Christmas in July(R) Sale
17 Members and 10250 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Green Pan: how to restore non-stick quality

Started 1303658394.95 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1303723553.45 by 4uthebest

Like others have experienced, my Green Pan is no longer non-stick. I read somewhere that baking soda with vinegar can get it back to being non-stick, so I tried that. It didn't work for me. Has anyone found something else that works?

Page 1 of 1
gardenman1303660706.85316428 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

I get killed everytime I say this, but the folks at America's Test Kitchen recently said the same thing, all nonstick pans have a limited effective lifespan regardless of how much you spend, or how you treat them. You might get six months to a year, maybe two if you don't cook a lot and then you've pretty much got to toss out the old pan and start with a fresh one. Nonstick coatings just don't last forever. The more you use/abuse the pan the sooner the coating will fail, but all of them fail over time. I buy cheaper pans (not the absolute cheapest, but cheaper) knowing that I'll have to toss it in a year or two and I only use the nonstick pans for things where the nonstickiness (if that's a word) really matters. Once the nonstickiness is gone, it's gone!

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

Mesmerize1303661756.923872 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Jersey Shore

I have a few Greenpans also, but sorry I haven't reached that point yet of non-stickiness yet. For me they have been nothing short of great pans, and wow cleanup is absolutely fantastic! A few pcs I've already had for a year give or take. I bought my few pieces off eBay for decent prices, so I don't feel so bad not having spent too much money in case they didn't live up to their name & claim.

Have you tried posting your query on the HSN boards too? Not as busy over there, but I'm sure there are other Greenpan users who may see it and offer suggestions.

My Reality Check bounced!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." --Will Rogers.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right, here I am, Stuck in the middle with you.

chickenbutt1303662007.5123463 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I've heard so many people have problems with the green pans. I think I'd just replace them with something more integrous.

Regular nonstick can last many years if treated right, and you are not emitting noxious fumes with them as long as you don't use them on high heat. I have pieces that I use all the time, and have for several years. They are like new (regular nonstick, however, not that green pan junk that hsn sells). You just have to use medium heat, no metal utensils, hand wash, and no Pam.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

winamac11303663143.3230189 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana

I love my green pans, but I don't really use them all that often as I don't cook much, LOL.

"Friends don't let friends...drink white zinfandel"

knittykitty1303663534.31028 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007Gig Harbor, WA

I am convinced there's no TRUE non-stick. They all stick one way or the other. I love the green pans (I bought open stock Cusininart Gourmet Green with coupons at BB and B) and don't cook higher than low medium. They are fast and cleanup is a breeze. Some foods DO stick, but the clean up is a snap and I don't worry about the surface breaking down and emitting fumes. I noticed a difference in that my regular, admittedly old, non-stick pans were smoking and had a smell.

To each his/her own. Try different open stock brands; there are many to choose from. I also have a Todd greenpan (2 burner grill pan) from HSN. It is NOT junk; very nice. I think part of the problem with the ceramics is that folks are cooking at their regular heat not realizing the directions say to use less heat as they cook hotter.

Checking on the HSN board might help with suggestions to return the pan to non-stick if it's just surface gunk.

I don't use Pam: when I want to use some oil I use a silicone pastry brush to apply as that controls the amt I am using (am on Weight Watchers and oil counts).

chickenbutt1303663751.74723463 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Knittykitty - Have you had your Cuisinart pans for a while? I've kind of been looking at a couple of the Cuisinart new nonstick lines, as there is one particular size of nonstick pan that I need and QVC seems to have stopped carrying their Hard Anodized II line (really nice pans!) and I never got that size. I like Cuisinart as a brand, so I've been eyeing some of them. They have so many lines now that I'm not sure what the best choice would be.

I think one place where they go wrong with presenting those hsn green pans is that they tell people they can use super high heat. So then people do it and they ruin the pans. QVC similarly mis-advises such as telling people to put their nonstick in the dishwasher, etc. I guess they sell more pans that way but it's a shame all the same.

Last edited on 4/24/2011

Last edited on 4/24/2011

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

nomless1303664246.4274279 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Thanks for your replies. I think my Green Pan is headed for the dust bin. I got only one, not a set, thank goodness. The nonstick lasted for only a half dozed uses or so, despite my treating it with kid gloves, never using non-stick spray, and hand washing. The nonstick quality lasted less than a month. Oh, well, lesson learned. Most of my pans are stainless steel, and I love their performance. Unlike the Green Pan, stainless steel is very easy to clean.

chickenbutt1303664543.6223463 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Nomless - sounds like the problem so many people have had with this line. Unfortunately, they continue to remove most of the bad reviews so people don't get a fair shot with knowing what it is really like.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

golden mar­iposa1303691916.3671413 PostsRegistered 11/10/2007

There is nothing you can do to restore them. Best thing is to throw them out and buy a better quality product.

"In order to be irreplaceable; one must always be different. " Coco Chanel

Angel181303692105.593451 PostsRegistered 1/24/2011

The GreePans aren't all that great in general. They have seemed to have improved after their first introduction back in 2004 though. Ceramic coated pans just don't hold up as well to any of PTFE coated pans according to Cooks Illustrated so it's better to stick with what you know. Just don't use metal utensils, heat over 500F, nonstick sprays or put it into the dishwasher. There was one poster over on the HSN boards saying that she owns a couple of T-fal pans that she's hand since the 80s and still work as well as they did when she bought them. Not sure if it's true, but if it is, it's a heck of a testimony for regular PTFE pans. I haven't heard of GreenPans being used more than over a year while the most I've heard for PTFE pans is 12-15 years.

knittykitty1303693115.861028 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007Gig Harbor, WA
On 4/24/2011 chickenbutt said:

Knittykitty - Have you had your Cuisinart pans for a while? I've kind of been looking at a couple of the Cuisinart new nonstick lines, as there is one particular size of nonstick pan that I need and QVC seems to have stopped carrying their Hard Anodized II line (really nice pans!) and I never got that size. I like Cuisinart as a brand, so I've been eyeing some of them. They have so many lines now that I'm not sure what the best choice would be.

I think one place where they go wrong with presenting those hsn green pans is that they tell people they can use super high heat. So then people do it and they ruin the pans. QVC similarly mis-advises such as telling people to put their nonstick in the dishwasher, etc. I guess they sell more pans that way but it's a shame all the same.

Last edited on 4/24/2011

I've had them a few months and love them. I soooooo agree: can't use on high heat (even tho' they say you can do so). Mine are the GreenGourmet by Cuisinart; I think these are fairly new. By buying 2 open stock pieces, BB&B offered a special free 10" round grill pan (like a crepe pan sort of). Don't know if that special is still on. I bought the 8", 10", got the grill pan and went back for the 11" griller (ridges). I use 'em all. They are hard anodized, but matching pans isn't as important as matching my jewelry, LOL, so happy they do match with each other and my other Caphalon (thank you TJ MAXX and Marshall's). I never pay full price for anything (except Barbara Bixby, or its sells out LOL)

If you want a set, I do think the Todd English pans are nice. The solo pan I got doesn't match my others as the ceramic is light blue instead of black (my preference) but it works great: I use it to make giant batches of roasted root veggies in the oven. HTH

bunny~1303693974.8131899 PostsRegistered 2/27/2011

Learned my lesson too late. I bought a whole set and they lasted about 3 months before they started to stick. Followed the directions and nothing helped. What a waste of money.

What doesn't break us makes us stronger.

4uthebest1303723553.453526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

After you treat with the baking soda/vinegar paste scrub, you season it with the oil like you did when it was new. You may have to do this 2-3 times.

If it still does not work, the next thing I have used to restore quite a bit of the surface is Scotchbrite Ceramic Stovetop cleaner that I got from Walmart. You know you have the right one as the applicator is shaped like a small iron. Again after this step you need to season the pans. This process too might need one extra treatment but I have been successful in restoring many pieces that previously I would have used as waste containers.

What is rather ironic, is that the high heat resistance which HSN/Todd/Joy tout is the main reason for the break down of the coating and that is why saucepans and dutch oven type pieces seem to hold their non-stick far longer than skillets. Since the early 60's teflon instructions have been to use on low or medium heat and interestingly enough, this holds true for the greenpan/ceramic surface cookware as well.

I also use to clean both cooking and outer surfaces of much of my cookware types the Heavy Duty Magic Eraser by Mr Clean instead of a rag or my fingers.

Last edited on 4/25/2011

Last edited on 4/25/2011

Page 1 of 1