Keurig Offer
63 Members and 10154 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

A Keurig problem I haven't seen before - can anyone help?

Started 1302532594.963 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1303072311.917 by Foodie 7

I have had a Keurig B70 for several years. When it works right I love it but...the latest problem is this. I get everything in place and press the Brew button. Instead of water being pumped from the internal hot water tank, through the K-cup and into my coffee cup, water is pumped from the hot water tank into the clear water reservoir at the top through the little tube . Of course no water goes through the K-cup into my cup and no coffee is brewed. I've heard of a number of Keurig issues but not this one.

The Keurig has been descaled numerous times and typically less than a week later the de-scale message is back on. I've also cleaned out the needles that puncture a hole in the K-cup numerous times. I have no idea how to solve this newest problems.

If any of you have had the water coming from the hot water tank back into the water reservoir problem, I'd appreciate hearing from you and knowing what the solution was. Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 1
JDW1741302540050.847348 PostsRegistered 2/17/2010

If the water isn't pumping into the K-Cup, the gizmo that punctures the top could be plugged with grounds. Remove it and clean it out with a paper clip, then rinse. Might be your problem.

bamamom1302540184.407979 PostsRegistered 2/19/2007State of Confusion

Have you contacted Keurig? Maybe go to the Keurig website and look at comments there for the same problem and resolution. Your correct; have not heard of this problem.

Lynneuk1302540324.518210 PostsRegistered 11/3/2006

We have started using filtered water from our PUR water filter to fill our Keurig.

Maybe this would help. But I would call Keurig, they should have the answer for you.

4uthebest1302545295.153526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

call Keurig as it sounds like an interesting problem

jldqvc4me1302567434.7291 PostsRegistered 3/31/2010Northeastern Pennsylvania

I use a PUR water filter as well, knock on wood, my Kuerig is over 4 years old and still runs fine.

Foodie 71302570336.193740 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006

Thanks for trying to help.

Nothing is plugged with grounds - I've already cleaned out the "needles" in case they were blocked. I do that as a matter of course now if there's a problem.

I've looked at the Keurig website but find no help for my problem there. I've also e-mailed Keurig but haven't heard from them yet.

Still hoping to find someone who has had my particular problem with my Keurig. I also wish Keurig would figure out what's causing the problems LOTS of people seem to be having with their Keurigs. If they don't get their quality control issues worked out soon, they're soon going to be number two in the single coffee cup business. As I said earlier I love my Keurig when it's working, but I keep having frequent problems.

Update to my first post today. The water seems to be flowing where it should now - into the coffee cup instead of back into the water reservoir but I have no idea what caused the problem or why it's okay at the moment. However I have a NEW problem. My machine has four different cup size choices' however the machine will only let me select the largest cup size.

Sometimes I think, "time for a new Keurig" but then my current one should still be working. Also I think, "What's to say that a new machine will be a better machine. People still complain greatly about the current machines. At the moment I'm a very frustrated Keurig customer.

BlueBirdSky1302570980.24721 PostsRegistered 6/22/2010

Sigird my Keurig did the exact same thing! It started that at 13 months old. One month after the warranty ran out of course!

Once or twice after fiddling with and cleaning it I got a cup or two but then it would start flowing back into the reservoir again. Keurig couldn't help me because it was out of warranty. I finally gave up.

Now I loved my Keurig when it worked but after its short life I did a lot of research and decided that there were too many people with dead machines in a short period of time to try another one. I ended up recently purchasing a Breville single cup brewer. It uses the exact same K-cups, even the my K-cup is the same. So far I love it! I actually think it makes a better cup of coffee. The iced coffee feature is way better than on the Keurig. And best of all it gets great reviews. The only poor reviews are from people who just don't seem to care for a single brewer or K-cup choices. I did not find any reviews on the web of a broken machine. I am keeping my fingers crossed this one last for me.

Good luck with your machine. I know it is frustrating.

Blue

bourgs41302571162.41232 PostsRegistered 3/17/2009

I had that problem and this is what I did and it has been running fine ever since.

Fill the water reservoir with straight vinegar--let it sit in there for 4 hours.

cycle all the vinegar out and a few clear water tanks full. That should take care of it.

BlueBirdSky1302571535.707721 PostsRegistered 6/22/2010

bourgs4 I did try just that. It didn't work for me. In fact I filled the tank with straight vinegar and tried it off and on for an entire day and it would not work. I then let it sit over night and tried once more the following morning and nothing. That is when I gave up. It is now sitting in my garage. I really wanted it to work!

I don't know if Sigird let her sit or not but I am pretty sure she said she cleaned it with vinegar.

Blue

Teapot1302714397.81995 PostsRegistered 7/31/2006
On 4/11/2011 4uthebest said:

call Keurig as it sounds like an interesting problem

Mine did the same thing. When I called their customer service line, the person who took my call acted like I was the first person on the planet to ever say that hot water was pumping back into the tank. But after the first person takes your info, they transfer you to someone else who doesn't pay any attention and goes right into the clean the needle, flush with vinegar routine. Oh, they're soooooo sweet and apologetic, but basically they have one script and they aren't going to say anything else. Whatever you say, they come back with the same answer. I think if I said it was shooting out chocolate Easter bunnies instead of coffee, the response would be exactly the same!

I took off the tank and water came out of the hole in the bottom of the brewer like Old Faithful about to blow! I put the empty tank back on and water backed up a good 2 inches. Their solution? Yep, more vinegar. I'm getting short cups now, but at least some coffee is coming out. I usually use the 10 oz button but now I use the 6 oz, lift the handle and put it back down, then brew the same k-cup using the the 8 oz button and get close to a 10 oz cup of coffee.

Foodie 71302893564.25740 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006
On 4/11/2011 Sigrid said:

I have had a Keurig B70 for several years. When it works right I love it but...the latest problem is this. I get everything in place and press the Brew button. Instead of water being pumped from the internal hot water tank, through the K-cup and into my coffee cup, water is pumped from the hot water tank into the clear water reservoir at the top through the little tube . Of course no water goes through the K-cup into my cup and no coffee is brewed. I've heard of a number of Keurig issues but not this one.

The Keurig has been descaled numerous times and typically less than a week later the de-scale message is back on. I've also cleaned out the needles that puncture a hole in the K-cup numerous times. I have no idea how to solve this newest problems.

If any of you have had the water coming from the hot water tank back into the water reservoir problem, I'd appreciate hearing from you and knowing what the solution was. Thanks in advance.

Follow-up to post above which was my post as well.

I finally talked to CS and then TS at Keurig. Other than the usual have you de-scaled it recently and paper clip in the needle routine, Keurig had no solution to my problem. They did offer me a discount on a new machine. Since there's no special deal currently at QVC on the B70 machine, I accepted the deal from Keurig on a new cinnamon B70. With discount of $39.95, total cost was $140, free shipping. I hope I've made the right decision as when my Keurig was working, I loved it and I really don't want anyone else's single cup coffee maker.

I did speak to the Keurig person about the problems I was reading about on this forum and wondered aloud about quality control issues. She said that though there was some problem a year ago Christmas, that problem was solved. I'll have to trust that it is. Yes, it's true, that we've seen and still see a number of folks posting about problems they've had with their Keurig, but when you compare those relatively few problems compared with the thousands and thousands of Keurig's that are sold (it's the best selling brand of single cup coffee makers), it puts things in a little different perspective. Please know that I'm not trying to discount the problems some of you have had and I'm sure trying to solve them has been extremely frustrating, but if the vast majority of people are happy with their Keurigs, it's essentially a good product. It's also true that people with a problem (me included) are likelier to post to a listserv or forum than are those without any problem.

MotorCity ­Chick1302893902.5931816 PostsRegistered 2/1/2005Michigan

Hi Sigrid, not too be too personal but if you dont mind answering is that your first name? It was my grandma's name and I love it...it was a really nice surprise to see it {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

madzonie1302894542.6174956 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007

Over the past couple years I've had excellent results from Keurig's CS, but you have to keep at them.

I just read a post from a Keurig K-Cup Yahoo group I belong to and was astounded at what the poster wrote - and astounded at the outcome, too. She said her 2 year old Keurig got invaded by sugar ants (ICK), and after spending a couple days cleaning the machine out, she was still getting ants in the water (ICK x 2). She called Keurig CS to ask how to disassemble the machine and they said they would just send her NEW one!

I think with their CS, it can be hit and miss. I've learned that you need to try to speak with the head of the CS department....or at least someone higher up than the folks who are on the frontline.

I hope you get enjoy your new machine and that it keeps on working for a long long time! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Foodie 71302895328.077740 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006
On 4/15/2011 originalln said:

Hi Sigrid, not too be too personal but if you dont mind answering is that your first name? It was my grandma's name and I love it...it was a really nice surprise to see it {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Yes originalln, Sigrid is my real name. While I was born in this country, as was my mother and two of her three sisters, her parents and oldest sister were born in Sweden, so that is the derivation of my name. When I was born, my mother told my father that she wanted a "real Swedish name." He suggested "Hildegarde" and my mother said, "Not that Swedish!" Apparently Sigrid was a compromise. My brother thinks that is a funny story and named his first dog, a dachshund, Hildegarde and told people it was named after his sister. They called the dog Hildy.

I believe I'm the only person in the world with my first and last name. Other Sigrids of course and others with my last name, but no one I've yet learned about with the same first and last name as I have. I google the combination regularly to check.

Thanks for asking. What is your grandma's background?

MotorCity ­Chick1302929784.4271816 PostsRegistered 2/1/2005Michigan
On 4/15/2011 Sigrid said:

Yes originalln, Sigrid is my real name. While I was born in this country, as was my mother and two of her three sisters, her parents and oldest sister were born in Sweden, so that is the derivation of my name. When I was born, my mother told my father that she wanted a "real Swedish name." He suggested "Hildegarde" and my mother said, "Not that Swedish!" Apparently Sigrid was a compromise. My brother thinks that is a funny story and named his first dog, a dachshund, Hildegarde and told people it was named after his sister. They called the dog Hildy.

I believe I'm the only person in the world with my first and last name. Other Sigrids of course and others with my last name, but no one I've yet learned about with the same first and last name as I have. I google the combination regularly to check.

What a great story, thanks for sharing! My great grandparents came to the US from Finland so my grandmother was conceived in Finland but born in the US. She was extremely proud of her heritage. Its funny you were going to be called Hildegarde, that was her sisters name! Its so nice to meet you, I will have to tell my mother I've meet a Sigrid, she will be as surprised as I was to see your name on here!

paShar1302933490.9531864 PostsRegistered 1/14/2006Western Pennsylvania

There was another Keurig thread about a month ago where a poster reported a similar problem as the OP. Sorry I don't remember the outcome.

I've just pitched my second Keurig in less than 2 years after multiple problems and the poor attitude of Keurig CS. My second one was a free one I got after the first one quit working. I just tossed it rather than try and deal with them and I'm not interested in getting another one that will most likely stop working after a few months just like the two I've already had.

Shar

Foodie 71302963758.387740 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006
On 4/15/2011 Sigrid said:

What a great story, thanks for sharing! My great grandparents came to the US from Finland so my grandmother was conceived in Finland but born in the US. She was extremely proud of her heritage. Its funny you were going to be called Hildegarde, that was her sisters name! Its so nice to meet you, I will have to tell my mother I've meet a Sigrid, she will be as surprised as I was to see your name on here!

Just a short addition as we're off topic here, but my mom's mother was pregnant with my mom's second oldest sister when her parents came to the US from Sweden. They always teased Alice about coming into the country illegally :-).

sweetmormor1303063277.8829 PostsRegistered 7/10/2010

I can understand how frustrating problems can be with anything and the Keurig is no exception! But, I have had one of the original "louder" models for almost 3 years without incidence - still going strong! I have looked at the Breville model out there and if I ever have to replace my Keurig I will consider it but I would have to really save my pennies for that one! Anyhow, my friend had a problem with her Keurig that was almost 2 years old and after the offer from Keurig CS to give her a discount on a new one (since it had been that long) - she pressed on further with them in a "sweet" manner and they finally agreed to send her a new one that has worked fine ever since - I think it depends on how you handle the CS rep in many instances - and how their day is going! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

madzonie1303068342.514956 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007
On 4/17/2011 sweetmormor said:

I can understand how frustrating problems can be with anything and the Keurig is no exception! But, I have had one of the original "louder" models for almost 3 years without incidence - still going strong! I have looked at the Breville model out there and if I ever have to replace my Keurig I will consider it but I would have to really save my pennies for that one! Anyhow, my friend had a problem with her Keurig that was almost 2 years old and after the offer from Keurig CS to give her a discount on a new one (since it had been that long) - she pressed on further with them in a "sweet" manner and they finally agreed to send her a new one that has worked fine ever since - I think it depends on how you handle the CS rep in many instances - and how their day is going! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Hi Sweet - from much of what I've read over the past 2 years about Keurig brewer problems, it seems the bulk of them started when they introduced the "quiet brew" technology.

I think I'd prefer the "noisy brew" over the multitude of problems (and COST!) the upgrade presented! Smile

Foodie 71303072311.91740 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006
On 4/17/2011 neeliec said:
On 4/17/2011 sweetmormor said:

Hi Sweet - from much of what I've read over the past 2 years about Keurig brewer problems, it seems the bulk of them started when they introduced the "quiet brew" technology.

I think I'd prefer the "noisy brew" over the multitude of problems (and COST!) the upgrade presented! Smile

neeliec and sweetmormor,

It's possible that Keurig has had more problems since they introduced the quiet brew technology, but the problem I described in the original post here was with the "noisy brew" model. I've had it 3 years and 1 month. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the Keurig CS rep did acknowledge a quality control problem a year ago Christmas but said that had been solved. I'm trusting that is the case.

Yes I know that people still post about problems, but given the number of these units sold, the number of people reporting problems are relatively few. How many have been sold you ask? As a public company, Green Mountain Coffee Roasters must provide Keurig sales figures when it reports earnings each quarter. I couldn't find the latest figures, but through December 31, 2009, over 5.5 million Keurig coffee makers have been sold, about 90% of which were purchased by consumers for home use. That's one heckuva lot of Keurigs out there. Of course if you're one of those whose had problems you don't care how many people haven't, but this figure does put the number of problems people are resporting on QVC into perspective and to me does not suggest that Keurigs are problem machines.

As for replacing a Keurig with a Breville or other model that uses K-Cups, I'm not sure that would improve the situation if one has had previously problems. I'm guessing that the brewing techology is licensed by Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (which owns Keurig) and thus the "guts" of the machine are the same. The only things different are probably the cosmetics, i.e. the outer appearance and perhaps a feature or two that do not reflect the actual brewing technology - which is where the problems are.

So Keurig first offered your friend a discount and later offered her a free machine?! Maybe I "bit" too soon and accepted that discount offer instead of waiting to see if I'd be offered a free machine.

Page 1 of 1