TSV(R) Preview
135 Members and 11016 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

Bronzo Italia: clarification from the Q about plating.

Started 1340673667.377 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1341506536.32 by DebbieDD

I know a few of us had questions about this new line so I wrote to the Q and here is their response:

Thank you for emailing QVC. We appreciate your patience. 
Per vendor: This bronze will stay rose and will never turn green. It is a special alloy
that have noble metals. Low quality bronze alloy turns green and dark brown.
But for this alloy, it is not the case. Even if this bronze is a nice rose color (as per the alloy),
we use a rose gold flash plating on top that also have a protection.
This would make the rose color keep its color for very long time.

Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

Page 1 of 1
MarieIG1340674292.083522 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007

{#emotions_dlg.glare}

MarieIG

Wife; mother of six (one military/ one law enforcement); three cats, and one dog. I enjoy reading about beauty, jewelry, fashion, and wellness.

gardensla1340674517.58719451 PostsRegistered 9/7/2006Los Angeles, CA

Flash plating is a new one on me too. Doesn't make me love the rings I bought any less, though.

Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

beach-mom1340674587.5479716 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Mid-Atlantic

{#emotions_dlg.confused1} The description looks like it was written by someone who doesn't speak much English. And I find it confusing. Couldn't someone at QVC simplify things a little?

star8261340675411.0312389 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Coastal Ripkaland bordering Bixbyville and Dawkinstown

Really loved that bracelet Lisa was selling in PM Style tonight but for $200 if she says it's got the rose coloring thru and thru and the Q sent the above reply that it's flash plated, I'm not spending any money on that line until the Q powers that be and the on air hosts have the same answer.

Plating does not last.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know PEACE" ~ Jimi Hendrix

A helpful decision maker: Ask yourself, "What would Cher do?"

onlineshopr1340676937.5373714 PostsRegistered 6/12/2005
Thank you, gardensla. I hope you continue to enjoy your rings. If per the vendor it will never turn green or dark brown, why the need to plate at all? My concern is that the plating won't last as star said, and then how will it look?

SpaceBarb1341359545.3873 PostsRegistered 1/12/2009

Well it is good to find this blog. I just received my first piece of bronzo italia and was concerned to read about the "flash plating". I am wondering if this is similar to silver mixed or plated with palladium? And I understand even white gold can have a rodium plating. What do you think?

depglass1341411192.6724103 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I agree with onlineshopr, if the metal is so great, why does it need to be plated? It won't take a polish or what? I'm not even trying this stuff until it has proven itself. I've got too many Epiphany scratched pieces from wearing them next to another ring. I'll stick to rhodium, thank you.

SUHSE391341414853.4571717 PostsRegistered 3/13/2012
On 7/3/2012 SpaceBarb said:

Well it is good to find this blog. I just received my first piece of bronzo italia and was concerned to read about the "flash plating". I am wondering if this is similar to silver mixed or plated with palladium? And I understand even white gold can have a rodium plating. What do you think?

Today pretty much all white gold and quite often platinum, is plated. Here's a brief blurb of info:

"White gold is almost always rhodium plated. It is a common practice in the jewelry trade to always rhodium plate white gold jewelry. Similarly, platinum can be rhodium plated but sometimes it is left in it's natural state. Rhodium is very white, reflective, extremely hard and virtually tarnish proof. Platinum on the other hand normally appears to be a more grayish white and not as bright which is why it is sometimes plated as well unless it has a good amount of palladium in the alloy. When the plating on platinum begins to wear thin you don't notice it as much, but you do on white gold because the alloy is yellowish." *DY Jewels.com*

cindychats1341476074.3217559 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008
On 6/25/2012 star826 said:

Really loved that bracelet Lisa was selling in PM Style tonight but for $200 if she says it's got the rose coloring thru and thru and the Q sent the above reply that it's flash plated, I'm not spending any money on that line until the Q powers that be and the on air hosts have the same answer.

Plating does not last.

The way I read it, they say it is rose all the way thru (because it is alloyed that way with bronze and noble metals) but then for extra protection, it is flash plated with rose gold. not sure my English is any better, lol

Like sterling silver that is rhodium plated for tarnish protection.

Just a note on white gold. I have never noticed any rhodium on white gold plating wear off. hmmm, but I don't buy a lot of white gold. I like yellow gold.

Fortune1341477888.32415 PostsRegistered 8/5/2009
On 6/25/2012 gardensla said:

I know a few of us had questions about this new line so I wrote to the Q and here is their response:

Thank you for emailing QVC. We appreciate your patience. 
Per vendor: This bronze will stay rose and will never turn green. It is a special alloy
that have noble metals. Low quality bronze alloy turns green and dark brown.
But for this alloy, it is not the case. Even if this bronze is a nice rose color (as per the alloy),
we use a rose gold flash plating on top that also have a protection.
This would make the rose color keep its color for very long time.

Thanks, gardensla! I listened very carefully to the presentations of Bronzo Italia and they specifically said that it was a combination of bronze and alloys that was rose through and through. It was not--I repeat--NOT plated. Now we find out that it is indeed plated. I'm don't know what I think of the Q for incorrectly presenting the true facts about this "new" product from Italy! Would it be called lying to the customer?????

Raider Fan1341479854.8034462 PostsRegistered 8/11/2009SF Bay Area

Oh my goodness, thank you from me for my not having a heart attack over this metal. I even earlier canceled a couple of advance order items because I was getting nervous. I DO already have the ring and the necklace (pink and black) and I fell in love with this new alloy. It really is drop dead gorgeous. I rather went overboard on the ordering and I never had before one piece of rose gold. I since have ordered some real rose gold earrings and a rose gold plated highway ring with diamonique. (Actually I LOVE the ring) Now I am going to calm down, not worry about all of the easy pays that will be coming in like a flood, and wait for my beautifull jewelry. I canceled the watch which I thought would so great with all of the other Bronzo jewelry. I am very sad about that but my kids need that money more than I need yet another watch. I hate that it is down to choices but it certainly is. Family comes first. For those of us who ordered, especially like I did, we can get on the boards and gush. Remember, I have that ring that has a lot of that metal and it is beautiful.

Common sense is not so common. **Voltaire**

DebbieDD1341506536.328109 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004

It may be a rose bronze alloy through and through but also plated much like white gold, platinum and silver is plated in rhodium. Pretty pieces but rather pricey.

Last edited on 7/5/2012

Last edited on 7/5/2012

Page 1 of 1