TSV(R) Preview
111 Members and 9488 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Vitamix vs Ninja Professional Blender (last TSV)

Started 1294804026.103 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1294890634.857 by winocat

Can anyone that has used BOTH items tell me which one they prefer and why? I searched for recent threads/updates from the people that returned/cxld their Vitamix blenders in favor of the recent Ninja TSV but didn't find much so here I am.

I have the Vitamix and it's nice but really - not sure it's worth the $400 price tag for my purposes (fruit/veggie smoothies and crushed ice/drinks). I'm all for good quality kitchen items and the Vitamix is great but...is it really worth it? TIA !

Page 1 of 1
irsheyes451294806363.697190 PostsRegistered 10/22/2004Florida

Hi, winocat. Well, I received the Ninja last week, and I also own the Vitamix, but I too was torn as to which one would be best for me and my minimal uses as I'm having a hard time justifying the $400 price tag of the Vitamix. The first thing I did was make a smoothie. Before getting my VM, I used the Chris Freytag personal blender everyday to make them and always had a bunch of strawberry seeds in my last swallow. I hated that, but I thought that was just normal. Then, I made one with my Vitamix and the difference is unbelievable. I remember taking my last gulp and all of a sudden I thought 'wait a minute, there's no seeds!!!'. When I made a smoothie with the Ninja, I had the same thing as with the Freytag blender -SEEDS!! I tried to chop an onion in the Ninja tonight and all it did was sling the pieces up against the side of the container after a coarse chop, making it impossible to get it more finely chopped than it was at that point. Now, I have to say, I was not real happy with the way the VM chopped an onion either as there is too much water in an onion and it seemed to 'fray' it rather than chop it. I have made soup in my VM which I loved, but only did this a few times and I've had it for months now. I am really considering sending my Ninja back as I have other utensils to chop and dice including a food processor, but after seeing the seeds remaining in my smoothie and the onion not chopping up very small, I can't see it doing something different than other things I already have. I do have to say though, that the VM makes an absoluty 'smooth smoothie', and the soup is delicious. I'm spoiled with no seeds in my smoothies now, and considering how long the machine will last, it's almost worth it. Also, the VM has a really heavy duty three prong cord, whereas the Ninja just has a typical lightweight cord which might speak to the longevity or 'not so heavy duty' nature of the Ninja. I think if I seriously used the cookbook that comes with the VM and tried to get some more use out of it, you'd have to pry if from my hands. I'm thinking of making hummus, frozen yogurts and also peanut butter. I'm still on the fence, but I'm a very indecisive person, which I HATE, but that's just me. I tend to agonize over decisions between colors, brands, you name it, I agonize over it. People on the the forums say that if you use it almost everyday, it is totally worth the price and more, I just don't use it very often and that's my dilemna. I hope I've helped you a little bit, but in my honest opinion, the Ninja just seems like a regular blender with a multiple blade, whereas the VM just wreaks quality and heavy duty which translates into longevity IMO. Now I'm wondering if there are any other lower priced blenders out there with a blade similar to the VM that would pulverize small seeds like the VM but not cost as much. As you can see, I'm still trying to justify the cost of the VM before my extended holiday return time is up {#emotions_dlg.crying} Good luck with your decision :)

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is God's gift, that's why we call it the 'present'.

Dear Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth...Amen.

winocat1294808417.7079133 PostsRegistered 4/24/2008No. California

Thank you Irsheyes - that was a very nice and informative post. ITA that the Vitamix makes one heck of a smooth smoothie! It did an excellent job today with the pineapple core, too! I'll never use it (never say never, right?) for chopping so that part is ok. I've made a couple of soups in it and they were great, too (not to mention the quickest thing ever!). I have a Turbo Chopper that I have used for years to make smoothies and a juicer...and an ice cream maker...and an ice chopper...LOL So I could dump all of those items but I'm still on the fence ...I know it's going to last forever but it's still pricey. I guess I was hoping that the new Ninja (I have the original and I love it) would do everything as well for 1/4 of the price. Probably not a reasonable request...and oddly enough, I'm definitely not a fence sitter. Until now.

Good luck with your decision - maybe others will weigh in on this decision to help sway us!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

debc1294839857.3372744 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009

Well my opinion is you get what you pay for. I have no doubt that the vitamix will be going strong long after the ninja has quit working. It's warrented for 5 years so that's a hundred dollars a year. I have a ninja prep and I love it, I use it for the chopping etc.

Cheese with that whine?

gloriajean1294840552.812267 PostsRegistered 12/31/2006MN

It used to be when canning tomatoes, that I would boil them, take off the skins, and put them in a colander to stomp into juice to get rid of the seeds. Now with my Vita-Mix, I make my spagetti sauce by putting the tomatoes in the Vita-Mix, it pulverizes the seeds and skins, and all I have to do is put in the kettle and put in the ingredients for the sauce. Saves a whole lot of work and mess. I love the soups, I love it for alot of things!

It was a family birthday present for me!

Your life is God's gift to you
The way you live it is your gift to God

“Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing.”

― Mother Teresa

4uthebest1294843589.6633527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

For those interested, there is a technique to chopping onions that I have used for decades now with my VM and that is to cut the onion into quarters and with the VM running at speed 2-3, drop them all in at once and it will chop nicely.

I STRONGLY suggest that before you decide to return your VM that you watch all of the demos on this site both page 1 and 2 and that will give you a better idea of the capablities of this powerful machine that set it apart from any other and is the choice of professional chefs worldwide.

http://community.vitamix.com/service/searchEverything.kickAction?keywords=feat&as=22442&sortType=popular

The Vitamix is far more than a smoothie maker and if used properly will make so many tasks easier..

Last edited on 1/12/2011

Last edited on 1/12/2011

winocat1294854584.579133 PostsRegistered 4/24/2008No. California

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm still looking for someone that has tried BOTH items for a true comparison.

I don't care about the VM warranty and I prefer soup made a different way. I've watched most of the demos and the CD so I'm clear on what VM can do but it's the Ninja Pro that I haven't used (altho I do have the original one - which I understand doesn't come close in comparison...hence my post). In terms of cooking ability/experience - I would rank pretty close to expert and I still don't consider the VM the "HG" of all appliances. But it's good. Really good.

ETA - Just to be clear in case anyone is considering the VM - it truly is a great item and I would recommend it hands down for a family of smoothie drinkers!

Last edited on 1/12/2011

Last edited on 1/12/2011

4uthebest1294857836.1533527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

I have both Ninjas and the VM and a Cuisinart and KA Mixer that I leave out and to be honest, I find I am rarely using the Ninja's for anything. Last time I did I was making pancake batter and after doing it in the Ninja, I said to myself that I will use the VM for that from now on.

The only clear advantage the Ninja has over the VM IMHO is the ability to make snow from ice cubes and although I bought an icemaker so that I can use RO water, I rarely ever make the snow.

I think for smaller families, the Ninja is fine but I would not want to try to knead 7 cups of flour in it as I do with my Cuisinart and it certainly has ZERO ability to shred & slice.

I am probably of the old school that something can be a jack of all trades but a master of none (Ninja is exception to this as it is master of snow making).

Sooner1294859173.4415184 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 1/12/2011 4uthebest said:

I have both Ninjas and the VM and a Cuisinart and KA Mixer that I leave out and to be honest, I find I am rarely using the Ninja's for anything. Last time I did I was making pancake batter and after doing it in the Ninja, I said to myself that I will use the VM for that from now on.

The only clear advantage the Ninja has over the VM IMHO is the ability to make snow from ice cubes and although I bought an icemaker so that I can use RO water, I rarely ever make the snow.

I think for smaller families, the Ninja is fine but I would not want to try to knead 7 cups of flour in it as I do with my Cuisinart and it certainly has ZERO ability to shred & slice.

I am probably of the old school that something can be a jack of all trades but a master of none (Ninja is exception to this as it is master of snow making).

I have a KA mixer, a Cuisinart food processor and more than one bread machine and I wouldn't think about kneading bread in my VitaMix. I don't think it would do a great job of that, but have never tried it. I'm with "4" above--the mixer or the bread machine I have are far more suited to that task. Bread is never an exact thing and you need to look at it, add more water, add more flour, etc. according to the weather, the flour, and other factors.

I don't understand why anyone would want a Ninja over a VM unless it would be because of price. The VM is a well-built machine, made in the US and with an incredible warranty and company behind them. I don't get what the Ninja will do that the VM won't. I use mine for smoothies, for making "ice cream" concoctions, for nut butters, drinks, and occasionally soup--although I usually heat the rough chopped veggies in the microwave first just because it is easy and I think tastes better. We get lots more veggies and fruit in our diets by using it. But you have to USE it to do that. . .

We've had a lot of blenders over the years both cheap and very expensive. I would not in any way compare the VM to a regular blender. I never had one that would do what this machine does. I would hate to be without my mixer, my food processor OR my Vita Mix. With those, I can do about anything. Well, plus a great sharp set of knives that would be my first thing on the list of "can't live without in the kitchen!"

winocat1294867711.5839133 PostsRegistered 4/24/2008No. California

Thanks 4uthbest (cute nic) and Sooner - both excellent replies!

It is absolutely because of the price - $400 vs $80 (approx). I agree that the VM certainly has a place in the kitchen and if the economy were better, I wouldn't hesitate to keep it. But now I have to really weigh all of my options and make sure I spend my money wisely.

I really only want it for veggie and fruit smoothies and if the latest Ninja can handle those two issues then it's a no brainer decision for me (I have a Cuisinart and a KA for the other chores).

I love the original Ninja and threw away my old blender during the first week of Ninja use. But, as Irsheyes said, the Ninja doesn't deal with seeds, etc. But it does make a heck of a snow cone and works FAR better than the Margaritaville I have sitting in the corner in the summer. On the other side, the VM makes the best whole fruit margarita I've ever had....LOL

Anyone else have both the new Ninja and Vitamix...? Or does anyone want to buy a Margaritaville???? LOL

rambocat1294868299.4733976 PostsRegistered 1/16/2008

I've had my VM for 20 yrs. and use it about 5 or 6 times a week. Check back in 20 yrs and let us know how the Ninja is doing.Smile

what a long strange trip it's been

winocat1294875906.2879133 PostsRegistered 4/24/2008No. California

LOL - so true Rambocat. But with the price difference, I can buy the "next latest thing"...several times over. So the warranty is absolutely not a selling point for me. :)

winocat1294876552.4579133 PostsRegistered 4/24/2008No. California

Still looking for all those people that said they were returning their VMs and ordering the latest Ninja....how is it working for you?

(For the people that haven't tried a Ninja - don't knock it because it really is a great item)

cassiesmom1294881203.7832214 PostsRegistered 12/27/2008So Cal

Hi

I rarely post here but do read every so often. I will step in and say that I did have the Ninja Prep System which lasted about 5 days before the gears seem to disengage with the blades...motor worked but blades did not move. When it worked it was great for smoothies which is all I had a chance to try. I had even bought one for my daughter but had not yet given it to her. I am so glad, because they both went back and I bought a Vitamix which I LOVE, LOVE, Love! All I can say is if you can afford it go with the Vitamix. I did buy the smaller container also so it sits out on my counter and fits under the cabinets. I was very lucky that my Costco is doing Vitamix demos this week so I was able to march in and grab one. I think for every person who loves/hates the Ninja there is another one with an entirely different opinion.

winocat1294890634.8579133 PostsRegistered 4/24/2008No. California

Thanks Cassiesmom - sorry to hear you had trouble with your Ninja and glad you were able to return it! That's awful! ITA that Vitamix is the way to go if money isn't an issue.

Page 1 of 1