Fashion Special Offers
88 Members and 13436 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

What will happen if the Bronzo Italia tarnishes???

Started 1342738663.96 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1343079134.737 by millieshops

I am quite intrigued by many of the pieces of Bronzo Italia. However, my concern is how will these pieces hold up over time? I know there is an ongoing, and confusing discussion as to what exactly the fabrication consists of - The hosts do say that the rose color (as shown by the demonstration of the sliced in half ring), is consistent throughout. But, what happens if the "bronze" tarnishes??? What cleaning product will restore it to its original rose color?? Will that even be possible?? I hope someone knows the answer to these questions, as I really do love so many of the pieces. Thank you!

Page 1 of 2
Jewelicious1342738813.49811 PostsRegistered 5/23/2012

They say that it is tarnish resistant as they are plating some kind of tarnish protector over the jewelry. Echo of the Dreamer also does this with her pieces. I have had her dragon cuff for over a year and it's in perfect brand new condition.

I ordered the Bronzo rectangular bangles and 2" hoops. I hope the plating process to prevent tarnish doesn't come off at some point, but I'm willing to take a chance with a couple of items. And it's Italian made and the Italians are among the best in jewelry manufacturing.

Last edited on 7/19/2012

Last edited on 7/19/2012

t2641342738985.99245 PostsRegistered 9/26/2010
One of the host (can't remember who) said that a polishing cloth is not needed. She said if there come a time where cleaning is necessary to use a soft cloth with plain water. Last edited on 7/19/2012

Last edited on 7/19/2012

champagnep­oodle1342739008.6434879 PostsRegistered 9/26/2011

I really don't think there is a bronze cleaner. Look at all the statues that are bronze. I never see them ever get polished

faeriemoon1342739060.955873 PostsRegistered 5/13/2005

With products that are plated to prevent tarnishing, I find it best to avoid buying rings. With all the hand washing and work we do with our hands, I think there is most wear and tear on rings. A necklace or earrings should be a safe bet for a first piece.

My dentist told me I need a crown. I was like, I KNOW, RIGHT!?! ~Pinterest~

depglass1342740742.82723462 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

A polishing cloth should not be used? That tells me this stuff just will not hold up. I don't like Epiphany because of the scratching problem, I certainly won't be happy with Bronzo.

D Oro1342741772.4074063 PostsRegistered 2/17/2011Knock Knock, USA

The host said a polishing cloth is not needed. If you choose to clean it, she said a soft cloth and water is all that is needed.

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
-- Coco Chanel

Life is too short to spend hoping that a perfectly arched eyebrow or hottest new lip shade will mask an ugly heart.---Kevin Aucoin

t2641342742032.317245 PostsRegistered 9/26/2010
On 7/19/2012 D Oro said:

The host said a polishing cloth is not needed. If you choose to clean it, she said a soft cloth and water is all that is needed.

Thanks D Oro worded my earlier reply wrong. My point was cleaning is easy. I reworded earlier post. Last edited on 7/19/2012

Last edited on 7/19/2012

ennui1342748307.81319957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007
On 7/19/2012 Jewelicious said:

They say that it is tarnish resistant as they are plating some kind of tarnish protector over the jewelry.

Ha. Robert Lee Morris is wiser -- he says to appreciate the patina. Wink

Copper oxidizes like crazy, and bronze contains copper.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

LipstickDi­va1342792272.9836997 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

I would definitely store this in an anti-tarnish box. And I would probably wipe it everytime before I put it in the box, just like I do with my other jewelry.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

millieshops1342793637.90314499 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 7/19/2012 depglass said:

A polishing cloth should not be used? That tells me this stuff just will not hold up. I don't like Epiphany because of the scratching problem, I certainly won't be happy with Bronzo.

depglass- I've worn a pair of Epiphany earrings for years now with no problems - to scratching and no tarnish. I like its color far better on me than I do silver, so they often go on when I need a white metal for some reason.

I'm on order for a pair of earrings from BI. It's a fairly inexpensive way to try the line and if I get anywhere near the wear from them that I've gotten from those Epiphany or a few other even less expensive gold hoops from the "I can afford that gold era" then I probably have earrings for every day of the rest of my life. And then I'll buy more anyway if I'm happy after I try these.

What I don't want to do is buy lots and lots of pieces before I try one from the collection.

lavenderju­nkie1342794058.16312812 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

The bottom line is we don't know.... no one has had these items long enough to have the experience. Despite what we are being told.... we don't know for sure and won't for months and months.

You can't assume or compare it to other metals/alloys. The exact composition of the alloy, the manufacturing process, and the coating used will all effect how well it wears.

I have vermeil items that are perfect after many years and others where the prongs have tarnished so badly the items are unwearable. That is just one example.

I hope the Bronzo Italia turns out to be great. I love the color and I purchased several items. I consider it fashion jewelry, but that doesn't mean that it's inexpensive. I want to see many years of beautiful jewelery when I take it out to wear.

colliegirls1342794156.745772 PostsRegistered 5/13/2012

I am not crazy about the "patina" on RLM brass items. It reminds me of the brass knick knacks I had decades ago. I have to shine it, will not purchase more for this reason.

Suer1342811668.75218 PostsRegistered 10/16/2010

Can someone tell me the composition of the plating material and if the Bronzo pieces are heavily plated? I have not heard these questions addressed on any of the presentations. I worry that the plate will wear off and you will have a tarnishing problem.

D Oro1342812140.34063 PostsRegistered 2/17/2011Knock Knock, USA
On 7/20/2012 Suer said:

Can someone tell me the composition of the plating material and if the Bronzo pieces are heavily plated? I have not heard these questions addressed on any of the presentations. I worry that the plate will wear off and you will have a tarnishing problem.

I don't believe the plating has been discussed in detail. If necessary, you could always take your piece to a local jeweler to have it re-plated. Hopefully that will never be necessary.

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
-- Coco Chanel

Life is too short to spend hoping that a perfectly arched eyebrow or hottest new lip shade will mask an ugly heart.---Kevin Aucoin

pinky171342819837.31356 PostsRegistered 11/7/2010

I am loving this line more and more, as new items are being presented. I am going to take the plunge and order some things, and hope that they stay beautiful for a long time. I appreciate your responses, but I guess realistically there isn't a definitive answer at present.

Thank you!

kachina6241342824250.32714858 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
On 7/20/2012 D Oro said:
On 7/20/2012 Suer said:

I don't believe the plating has been discussed in detail. If necessary, you could always take your piece to a local jeweler to have it re-plated. Hopefully that will never be necessary.

According to what I've read "plating" is not the correct word. The bronze is treated with a clear sealer, perhaps an acrylic. That is why polishing would not help. I have some old copper and brass bowls that have tarnished and when I've tried to polish them, they don't polish. This week I got out a bronze ring I got from HSN last winter. I believe it was a Today's Special from Studio Barse and it has been kept in a Prestige box. It is not nearly as bright and shiny as it was originally. I took a treated polishing cloth to it but it was ineffective. I'd be very cautious about purchasing large quantities of this jewelry. If it were highly desirable, it would have been used for years. It's obvious the Q is pushing it hard but all the advance orders tell me they don't have a lot of confidence in it.

pinky171342892862.3356 PostsRegistered 11/7/2010

I find this all so perplexing and disappointing. Why would the manufacturer (Milor) not test this product to ensure that it does in fact maintain its color, at least if handled with care?? Perhaps there is an explanation and a solution, but I do wish the issues on these boards were addressed specifically. (By the vendor- if they are reading the discussions). I look forward to upcoming shows featuring Bronzo Italia, and hope that during presentations the hosts say exactly how to care for and maintain this jewelry. I appreciate the feedback from customers who have already received some of these pieces, and I am waiting cautiously to decide whether to keep or cancel my remaining orders.

mac13191342893988.19123 PostsRegistered 2/13/2011
On 7/21/2012 pinky17 said:

I find this all so perplexing and disappointing. Why would the manufacturer (Milor) not test this product to ensure that it does in fact maintain its color, at least if handled with care?? Perhaps there is an explanation and a solution, but I do wish the issues on these boards were addressed specifically. (By the vendor- if they are reading the discussions). I look forward to upcoming shows featuring Bronzo Italia, and hope that during presentations the hosts say exactly how to care for and maintain this jewelry. I appreciate the feedback from customers who have already received some of these pieces, and I am waiting cautiously to decide whether to keep or cancel my remaining orders.

I am so with you on this. I still look at this line and I love the way the pieces look {#emotions_dlg.sad}. I want to have them but not if tarnish resistant coating isn't able to actually do its job. I have three pieces left on advance order. Let's hope someone is reading this since it's the board discussions that prompted QVC to finally cut a couple of the rings. There are currently seven hours worth of shows devoted to BI on 8/9/12. QVC has plenty of time between now and then get this deal breaking issue addressed.

pinky171342896747.92756 PostsRegistered 11/7/2010

I agree mac1319 that BI has time to respond to everyone's concerns. I am actually feeling bad for the vendor, I think all the pieces look beautiful, but I can only imagine how many advanced orders have been cancelled as a result of these issues. If these items/orders are already in production, think of how much extra inventory will be around if they don't do something quickly. I do hope someone is reading the board discussions and responds soon.

pinky171343077779.32756 PostsRegistered 11/7/2010

Sorry...just want to say a few more things...re this issue. There is a blog written by individuals named "Valentina and Maria" dated July 5th, where they discuss their involvement with Bronzo Italia. I am waiting for a response on that blog regarding the tarnishing/discoloring situation with some of the Bronzo pieces. I haven't seen any response yet. I truly hope that QVC or the vendor (Milor) are reading these discussions and provide a satisfactory explanation asap!

Jewelicious1343078131.61811 PostsRegistered 5/23/2012

I think I may call the Corporate offices of the Q and let them know what is going on so they can address this issue sooner rather than later.

Will let you know what happens.

ETA: I just called. They are closed for the day. I'll call tomorrow and let you know what they have to say.

Last edited on 7/23/2012

Last edited on 7/23/2012

Last edited on 7/23/2012

pinky17134307871656 PostsRegistered 11/7/2010

Thank you Jewelicious!

Sooner1343078834.29314432 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I am very very leerly of this product and don't have ANY interest in purchasing it.

silverdrake1343078897.537223 PostsRegistered 7/23/2012

Same here, thankyou Jewelicious!

farmerswife1343079129.51318 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005
On 7/23/2012 Jewelicious said:

I think I may call the Corporate offices of the Q and let them know what is going on so they can address this issue sooner rather than later.

Will let you know what happens.

ETA: I just called. They are closed for the day. I'll call tomorrow and let you know what they have to say.

Last edited on 7/23/2012

Last edited on 7/23/2012

Hi Jewelicious, I feel like I should also call since I had the tarnishing problem. I was thinking about contacting David Markenstein the gold buyer since he was the one to introduce this product. I was kind of half expecting a call from QVC today about this issue, since we know they read the boards.

Page 1 of 2