TSV(R) Preview
113 Members and 12101 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

What is the best Gourmet popcorn

Started 1260360902 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1260733231 by mallemo
Does anyone have a favorite Gourmet popcorn? And where can you purchase it.
Thanks

Page 1 of 1
Chicagoan12603663552681 PostsRegistered 6/11/2008CHICAGOLAND
Butterfly12... Garrett's popcorn is to die for! Garrett's is a famous popcorn shop in Chicago and people line up down the street for their popcorn. Tourist that come to Chicago, must go home with this popcorn. Their cheese and carmel corn are just awesome! They sell online
http://www.garrettpopcorn.com
--
Robin
"Remember, if Christmas isn't found in your heart, you won't find it under a tree."
~ Charlotte Carpenter.
--
Edited by Chicagoan at 12/09/2009 4:51 AM PST

Last edited on 12/9/2009

Robin ....

Midlife is the time we begin “to listen with our ♥ heart.”

DianeInTx1260369655134 PostsRegistered 11/4/2004
Robin - thanks for that link
I have been looking for a food basket to send my family...in Chicago...for Christmas this year. I have been looking for recomendations from people who have actually received/sent the food baskets and was well received.
I was going to send Prindable apples, but been hearing so many no good reviews lately...

Chicagoan12603827642681 PostsRegistered 6/11/2008CHICAGOLAND
DBH323...Your family will love this popcorn!!!! The cheese and carmel...oh my, it doesn't get any better. If your family is from Chicago, they are probably familiar with Garrett's. They are in Downtown Chicago.
In 2002, Oprah selected "The Chicago Mix" as one of her "Favorite Things" exclaiming, "It is so good! I love when you mix the cheese with the caramel!" Again in 2005 Garrett was selected as one of Oprah's "Favorite Things" in a holiday show dedicated to the relief workers of Hurricane Katrina.
--
Robin
"Remember, if Christmas isn't found in your heart, you won't find it under a tree."
~ Charlotte Carpenter.
--
Edited by Chicagoan at 12/09/2009 9:25 AM PST

Last edited on 12/9/2009

Robin ....

Midlife is the time we begin “to listen with our ♥ heart.”

DianeInTx1260385516134 PostsRegistered 11/4/2004
Thanks Robin
I have been looking at the Chicago Mix..
I am from the suburbs of Chicago, now in TX, but I never heard of Garretts...I suspect everybody will like it..just trying to decide on the money. They have a shipping special until Sat so I need to make up my mind.
Appreciate the idea......and I love all the tin choices too

CalmInTheH­eart12603905047290 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007
My favorite is by Earl May.... a local garden center.
http://www.earlmay.com/
--
Peace

Peace

Foodie 71260394389740 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006
Butterfly12 you didn't specify whether or not you wanted already popped or unpopped popcorn. If you want unpopped, my favorites are from popcornpopper.com. I also purchased my Whirley Pop Stovetop Popcorn popper from them.
I switched to this method of making corn after I decided I didn't want to eat or smell or the chemical additives added to microwave popcorn. It takes a tiny bit longer to make this than microwave popcorn but not enough to matter. I can make a large bowl of popcorn using only 1 teaspoon of oil. Small amount of oil, fresh popcorn, no additives - a winning and healthier mix in my opinion.
--
Foodie

Janarama126040383898 PostsRegistered 11/11/2004
Garrett's Popcorn is THE BEST POPCORN EVER!!!!!!!
I used to work in Downtown Chicago and bought Garrett's PC about once a month. The store was located right across from the Chicago Public Library, which is right by the entrance to the train station. They eventually opened up a small store right in the train station; not sure if it's still there because I haven't been downtown in several years.
My two favorite flavors are the caramel corn and the cheese corn. However, the butter popcorn is also very good.
You will not be disappointed with Garrett's Popcorn.

santorini12604039817090 PostsRegistered 1/26/2007
Thanks for the recommendations on Garrett's. I had a couple of out-of-town people I needed to buy for and I sent them tins of this popcorn today. I hope they love it! :-)

Alismom1260405014776 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
I have had Garrett's sent to me and thought it was good but not all that. Maybe if you buy it at the shop when it's just made it's to die for but I found it just ok and it's super expensive to send someone. I may be in the minority...

golden mar­iposa12604135041413 PostsRegistered 11/10/2007
I love Black Jewel popcorn. You can buy it in regular or microwave versions. The kernels are black but they pop snowy white. Very very few hulls. It is a family owned business. I think they are located in Illinois. I saw it recently at Big Lots at a fantastic price so I picked up several bags and boxes. Check it out.
--
A little love can make a big difference

"In order to be irreplaceable; one must always be different. " Coco Chanel

doglover312604225189788 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
what is the name of the pop corn they use to sell here on QVC? they also had a web site and I got mine there but now for the life of me I can't remember the name anymore, anyone?

Butterfly1212604497253846 PostsRegistered 11/1/2005
> Butterfly12 you didn't specify whether or not you
> wanted already popped or unpopped popcorn. If you
> want unpopped, my favorites are from
> popcornpopper.com. I also purchased my Whirley Pop
> Stovetop Popcorn popper from them.
>
> I switched to this method of making corn after I
> I decided I didn't want to eat or smell or the
> chemical additives added to microwave popcorn. It
> takes a tiny bit longer to make this than microwave
> popcorn but not enough to matter. I can make a large
> bowl of popcorn using only 1 teaspoon of oil. Small
> amount of oil, fresh popcorn, no additives - a
> winning and healthier mix in my opinion.
>
> --
> Foodie
Hi,
I wanted unpopped popcorn, like you I don't want to buy popcorn with chemcical additiives either. Thank you for the website. I have a great popcorn popper that I purchased at Target. It is a popcorn bowl and works great. I got tired of popping the kernels on the stove took so long. This pop bowl is great.

Butterfly1212604592763846 PostsRegistered 11/1/2005
> I love Black Jewel popcorn. You can buy it in
> regular or microwave versions. The kernels are black
> but they pop snowy white. Very very few hulls. It
> is a family owned business. I think they are located
> in Illinois. I saw it recently at Big Lots at a
> fantastic price so I picked up several bags and
> boxes. Check it out.
>
> --
> A little love can make a big difference
I just came back from the grocery store and found the Black Jewel. Thanks for this suggestion

vulture126056352355 PostsRegistered 4/2/2009
I have tried Popcorn Palace - also located in Chicago - probably competition for Garretts - popcorn is awesome cuz you can just buy the big bags of it but the shipping is killer! They also have the carmel/cheddar mix. You might want to compare the prices with Garrett's and shipping also. The peanut butter drizzle is awesome!

momtotwinb­oyz12606765202705 PostsRegistered 12/12/2009
My kids had a school fundraiser last month for Popcorn Palace. I bought several flavors myself. I received so many complaints on the carmel. I've had better carmel popcorn from the grocery store. It was very thinly coated and tasted as though there was no butter in the recipe. The cheese was very good though. My kids made me buy the rainbow popcorn which was actually flavored like grape, cherry, lemon, ect. Strange stuff....

mallemo126073323110037 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007Minnesota
The popcorn that QVC used to sell is BKH (BK Heuermanns) but it is no longer being made. They were bought out by ConAgra, who is not producing it. Very sad as it was the best.

Page 1 of 1