TSV(R) Preview
132 Members and 11149 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Green Smoothie w/o so much SUGAR recipe for Vitamix?

Started 1287315794.607 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1287400142.173 by debc

Anyone have a good tasting green smoothie recipe for the Vitamix that does NOT have a ton of fresh sugary fruit in it?

I can take some bitterness, but am leery about all the sugar that fresh fruit adds,even if it is "natural"-your body can't tell the difference......

For instance...orange juice is pushed as "healthy" ,with no "added sugar" but the naturally occuring sugar makes the juice way too sugary for anyones health....

At 32 grams of sugar* for an 8 oz glass of orange juice, it's like eating 8 teaspoons of table sugar to an 8 oz glass of juice- nothing anyone would willingly do!!!!

*Table sugar is 4 grams per teaspoon....so ANY juice (or any product for that matter) out there-divide the sugar grams per serving by 4 and you can see how many teaspoons of sugar are in each serving...forget about cider, grape juice and cranberry juice!!!!!

****Check out your sugar bag for these facts...4 grams of sugar equals 1 teaspoon of sugar. Now go around and check out what you're eating for the sugar content per serving and see how much sugar you ate just for breakfast today if you had cereal, juice, coffee and a donut!!!! Sugar is listed on ALL food labels!!!

I ordered the Super 5200 from the Vitamix site and cant wait to get it.,,,,! Better warranty and extra dry blade container already included, but after seeing the demo at midnight, this TSV looks like a fantasitc deal too!!!!!!

Page 1 of 1
LaurieD1287319829.45765 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Long Island, NY
Green Smoothie
Green Smoothie image

The green smoothie is recommended as the “ blast of nutrition and energy that helps power me through the day.”

This delicious smoothie is low fat, low sodium, low cholesterol, heart healthy, gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, and raw!

Yeild: 4 servings

• 2 bananas
  • 3 oranges, peeled, quartered
  • 1 head romaine lettuce
  • 4 cups cold water

Directions
Place all ingredients in Vitamix container in order listed. Secure 2-part lid. Select VARIABLE, speed #1. Turn on machine and quickly increase speed to #10; then to HIGH. Run for 1 minute or until smooth.

Serve immediately.

disdatmac1287320863.2132540 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006New England USA

You can't compare whole fruit to fruit juice. whole fruit contains the fiber, juice does not. Add whole fruit to the smoothie.

:) debbie T

debc1287322353.8272743 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009
On 10/17/2010 disdatmac said:

You can't compare whole fruit to fruit juice. whole fruit contains the fiber, juice does not. Add whole fruit to the smoothie.

Agree~And you can't compare the sugar in fruit to processed sugar either.

Cheese with that whine?

yogachick1287323479.423466 PostsRegistered 4/19/2010

Here is a recipe that I drink at least 5 days per week.

One scoop of vanilla protein power (do not have to add but it makes it more filling and adds a ton of nutrients - can use whey protein, soy or whatever you like)

One small bananna or frozen bananna chunks

Large handful of organic spinach (no need to remove the stems)

Tablespoon of ground flax seed

Teaspoon of chia seeds (again, do not have to add)

One cup of lite plain or vanilla soy milk (can use Almond, dairy, etc.)

A few ice cubes if not using the frozen banana

Sprinkle of cinnamon

Blend and enjoy - it is really good and you can use fresh or frozen berries instead or with the banana

I really like making smoothies and I do not have a vitamix - would love one but my blender works fine on ice cubes and my crock pot makes my healthy soups!

:) Have a great day!

~Be the change you want to see in the world ~Gandhi

bigcatmama1287323665.1825 PostsRegistered 5/31/2008

Check out www.greensmoothiegirl.com for lots of ideas.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

bigcatmama

Tomgirl1287324110.63527 PostsRegistered 8/2/2009

Thanks to all of you! Great ideas.... I CANT WAIT to get mine home!!!!!!

Belle11287343875.545 PostsRegistered 10/17/2010

You going to LOVE your new Vita-mix! I got mine for my 51st birthday in June and have been using it everyday since.

For my daily green smoothies I've used Kale (very high in nutrients and very strong taste- slightly bitter), Spinach (good nutrients and you can't tell it's in the smoothie- hardly any taste) and Romaine lettuce (good nutrients and fresh flavor).

I tend to use spinach the most (with a bit of Kale added to it) and I find that I have to use less higher glycemic index fruits (I use mostly berries and a frozen banana which gives the smoothie a creamy texture).

The site one of the posters gave for greensmoothiegirl is a really good one! You can also check out books by Victoria Boutenko (Green for Life, Green Smoothie Revolution) are other great resources.

Keep us posted on how you are doing with the Vita-mix. It took me a few tries (slight learning curve but I was used to using my juicer for over 15 years) but I got it down and my creations out of our Vita-mix are wonderful- healthy, fast and satisfying. HTH! :-)

LaurieD1287352736.29365 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Long Island, NY

Found some recipes you might like here:

http://www.rawfamily.com/recipes

http://www.greendivamom.com/2008/12/14/12-great-tasting-green-smoothie-recipes/

Last edited on 10/17/2010

Last edited on 10/17/2010

Idacat1287358453.9674707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 10/17/2010 debc said:

Actually you can. All simple sugars are the same when it comes to their glycemic index.

only shops­ online1287384000.6375562 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006
On 10/17/2010 Idacat said:
On 10/17/2010 debc said:

Actually you can. All simple sugars are the same when it comes to their glycemic index.

I was on a fruit smoothie kick a couple of years ago. I thought I was making a wonderful addition to my breakfast. I mentioned it to my doctor, and she said that it was way too much sugar to be consuming. I ordered the Vitamix, but I think I'm going to stick to veggie blends. There are some really good recipes on the Vitamix website.

debc1287400142.1732743 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009
On 10/18/2010 only shops online said:
On 10/17/2010 Idacat said:
On 10/17/2010 debc said:

I was on a fruit smoothie kick a couple of years ago. I thought I was making a wonderful addition to my breakfast. I mentioned it to my doctor, and she said that it was way too much sugar to be consuming. I ordered the Vitamix, but I think I'm going to stick to veggie blends. There are some really good recipes on the Vitamix website.

Well it breaks down totally different in your system. You you should have a certain amount of fruits per day.

Cheese with that whine?

Page 1 of 1