Guaranteed Delivery
108 Members and 15972 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Baking in the Nesco roaster - does it really work??

Started 1260151707 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1260493564 by DayDreamer
OK - bought an 18-quart Nesco and have done 2 amazing turkeys so far, have ribs cooking in it tonight, but am REALLY curious about using it to bake. Would love to be able to do some banana loaves or even bars in there...does it work well for baking? Do things turn out as good (or perhaps better) than baking in the oven?
Will be doing a frenzy of baking in the next week or so, and if I can multitask with my Nesco, it'll truly be my home run purchase of the year!!
thanks all in advance!

Page 1 of 1
newtome12601532761424 PostsRegistered 10/5/2007

Last edited on 10/2/2010

Last edited on 10/2/2010

Nightowlz126016765810019 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Don't know why I have never tried baking in mine. If you do post back & let us know how things turn out. I don't know why baking foods in it would not be just as good as Turkey, roasts ribs etc. turn out.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

Topaz Gem126020639716420 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007Scenic New Hampshire
I bake in my Nescos all the time. It's great for when you have to bake in the summer and you don't want to heat up your kitchen with your regular oven.
--
Autumn, the year's last, loveliest smile. ~ William Cullen Bryant

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. ~ Albert Camus

DayDreamer12602075761388 PostsRegistered 8/8/2006Texas
Yes, it really does work. I only have a 4-qt. now, having given my 12-qt. to a son and his wife a few years ago, but I have used both of them to bake various items, such as baked potatoes, casseroles, extra dressing at Thanksgiving (I stopped doing Christmas dinners a long time ago), muffins/cupcakes, fruit pies, etc. -- actually, just about anything that will fit on the rack in the roaster. Both of these were purchased from QVC in either 1989 or 1990, when Virginia Olsen was the Nesco rep, and both are still in good working condition. :-)
It's especially nice in the summer to use the roaster on the patio for baking or for barbecue ribs, or just about any "oven" cooking and not heat up my kitchen.
--
Fran

Fran

Constant G­ardener1260296423173 PostsRegistered 1/6/2007Washington
The main reason I bake turkeys, roasts, etc. in the Nesco is because I don't want to "clean up" the oven afterwards. Anything that splashes food in the oven gets put in the Nesco. I have two sizes. The little one can be used to cook stews, etc. I first got Nescos because I lived in the South and could cook outside on the patio and save the air conditioning. I guess you could cook cookies, pies and such in the Nesco but I haven't done that. If I did I would put a tall rack in it so it would be in the center. Also I have a fan in the large one so it acts like a convection oven. Love those ovens!

PhotoQueen1260299234345 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007
I have made my Thanksgiving turkey in my 18 quart Nesco every year for about 5 years and it always always is the best turkey ever. It is so moist and tender and picture perfect. I only have a single oven so this way my oven is freed up for all of the side dishes. I have never used it for anything other then the turkey though.

Lisa_PHX1260339860409 PostsRegistered 1/27/2008
Thanks for all of the replies - I'm going to give it a whirl with some pumpkin bread. I liked the idea of a taller rack to center things - the 18quart is a big one for such a little loaf pan :-)...may need to have a look for one of those. Will post the verdict this weekend...

10sluvr12603615422069 PostsRegistered 12/17/2006
i know this is alittle OT, but i just bought a red nesco 5qt. roaster from amazon.com. i will try to bake in this and save heating up the kitchen, in the summer. i wish the q still offered the nesco roasters.

Filly6712603641821881 PostsRegistered 12/26/2008
I don't think that there's anything that I haven't cooked in my Nescos. Normally my turkey goes in the oven but I have made, roasted veggies, stuffing, cheesecake, etc... You should be fine but it may make you feel better to just try one item first.

What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

Chey12603992013516 PostsRegistered 8/13/2006Oklahoma
I've baked cakes in my large roaster ... put them in a cake pan and set it on the rack. I had to let the steam vent out for cakes though ... condensation from the lid can drip down. I wouldn't say it's better than baking in the oven, but it gets the job done very well. My cakes don't brown on top in the Nesco, but my large Nesco is about 16 years old. And, with frosting, it didn't matter if the top was browned some or not.

Daysdee126048944519244 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007
> Yes, it really does work. I only have a 4-qt.
> now, having given my 12-qt. to a son and his wife a
> few years ago, but I have used both of them to bake
> various items, such as baked potatoes, casseroles,
> extra dressing at Thanksgiving (I stopped doing
> Christmas dinners a long time ago), muffins/cupcakes,
> fruit pies, etc. -- actually, just about anything
> that will fit on the rack in the roaster. Both of
> these were purchased from QVC in either 1989 or 1990,
> when Virginia Olsen was the Nesco rep, and both are
> still in good working condition. :-)
>
> It's especially nice in the summer to use the roaster
> on the patio for baking or for barbecue ribs, or just
> about any "oven" cooking and not heat up my kitchen.
>
> --
> Fran
I purchased Nescos too when Virginia Olsen was the Nesco rep. I sure miss her. She made you feel like getting in and cooking a lot! She did a great job. I have a 4 qt. now and a larger (10 QT.?) CE that I seldom use, but save it in case I need it for a holiday. I wish QVC still sold the Nesco roasters. I loved the presentations--especially when Virginia was the rep. It's a great product.

DayDreamer12604935641388 PostsRegistered 8/8/2006Texas
Daysdee,
I still miss Virginia Olsen; she was the best of the best. :-)
You do know she left because of illness? And, I believe she subsequently retired and I read somewhere she started doing painting with water colors and her work was beautiful. I believe she also does beautiful water color greeting cards to share her faith.
--
Fran

Fran

Page 1 of 1