Guaranteed Delivery
61 Members and 17686 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Anyone make donuts from Better Homes & Gardens recent magazine recipe?

Started 1283958580.56 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1284150878.61 by Sooner
replies

I saw this and wondered if anyone had tried this recipe. My mom used to make homemade donuts and they were good--and quick. She didn't have to let them rise or anything.

TIA!

Page 1 of 1
mallemo1283979879.8710083 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007Minnesota

What month's issue was it in?

gardenman1283982255.03717308 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

I didn't make those, but they inspired me to make my "normal" yeast raised donuts this past Sunday. I typically make those on Thanksgiving, New Years, Easter and the Fourth of July. This year I threw in Labor Day after seeing the BH&G donuts. (If it wasn't for the roughly million calories in them I'd make them every week, but I don't have a lot of self control around fresh, hot, homemade doughnuts so it's better I make them infrequently. The holiday timetable works well for me.)

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

tamigirl1283983335.64734 PostsRegistered 10/19/2006Palm Springs

I have that issue and those donuts look sooo good! Will have to try to make them.

SiameezeLo­ver!1284002120.9831848 PostsRegistered 5/5/2006Green Mountains :)

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/breads/best-doughnuts/ - has one recipe for doughnuts - from the September 2010 issue

Last edited on 9/8/2010

Last edited on 9/8/2010

new qvc qu­een1284009888.17394 PostsRegistered 8/6/2010Georgia

I did not see the issue and I'm sure mine are not as good as homemade but . . .my mother used to use canned(David's whamp'em) bisquits, deep fried. Very easy! I have a recipie for the glaze somehere if anyone wants it. They are good when hot but get soggy after sitting a while. I have her doughnut whole cutter I use. I'm not sure where you can get those at. Hers was very old. Making doughnuts was one of my daughter's fondest memories of my mother(Granny). A great fun kids recipie, minus the deep frying. Sprinkles, chocolate, calories, cinnamon, confection sugar, etc. yum, yum! Calories, Calories.

I also have a good funnel cake recipie I've been dying to try soon!

doglover31284149208.9279973 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I got this recipe here and is very good

Donut Muffins The Best

Posted By: Dianne
"Mini muffins that taste just like cinnamon sugar doughnut holes! The secret ingredient is nutmeg."

Ingredients ***SEE NOTE***AND:

1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup margarine, melted
1/4 to 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg(is strong of nutmeg so, judge for yourself, 1/2 teaspoon should be good)
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup margarine, melted
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F Grease 24 mini-muffin cups.
  2. Mix 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup margarine, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Stir in the milk, then mix in the baking powder and flour until just combined. Fill the prepared mini muffin cups about half full.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until the tops are lightly golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
  4. While muffins are baking, place 1/4 cup of melted margarine in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of sugar with the cinnamon. Remove muffins from their cups, dip each muffin in the melted margarine, and roll in the sugar-cinnamon mixture. Let cool and serve.
***NOTE***
I'm the submitter of this recipe and I'd like to add a few notes! First, the recipe should read "butter or margarine." Either one works great. Second, I finally found out from my mom, who got the recipe from my grandma, that this recipe makes 24 mini muffins. You fill the muffins cups 1/2 full with batter, and they should rise to just above top of the muffin tin. You can certainly also make 12 larger mini muffins if you wish, but "officially" this recipe makes 24. I think 12 has worked for me because my muffin tin is on the bigger side. Dianne
AND:
I just made these this morning! They were very good! I put in a little less than 1/2 tsp of nutmeg. I also coated mine in powdered sugar, vanilla glaze and a chocolate glaze. We all like the vanilla glaze best! Here is the recipe I used for my vanilla glaze 2 cups confectioners' sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract 1 TBS milk 1 TBS butter, softened Put that into a bowl and mix together. I added more milk, but I didn't measure. I just got it to the consistency I liked. Once I mixed it, I poured have of the glaze into another bowl and added 1 TBS cocoa powder and mixed. Then I dipped the muffins in the glazes and let dry. I double dipped them. Then on the vanilla glaze ones, I dipped some of the tops in the chocolate glaze. Also, glaze them once they have cooled. If you don't wait, they will fall apart. Posted by LISSALU

Sooner1284150878.6115618 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 9/8/2010 SiameezeLover! said:

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/breads/best-doughnuts/ - has one recipe for doughnuts - from the September 2010 issue

Last edited on 9/8/2010

That's it! I hoped someone had tried it. Maybe I'll do it this weekend!!! THANKS! It looks good doesn't it?

Page 1 of 1