TSV(R) Preview
44 Members and 9170 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Temptations - ?

Started 1261920793 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1291318295.85 by Texas Barbie
I ordered for a holiday present a OTO - Snowman set from Temptations - 1 round/1 square dish.
Oh they are so pretty -- BUT ....OMG they have "crackled" lines in them since we cooked in them...Any suggestions???
I own alot of the colored pieces, etc. and I never had this happen.
Is this normal -- dish is not broken -- just glazing cracked!!
thank you!

Page 1 of 2
Have6cats1261940814429 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007
Home,
If the glazing is cracked, I would not use them and I would DEFINITELY send them back!
When the glazing is cracked liquid will migrate through the cracks..both ways....YUCK..not good.
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I have a small
collection of Temptations that I use daily.
Now, I'll keep my eye out for glazing cracks.
HTH
Cats

Angelslove126194319979 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
I don't know what is going on with temptations but I don't think it's as good as it use to be I not only had the glaze cracked in two sets but on Christmas eve I took my sweet potato casserole out of the oven set it on a trivet heard something go pop and the bottom cracked and a piece fell out of the baking dish the size of a saucer.
I was so upset that was a side dish for our Christmas eve meal and I had to put it in the trash yesterday I got my husband to take all my temptation sets to goodwill he told them if they want them they can have them. I went back to Anchor Hocking bakeware made in the USA. This is the second piece of temptations to crack no more for me.

samey126194496029 PostsRegistered 9/30/2009
I had bought a dish with apples on it a few yrs ago from Temptations and it had cracks.Threw it away.It is not safe to use a dish with cracked glaze and I often wonder if the glaze contains lead since it comes from China. I went back to my corning ware that is made in the USA,has handles and glass lids.
I did buy a piece of Old World for a gift.My friend saw my dish a few months ago and liked it.I put cookies in the dish as part of the gift.I compared it to my old world set that I got as a TSV years ago.The painting is not as good and the top just sits on top.My set had tabs on the top that snapped onto the dish.Why did they change that?I saw many postings about people not liking the lids and couldn't understand why and now I know.The quality has gone downhill.....

deemun126195638637 PostsRegistered 10/5/2007
I received a piece of Temptations as a Christmas gift this holiday. What a disappointment. The painting looks smeared and very unattractive. What a difference from a set I bought a few years ago. Yes, the quality has gone downhill.

Angelslove126195719179 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
> I received a piece of Temptations as a Christmas gift
> this holiday. What a disappointment. The painting
> looks smeared and very unattractive. What a
> difference from a set I bought a few years ago. Yes,
> the quality has gone downhill.
Your right deemun the quality of temptations has gone downhill I had several sets but after my sweet potato casserole dish cracked Christmas eve setting on a trivet that did it for me.
I got rid of all my sets husband took them all to goodwill told them if they wanted the bakeware they could have them.
I can't afford to put food in them and have them crack when you take the dish out of the oven this is the second dish to crack.

Caron12212619588181109 PostsRegistered 4/10/2007Texas
After hearing of others problems, I decided to not cook in my Temptations but only to serve or store in them.
I wanted pretty serveware, so this works nicely. But for those who wanted to cook in them, they're like playing russian roulette with your food (will it crack this time? Next time?)

saywhen1262048869257 PostsRegistered 7/5/2008
Every time I read negative comments about this line, I wonder how can the Q/Tara keep pushing them. I have ordered many different pieces---but now use only for serving because of comments about poor quality for baking. Some of the pieces I really like and have written positive reviews for that piece but I am tempted to box them all up for Goodwill---returned the 11 piece because of range of colors within the set and that was my last order. Maybe we should all call in during a show and ask about cracking issue!

ravenchow1262049305388 PostsRegistered 11/10/2006
I would return them now while you can still get your money back. Those lines will probably crack eventually. I sent back 2 identical sets that had a dish that cracked---and were luckily still under warranty both times so I didn't lose any money. Last Christmas, one of my dishes with grey spider lines eventually cracked after taking it out of the oven with a prime rib sitting in it. The warranty was expired on that set so the piece went in the garbage & I lost the money on it. Since that third piece, I will no longer purchase any Temp-tations. I will gradually replace them with Emile Henry & Le Creuset bakeware. I've had one Emile Henry piece for awhile now & the inside is snow white. I have yet to see any lines appear in that piece after dish washing, refrigeration, & oven use.
:)Jody

rosehill12620497893363 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007
Saywhen-if you call in during the show-trust me, they will not allow you to say your mind. It will not air-....
--
Edited by rosehill at 12/28/2009 4:23 PM PST

Last edited on 12/28/2009

PytnPlace1262050980221 PostsRegistered 10/30/2009
I saw a Temp-tations presentation this past fall when the caller asked if it's normal to have cracks in the glaze. Tara responded "Yes".

Daysdee126213141019025 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007
I bought the pedestal mugs and will be returning them. The color (lilac) is so faded it looks pink. Doesn't match original color at all. I have one square dish (Tapestry pattern) that is very pretty and the glaze is vibrant and shiny. I do notice some lines on the inside bottom now. If it cracks, I will probably get rid of all Temp-tations and not order again. Disappointed in the faded-looking colors of the newer pieces. I'll be more selective about ordering in the future. I have some nice pieces of other brands of ceramic ware that I have purchased at Marshall's at very reasonable prices -- no cracks and have had them a couple of years. Also, I hate the $7.00 or $8.00 or more in shipping charges for Temp-tations.

pporce12621321201 PostsRegistered 10/19/2008
I went to this forum to see if anyone else is having the same problem as me and it seems everyone is. Almost all my temptations now have cracks in them, even the christmas mugs I bought last year and I don't cook with them. I keep saying I guess you get what you pay for. She sells temptations at a very good price but I guess she is now skimping on the quality. I'm going to switch to either Rachel Rey or Paula Dean. I really hope someone at QVC reads these complaints and does something about it, but how will we know????

Daysdee126213373619025 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007
Since I didn't have lines or cracking problems before, I kept buying. The light-colored, faded-looking mugs just reinforce that the quality is way down. Like I said, I'm returning them. I really didn't need them and I'll probably find cuter mugs in my shopping at TJM or Marshall's. Also, the pedestal mugs from Tempt. don't fit my Keurig so I can't use them for morning coffee.

Angelslove126213582079 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
I have spent a lot of money on temptation sets but after having two baking dishes crack with food in them on a trivet cooling I gave every piece away to goodwill lost a lot of money.
I bought that bakeware to bake in what good are they if they are going to crack with food in them. I will not buy temptations again I bought Anchor Hocking made in the USA not as pretty as temptations but I bet they last longer.

3Proverbs5126263449288 PostsRegistered 9/17/2006
Are temptations suppose to get hot in the microwave? I don't use them in the microwave much, but heated a few peas on a small snowman plate for my daughter and the plate was really hot even where the peas were NOT. There is also a dark crack now. Please help. I have some older Temptation pieces that I love.

ravenchow1262641523388 PostsRegistered 11/10/2006
If you've had your dishes for less than a year, QVC will refund or send out new, etc under the 1 year warranty. If you're after 1 year, then you're out the money. I think the problem with the reviews on Temp-tations is that people review the dishes shortly after receiving them & using them only a few times. The problem is that the dishes may hold up for awhile, but gradually those lines appear & seem harmless. Then, they break. It's too late if you've already left your reviews & then the reviews are not at all accurate. I figure people will eventually stop buying. That stuff is on all the time. Many people here have shared the same story over & over so you can imagine all the people not reading the message boards that have had the same experience....assuming they're using the pieces & not just collecting them.
:)Jody

LindaCinKY12626588291108 PostsRegistered 11/25/2009
> If you've had your dishes for less than a year, QVC
> will refund or send out new, etc under the 1 year
> warranty. If you're after 1 year, then you're out
> the money. I think the problem with the reviews on
> Temp-tations is that people review the dishes shortly
> after receiving them & using them only a few times.
> The problem is that the dishes may hold up for
> r awhile, but gradually those lines appear & seem
> harmless. Then, they break. It's too late if you've
> already left your reviews & then the reviews are not
> at all accurate. I figure people will eventually
> stop buying. That stuff is on all the time. Many
> people here have shared the same story over & over so
> you can imagine all the people not reading the
> message boards that have had the same
> experience....assuming they're using the pieces & not
> just collecting them.
>
> :)Jody
Sometimes I've wondered if different batches of the temp-tations could be more susceptible to the crazing, cracking and breaking issues. Like, the firing before glazing, firing after glazing, and the glazing process itself. Something could have affected a batch's durability and not affect all pieces. But, who's to know when a piece bought will be a dud?
These issues and the seemingly recent lower quality control standards has made me a lot more cautious in what temp-tations I will buy. So far, I've only bought a covered baker and the mixing bowl set in cobalt blue. In fact, I bought both twice--the baker to replace the one that my mom accidentally broke, and the mixing bowls because I use the small one for salads and will use the larger one for small batches of mixes and as prep bowls.
I've had my eye on a few of the temp-tations pieces, but instead went to pfaltzgraff and bought a bunch of sale and clearance items. :) We've used pfaltzgraff for years and it's pretty durable. I may still collect a few temp-tations pieces to use, but still will be very cautious. Wish it wasn't so 'cause there are some great looking temp-tations pieces!

moreta1263234246176 PostsRegistered 10/11/2007Chicago via Seattle
This seems to be happening more and more. I've read more notes about problems with Temptations in the last month than ever before. I think the manufacturer needs to be careful or they are going to end up off the air. Way too many complaints about shoddy workmanship.

Peace and Joy to ya all.

allaboutqu­ality12639552881 PostsRegistered 1/19/2010
I just sent back the 9x13 dish in the tote set. I used it once for meatloaf, put it in the dishwasher and it cracked across the entire bottom. I have several temptation sets I just purchased and so far this is the only one I have had trouble with. I will abolutely not purchase any additional temptation ware.
I tried to post this in a review for the set but QVC refused it for posting. Not hard to guess why.

EmmyLu1263956258639 PostsRegistered 1/17/2010
Thanks to all for your comments.
I was on the fence about whether to order as some sets look so darling and practical.
You have convinced me - cracked glazing, breaking dishes and painting issues - not in my kitchen!

Beware - cats own this house!

net601271844772.68329 PostsRegistered 8/29/2009

I have had to return 2 set of temptations because of the same problem. The dishes are cracking!  QVC did refund the cost of these sets including shipping.  Unfortunately, I will not purchase any other sets.  I would rather purchase a known brand, pay more, but not have to worry about the dishes cracking.

luvsbulldo­gs1271868650.3572125 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I bought several sets of temptations years back and at first everything was fine.  One day I was baking chicken in the large baking dish and I heard a noise coming from my oven.  When I opened the oven door the dish had split in half and all the juices from the chicken dish were going onto the coils of the oven.  Since then 2 more have cracked but not split in half like the first one.  I no longer use them for anything. 

chickenbutt1271879713.5724228 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I've never been tempted by Temptations, so I cannot answer to what sounds like their declining quality lately, but somebody mentioned that Corning Ware is made in the US and I can answer to that.  They have been making Corning Ware in China for a little while now.

I didn't realize that until a couple of years ago when my husband brought me home some new Corning Ware, a set of French White, when I had broken one of my old (made in the US) ones.  I was surprised and disappointed that it was all made in China.

Last I knew, however, Pyrex was still made in the US.  I hope that hasn't changed.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Topaz Gem1271881554.89315995 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007Scenic New Hampshire

I hope you all will take the time to write your experiences in an email and send them to Tara on her website.  She may not keep up with the threads on this BB and your input is very valuable and something that she should definitely hear about.  I just invested in my first Temp-tations set (Toile), but haven't baked in it yet.  I waited a long time to get a set, because I wanted to find just the right pattern.  I will keep all of your experiences in mind when I finally do bake in them.  I hope that they don't break because I just love the Toile pattern, but if they do, you can be sure that I will let Tara and QVC know.  Not only is that dangerous to have them crack in the oven, but it speaks for the lack of quality of goods made in China. 

I would pay MORE to buy Temp-tations made in the USA - it would be worth it!  They are beautiful and a wonderful idea for your table, but only if they stand the test of time, and these made-in-China pieces obviously do not work the way they claim to.  My dream is to have Temp-tations pair up with Peterboro Baskets and make some really beautiful sets, but not until the ceramic is made in the USA! Cool

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. ~ Albert Camus

kittyfan1271882296.115925 PostsRegistered 11/6/2008Central Tx

I have experienced the crazing---I'm done with that brand.   I switched my allegience to Fiesta.  Costs more--but its so much heavier and more durable than the Temptations.  Someone must be buying it--because it seems to fy out the door---and she just brings more and more.  No thanks. 

Page 1 of 2