Dooney & Bourke
76 Members and 16310 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

What is Herkimer Quartz

Started 1331442165.647 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1331577241.98 by Sheilaray
HSN is selling something called Herkimer Quartz. I have never heard about this but that doesn't mean anything. They have already almost sold out. Anyone?

Page 1 of 1
LoveGems1331442459.8148 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007

It's clear quartz that is found in Herkimer New York. It's often has black inclusions or is different colors. The Herkimer quartz has something in it that makes them have extra sparkle & some dispersion. It can be breathtaking.

BooRad8591331442636.773802 PostsRegistered 6/27/2011

Wow...that was the fastest Sold Out I have ever seen. And the vendor, Deb Guyot, is funny and adorable.

annabellet­hecat1331442667.30714874 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006
Is it worth what they are asking?

annabellet­hecat1331442787.58714874 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006
I've seen her on HSN before. Usually it seems like competition with Colleen.

MissButter­cup1331443121.3932118 PostsRegistered 10/23/2010

I grew up near Herkimer. We used to "mine" for them for fun when I was a kid. They are really pretty. IDK how valueable they are.

LoveGems1331443662.37748 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007
On 3/10/2012 annabellethecat said: Is it worth what they are asking?

Like anything, it's personal preference - it's worth it if you like it that much. I bought it so if the stones are nice, it'll be worth it to me. Based on research I did online today, if the stones are clean, the price is valid.

lovepink1331443811.8631104 PostsRegistered 8/15/2006

I bought it and two different pair of earrings cause I couldn't decide which earrings and everything was selling out so fast! I have never seen things go like this especially lately.

annabellet­hecat1331443900.67714874 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006
You ladies know me. I usually go to the grocery store, the Drs or lunch or dinner maybe 4 or 5 times a week. I can see it now ( I do get compliments on my clothes and jewelry), but if I said, (so proud, all puffed up) "it's a Herkimier". They'd say, " oh! I'm so sorry". It does sound like something that maybe went bad. Like a disease. When you get old (like me), you impress people by what your adult children do for you, not by what you have. In my world everything is bartered. Like my neighbor takes down my huge trash can and puts his in it and I have those huge bottles of water delivered and I give him some of them. So, I'm afraid if I said, I'll give you a Herkimer". He'd say, "I'd rather have a bottle water". Ha!

LoveGems1331445096.1748 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007

Annabellethecat, you are too funny. I don't post often, only if I feel I have something to contribute, which is rare. But I do use this forum as a resource, and sometimes just for the company. You are seriously one of my favorite posters: funny & full of common sense.

beach-mom1331445821.5079866 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Mid-Atlantic

My son has always been interested in rocks and natural gemstones. We surprised him for his 16th birthday and took him "mining" at the Herkimer Diamond Mines last fall during a mini school vacation. It was hard work, but he and my dh found some "diamonds." We were there working with sledgehammers all day! I found a teeny tiny one lying on the ground right before we left! They have an incredible gift store with gems from all over the world. Before we left, we bought his sister earrings made from the "diamonds." They weren't cheap, but they were an early birthday present. I wanted something too, so we looked into getting one of his stones "set" for me - they have a jeweler on the premises.It was too pricey for us then. This past fall I was at a craft show at one of the local schools. I saw some earrings that looked similar to my daughter's, and asked the guy working there about them. His wife was the designer, and my friends and I like her work. When I asked where the stones came from, he said they get them from somewhere in upstate NY. I took that to mean Herkimer, so I bought them!

We enjoyed our trip up there. We stayed in Utica for two nights, and had some wonderful local food! We were there right at the end of their season, so they weren't very busy. We did discover they have a top-rated campground there right on the site of the mines.

I don't watch HSN, but I would have loved to see the presentation! Smile

Last edited on 3/11/2012

Last edited on 3/11/2012

annabellet­hecat1331446367.52714874 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006
Thank you love. Although I doubt that my daughters would agree about the common sense remark. I have that white Ipad2. I still haven't gotten the handle that fits on the back of it because none of you ladies knew anything about it. I miss my daughter. She went out to Denver, Colorado to look into a job she'd Skyped for! She didn't get the job but she has friend's everywhere; and of course found some out there. She's toured a brewery, hiked and did tons of things. I don't mind paying for it. Am I the only one who likes to watch Colleen run her fingers over those big honkin necklaces and stones. She seems so gracious. She kept the weight off. Well, I have rambled on and on. I just love it when I start a subject because then I don't feel bad when I bla, bla about a totally different subject. Tomorrow I want to tell you ladies about my Jack the wonder cat and how he saved the life og a tiny squirrel. It was only the size from the tip of your finger to the knuckle! It's eyes were totally closed and it had no hair. I will tell you ladies about his "rescue". I am trying to make him a rescue vest because this isn't the first rescue he's done. I will put the subject so you don't need to click on it if it bores you. Goodnight.

Sheilaray1331483538.6173724 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007

I was really pleased with the price and can't wait to get mine! It will be pretty dressed up and super fresh looking with summer dresses. Love, love, love!

Clickedy C­lack1331484239.67342 PostsRegistered 2/28/2011

Interesting HSN programming last night, as I explored their venue (that I do increasingly nowadays)!

Herkimer diamond is a generic name for a double-terminated quartz crystal discovered within exposed outcrops of dolostone in and around Herkimer County, New York and ...

Being fascinated with the 'soul' qualities of gems (precious and not considered so precious) and their energy impact, my first quality jewelry foray was Paola Valentini Sterling 18" Clear Quartz Bead Necklace. It doesn't have the history of Herkimers, but it does have quality beauty, especially for those of us who prefer chunky/bold beads.

HSN's program, highlighted by Deb Guyot, the designer's enthusiasm that was infectious, was a delightful program. I'm going back for the large earrings that sold out...that weren't Herkimer's at all!
Wink

BooRad8591331485443.16802 PostsRegistered 6/27/2011
On 3/11/2012 Clickedy Clack said:

HSN's program, highlighted by Deb Guyot, the designer's enthusiasm that was infectious, was a delightful program. I'm going back for the large earrings that sold out...that weren't Herkimer's at all!
Wink

Completely agree! It was great to see a vendor having a good time with the host without sacrificing her discussion of the jewelry. Fun show to watch, even if you weren't buying anything.

depglass1331503763.02324401 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

It was nice to see a sell-out, it tells me the economy is getting better.

Sheilaray1331577241.983724 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007

Bumping up for Lotus!

Page 1 of 1