Meant for Mom(SM)
143 Members and 13589 Guests Online

Judith Ripka

What's the difference gold plated vs. gold clad?

Started 1281095954.993 in Judith Ripka | Last reply 1281212512.84 by MaryAlice
replies

Gregg Ruth's piece state gold plated, for JR it is gold clad. What is the difference or is there a difference?

Page 1 of 1
kitty9871281105530.011980 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008

Same thing different word. I know there are a few processes used to plate things but it's basically all the same thing. Even vermeil.

fashionfav­es1281105598.563018 PostsRegistered 1/23/2005Just South of Sanity! ;)

Clad sounds better???? Not to me but just a thought.

"If you have not often felt the joy of doing a kind act, you have neglected much, and most of all yourself."
A Neilen

star8261281115688.36312382 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Coastal Ripkaland bordering Bixbyville and Dawkinstown

processes are different... thickness of the thin layer applied is different... If it's clad it is usually molecularly bonded to the sterling, however, when it comes to jewelry I saty clear of it... I don't want it to wear off down the road...

Still not sure if I would buy Ripka clad. Jury's still out... After a year or so if a Ripkanista has worn something clad on a regular basis and the gold clad hasn't worn off in anyway then I might try...

HTH St.LG,

~Star826*

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know PEACE" ~ Jimi Hendrix

A helpful decision maker: Ask yourself, "What would Cher do?"

AlexK1281117474.6532541 PostsRegistered 3/1/2010

clad is over a precious metal, like silver. Plated is over base metal.

Sweet Susie1281117670.152283 PostsRegistered 5/23/2007SW Florida

We don't know the difference between gold plating and gold clad because QVC is not telling us what their definitions are of each term. I'm sure their lawyers have told them not to reveal this information so that they cannot be sued for misrepresentation.

Anyway, I have a jewelry supply catalog, Rio Grande, that sells vermeil and heavy-plated sterling silver. They state in their catalog:

"True vermeil is defined by law as no less than 100 millionths (100 mils) of an inch of karat gold (no less than 10K purity) layered over sterling silver. In addition to vermeil, we offer heavy-plated sterling, a material that offers a 40-mil layer of 24K yellow gold over sterling. Vermeil is 50 times heavier than standard gold plating; heavy-plated sterling is 20 times heavier than standard plating". Rio Grande indicates that standard gold plating is 2 millionths of inch (2 mils) of gold.

I suspect that QVC's 'gold clad' corresponds to Rio Grande's heavy-plated sterling only using 14K or 18K gold instead of 24K gold. Otherwise, QVC would be yakking up on how wonderful their gold vermeil jewelry was and how many mils of gold are plated on the silver. I have heard the hosts use the words 'heavy gold plating' but NOT vermeil when describing the gold clad items.

Last edited on 8/6/2010

Last edited on 8/6/2010

Silver Lin­ing1281117982.323563 PostsRegistered 4/15/2010
On 8/6/2010 Sweet Susie said:

We don't know the difference between gold plating and gold clad because QVC is not telling us what their definitions are of each process. I'm sure their lawyers have told them not to reveal this information so that they cannot be sued for misrepresentation.

Anyway, I have a jewelry supply catalog, Rio Grande, that sells vermeil and heavy-plated sterling silver. They state in their catalog:

"True vermeil is defined by law as no less than 100 millionths (100 mils) of an inch of karat gold (no less than 10K purity) layered over sterling silver. In addition to vermeil, we offer heavy-plated sterling, a material that offers a 40-mil layer of 24K yellow gold over sterling. Vermeil is 50 times heavier than standard gold plating; heavy-plated sterling is 20 times heavier than standard plating". Rio Grande indicates that standard gold plating is 2 millionths of inch (2 mils) of gold.

I suspect that QVC's 'gold clad' corresponds to Rio Grande's heavy-plated sterling only using 14K or 18K gold instead of 24K gold. Otherwise, QVC would be yakking up on how wonderful their gold vermeil jewelry was and how many mils of gold are plated on the silver. I have heard the hosts use the words 'heavy gold plating' but NOT vermeil when describing the gold clad items.

Thank you so much for this detailed information! It is so helpful to know what you're getting for your money!

MaryAlice1281212512.84497 PostsRegistered 12/30/2005New York City

I don't think "clad" really has entered the jewelers' vernacular; it is more of a branding term. Although there is a term "karat clad" that refers to 100 mils molecularly bonded, as someone here has suggested previously. Mil is millionth of an inch, vermeil refers to 100 mil minimum thickness, micron is 40 mils (usually this is sold as "gold-plated," which can be over a base metal or not.)

Last edited on 8/7/2010

Last edited on 8/7/2010

Page 1 of 1