TSV(R) Preview
126 Members and 13530 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

Anyone know how to use a fish-hook clasp?

Started 1274142277.217 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1274279850.773 by AliJoi5
replies

I have a jade bracelet that I NEVER wear because I can figure out how to use the clasp! J0233 is an example of what I mean. I would love to wear it, so any advice would be appreciated! ♥ ~ beagle

"Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant." - Unknown

Page 1 of 1
Brabls1274145783.7714740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

Squeeze the 2 sidesof the hook where the dent is & pull gently. The hook will be more exposed & you can unhook it.

Or go to a jewelry store & look at pearls.  Common clasp on pearls.  SA can show you.

To hook it, push the hook into the clasp.

AliJoi51274148066.1772672 PostsRegistered 8/19/2009The Ocean State

The picture on the top left is the lock portion of the clasp (A).  The picture on the top right is the hook portion of the clasp (B).  To close, hook part B around the tiny piece (edit "pice") of metal right at the opening of the lock part A.  It will then look like this:

See full size image

Then squeeze the teeth part of B and push it inside of part A until you hear a click.  It will then look like this:

The clasp is now closed.  To open it, do the reverse.

Brabls did a good job of explaining this but I thought pictures might help.  Not sure they will show on everyone's computer though!  Hope this helps, beagle.  Smile

Last edited on 5/17/2010

Last edited on 5/17/2010

"When I'm playful, I use the meridians of longitude and parallels of latitude for a seine, and drag the Atlantic Ocean for whales. I scratch my head with the lightning and purr myself to sleep with the thunder." ~Mark Twain

1beagleluv­er1274190688.027338 PostsRegistered 12/12/2006

Thanks Ladies! That does help. The pictures are certainly a plus. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

lilybrini1274199790.5956 PostsRegistered 9/19/2008

I'm so glad I was reading here today and saw this post/question.

I too have a necklace (pearl) that has this type of clasp on it - and although I always manage to somehow get it hooked + unhooked ... it usually takes me a couple of tries b/c I never really understood the inner workings of the clasp enough.

Thanks for posting the question ... and thanks to those who replied with the great pictures.  Seeing how the inside of this clasp latches makes total sense now,  and it's much easier to put my necklace on!

1beagleluv­er1274202700.34338 PostsRegistered 12/12/2006

I'm glad this post helped! I was considering taking it to a jeweler and having the clasp replaced. They really are difficult to maneuver.

AliJoi51274206838.852672 PostsRegistered 8/19/2009The Ocean State

So glad the pics helped!  First time I saw this clasp, I didn't know what to do with it!  Smile

"When I'm playful, I use the meridians of longitude and parallels of latitude for a seine, and drag the Atlantic Ocean for whales. I scratch my head with the lightning and purr myself to sleep with the thunder." ~Mark Twain

Cloud71274227033.7436501 PostsRegistered 12/29/2009

Hey, way to go Alijoi! You're the bomb! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I have a string of pearls with this type of closure, but I have rarely ever worn it, maybe once many years ago. It was an inherited piece.

I recently got a Chinese jade bead/peridot/pearl necklace from QVC on clearance, and lo and behold, it has the fish hook clasp. At first I had forgotten how to unclasp/clasp it. Then I remembered my pearl necklace.

Had I not figured it out, this thread would have been very helpful and the pictures really would have made it so much easier than trying to tell how to work it.

"Ensembles are endless" Cloud 7

AliJoi51274279850.7732672 PostsRegistered 8/19/2009The Ocean State

Hi cloud!  {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}  I try, I try!  lol

Hope all is well with you hun!  Enjoy your day... Cool

Page 1 of 1