TSV(R) Preview
159 Members and 11220 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Using loose tea in the K cup,,,,shhhhhhhhhhhh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Started 1298830228.5 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1299074142.837 by hungarian4

I don't have a Keurig and don't plan on buying the TSV (who drinks an 8 or 10oz cup of tea? I dring giant mugs, LOL) BUT,,,,,,

I bought one of the previous TSV's for my son and DIL and I have used theirs to make tea.

I heard the rep say not to use the K cup filter with loose tea.I've done this, it works fine, I have no idea what she is talking about. I've also used teabags in the My K cup, that works well too.

Page 1 of 1
bunkster1298830587.767823 PostsRegistered 4/20/2010

Thanks for saying this...I too was wondering what the difference was, as I've used loose tea in my coffee maker basket w/a filter in a pinch. Clearly not as good a cup as steeping, but who always has the time?

I'm also not a fan of the flavored teas so wish they'd give the option like they did with that one TSV of picking the flavors you want. I'd probably pick english breakfast (or I wish they'd have an earl grey or other non-sweet flavor) to choose from.

I agree...even my insulated mug I got from QVC for the car is 16 oz...geez.

ChoosandMa­nolos1298845192.245013 PostsRegistered 7/2/2006

I find that the water just goes through too fast and I can only get "tea water", not real tea. I like a bold cup, so I just make it the old fashioned way, a pot full in the a.m.

hellokitty1298847348.11588 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004The land of Hang on Sloopy

I heard that and said "what!?" One of the reasons we bought our Keurig a couple of years ago was to use loose Tea in our my K cup. No problems. We also use the regular tea bags and just let the hot water go into the cup and let the bag steep...kind of the old fashioned way. We have also put our tea bag where you put the K cup and the tea is just so so that way.

QVCOldTimer1298848177.02647 PostsRegistered 5/19/2008

Thanks, Idacat! I love tea cups for my Keurig, but they are getting expensive. I will

try the loose tea.

terrylyn1298926245.7779 PostsRegistered 11/20/2007

The best way to use this appliance for tea is just for the hot water. In about a minute and a half you have a piping hot cup of water just perfect for a tea bag or some of you favorite loose tea in a difuser. The water goes through the k-cup way too fast so putting tea in it will not deliver a strong enough beverage. I use mine at least 3 times a day. Much better than digging out the tea kettle for a single cup.

sunshine451298926461.0541947 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast
On 2/28/2011 terrylyn said:

The best way to use this appliance for tea is just for the hot water. In about a minute and a half you have a piping hot cup of water just perfect for a tea bag or some of you favorite loose tea in a difuser. The water goes through the k-cup way too fast so putting tea in it will not deliver a strong enough beverage. I use mine at least 3 times a day. Much better than digging out the tea kettle for a single cup.

my s/o likes his tea on the light side, so for him, filling up the my k cup with loose tea allows him to get light tea and two or three large mugs from one my k cup.

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Lynneuk1298943562.178256 PostsRegistered 11/3/2006

Tea needs to be made with boiling water.

The water in a keurig is nowhere near hot enough for a good cuppa!

belleandme1298944156.858644 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009southern illinois

can you switch back and forth from tea to coffee in the my K cup????

this is what has been holding me back from ordering this. my coffee machine is now taking about 20 minutes to brew, and i ran so much vinegar through it yesterday and i almost threw up on the porch......yuck!

thanks in advance!

belleancme

FOUR BLOOD MOONS~~john hagee

"...There will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars...Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near." Luke 21:25a, 28

Root Beer ­Kids1298944968.28351 PostsRegistered 12/22/2008

I have wondered the same thing. But if the water is going through loose tea too quickly to brew properly, wouldn't that be the same issue when it goes through the prepared tea capsules? It goes through at the same rate.

sunshine451298945204.59741947 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast
On 2/28/2011 Root Beer Kids said:

I have wondered the same thing. But if the water is going through loose tea too quickly to brew properly, wouldn't that be the same issue when it goes through the prepared tea capsules? It goes through at the same rate.

yes, it goes through just as quickly.

i think this is the main reason why i didnt like it for my coffee.... it is never strong enough for me....

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

kiddo1298947147.96710263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006
On 2/28/2011 belleandme said:

can you switch back and forth from tea to coffee in the my K cup????

this is what has been holding me back from ordering this. my coffee machine is now taking about 20 minutes to brew, and i ran so much vinegar through it yesterday and i almost threw up on the porch......yuck!

thanks in advance!

belleancme

As you know, the My K-Cup is empty.

Into the My K-Cup you put either your own loose coffee grounds. Or nothing at all.

The water is first heated inside the Keurig. Then it is sent downwards out of the Keurig and into the waiting empty drinking cup on the counter.

On its way from inside the Keurig to the waiting empty drinking cup on the counter is where you put either the K-Cup that is already provided filled by Keurig -- OR instead the My K-Cup which you've either filled with your own ground coffee or nothing at all.

Although some people may choose to fill THEIR "My K-Cup" with loose tea instead of loose coffee grounds, it doesn't matter.

EXCEPT the My K-Cup is ostensibly "supposed to" get all "gummied up" if you use loose tea in it instead of loose coffee grounds.

So, the answer to your question ultimate is that it just doesn't matter. In other words, there's no "switching" on the Keurig machine, itself -- no actual switch or level to indicate to the Keurig machine that you want to use it for coffee.. or for using tea.

Bottom line -- it does not matter at all for whether you're using it to make tea OR you're using it to make coffee.

The difference for the Sunday TSV Keurig is that it comes with your choice of primarily pre-made Kuerig K-Cups that have coffee grounds in them OR primarily pre-made Keurig K-Cups that have teabag contents in them.

Me? If I wanted to make a cup of tea using my Keurig, I'd just put an empty K-Cup in the place I'd put it if I had filled it with my own coffee grounds. And hit the button to make it run as if my My K-Cup had something in it. This way, I'd be making just a cup of hot water down into my waiting drinking mug on the counter.

I would, of course, need to thoroughly clean my My K-Cup so it did not have any "residue" from coffee that I may have already used that My K-Cup. Just so that the clear water I was running from the Keurig would not have any taste of coffee in it.

Hope that helps?

{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Be kind; Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
----
Invite Jesus to POSSESS your heart. (And your mind, your thoughts, your actions, your words, your dreams, your plans.)

kiddo1298947252.37310263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006
On 2/28/2011 sunshine45 said:
On 2/28/2011 Root Beer Kids said:

yes, it goes through just as quickly.

i think this is the main reason why i didnt like it for my coffee.... it is never strong enough for me....

Me, too. I like my coffee stronger than it's been made with my Keurig. I have the Model 60 with the 60-ounce side water reservoir.

Even though Keurig makes the water up to 192 degrees.

I think that probably I need to buy a different, and stronger, coffee. Right now, I've switched from Folger's Medium to MJB Hawaiian Blend Medium.

I'm looking for cans of coffee in the grocery store that are labeled as "strong" instead of "medium."

Be kind; Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
----
Invite Jesus to POSSESS your heart. (And your mind, your thoughts, your actions, your words, your dreams, your plans.)

violann1298992882.1312724 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004

If I'm in the mood for a giant mug I just brew through the Keurig twice. My Keurig makes extra hot beverages and heats very quickly, so the first part of the mug doesn't have time to get cold before the second one goes in. Love my Keurig!

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

Sooner1299004506.25715185 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I am a tea lover and have a lot of loose teas that I brew. I find the Keurig does a fine job if I put a tea filter in my cup or run the water into a small pot with loose tea in it either loose or in a filter. The water is hot enough for a good cup. Sometimes if I'm in a hurry I'll use a tea bag but the loose leaves are always better.'

Tea needs time to brew and space for the leaves to unfurl (loose teas) to develop any real flavor and the body of the tea. The water temperature of the Keurig is close enough to boiling to make a nice cup. A bag is a bag and even with better brands of tea, is still a bag. But to me it is far better than anything I've found in a k-cup. Better AND cheaper!

debc1299072612.822746 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009

The solofill does a pretty good job on tea. I find that if I do 2 of the smallest cups it extracts more tea.

Cheese with that whine?

hungarian41299074142.8371423 PostsRegistered 8/28/2010

yes !!!!!!

Page 1 of 1