Creede Silver Sale
15 Members and 13092 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Can evaporated milk be used to make mashed potatoes?

Started 1293922819.36 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1294855149.9 by jmgern

Can milk made from evaporated milk be used to make mashed potatoes? Yes, I know this is not ideal Actual milk has got to be better!!

However.........In a pinch, would this be okay? Has anyone tried this? Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year to all!!! Kiss

Page 1 of 2
chickenbutt1293923181.22723965 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

It's probably fine. I don't use ANY milk in my mashed potatoes, but I think I'm in the minority. I use a lot of butter, sometimes some grated hard cheese like parm, romano, asiago, etc, and s&p. That's it. Then hand-mash the whole thing and they are lovely. :)

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

shopandgo1293923384.363438 PostsRegistered 12/15/2009

It will be fine, it will make them very creamy.

• 2 pounds potatoes
  • 1 cup NESTLE® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. PLACE potatoes in large saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender; drain.
  2. RETURN potatoes to saucepan; add evaporated milk and butter. Beat with hand-held mixer until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

NYC Susan1293924765.8074580 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007New York City and East Hampton, NY
On 1/1/2011 shopandgo said:

• 2 pounds potatoes

Directions

1. PLACE potatoes in large saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender; drain.
  2. RETURN potatoes to saucepan; add evaporated milk and butter. Beat with hand-held mixer until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

Creamy is good, right? {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Thank you!!

HowsYerMom­maAnEm1293925433.05561 PostsRegistered 8/10/2010Memphis by Way of Tupelo

I always use heavy cream when I make mashed or whipped potatoes, but if I don't happen to have any on hand, I substitute evaporated milk. They taste delicious.

Th'nk Ya, Th'nk Ya Ver Much,,,

NYC Susan1293926523.7574580 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007New York City and East Hampton, NY

• 2 pounds potatoes

Directions

In this recipe, do they mean prepared evaporated milk? They're not talking about just tossing the powder in, right?

(I am nominating my question - even though I think I know the answer - as dumbest post of the year. I assume there aren't too many contenders for that title yet!) Kiss

AnikaBrodie1293926956.8915177 PostsRegistered 1/29/2008The NE state of mountains and valleys

Yes, but I would dilute it using apx. 1/2 cup evap. milk and 1/4 cup water. Also add butter and salt/pepper.

~~~The Silver Fox ~~~
“... We don't meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our path for a reason..." (Anonymous)

NYC Susan1293927849.4134580 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007New York City and East Hampton, NY
On 1/1/2011 AnikaBrodie said:

Yes, but I would dilute it using apx. 1/2 cup evap. milk and 1/4 cup water. Also add butter and salt/pepper.

Just curious.......Why would you dilute it?

Thanks! Kiss

crabatha1293928383.54789 PostsRegistered 7/13/2010
On 1/1/2011 DebbieInNJ said:
<br />

In this recipe, do they mean prepared evaporated milk? They're not talking about just tossing the powder in, right?

(I am nominating my question - even though I think I know the answer - as dumbest post of the year. I assume there aren't too many contenders for that title yet!) Kiss

If you're asking if your original question was dumb, IMO it's brilliant!

I was organizing my pantry last week, and saw that I have about 5 cans of evaporated milk in there. I have no idea how that happened, and was wondering what the heck I was going to do with it all.

Now, I know, so thank you! Mashed potatoes it is!

NYC Susan1293929148.084580 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007New York City and East Hampton, NY
On 1/1/2011 crabatha said:
<br />

If you're asking if your original question was dumb, IMO it's brilliant!

I was organizing my pantry last week, and saw that I have about 5 cans of evaporated milk in there. I have no idea how that happened, and was wondering what the heck I was going to do with it all.

Now, I know, so thank you! Mashed potatoes it is!

Haha! Thank you! That's the first time I've been called brilliant this year! (Maybe the last time too, so I cherish it.) {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

I actually was referring to my follow-up question re mixing evaporated milk powder with water vs. just tossing in the powder. And your reply reminded me that evaporated milk comes in cans as well as powder form. A win-win!!

Thank you!!! Kiss

nascar fan1293930046.1231038 PostsRegistered 1/25/2005

canned milk is about all my mom ever used!!! and she didnt dilute it in cooking. she did dilule it if she was making me drink it!! nascar fan

Baxjaxmom1293930717.9932508 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

<ul> <li class="plaincharacterwrap">2 pounds potatoes</li> <li class="plaincharacterwrap">1 cup NESTLE® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk</li> <li class="plaincharacterwrap">1/4 cup butter or margarine</li> <li class="plaincharacterwrap">salt and pepper to taste</li> </ul>
<h3>Directions</h3> <ol> <li>PLACE potatoes in large saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender; drain.</li> <li>RETURN potatoes to saucepan; add evaporated milk and butter. Beat with hand-held mixer until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.</li> </ol>

I guess I am learning something with this question and the answers. Is there such a thing as "powdered evaporated milk"? I have only ever seen "evaporated" milk in a can, i.e., Pet, Carnation, etc. which is a liquid and the processing of it which constitutes the "evaporated milk" is where much of the water is taken out of whole milk but the remainer is still in liquid form. The powdered milks I'm aware of are "Instant Non-Fat Milk" which have been dehydrated into powder and to make milk, it is reconstituted with water and depending on how one chooses to mix it, it can be the equivalent to whole milk or a totally non-fat milk, depending on the richness one wants. Was your original question referencing the "powdered" form of milk which you are referring to as evaporated milk? The more I've read the posts, the more confused I've gotten and am assuming there are products out there I know nothing about OR there is simply different terminology for these products which perhaps are "regional" as to the name of what it's called? I'm curious.

As to mashed potatoes, one can certainly use either the canned milk or mix the powdered milk with water and then add it to your potatoes just as if you were pouring it out of a carton. The canned evaporated milk has a very distinct and, and to me, a very peculiar flavor which some people (me included) do not care for. I don't drink whole milk so because whole or fresh milk goes bad on me before I can use it all, I always keep the non-fat powdered milk and mix just what I need for cooking or baking. I use it in mashed potatoes routinely if I don't have heavy cream.

Last edited on 1/1/2011

Last edited on 1/1/2011

auntiEM1293934558.28114 PostsRegistered 7/11/2010

I normally use 2% milk in my mashed potatoes, but I have on occasion used evaporated milk in my mashed potatoes and I'm always pleased with the results. They are always rich and tasty. I think it is a good idea to keep a can in the pantry for emergency use.

nutmeg31293935901.7334859 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ

This is a link to a food substitution chart or list. This list is usually found in the front and/ or back of a cookbook. http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--200/food-substitutions.asp

shopandgo1293984851.39438 PostsRegistered 12/15/2009

<ul> <li class="plaincharacterwrap">2 pounds potatoes</li> <li class="plaincharacterwrap">1 cup NESTLE® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk</li> <li class="plaincharacterwrap">1/4 cup butter or margarine</li> <li class="plaincharacterwrap">salt and pepper to taste</li> </ul>
<h3>Directions</h3> <ol> <li>PLACE potatoes in large saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender; drain.</li> <li>RETURN potatoes to saucepan; add evaporated milk and butter. Beat with hand-held mixer until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.</li> </ol>

Were you talking about POWERED MILK OR CANNED MILK? I have only seen evaporated milk in cans, liquid form. This recipe uses the liquid canned evaporated milk.

Idacat1293992790.4634707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!

My mother only ever used evaporated milk and the only reason I don't normally use it is that even a small can would go bad before used in my empty nest.

I also think there is confusion here about what evaporated milk is,it comes in cans and is NOT the same as dry or "instant" milk which is powdered.

I'm one of those people who will not use evaporated milk in anything (or sweetened condensed milk) because, in general it has a funky taste I cannot get beyond. The ONE exception to this is in mashed potatoes.

travelbug1293993065.55388 PostsRegistered 8/15/2007

Yes! My Mom only used evaporated milk in her mashed potatoes and now that's how I make them. It makes them creamy and delicious. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Be you to others kind & true as you would have others be to you.

violann1293999363.5912564 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004

Debbieinnj- You are getting 30 lashes with a wet noodle from me for thinking your question was dumb! If I had a dollar for every time I made a mistake because I was afraid to ask a "dumb" question, I'd be a rich woman!

Different kinds of milk are sometimes exchangeable for one another and sometimes not.

For example, I would not dilute evap milk, and other posters would. Takes all kinds!

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

ChefBlue1294431171.0639 PostsRegistered 1/5/2011

Definitely and in my family we use both regular and evaporated milk. Canned milk adds to richness along with butter. Yummie.

bozismydog1294678244.397723 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Richmond, VA - transplant from MA

I like using cream cheese in mashed potatoes.

Anniecamp1294678522.4573790 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I've used it in potatoes, as well as in anything I'd use milk in. I think the ratio is 1 part milk to 1 part water for canned milk to get regular milk. You can also use it straight from the can for potatoes.

Anniecamp1294678588.1733790 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Anybody else now craving mashed potatoes? I am.Smile

lork1294777511.347403 PostsRegistered 3/20/2009

I use the potato "water" and mix it with powdered dry milk. I figure I'm keeping some of the nutrients (from the potatoes), it's already hot, and the milk is non fat. Actually, all I do is beat the dry milk into the potatoes/water, along with some salt,pepper and butter.

ROMARY1294778081.1816484 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010
On 1/1/2011 nutmeg3 said:

This is a link to a food substitution chart or list. This list is usually found in the front and/ or back of a cookbook. http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--200/food-substitutions.asp

WOW........THIS IS A FABULOUS LINK...........I SIGNED UP FOR THEIR NEWSLETTERS! THANK YOU!! p.s. This is an excellent list of food substitutions. I emailed/forwarded several relatives and friends. Will print out for myself this afternoon.

Yellow Rose

Sealie1294798734.98103 PostsRegistered 2/11/2010

Yes, Yes, Yes...It's fabulous! It actually gives the mashed potatoes a little bit of a sweet taste. They come out so smooth and creamy. Add some butter and salt and you're in heaven. I think it's much better then using half and half or heavy cream. They leave a filmy taste on your tongue while the evaporated milk leaves you wanting more. Try it, you'll love it!

TX-starlig­ht1294803054.6074632 PostsRegistered 2/8/2010

I remember growing up,my Mom hardly ever used anything except evaporarted milk to make gravy. I can remember that little can so well. I would imagine mashed potatoes with e/milk would be great!

Page 1 of 2