TSV(R) Preview
133 Members and 11502 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

WILD CAUGHT CORVINA FILET?????

Started 1302027158.677 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1302114967.653 by Talisin
replies

I found this at my local supper market last week. It is fresh caught,not previously frozen as some are.

Never heard of this fish before.

Main reason i did buy was it is wild caught not farm raised. Did say product from Costa-Rica. The young man behind the counter said it is a mild fish,and had eaten it before.

He did not have an nutritional info on it which i like to have.

Did do a search,and found some nutrional facts on Corvina fish. What i don't like is the amount of sodium it has. Went by serving size 1 order???

I have not idea what one order is??

Well the amount of sodium it say's is 1225mg. That really scares me as i know that sound like a lot of sodium for one serving.

Also the cholestrol is 63mg,and carbs is 47g.

I did compare it to Turbot which i really love. I thought that the cholesterol was high on this fish,but only said 34mg for 55grams.

Unfortunately it does come in previously frozen so i have to use it within a day or two.

I can't always find it this time of year.

Would appreciate any input on the Corvina,and some recipes simple please,and not spicy.

Just hope someone has eaten this,and can help???

Thanks,lovestodance

Page 1 of 1
bobhurley1302032259.92784 PostsRegistered 7/24/2005

Lovestodance: First of all, do not confuse the Corvina with the California corbina (I'm not pulling your leg).

Its hard to pin down information, because there are numerous types of fish all over the world called "Corvina." Some weigh four ounces; some weigh upwards of 200 lbs. Generally they are also called drumfish or croakers, depending on whether they make a drumming or croaking sound when their heads come out of the water (again, I'm not making this up).

They are NOT suitable for raw fish dishes (sushi; ceviche), because they are prone to have parasites. Cooking them destroys the parasites.

They are primarily a saltwater fish, which MAY be why their sodium content is so high. You can probably reduce the salt content by skinning them if you bought a whole fish.

Personally, I'm a minimalist cook when it comes to fish. I'd recommend sauteeing or grilling them, saucing them with garlic butter, and garnishing with lemon or lime slices.

lovestodan­ce1302036894.0434915 PostsRegistered 6/12/2006
On 4/5/2011 bobhurley said:

Lovestodance: First of all, do not confuse the Corvina with the California corbina (I'm not pulling your leg).

Its hard to pin down information, because there are numerous types of fish all over the world called "Corvina." Some weigh four ounces; some weigh upwards of 200 lbs. Generally they are also called drumfish or croakers, depending on whether they make a drumming or croaking sound when their heads come out of the water (again, I'm not making this up).

They are NOT suitable for raw fish dishes (sushi; ceviche), because they are prone to have parasites. Cooking them destroys the parasites.

They are primarily a saltwater fish, which MAY be why their sodium content is so high. You can probably reduce the salt content by skinning them if you bought a whole fish.

Personally, I'm a minimalist cook when it comes to fish. I'd recommend sauteeing or grilling them, saucing them with garlic butter, and garnishing with lemon or lime slices.

Thanks for the info on this. I am really confused as i never bought it,or ate it.

The one i bought was fillet,already sliced and portioned out.

Wish i had known the nutrition before buy it. However did not get any info from fish dept.

I guess baking in oven would not be a good thing in preparing it??

Am use to doing Salmon on my indoor grill. Or just baking Turbot,or flounder,sole etc.

Thanks for explaining this to me.

lovestodanceSmile

lovestodan­ce1302099876.9674915 PostsRegistered 6/12/2006

I did eat it last night. Preheated oven to 375 Washed,and dipped in milk,and rinsed. Sprinkled cooking wine,and white wine vinegar over each slice. I then used Mrs. Dash onion,and garlic. Baked for 30 min.

Not bad very mild,and fish on the bland side. Did not have any marinade to use.

Figured i use what i do for my other filet fishes.

depglass1302109226.12724103 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

How can there be carbs in fish?

sunshine451302109892.02741945 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

interesting.... this chart i found says corvina has 129 milligrams of salt.

http://www.chefs-resources.com/Corvina-Fish-Corvina-Culinary-Information

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Talisin1302114967.65272 PostsRegistered 2/5/2011

Carbs - maybe if its breaded??? hmmmmmm

Page 1 of 1