TSV(R) Preview
91 Members and 13682 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

Moissanite???

Started 1339001720.47 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1339030111.533 by LucyGoose

What's the deal with moissanite? Why is it so expensive? Isn't it a cz?

Namaste

Page 1 of 1
chickenbutt1339002024.0424614 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

It's not a CZ. In fact, it actually looks like diamonds. Some people say theirs is greenish tinged but I think that's the minority. I have a couple of (1carat each, diamond equivalent) Moissanite stones that I purchased years ago and set for studs, and they are stunning. I can put them next to any of my excellent quality diamonds and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

CZ, OTOH, looks like glass. Only the very tiny stones look good, IMO.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Left the b­uilding1339004780.323275 PostsRegistered 5/12/2012Where Amazon meets eBay
It is grown in a lab and has the same composition as a real diamond but engineered to be flawless. The company who does this has a patent which will expire soon. Once it does I suspect the price to drop. I own a few and have for years. Another good substitute for this if you want better than a CZ and not the price is Nexus. They have a three way promise against the stone, setting and loss of the stone plus great info on their site which tells just how they are made. They also sell loose stones so if you already have the setting you can purchase just the stone which I did to revamp my wedding ring after my husband died. I have also purchased stud earrings and a pendant. Next day free shipping plus no tax unless you live in IL. If I put it next to my Moissanite you can't tell the difference. HTH Last edited on 6/6/2012

Last edited on 6/6/2012

esmeraldag­ooch1339007518.86312302 PostsRegistered 1/7/2008Adopt a Rescue Pet, who rescues who?

Moissanite is NOT the same composistion as a diamond.

Mineral moissanite was discovered by Henri Moissan while examining rock samples from a meteor crater located in Canyon Diablo, Arizona, in 1893. At first, he mistakenly identified the crystals as diamonds, but in 1904 he identified the crystals as silicon carbide.[5][6] The mineral form of silicon carbide was named moissanite in honor of Moissan later on in his life. The discovery in the Canyon Diablo meteorite and other places was challenged for a long time as carborundum contamination from human abrasive tools.

Moissanite vs. Diamond Facts Back-to-Back

<h3 class="module_subtitle">Differences and Similarities between Diamond and Moissanite</h3> <!--INFOLINKS_ON-->
A few quick facts that may surprise you when comparing diamond and moissanite stones. Many claim moissanite as a superior gemstone. Here is why.
  • Moissanite is a near colorless gemstone.
    Most common Diamonds are classified in this range.
  • Moissanite ranks 9.25 on the Mohs Hardness scale making it the second hardest gem.
    Diamond ranks 10 making it the hardest gem.
  • Moissanite possess more fire or dispersion (the flashes) at .104
    Diamond rates considerably lower at .044
  • Moissanite also has a higher refractive index or brilliance (the sparkle) at 2.65
    Diamond comes in at 2.42
  • Moissanite is only available as a lab-created stone as its natural state is not found on Earth (it was discovered in a meteorite).
    Diamond is readily available in its natural state and there are now companies creating lab-created diamond see Apollo, Gemesis, Takara or even Life Gem.
  • Moissanite costs a fraction of its diamond equivalent.
    Diamonds are sold to us as an "investment", but the average consumer isn't purchasing investment grade stones and very few jewelers will buy them back at full price unless you "upgrade" with a more expensive stone.
  • One company Charles and Colvard holds the patent for jewelry grade moissanite.
    One company has been known for controlling the diamond market and its prices.
  • Moissanites are hand cut with optical properties that best show off the stone.
    Diamonds are hand cut with optical properties that best show off the stone.

Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase.
Martin Luther King Jr.

QsMom1339013880.703747 PostsRegistered 6/22/2008

http://www.gemologyproject.com/wiki/index.php?title=Moissanite

http://www.gemologyproject.com/wiki/index.php?title=Synthetic_gemstones

Moissanite is expensive because Charles & Colvard have a patent on it until 2015 in the US, and 2016 or later in some other countries.

eternalmag­pie1339015810.77776 PostsRegistered 5/5/2012

after reading about blood diamonds I would like to get a moissanite, but I'm going to wait until after the patent expires because many are predicting prices will drop.

I don't want to get stuck paying 2012 prices only to see the value of my purchase drop like a rock after 2015.

Usamarsha1339020737.2471400 PostsRegistered 12/13/2008
On 6/6/2012 eternalmagpie said:

after reading about blood diamonds I would like to get a moissanite, but I'm going to wait until after the patent expires because many are predicting prices will drop.

I don't want to get stuck paying 2012 prices only to see the value of my purchase drop like a rock after 2015.

ITA! I'll wait until they are the same price as CZ's or other lab created stones in 2015. It's only 3 yrs away after all. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

blahblahva­mpemerblah1339022853.5936204 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 6/6/2012 eternalmagpie said:

"Blood" diamonds are from Sierra Leone, and the world has done a great job at keeping them off the market. If everyone banned diamonds because of one country, lots of people in very poor countries wouldn't have a job at all. It's kind of like when the West said that certain countries couldn't use child labor, and then they ended up in pros ti tution instead.

As a jewelry dealer, moissanite isn't touched by most of us because it's considered a glammed-up CZ, and the price will eventually fall to the same levels.

Yeah, FINALLY!!!!! Run Trey, run!

Scotmeg1339025688.051150 PostsRegistered 5/4/2005
Haven't taken it off yet!! My beautiful .50 ctw Moissanite pendant on a gold chain From JTV.

CalmInTheH­eart1339026436.477461 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007

Moissanite is not a CZ. It's so much more. I have a lot of moissanite in gold pieces. They are outstanding. My older pieces still look brand new. The sparkle of a CZ is flat and glass-like. Not so with moissanite. I prefer moissanite to diamonds!

Peace

LucyGoose1339030111.5333290 PostsRegistered 4/19/2012USA

I think the price of Moissanite will go down. When it does, that's when I'll buy a piece. For right now I'm happy with DMQ.

Your tag line here

Page 1 of 1