Holidays at Home
145 Members and 12205 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Stir Crazy Popcorn Maker recipes...

Started 1262533476 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1262603413 by itsworthalook
replies
I finally broke down and got one of these, I eat a lot of popcorn! Has anyone made Kettle Corn in the Stir Crazy? I'm wondering if it's too hot and would burn the sugar... It would be great to be able to add sugar and spices (cinnamon and maybe cayenne) right to the machine. The recipes that came with the machine all call for cooking sugar on the stove and finishing the popcorn in the oven.
Also, any other ideas for different popcorn flavors/add-ons? Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
LindaCinKY12625402621108 PostsRegistered 11/25/2009
I remember seeing a demo and the lady put a spoonful of sugar on top of the popped corn in the bowl, I think. I don't think she put on the sugar while it was popping.

cookiegal1262568697598 PostsRegistered 2/6/2007
Hi. I've never made but regular popcorn in my stir crazy, but I wanted to reply just to say be careful with yours. I had mine for a short while (purchased it at Sears--same exact thing). And after the third time, I noticed that the non-stick coating was coming off!!!!!!! I didn't realize sooner and we must have injested the small particles!!!! I called stir crazy and they weren't too helpful--saying it was "normal" wear and tear, etc. Which is nuts--I had only used it a handful of times. I think I could have pressed it with them, but I just gave up. I haven't used it since!!! I think it's caused by that metal piece scraping the bowl. Hopefully you won't have the same problem I did!!!!

treadle126258190564 PostsRegistered 8/23/2007
I wanted Kettle Corn also. So I researched a few sites on the internet and decided to go for it with my Stir Crazy. Worked great. I did let the oil and kernels heat up first and when they started to pop I quickly added the sugar. I made enough that it lasted for a few days and stayed "crispy".
My concern with my new Stir Crazy is that the stirring rod doesn't lay evenly no matter how I try to position it. One side does all of the stirring to the bottom. Is that how they all are? I keep meaning to call customer service and forget.

itsworthal­ook12626034131006 PostsRegistered 1/7/2009North of Philly
Thanks everyone! My stirring bar sits pretty high, sometimes the kernels go under it... I see that it changes directions when it feels resistance. I too am leery of the non-stick surfaces. We'll see how long it lasts.
I think I will just try the Kettle corn as suggested here, thanks!

Page 1 of 1