Give Gorgeous
133 Members and 13706 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

What's Going On with Nicky Butler Jewelry? OMG!

Started 1283804133.733 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1284054025.157 by barbados

I own a lot of Nicky Butler jewelry. I love the designs and the quality of the pieces.

I am watching HSN now and am SHOCKED at how much his jewelry is now being priced!

In the years I got my NB items (and it hasn't been that long ago), they were affordable. I have some nice pieces and they were within reason. Some, I spent a bit more on, but nothing like the $300 - 400 price tags I'm seeing today!

I know the price of silver may have gone up, but I think the prices they are asking for his pieces are outrageous! I'm looking at a gemstone pendant that is over $300. I see a very similar one in the QVC Artisan Crafted designs for under $60!

I'm just stunned at the mark up of his pieces. I used to be able to enjoy watching his shows, maybe finding a treasure that I could afford to buy. But now, it's way out of my league and it's not even fun watching because you know the items are not worth those pricetags.

I love his designs, but I will not over pay for his pieces. I've purchased Affinity diamonds on QVC, some really nice pieces in real diamonds, for much less than they are asking for Nicky's pieces today.

It's a shame. More people could experience his line if it weren't so "out of line."

Page 1 of 1
jugtown1283805855.61310308 PostsRegistered 3/28/2010

ITA - I started to watch, and turned it off. It turns ME off too! It is worth shoppin around - I've been goin over to Amazon too, and have found GREAT DEALS, and no tax or shipping! Yay!

In my life, I've loved them all...

GOLDEN KAR­EN1283809816.2732293 PostsRegistered 10/25/2007

You are right - a lot of the pieces are beyone my means. But, I sort of pick my "battles" on his pieces. I got the TS & the earrings to match as well as the 24" moonstone bead necklace to use with several of his crosses - it was around $50. That will probably the extent ot my purchases. I love all his pieces but a lot of his jewelry, like some of Heidi Daus's jewelry does not fit in with my lifestyle. So I just try to pick a few pieces here & there.

barbados1283809956.17714405 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007

He's frightening to look at and his prices are out of sight for silver. They're all too big of pieces and way too gaudy also. I can't believe people purchase this. But I guess it's all a matter of taste.

sparklingr­ivers1283818097.2411155 PostsRegistered 1/15/2009

I bought my first piece today. I bought the TS Cross necklace.

Issiestorm1283848323.5672762 PostsRegistered 9/5/2010

I totally hear you about Nicky Butler. I used to buy his pieces as well, and also give them away as gifts. I have several pairs of earrings and his spider pin and I guess that's all I'll ever have from him. There's no way I would or could pay those prices and I don't even enjoy watching his shows anymore. Now I think we're paying for his name because you're right, those type of pieces can be obtained for a lot less money in other venues, including QVC.

ReikiLady1283861632.447805 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004MA.

The prices are WAY up and the sizes are too! His pieces used to be so delicate and pretty. I think they have become a little too gaudy. So sad. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

ownsyjay1283876374.777422 PostsRegistered 5/11/2006

I actually liked what I saw, after not having watched his presentations for a long time. I have always thought his pieces were pricey--not necessarily overpriced for what they are, but not inexpensive enough to purchase casually. And I have to say that I have adored every piece I ever got, but always thought of them as statement pieces--you don't need to load up with lots of other jewelry when wearing one of his creations. I've also always thought that you have to see them presented to see their beauty--they do not show up well in still photos. Anyway, to each her own--I had a blast watching! I think his crosses are gorgeous, but I'm Jewish, so I just admire his artistry on those.

And as we in the South say, poor Nicky is a little odd-looking, bless his heart (I think they call that y'allbonics). But he can't help his looks. He does seem to be a kind person, and certainly very grateful for the opportunities that have come his way.

Shakeaway1283877242.83418 PostsRegistered 4/10/2009a horse farm in Delaware

Just asking but why do all the crosses have to be so big? Why can't they make nice little petite crosses? Years ago Suzanne Somers sold a very tiny plain cross that I bought in both white and yellow metals and I wore until the color wore off--I know I am not alone in not wanting to wear a cross that is so huge that I honestly feel uncomfortable wearing-yes they are beautiful and for the most part I do love Nicky's jewelry -as for others wearing them they do look beautiful on them just not me-

starsdanci­ng1283878346.972088 PostsRegistered 3/8/2006

I have seen some silver pieces from different vendors in the $600-$1,700 price range! HSN states they are not doing very many gold pieces due to the cost of gold. Then, they think the majority of their customers can afford $600-$1,700 for silver??

grannyjann­ie1283878831.318723 PostsRegistered 11/17/2006West of the Windy City

Yes, I agree with you. I, like many others here, used to purchase NB pieces. No longer. Too pricey for items set in silver, and mostly too large as well!

Hopeless Romantic :)

karenloves­jewelry1283914057.803272 PostsRegistered 6/18/2008

I can't believe that anyone would say anything mean about Nicky Butler. He is such a kind, gifted and awesome person. If you don't like his pieces blame the jewelry buyer. Nicky Butler has explained before that he brings/sends pieces in and the ones that the buyer likes are the ones that they produce. Usually the only time I buy his pieces are when they are on clearance because I live on a teacher's salary. I've bought some amazing pieces. And I think he is a very cute man. : ) You rock Nicky Butler!!!

starsdanci­ng1283918765.8672088 PostsRegistered 3/8/2006
On 9/7/2010 karenlovesjewelry said:

I can't believe that anyone would say anything mean about Nicky Butler. He is such a kind, gifted and awesome person. If you don't like his pieces blame the jewelry buyer. Nicky Butler has explained before that he brings/sends pieces in and the ones that the buyer likes are the ones that they produce. Usually the only time I buy his pieces are when they are on clearance because I live on a teacher's salary. I've bought some amazing pieces. And I think he is a very cute man. : ) You rock Nicky Butler!!!

I don't think posters are bashing Nicky. I think most posters know it is HSN that marks up all the silver jewelry. The vendors do not have a say in such things as prices, flex pays or shipping costs, or even what type of products they can bring in. That is all determined by HSN's management.

miser1283920501.397721 PostsRegistered 12/30/2007FL

Love NB crosses but are just too big for me. They are more like decorative pieces. I have a few of his rings and got that 2 stone malachite (spell?)

belleandme1283921354.6238644 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009southern illinois

his stuff is incredible in person and has a HUGE silver weight, but still--the prices seem to have gone up disproportionately high lately.

FOUR BLOOD MOONS~~john hagee

"...There will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars...Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near." Luke 21:25a, 28

FluoriteFa­iry1283960446.92396 PostsRegistered 2/26/2006
On 9/7/2010 karenlovesjewelry said:

I agree Nicky Butler is a sweetheart. His pieces can be expensive, but many of those are limited. And I think his jewelry is so different from things presented on QVC recently.

lucieinthe­sky1283991838.93494 PostsRegistered 3/15/2010Dallas, Tx

I like Nicky Butler -- he seems like a genuinely nice person. I just can't stand his jewelry. It is all very gaudy, in my opinion. Even if he had a piece for $1.00, I wouldn't buy it and I certainly wouldn't spend two, three, or four hundred dollars! Just unbelievable!!!{#emotions_dlg.scared}

life is like a snowstorm.....you'll meet a lot of flakes

Mathilde1283998769.321091 PostsRegistered 2/29/2008

Most of Nicky Butler's jewelry has LOTS of real gemstones in it as well as substantial silver. ITA that his prices have increased disproportionately, but I would much rather pay several hundred dollars for one of his pieces that for a sterling piece with no stones or faux stones.

His necklaces and crosses are gorgeous but not something that I could wear very much. I have several rings that I love, but some of his newer rings, though beautiful, are larger than I like.

He does seem like a really nice guy, and I enjoy watching him.

blahblahva­mpemerblah1284000888.716193 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I've found that virtually every channel/vendor that sells silver jewelry has dramatically increased the prices. Labor wouldn't be going up dramatically, most stone prices have fallen, and silver has been stable for quite a long time.

I guess they figure that if people won't be buying gold, they'll be buying silver regardless of the price. Me, I'm looking more and more at the secondary market.

Yeah, FINALLY!!!!! Run Trey, run!

Venezia1284004272.5132809 PostsRegistered 4/10/2007
On 9/6/2010 barbados said:

He's frightening to look at ...

Frightening? Oh, come on - that's a bit dramatic and unkind, isn't it? I doubt little children run away screaming at the sight of him.

His looks don't appeal to you? Okay. His jewelry doesn't appeal to you? Okay. No need to get so personal about his physical appearance though. JMO.

arrabella1284008825.2331387 PostsRegistered 1/25/2007So. Ca.

I have been collecting NB jewelry for years. I consider them statement pieces. Every time I wear one his pieces I never fail to get many compliments on them. However I do agree that the prices have gone way up so I’m glad I collected when they were more affordable. Another thing, you don’t see yourself coming and going as they are very unique.

Mathilde1284041567.8731091 PostsRegistered 2/29/2008

I wanted to add that I don't think his pieces have gone up any more than any other sterling silver designer. It's a sign of the times and very unfortunate for us.

azureblue1284052169.171031 PostsRegistered 11/25/2005East Coast

While I've just discovered NB's line, I will admit his prices are pretty high. Just picked up my first piece. They are still high but at least on clearance as I have yet to found a similar design like it. I hope these beauties {#emotions_dlg.tt1} are worth their asking price in person. Stay tuned....

azureblue

Last edited on 9/9/2010

Last edited on 9/9/2010

RLM's # 1 fan

barbados1284054025.15714405 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007
On 9/9/2010 azureblue said:

While I've just discovered NB's line, I will admit his prices are pretty high. Just picked up my first piece. They are still high but at least on clearance as I have yet to found a similar design like it. I hope these beauties {#emotions_dlg.tt1} are worth their asking price in person. Stay tuned....

azureblue

Last edited on 9/9/2010

Nice looking earrings. Wear them well.

Page 1 of 1