Better Than Black Friday
116 Members and 11696 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Does Cherry Pie Filling get old?

Started 1265489080 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1265648270 by straitgirl
I have a can of this in my cupboard. I'm wondering if I can use it. I have no idea how long it's been there, maybe 3-4 years? There's no date on the can. Does that mean it's okay? Thanks for any info!

Page 1 of 1
cherry126548916116348 PostsRegistered 1/8/2005
Open it up and taste it

Poodlepet12654905073898 PostsRegistered 9/21/2006Punta Gorda Florida
....when in doubt, throw it out! About 8 monts ago, hubby decided to clean out our pantry and I did not think it was possible in this day and age....but we indeed had a couple of cans with bulges. If it's past the expiration....I'd rather be safe than sorry.
.....and Chihuahua02....I must ask, what are you making??? There is so much you can do with these pie fillings....
Poodlepet

cherry126549138616348 PostsRegistered 1/8/2005
http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/16765

chickenbutt126549158724668 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
OMG, Poodle! bulging cans = skeery! Glad you found them before anything bad happened.
Odd that the OP's cans don't have a date on them anywhere. That might make me think that they are even older. Be careful. You could probably open the can and check it out. If it passes the smell and, if you are brave, taste test it's probably fine. Might be best to just move on though. :)
--
----------------
karma, baby, karma

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Foodie 71265492209749 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006
No, don't open it up and taste it if you have any concern that it might not be good. Some of the things that make people sick do not change the taste or smell of the food - if they did, no one would ever get food poisoning because contaminated food would always smell or taste bad and we wouldn't eat it.
If I have ANY concern about a canned food item, I toss it. I'd rather waste .89 or a couple of bucks or whatever than take a chance that I or someone else will be become ill. I've had food poisoning before and it's no fun - just not worth the risk to save a a buck or even a few bucks.
--
Foodie

chihuahua0212654952251870 PostsRegistered 3/15/2008
Poodlepet,
I was going to make cherry cobbler. I got the recipe over on the RS board. Sue-P from Minnesota posted this.
Thanks for the replies.
Cracker Barrel Old Country Store Cherry Chocolate Cobbler
Ingredients
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 cup butter
* 6 ounces semisweet chocolate morsels
* 1/4 cup milk
* 1 egg
* 21 ounces can cherry pie filling
* 1/2 cup nuts, finely chopped
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter; cut with pastry blender until crumbs are size of large peas. Melt over hot (not boiling) water, semisweet chocolate morsels. Remove from heat and cool slightly at room temperature (about 5 minutes). Add milk and egg to melted chocolate and mix well. Blend chocolate into flour mixture.
3. Spread cherry pie filling in bottom of a 2-quart casserole. Drop chocolate batter randomly over cherries. Sprinkle with chopped nuts. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes.
sue-p/ Susan
--
Edited by chihuahua02 at 02/06/2010 4:01 PM PST

Last edited on 2/6/2010

PembrokeCo­rgiMom12655065651758 PostsRegistered 7/20/2009North Carolina
Sounds good to me.Yum. Canned food can last a long time so I would probably at least open it if the can looks ok, no dents are anything else. Then decide.

Phyllis (MOM and RN) and AJ (Pembroke Welsh Corgi-Red and White and Spoiled Rotten)

Poodlepet12655075903898 PostsRegistered 9/21/2006Punta Gorda Florida
Chihuahua02-great recipe! That's one I have not seen-and is certainly worth trying.
Corgiemom I have to agree with Sigrid however....one of the things that surprised hubby and I is that two of our bulging cans were ONLY 2 months out of their expiration date. We were in absolute shock-and I don't remember what they were, but these were well-known brands....and Sigrid is 100% correct: if we could "judge" food based on it's taste and looks, none of us would get food poisoning. By the way, this was canned food made in the US of A.....Please be careful-and I don't mean to lecture, but we need to share knowledge with each other.
Poodlepet

insomniac12655274717721 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
I wouldn't trust it.

insomniac

ivey12655319643208 PostsRegistered 6/25/2007
If it's good, this is the easiest, prettiest fruit salad in the world. Great for taking to pot luck.
1 can cherry pie filling
1 small can chunk pineapple--drained
1 small can mandarin oranges--drained
2 sliced bananas
Fast and really good.

dgluvr12655332405261 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008
> Open it up and taste it
WHAT????? YOU'RE KIDDING OF COURSE! RIGHT?-
And to the OT--- throw it out! How expensive could a new can be??????

cherry126555951516348 PostsRegistered 1/8/2005
No I am not kidding ..I didn't say eat it. tasting on the tip of your tongue isn't going to kill you or make you sick ..I have tasted sour milk and lived to tell of it..depending on how old the cans are it could still be good just not as tasty as something that was new
Would I used it? No..but that is not what the OP asked

cherry126556017816348 PostsRegistered 1/8/2005
* Use-By, Best if Used By, Best By, Best Before: These "use by" and “best” dates are generally found on shelf-stable products such as mustard, mayonnaise, and peanut butter.
The date, which is provided voluntarily by the manufacturer, tells you how long the product is likely to remain at its absolute best quality. But it is not a safety date.
After the "use by" or “best” date has passed, you may start to notice gradual changes in the product's texture, color, or flavor. But as long as you've been storing the item properly, you can generally consume it beyond this date.
Your best bet for gauging whether a product with this type of date is still of satisfactory quality is to simply smell and taste it first. Always discard foods that have developed an off odor, flavor or appearance. You can also consult the Keep It or Toss It database for optimal food storage times.
* Sell-By: Most sell-by dates are found on perishables like meat, seafood, poultry and milk. The date is a guide for stores to know how long they can display a particular product.
You should buy the product before the sell-by date expires. But you can still store it at home for some time beyond that date, as long as you follow safe storage procedures (check the Keep It or Toss It database for specific foods).
For instance, milk that has been continuously refrigerated will usually remain drinkable for about one week after the "sell by" date on the package. Likewise, you can store ground beef in your refrigerator for 1 to 2 days after purchasing it, even if the sell-by date expires during that time.
Expires On: The only place you're likely to encounter this type of date is on infant formula and some baby foods, which are the only food products the federal government regulates with regard to dating. You should always use the product before this date has passed.
Packing codes: These codes, which appear as a series of letters and/or numbers on the package, sometimes indicate the date or time of manufacture. Often, though, they simply appear as a meaningless jumble.
Either way, packing codes help manufacturers and grocers rotate their stock and quickly locate products in the event of a recall. But they are not meant to be interpreted as an indicator of either food safety or quality.
For more information on product dating, visit the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service Web site.
Note: This article refers to labeling terminology used in the United States; practices in other countries may differ.

nantucket ­shore12655631045662 PostsRegistered 10/14/2007
Chances are it will develop the taste of the can...if you've had it maybe that many years, how long did the store have it on their shelf.....I would toss it out...not worth even tasting it.
Just cleaned my pantry and my mom's..just sad to see all those forgotten canned goods thrown out but it's better than having us all sick.

lulu2126556318621649 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007
When in doubt, throw it out.
Ooops, I see someone else posted this.
--
Edited by lulu2 at 02/07/2010 8:20 AM PST

Last edited on 2/7/2010

Tabbycat12655636682835 PostsRegistered 12/2/2007
> If it's good, this is the easiest, prettiest fruit
> salad in the world. Great for taking to pot luck.
>
> 1 can cherry pie filling
> 1 small can chunk pineapple--drained
> 1 small can mandarin oranges--drained
> 2 sliced bananas
>
> Fast and really good.
ivey, thanks for posting this one. It sure does sound easy and pretty. :-x
The cherry pie filling....
That's a judgement call, but I think if I was sure it was only 3 years old .... the can has no dents or buldges and it looked and smelled alright .... and oh, if the label is not yellowed....teeheeee. I wouldn't be afraid to use it.
--
Tabby
~~~At My Age...Less Is More~~~

Tabby
~ At my age ... Less is More~
"Without Failure, We Would Not Recognize Success"

Foodie 71265589182749 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006
> No I am not kidding ..I didn't say eat it. tasting on
> the tip of your tongue isn't going to kill you or
> make you sick ..I have tasted sour milk and lived to
> tell of it..depending on how old the cans are it
> could still be good just not as tasty as something
> that was new
"...tasting on the tip of your tongue isn't going to kill you or make you sick." I suspect none of us know how much (or how little) of a contaminated food product it takes to make us sick or what the product is contaminated with. Why take the risk? One kind of food poisoning (botulism) can kill you, not just make you ill. I'm not suggesting that an old can of cherry pie filling contains botulism or salmonella or staphyloccus or anything else, but I am suggesting that we can't tell from tasting a food item whether or not it's spoiled. It might taste just fine.
As for sour milk -- the bacteria that cause milk to sour does not cause illness -- at least not normally but who of us can insure that milk that has soured contains non-harmful bacteria?
--
Foodie

cherry126559178416348 PostsRegistered 1/8/2005
According to studies there is little chance that properly canned food will spoil..I am assuming this food wasn't recalled the lady had in her cupboard..would I want to use it NO...but that doesn't mean it isn't safe and the prior article I posted suggested tasting to see if the food was still appealing
I can't see why these studies would lie about the safety of canned goods

Canned Food Study One
A Food and Drug Administration Article about a shelf life test that was conducted on 100-year old canned foods that were retrieved from the Steamboat Bertrand can be read at the following link:
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/CONSUMER/CON00043.html
Following is a brief summary of a very small portion of the above article:
"Among the canned food items retrieved from the Bertrand in 1968 were brandied peaches, oysters, plum tomatoes, honey, and mixed vegetables. In 1974, chemists at the National Food Processors Association (NFPA) analyzed the products for bacterial contamination and nutrient value. Although the food had lost its fresh smell and appearance, the NFPA chemists detected no microbial growth and determined that the foods were as safe to eat as they had been when canned more than 100 years earlier. The nutrient values varied depending upon the product and nutrient. NFPA chemists Janet Dudek and Edgar Elkins report that significant amounts of vitamins C and A were lost. But protein levels remained high, and all calcium values 'were comparable to today's products.'"
"NFPA chemists also analyzed a 40-year-old can of corn found in the basement of a home in California. Again, the canning process had kept the corn safe from contaminants and from much nutrient loss. In addition, Dudek says, the kernels looked and smelled like recently canned corn."
"According to a recent study cosponsored by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and NFPA, canned foods provide the same nutritional value as fresh grocery produce and their frozen counterparts when prepared for the table. NFPA researchers compared six vegetables in three forms: home-cooked fresh, warmed canned, and prepared frozen. 'Levels of 13 minerals, eight vitamins, and fiber in the foods were similar,' says Dudek. In fact, in some cases the canned product contained high levels of some vitamins that in fresh produce are destroyed by light or exposure to air."
Canned Food Study Two
A canned food shelf life study conducted by the U.S. Army revealed that canned meats, vegetables, and jam were in an excellent state of preservation after 46 years.
The Washington State University summary article can be read at:
http://www.whatcom.wsu.edu/family/facts/shelflif.htm
Dry Food Study One
A scientific study conducted at Brigham Young University on the shelf life of a variety of different dry foods can be read at both of the following links:
http://ce.byu.edu/cw/womensconference/archive/2005/sharing_stations/pdf/52a.pdf
http://www.providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,7797-1-4222-1,00.html
A brief summary of the above web site information shows the following estimated shelf life per dry food item:
Over 30 years for wheat and white rice.
30 years for pinto beans, macaroni, rolled oats, and potato flakes.
20 years for powdered milk.
All dry food items should be stored in airtight moisture proof containers at a temperature between 40ºF to 70°F.
Salt, baking soda, and granulated sugar still in their original containers have no known shelf life limit if properly stored.
Dry Food Study Two
http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2007/0208-keeping_food_for_years.htm
Following are some direct quotes taken from the above web site:
Food scientists now know that, when properly sealed, some dried food that's been sitting on shelves for years, could still be OK to eat.
"It lasts a lot longer than we thought," Oscar Pike a food scientist at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, tells DBIS.
Scientists have known certain foods like sugar and salt can be stored indefinitely, but wanted to learn the shelf life of other food like dried apples -- stored since 1973 -- tried by taste testers.
"I like to call it the emergency shelf life of the food, food that you'd still be willing to eat in an emergency," Pike says. "It's not as though it were freshly canned, but it's certainly edible."
He says the best foods to store are low in moisture, like wheat and powered milk. But keep all foods away from heat and light to stop it from going stale and losing nutritional value. "All the foods that we've tested have been stored at room temperature or below, so you want to avoid attic and garage storage."
In the study, researchers taste-tested rolled oats that had been stored in sealed containers for 28 years. Three-fourths of tasters considered the oats acceptable to eat in an emergency.
Dry Food Study Three
http://beprepared.com/article.asp?ai=579&sid=INEM327&EID=ALL0608d&lm=emer&bhcd2=1213479534
Following are some quotes taken from the above web site:
It is important to first identify what is meant by "food storage" and "shelf life." "Food storage" that is intended to be held long-term is generally considered to be low moisture food packed in either #10 cans or in metalized bags placed within large buckets. "Shelf life" can be defined in the following two ways:
"Best if used by" shelf life - Length of time food retains most of its original taste and nutrition.
"Life sustaining" shelf life - Length of time food preserves life, without becoming inedible.
There can be a wide time gap between these two definitions. For example, most foods available in the grocery store that are dated have a "Best if used by" date that ranges from a few weeks to a few years. On the other hand, scientific studies have determined that when properly stored, powdered milk has a "Life sustaining" shelf life of 20 years. That is, the stored powdered milk may not taste as good as fresh powdered milk, but it is still edible.
Shelf life is extremely dependent on the following storage conditions:
Temperature: Excessive temperature is damaging to food storage. With increased temperature, proteins breakdown and some vitamins will be destroyed. The color, flavor and odor of some products may also be affected. To enhance shelf life, store food at room temperature or below; never store food in an attic or garage.
Moisture: Excessive moisture can result in product deterioration and spoilage by creating an environment in which microorganisms may grow and chemical reactions can take place.
Oxygen: The oxygen in air can have deteriorative effects on fats, food colors, vitamins, flavors, and other food constituents. It can cause conditions that will enhance the growth of microorganisms.
Light: The exposure of foods to light can result in the deterioration of specific food constituents, such as fats, proteins, and vitamins, resulting in discoloration, off-flavors, and vitamin loss.
Q: Can pathogens like E. coli 0157:H7 and Salmonella survive the processing required to produce shelf-stable juices?
A: No. Normally shelf-stable juices are hot-filled. The juice is heated to temperatures generally above 170° F and then poured into the container, which is immediately capped. The heat from the juice sterlizes the container during a holding period before cooling. That high temperature is far above the heat required to completely inactivate pathogens like E. coli 0157:H7 and Salomonella, which have caused outbreaks involving unpasteurized juices

dgluvr12655994385261 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008
You can quote statistics all you want, but is it really worth the risk of getting sick? Or making someone else sick that might be more sensitive?You're talking about one can for heaven's sake-is that going to break the bank?
--
Edited by dgluvr at 02/07/2010 6:27 PM PST

Last edited on 2/7/2010

cherry126559984716348 PostsRegistered 1/8/2005
I have said more than once I wouldn't do it..but because I wouldn't doesn't mean it isn't safe...I am too cowardly but there are people who obviously don't feel like that and can back it up with case histories
One lady on this thread already said she would use it

straitgirl126564827021960 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006
Personally I wouldn't take the chance. Anything will get old over time. If you choose to use it, inspect to make sure the can isn't dented or bulging. I would toss & buy new.
--
Life is like a snowstorm...you'll meet a lot of flakes.

Page 1 of 1