Better Than Black Friday
130 Members and 14563 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Older, China (plates, cups and saucers) rimmed in pure 22K gold

Started 1300657238.85 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1300898457.833 by suzieQ4me
replies

Ladies, this has been mentioned on this Forum before, but I cannot locate the thread, so I apologize for asking again.

My sister has some older place-settings that are rimmed in 22K pure gold (plates, cups and bowls). The name on them says "GoldenWare by Sebring, USA, Warranted 22K pure gold" and they have a patent # on them as well.

She does not want to go through Ebay, so what type of place, or website, would she go to perhaps sell these? Do most places that buy scrap gold also buy this type of gold? Any help would be appreciated, as she is in need of selling some items in order to de-clutter.

Thanks in advance for all answers!

Page 1 of 1
D Oro1300657744.584072 PostsRegistered 2/17/2011Knock Knock, USA

Have your sister check here Replacements. I believe they buy as well as sell china. I can't imagine that a gold buyer would have any interest in gold plated china. Now if the flatware was gold, that would be an entirely different matter. Good luck to your sister.

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
-- Coco Chanel

Life is too short to spend hoping that a perfectly arched eyebrow or hottest new lip shade will mask an ugly heart.---Kevin Aucoin

suzieQ4me1300657885.564690 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007

Thank you D Oro, that sounds like a good start for her. We both appreciate your kind reply!

Suzie

Snowpuppy1300668571.466629 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005Up North, MI

Try this and see if this is what you have:

http://www.sebringohiohistoricalsociety.org/SebringPotteryCompany.html

Replacements is a good place to research your pattern but I had better luck selling on eBay than I did to Replacements. I got better prices on the bay and all the profit was mine.

Sister Gol­den Hair1300668732.21314610 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008

I would find out the value and then take to an antique store to sell. There are many people who collect china.

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

suzieQ4me1300742527.084690 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007

Thank you, Snowpuppy, and thanks to Sister Golden Hair as well !! Both are excellent tips!

Sister Gol­den Hair1300758151.03314610 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008

suzie, I might mention one more thing, it is best to sell the china outright to the store and not let them put it on consignment. Have you seen the show "Pawn Stars"?

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

markswife1300761894.2271927 PostsRegistered 12/4/2007
On 3/20/2011 D Oro said:

Have your sister check here Replacements. I believe they buy as well as sell china. I can't imagine that a gold buyer would have any interest in gold plated china. Now if the flatware was gold, that would be an entirely different matter. Good luck to your sister.

I just wanted to add something about replacements.com. I didnt sell china, but sold some collectables to them , they were very fair in thier prices they gave me. and i didnt have to go thru all the hassle of e bay or the like. well worth it to me.

drizzellla1300762769.531552 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007
On 3/21/2011 markswife said:
On 3/20/2011 D Oro said:

I just wanted to add something about replacements.com. I didnt sell china, but sold some collectables to them , they were very fair in thier prices they gave me. and i didnt have to go thru all the hassle of e bay or the like. well worth it to me.

My girlfriend sold many of her collectable collections at Replacements also. Some pieces she was paid more than what she originally paid. She was very happy dealing with them.

I had sterling silverware that I was thinking of selling. Replacements was offering me about $1 - $2 a piece in perfect condition. And since most of the pieces went through the dishwasher and we polished several times none of the pieces had the high new look shine. So I don't know what I would have been paid - $.50 a piece? The traveling Gold Guys were offering me at least $40 a 5 piece place setting.

The gold trim would be too thin to remove from the dishes. Keep us posted what you decide. I have several sets of china and crystal that I have no room for. And would love to get rid of, but I hate the idea of packing them up and shipping them off only to have a few items break and then the sets would no longer be complete.

The bad news is Time Flies
The good news is You are the pilot.

suzieQ4me1300898457.834690 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007

Hey drizzella and all,

Yes, I agree, that it will be a lot of trouble for her to package everything up to mail off somewhere. I think she wants to get the items out of her way more than making money off them. I will tell her to take them to her local antique stores. Thanks again to all who answered !!

Page 1 of 1