I am wondering what recipe book you got as the one that I have from my 27+ year old TC has some of the best recipes I ever saw in an included manual.

I imagine what you have is different as I have several recipes for Beef, Vegetables, Poultry, and Pork, as well as some desserts, but I DO NOT have any Spanish Rice recipe.. I would call NW and ask them and perhaps they can send you a manual from 25 years ago if the one included now is not the same.

In any event, the recipes in the manual I have are excellent and importantly for me, well thought out.

What I received with the TC is sort of a booklet with maybe 15 recipes. I will definitely call on Monday to request a manual from back in the day. If you do read this post 4U, would you please tell me if you have a problem putting the rubber gasket on. Mine is sort of loose and I've tried running it under cold water like the manual suggests. It does go on, but only after a few tries. I find the cover sort of difficult to remove also. Maybe I just have to get used to it. I do have a stove-top pressure cooker and a Cook's Essential electric PC. So this TC is a new toy for me. If you want the Spanish Rice recipe, let me know and I'll post it here.

4uthebest1307227908.1873526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 6/4/2011 coffee drinker said:
On 6/4/2011 4uthebest said:

What I received with the TC is sort of a booklet with maybe 15 recipes. I will definitely call on Monday to request a manual from back in the day. If you do read this post 4U, would you please tell me if you have a problem putting the rubber gasket on. Mine is sort of loose and I've tried running it under cold water like the manual suggests. It does go on, but only after a few tries. I find the cover sort of difficult to remove also. Maybe I just have to get used to it. I do have a stove-top pressure cooker and a Cook's Essential electric PC. So this TC is a new toy for me. If you want the Spanish Rice recipe, let me know and I'll post it here.

Hi CD,

the gasket is not quite as "solid" as a regular stovetop/electric pressure cooker and yet after all these years I am still on my first one. Simply take your time and lie it in the groove and then when you are putting the lid on, line up the arrows and turn.. it takes a small amt of practice but it should not be a problem. This appliance is superb and given the fact that most all MW ovens are at least 900 watts now, every recipe in the book will cook faster than what is listed when the MW were 600 watts.

Here is a sample of the recipes in the manual:

Porcupine Meatballs

Tropical Ribs

Chicken Pecan Pate

Zesty Chicken Wings

Chicken and Herbed Wild Rice

Chicken N Stuffing

Turkey Breast with Vegetable Stuffing

Frozen Turkey Roll

Lemon Chicken

Chicken Legs with Orange Honey Sauce

Chicken With Wine and Herbs

Spicy Thai Turkey Wings

Chicken Cacciatore

Chicken Soup

Spanish Chicken and Rice

Paella

Hot Spiced Pork

Polynesian Pork Roast

Spiced Pork Roast

Country Style Ribs and Saurkraut

Pork Chops with Cranberries

Sweet Sour Pork

Apple Stuffed Pork Roast

Ham and Lentil Soup

Curried Pork and Rice

Pork Chops with Apples

Pork Chop Sweet Potato Meal

Easy Pork Meal in One

Pork Chops with Wild Rice

Barbeque Spareribs

Orange Gingered Spareribs..

Then there are Beef and Vegetable recipes and some desserts..

Funny enough it says that an oven of 400-500 watts would extend a 15 minute cooking time 4 minutes.. I would guess that a 900 watt MW would shorten the cooking time 4 minutes and with my even more powerful MW, I shorten the cooking time quite a bit more..so instead of 15 minutes,, I am looking at 8-9.

Last edited on 6/4/2011

Last edited on 6/4/2011

coffee dri­nker1307235876.171243 PostsRegistered 7/17/2009

4U -- My booklet has the following recipes: Quite a few less than your booklet.

Honey BBQ Chicken Wings

Tropical Ribs

Beef Stew

Herbed Beef Roast

Spiced Pork Roast

BBQ Spareribs

Baked Lamb Shanks

Veal Paprika

Chicken & Stuffing

Checken & Herbed Wild Rice

Veg Beef & Barley Soup

Chicken Soup

Creamy Scalloped Potatoes

Mexican Rice (I thought it was called Spanish Rice)

My MW is a 1100 watt, I think and the Mexican Rice recipe called for the rice to cook 20 minutes on high. A bit much, so I would probably adjust some of the times. All in all, it is a great little kitchen "tool."

I'm looking at a listing of separates you can purchase and a Tender Cooker Cookbook is listed for $2. For $2, I have to believe it's probably the same as what comes with the TC. I will call NW next and ask if something else is available. Like I need another cookbook!!!

4uthebest1307280394.9273526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 6/4/2011 coffee drinker said:

4U -- My booklet has the following recipes: Quite a few less than your booklet.

Honey BBQ Chicken Wings

Tropical Ribs

Beef Stew

Herbed Beef Roast

Spiced Pork Roast

BBQ Spareribs

Baked Lamb Shanks

Veal Paprika

Chicken & Stuffing

Checken & Herbed Wild Rice

Veg Beef & Barley Soup

Chicken Soup

Creamy Scalloped Potatoes

Mexican Rice (I thought it was called Spanish Rice)

My MW is a 1100 watt, I think and the Mexican Rice recipe called for the rice to cook 20 minutes on high. A bit much, so I would probably adjust some of the times. All in all, it is a great little kitchen "tool."

I'm looking at a listing of separates you can purchase and a Tender Cooker Cookbook is listed for $2. For $2, I have to believe it's probably the same as what comes with the TC. I will call NW next and ask if something else is available. Like I need another cookbook!!!

CD, I really do not understand at all HOW it would take 20 minutes to cook rice in a MW even without a Pressure Cooker... Wild Rice which of course is not a rice, cooks in the recipe for "Cooked Wild Rice" for 20 minutes (that is based on 600-700 watts) Perhaps the volume of rice in the recipe makes the difference, but I would not suspect that as a first diagnosis.

Barbarainnc1307400195.913022 PostsRegistered 6/13/2006

How much was the TC at Kohl's? I looked it up on QVC and Amazon. TIA

Barbara

coffee dri­nker1307448639.6871243 PostsRegistered 7/17/2009
On 6/6/2011 Barbarainnc said:

How much was the TC at Kohl's? I looked it up on QVC and Amazon. TIA

Barbara

Barbara, I posted in another place the cost, so I'm going by memory. After all my discounts, coupons, etc. the thing cost approx. $30. If you order on line, starting tomorrow 6-8 thru 6-15, use code DADSDAY30 and receive 30% off. And if you order on-line in one of the in-store kiosks, there's no S&H. Hope this helps.

This was my original post with the prices noted. My math is a little off, but the amount is close to what I paid. Keep in mind the code has expired. The latest 30% off code is DADSDAY30.

I just have to share this with all of you. I just ordered the Nordic Ware Tender Cooker from Kohl's on-line, used my 30% off coupon - LOVE2SAVE30 - and free shipping code of FUN2BMVC (which I corrected in post #19 above, sorry) and my total price was $27.99. Original price $39.99, less 30% = $12, free shipping, tax $1.68 =total $27.99. Not too bad

Last edited on 6/7/2011

Last edited on 6/7/2011

GramaDee1310288659.131 PostsRegistered 7/10/2011

any possibility of sharing those recipes ? I know it is a lot to post but maybe it is something that could be scanned and emailed? I really would love the recipes from the old book which I am sure is next to impossible to get anymore....

Let me know if it could be copy and pasted to an email or whatever and Ill be happy to give you my address :) THanks so much!!!!

Txblond1310298676.3271715 PostsRegistered 3/3/2007

Call Nordic Ware & ask about the recipes in the old recipe book. A very nice CS sent me all the recipes by e-mail (a lot of pages). I bought a Tender Cooker years ago & had misplaced my recipe book. Good Luck!

Brabls1310317808.1614740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

My favorite was rice, carrots, onion & celery. Use the Mexican Rice directions for water/rice ratio & time. Don't chop the veggies too small. After it was done, I season it with Beau Monde seasoning. Can use chicken broth to boost the flavor.

I lost my cooker in one of my moves, so I don't have the recipe book anymore.

Page 1 of 1