TSV(R) Preview
28 Members and 8928 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

Does gold over stainless steel tarnish or turn colors?

Started 1336579442.84 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1338300254.127 by corvette mary
replies

I am a little tired of the upkeep of vermeil/GP because I have to remember to put it back in an anti tarnish box or the silver underneath tarnishes over time. Frankly sometimes I take something off the in the bathroom and leave it there for weeks {#emotions_dlg.blushing} so I prefer low maintenance jewelry.

I've never tried any gold over stainless steel pieces. how do they hold up? is it easier to care for than gold over sterling, since stainless steel shouldn't tarnish? Do the pieces look odd or very realistic, especially the rose gold?

Do you prefer gold over steel or gold over sterling, if you had to pick between two plated pieces of jewelry?

Page 1 of 1
Kathleen1336579633.14713146 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

I have both - gold/steel and gold/silver.

Personally, the only difference I noticed is the slightly different color to the gold.

I'm not careless with my jewelry - so upkeep/maintenance isn't an issue.

CalmInTheH­eart1336594383.1377281 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007

Yes, gold over stainless or silver will tarnish, chip, wear off. I quit buying because of it.

Peace

lavenderju­nkie1336594528.21713082 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

In my experience, gold over stainless steel does not tarnish. HOWEVER, I find that it can and does scratch and sometimes chip. I haven't had problems on bracelets, but the posts on earrings chipped (the rest of the earring was fine) and a high polish ring scratched in the first wearing.

blueroses471338153383.4772149 PostsRegistered 9/1/2005Central NJ

I have both gold over silver and gold over stainless. I really haven't seen any problem with any of it, and I believe some of it is OLD by the standards of these boards. Maybe, 20 years at the outset.

I don't wear these pieces daily, so I cannot attest to daily wearing. And to be honest, I always hesitate to buy rings in plated metals, just for this very reason.

But in the case of earrings, necklaces and bracelets which I know for sure, I'm taking off at the end of the day, well I have never had a problem with any of them.

I guess you have to know what you are buying and what kind of wear the pieces are going to get. Usually it's fine.

Desi1338167365.51314137 PostsRegistered 6/9/2007Ma

The earrings I had my ears pierced with were gold over stainless. probably the standard back then, but big mistake for me. The gold flaked off the post, and kept the holes from healing well. One got infected and had to be re-pierced. So, at least for earring, stick with straight stainless or solid gold.

Desi

corvette m­ary1338300254.123700 PostsRegistered 5/26/2010

Cald, overlay, embraced whatever the trendy term of the day is.. one thing for sure its all the same cheap and wears off!! Save your money until you can afford one good piece.

Page 1 of 1