Shoes & Handbags Offers
172 Members and 14406 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Thanksgiving Turkey in Masterbuilt Smokehouse

Started 1288825608.247 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1288972470.68 by HowsYerMommaAnEm
replies

Bought my husband the 4 rack electric smoker from Masterbuilt for his birthday. We'd like to try to cook our Thanksgiving turkey in it. For those that have done this before, what size bird did you use, and could you tell us the temperature and time you cooked it for? Thanks so much!!

Page 1 of 1
Nightowlz1288826425.599421 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Don't have that smoker. We have a regular smoker & always smoke the turkey breast. Here is a recipe from his site dadgumthatsgood site.

Smoked Turkey

Ingredients
10-14 lbs Turkey
1 tbsp Salt
2 tbsp Sugar
1 Apple (cored, peeled, and quartered)
2 medium Onion (quartered)
4 Celery stalks with leaves

Suggested wood for smoking
Hickory or Apple chips

Directions
Thaw turkey according to package directions if necessary. Remove giblets and neck. Rinse and pat dry. Sprinkle turkey cavity with salt. Combine sugar and salt in small bowl. Dredge apple in mixture. Stuff apple, onion and celery into cavity. Close with skewers. Tie ends of legs to tail with kitchen string. Lift wing tips up and over the back to tuck under. Preheat smoker to 225 degrees. Place turkey on grate and cook for about 8-12 hours or until inner thigh temperature reaches 180 degrees. Before serving, cover turkey and chill or let stand 20 minutes before carving.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

winocat1288826973.379133 PostsRegistered 4/24/2008No. California

You are really in for a treat! I used to make a great turkey in the oven but I only use my smoker now (it's great for chickens if you want to try it out now).

I had a 12-14 lb turkey and I cooked it at 225 for about 10 hrs (until internal temp reaches 180 in the dark meat).

I can also highly recommend smoking mac&cheese...and a ton of other stuff.

ENJOY!!!!!

Stpatten1288835707.97 PostsRegistered 11/2/2005

thanks to you both!!

HowsYerMom­maAnEm1288901293.833561 PostsRegistered 8/10/2010Memphis by Way of Tupelo

Hey nightowlz and winocat - Have either of you smoked a ham before? If so, what kind did you use? I've been reading a lot about the different types as well as brands, and think I'm more confused than I was before I started. I want to do a ham and a turkey in my 4 shelf Masterbuilt this year. Turkeys I've done and they are so good; I see them do the ham during the demonstation but they never tell you what it is.

Hope you can help me out.

Th'nk Ya, Th'nk Ya Ver Much,,,

Nightowlz1288909308.8639421 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

We smoke hams on our smoker (not Masterbuilt smoker). I buy the Cook's Butt brand. We put it in a tinfoil pan poke holes in the bottom so it can drain. If you let it set in the liquid it will be to salty. We put another pan under it with charcoal on both sides. We just let it smoke & 30 mins or so before it's down we score it & pour on some maple syrup. We also mixed up brown sugar, honey & mustard & put on it. We just made one a couple of weeks ago. It's really good. Here is a recipe from www.dadgumthatsgood.com

Maple Glazed Ham

Ingredients:
5-7 lbs Ham Shank or Butt (Fully cooked, bone in)
1 ½ cup Maple syrup
1 tsp Ginger
¼ tsp Nutmeg
½ tsp Allspice
16 whole Cloves
1 can Pineapple slices (canned)
1 jar Maraschino Cherries

Suggested wood chips for smoking:
Hickory or Mesquite chips

Directions
Remove thick skin and trim fat leaving no more than ½” thick covering on ham. Score ham. Combine syrup, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice in a small bowl. Place ham in large dish and baste with syrup mixture. Let ham stand in syrup mixture for 1 or 2 hours basting frequently until at room temperature. When ready to smoke remove ham from dish and stud with cloves. Place ham in preheated 225 degree smoker. Cook for about 2-3 hours. Baste with syrup mixture at least two times during cooking time. Before last hour of smoking decorate ham with canned pineapple and cherries and baste. Internal temperature of ham should be at 130 degrees to 140 degrees when heated thru.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

HowsYerMom­maAnEm1288972470.68561 PostsRegistered 8/10/2010Memphis by Way of Tupelo

Thanks nightowlz!! I knew it had to be something simple like that. I looked on the Smithfield website and they have so many different kinds. I wanted a whole, bone-in but there are several different kinds of them even. And then they talked about boiling it first, yadda, yadda, yadda. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

This has been a tremendous help to me. I do appreciate the info.

Th'nk Ya, Th'nk Ya Ver Much,,,

Page 1 of 1