Maxi Dresses
161 Members and 11621 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

JTV Hosts

Started 1274542576.687 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1274588268.337 by AliJoi5

I really don't understand how they have every host with such terrible voices and some there for many years!! They do have some wonderful things, but I can't stand to listen and go to the computer.  With all the hosts out there, you would think they could find a few with some class and certainly better voices.

Page 1 of 1
Mochahoney1274543248.7871950 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007Mississippi

what exactly do you mean by "terrible voices"?  are you referring to the pitch of their voice? their accent?

Linus: I love mankind! It's people I can't stand!

Shelbelle1274543278.41732876 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I do find Misty Mills to be very well informed, and at least somewhat articulate. As for the rest of them, I do agree with your comments. Michelle Lau and Brian Hyder, both formerly of HSN fame are now at JTV. Love Miclelle Lau.

forrest1274543590.127773 PostsRegistered 11/23/2006Virginia

I'm referring to the fact that they scream and have high pitched voices, and generally are unattractive IMO. I watch for a few minutes and if there is anything of interest quickly go online.

manicshopp­er1274544123.4232818 PostsRegistered 10/21/2009Never Never Land

I agree  - some have a very high pitch, they do get loud. That has been their style since they started to air many years ago.  They do seem to be evolving some of late - by having some models, so we'll see what direction they continue to go. Maybe they don't have to pay them much because of their lack of TV voice and "appearance" and that helps keep their pricing low? Who knows. I don't buy because of the look of the host - I buy because I like something and I like to learn from them. I hit mute if I don't like the sound.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"

- Eleanor Roosevelt

AliJoi51274547888.282672 PostsRegistered 8/19/2009The Ocean State

"Dawn" drives me nuts.  That's all I'm gonna say!  I stopped watching when I learned the shows aren't live.  I felt misled!  lol

"When I'm playful, I use the meridians of longitude and parallels of latitude for a seine, and drag the Atlantic Ocean for whales. I scratch my head with the lightning and purr myself to sleep with the thunder." ~Mark Twain

miss_Moria1274547955.9935537 PostsRegistered 4/15/2009Somewhere between Shangri La and Heaven

I tend to agree and many times I find that it isn't the way they speak or anything but the fact that they seem to have a very "nasal" quality to their speech.  I have never liked a very nasal quality to any salesperson, one of the reasons I can't watch one of SNBCs popular hosts, Linn S, she has that same quality. 

JTV just hired some of the wonderful hosts from Gems TV and I am hoping they will work out but I honestly think they are a bit too high class for the JTV crew.  I don't mean that badly but its just an honest observation I am making from having watched Gems TV for the time it was on and there is a big difference in the quality of hosting from JTV to Gems. 

All we are is the result of what we have thought. Buddha

forrest1274553315.573773 PostsRegistered 11/23/2006Virginia

i just can't stand to listen and have told them that when I was reviewing a piece of jewelry.  Just can't understand why they don't respond to this, doesn't the management listen, or maybe they sound the same way.

manicshopp­er1274553454.042818 PostsRegistered 10/21/2009Never Never Land
On 5/22/2010 AliJoi5 said:

"Dawn" drives me nuts.  That's all I'm gonna say!  I stopped watching when I learned the shows aren't live.  I felt misled!  lol

Really? the shows are not live? I had no idea. I've been watching JTV for like 14 years. When did they start taping them?

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"

- Eleanor Roosevelt

AliJoi51274556398.642672 PostsRegistered 8/19/2009The Ocean State

Hi manic!  I can tell you this - I am not sure if every show is taped BUT on more than one occasion, I have seen a repeat.  The first time it happened, I couldn't believe it as I thought all shopping networks broadcasted live.  Maybe that's why they don't take calls?  Anyway, I'm not crazy about JTV's jewelry but I do like their loose stones so every now and then I'll still tune in.  Smile

"When I'm playful, I use the meridians of longitude and parallels of latitude for a seine, and drag the Atlantic Ocean for whales. I scratch my head with the lightning and purr myself to sleep with the thunder." ~Mark Twain

missyw11274558086.0431102 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

The hosts did not make the cut for HSN or the Q. shop NBC also has some pretty bad hosts. I think the most important things for a a host are having a pleasant voice and knowing the products.

Shelbelle1274559471.54732876 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I think JTV is live, never seen a repeat.

AliJoi51274562884.4472672 PostsRegistered 8/19/2009The Ocean State

I am 100% absolutely certain I have seen repeats on JTV, Shelbelle.  So it is not, or at least was not, always live.  Delusional, I am not!  Smile 

forrest1274563883.31773 PostsRegistered 11/23/2006Virginia

I always wondered why some of them are on so often- maybe it was a rerun, and now that I think about it same clothes.  Anyway, I think that they dragged the streets for all of them.

PinkyPetun­ia1274563911.1974427 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004NJ

I agree, the hosts are hard to take.  I don't know their individual names as I'm not a regular watcher but they often speak in a high pitched nasal voice running the words together.

What really gets me is their manicures.  They mostly wear very long fake-looking tips. Sometimes the tip is longer than the nail bed.   This went out of style at least 10 years ago.  It is bizarre to watch those spatula nails holding pieces of jewelry. 

forrest1274564142.167773 PostsRegistered 11/23/2006Virginia
On 5/22/2010 PinkyPetunia said:

I agree, the hosts are hard to take.  I don't know their individual names as I'm not a regular watcher but they often speak in a high pitched nasal voice running the words together.

What really gets me is their manicures.  They mostly wear very long fake-looking tips. Sometimes the tip is longer than the nail bed.   This went out of style at least 10 years ago.  It is bizarre to watch those spatula nails holding pieces of jewelry. 

Now that you mention it that really bugs me too.  Who owns that company and don't they care or maybe this what they want to get attention.

biancardi1274567547.7945340 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005
On 5/22/2010 forrest said:
On 5/22/2010 PinkyPetunia said:

Now that you mention it that really bugs me too.  Who owns that company and don't they care or maybe this what they want to get attention.

not only their manicures, but their hair - I haven't seen such processed hair since the 1980's.

Get another hobby as I am not yours.
“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”
-Douglas Adams

aubnwa011274568364.596619 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004Cortaro, AZ

I haven't watched in many years, since before they got a toll-free ordering number.   I remember one of the male hosts was showing a close-up of something & his hands looked like he'd just come in from cleaning fish or chopping wood!  His nails were dirty & his hands were all nicked & scratched up!  Big Yucko!

{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

"Always Be A Little Kinder Than Necessary"-James M. Barrie

lboone1274579001.7531127 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007Winterville, GA

I don't know if they tape all the shows, but they certainly tape some because I have seen repeats too.  I somehow got it in my head that they are live during some hours, and go to tape during the late night/early morning.  I don't know where I got that from, though.  I might have imagined it!  (But I didn't imagine watching the same show!)

Lisa

Lisa

"To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography and the dancers hit each other." -Jack Handey

AliJoi51274588268.3332672 PostsRegistered 8/19/2009The Ocean State

Thank YOU, Lisa!  You have confirmed my sanity (as it pertains to this topic anyway).  lol 

Page 1 of 1