Just-Reduced Clearance
21 Members and 14215 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

enlarging wedding rings?

Started 1272050191.92 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1272574170.373 by Nightowlz

I have gained enough weight that my wedding rings are now uncomfortably tight.  As I am trying to lose the weight I am also looking into having my wedding rings enlarged.  Is this possible?  Has anyone had it done?  We have a jeweler in the family who I will talk to about it but just wondering your experience. 

Page 1 of 1
FATCATinCT1272050430.4772657 PostsRegistered 11/18/2006

If they are simple bands it can be done.  My wedding ring has engraving all around and was told if I wanted it to be made larger, they would have to put a solid white gold piece in.  At that point I just bought myself an anniversary ring in the clearance section of my local jewelers.  At the price of gold at the moment, buying another ring just may be the cheaper way to go.

esmeraldag­ooch1272051087.0812338 PostsRegistered 1/7/2008Adopt a Rescue Pet, who rescues who?

Most wedding rings can be resized by a competent bench jeweler.  Even rings that have been soldered together can be resized.  Check around for pricing as you may find a wide range of priceing.  If the jeweler does the work in house it may be less expensive.  Be sure you can trust the person you are leaving them with.  Don't want your diamond changed out.

Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase.
Martin Luther King Jr.

beach-mom1272076461.929869 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Mid-Atlantic

When I was pregnant for the last time, I waited too long to get my ring off and they had to cut it off. Unfortunately they had to cut through the inscription too. I have resigned myself to the fact that my fingers will never be the size they were when I was married again, so I have to have both my wedding and engagement rings enlarged. We have a family friend who is a jeweler, so that is no problem. I just haven't gotten around to it!

oppia1272087782.633083 PostsRegistered 10/26/2004

I had my rings re-sized at the local jewelery shop for $100.  White gold,  stones in both

rings. HTH

glassbylin­da1272481805.313100 PostsRegistered 11/8/2007

I have a wedding band with baguette diamonds. Took it to a local jewelry store, they told me they could not, because if they opened up the band to make it bigger, the stones could come out....

I then went to Zales, the repair person said "no problem" part of their service is to check to make sure all the stones are tight.... cost me $50 for 2 sizes up in 14k gold.  That was less than a year ago....No problems with any of the stones. So if someone tells you NO, get another opinion.   Good luck!

chichimom1272482801.76314 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Panama City, FL

I just had my rings resized larger & there was no problem.  Mine were a 5 stone anniversary band & a solitaire with 2 stones on each side.  It was done at a jewler's in-house & cost me $100.00.  The jeweler did a great job. 

Pink Rose1272490884.22299 PostsRegistered 8/21/2006

I had my engagement ring and the jacket around it enlarged.  The jacket has 10 nice sized stones in it.  It fits perfectly.  The only thing I don't like it my engagement ring didn't stay as high as it was originally.  The jeweler said if he did anymore work on it, he wouldn't feel comfortable.  Since I trust him, I felt good with his decision.

Kitlynn1272493126.422566 PostsRegistered 1/4/2008Colorado

Depending on how much larger you need them made it can be done by just stretching them and that is not expensive at all. If you need them really enlarged then they have to cut and a piece added to them. The price for that usually runs around a $100.00 depending on the style of the rings. It is worth it though to be able to wear something you treasure.

You get one go round in this old world and you better make the most of it. It is not a dress rehearsal! Step out of your box and enjoy all that life has to offer!

depglass1272572570.2524408 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

STRETCHING???  Have you had this done to a gold or silver ring?  How do they do it, melt it slightly?  Sounds impossible.  Hope they aren't shaving off the inside, lol. 

Nightowlz1272574170.37310025 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Most rings can be resized. If it's a band or diamond wedding ring depending on how many sizes up it has to go they will add gold to the shank of the ring. If they don't do that the shank of the ring would be to thin. Gold prices today are expensive. When I worked at Zales they sent most items to a jeweler in town & when they got it back they charged 2 1/2 times what it cost them. I always go straight to him to save money. Look up jewelry repair in the yellow pages & find someone not a jewelry store & see what you can find out about them before taking your jewelry there. I know the guy here does good work since I worked at Zales & know they sent theirs to him. He has also been in business since the 80's. If you find out how long they have been in business that tells you something. If they did not do good work I don't think they would be around very long. You are going to pay more from a jewelry store.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

Page 1 of 1