New Holiday Decor
128 Members and 16916 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

Safety chains on Pandora bracelets....

Started 1327933431.253 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1328110264.103 by oceantown

I think I saw a discussion on this a few days ago, but I have a very specific question. I have both Judith Ripka's "Pandora style" charm bracelet and a genuine Pandora bracelet. I had purchased two clip-on stoppers for the Pandora and they work beautifully placed on the crimped part of the bracelet that they are designed to fit.

So here's my question: If I don't place a safety chain on the Pandora, what keeps my charms from sliding off the end when I open the bracelet to put it on my wrist? I have noticed that my Judith Ripka charms slide very easily onto the Pandora, but unfortunately slide off just as easily, making it a bit of a challenge to put on my wrist!

Thank you ~~ I look forward to hearing from anyone that owns a Pandora! Smile

"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God". ~ Bob Pierce ~ Founder of World Vision

Pray for the USA, Pray for Israel

Page 1 of 1
tobias1327936215.2772166 PostsRegistered 8/29/2007longisland

just buy a clip and place it at the open end of your bracelet (where you put the charms on...i have a pandora and 2 chamilia bracelets and the clip(or lock) keeps the charms from falling off when you put it on and take it off. i dont have a safety chain on any of my bracelets-pandora and chamilia-no need for them.

formerly poohbear

benzgirl1327938791.865696 PostsRegistered 12/23/2006Tennessee by way of the great state of NY

tobias ~~

Do you mean a clip from the Pandora store that's designed specifically for the end or is it another one of the clips that I spoke of in my original post? I'll have to look at what they have available.

"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God". ~ Bob Pierce ~ Founder of World Vision

oceantown1327941137.648702 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 1/30/2012 benzgirl said:

tobias ~~

Do you mean a clip from the Pandora store that's designed specifically for the end or is it another one of the clips that I spoke of in my original post? I'll have to look at what they have available.

Hi, Benzgirl,

Hope you don't mind if I jump in here!

Yes, the Pandora clips are made to fit the two middle threaded sections of the bracelet and fit perfectly there and they will stay in that part of the bracelet, but they will still be able to spin around, so they still have movement.

Many people buy a third clip, and place it on the bracelet at the end, before the end threads. Even though the clips fit the middle threaded sections, they do not fit the end threaded sections. They are not meant to. This clip will keep the charms or spacers from falling off the end of the bracelet when you are putting it on or taking it off, and it will also keep the charms from twisting onto the end threads.

I have also seen photos of bracelets that have a 4th clip and put it on the bracelet near the other end (the clasp end), before the threads. It is a nice look. When a clip is put onto the bracelet before the threaded end sections, it is not tight on the bracelet so it moves like a regular charm or spacer bead.

I have had my Pandora less than a year (love it!), but I have just a few charms. I am not an expert, but I read a lot of posts on the pandora facebook, read Pandora blogs and even watched Pandora youtube videos and have learned a lot.

There are also safety chains, and Pandora has two styles, with clips, or that twist on. The clip style also do not fit on the end threads, they clip on the bracelet before the ends and will slide. Some people like the safety chains that twist on, and they will cover the end threads, although they do move a little and will probably twist to uncover the threaded sections unless the bracelet is very full.

It is personal opinion on whether someone likes the safety chain, which type they like, or if they have a clip on the end, or clips on both ends, or just finish the bracelet with charms or spacers.

For me personally, I think when I have more charms on my bracelet, I will probably buy two more clips and clip them onto the bracelet before the end threads.

Hope this helps!

benzgirl1327941989.6335696 PostsRegistered 12/23/2006Tennessee by way of the great state of NY

oceantown ~

I really appreciate your 'jumping in', as you put it. Thank you so much for your detailed response. I never thought to look over on youtube, so I will take a trip over there to see what I can find. I'm not a fan of the safety chains either, but thought that was the only way to keep all those little charmers from running all over the floor when I try putting on the bracelet. As you know, the other two segments of the bracelet are secure but I was very concerned about how to make sure everyone stays in place on the 'open end'.

Aren't Pandora bracelets just the best? I just got mine this past summer on a trip to Orlando and only have the pink zircon tendril clips and four Pandora beads (placed between the two clips) so far. I recently got the Judith bracelet and have played with adding some of her charms to the Pandora bracelet for a different look, but like I said...those little buggers can run right off the end if I'm not careful putting it on! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I just love the individual attention that you get when you go into a Pandora store, don't you?

oceantown1327943242.318702 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Benzgirl,

One more thing I forgot to mention.

I believe that if someone has charms from another brand that fit a Pandora bracelet, those charms probably have a larger opening and like you said, they can slide on and off the bracelet very easily, even over the threaded sections.

The system on the Pandora bracelet with the threads fits the Pandora charms perfectly. They inside of the Pandora charms have threads, and they twist over the threads on the end sections and the middle sections of the bracelet. So, if someone has a Pandora threaded bead as the end charm on their bracelet, it should not just fall off the bracelet when you are putting it on or taking it off, unless it has twisted onto the end threads, and then continues twisting off the end of the bracelet when you unlatch it.

While you are wearing the bracelet, the end charm (if it is a Pandora brand) could twist onto the end threads. Putting a clip before the end threads will keep that threaded section uncovered, and nothing will cover the end threads or fall off the bracelet when it is unlatched.

I believe some of the Pandora charms do not have threads because of the style of the bead, such as the newer open-works charms. Also some of the narrow spacers do not have threads. So, if someone has one of the charms or spacers that slide over the threads, rather than twist over the threads, as the last bead on their bracelet, there would be more possibility that one of those could fall off the bracelet when putting it on or taking it off.

Hope this helps, take care!

oceantown1327943566.0178702 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Hi, benzgirl,

Just noticed your new reply, thanks so much!

I got my bracelet on vacation too! They were so helpful. Such a fun experience.

I only have two clips and 3 charms, but I just love my bracelet. I posted a photo on another thread here in jewelry talk. Come take a look and join our fun discussion!

I love the tendril clips! I have those also, one with blue stones, one with pink.

tobias1327943919.5232166 PostsRegistered 8/29/2007longisland

tobias ~~

yes, the same clip you put on the crimped sections on the bracelet . i place it right next to the crimped section near the closure. the beads will never fall off when you open or close the bracelet.

formerly poohbear

tobias1327944956.42166 PostsRegistered 8/29/2007longisland
On 1/30/2012 oceantown said:

Benzgirl,

I believe that if someone has charms from another brand that fit a Pandora bracelet, those charms probably have a larger opening and like you said, they can slide on and off the bracelet very easily, even over the threaded sections.

The system on the Pandora bracelet with the threads fits the Pandora charms perfectly. They inside of the Pandora charms have threads, and they twist over the threads on the end sections and the middle sections of the bracelet. So, if someone has a Pandora threaded bead as the end charm on their bracelet, it should not just fall off the bracelet when you are putting it on or taking it off, unless it has twisted onto the end threads, and then continues twisting off the end of the bracelet when you unlatch it.

While you are wearing the bracelet, the end charm (if it is a Pandora brand) could twist onto the end threads. Putting a clip before the end threads will keep that threaded section uncovered, and nothing will cover the end threads or fall off the bracelet when it is unlatched.

I believe some of the Pandora charms do not have threads because of the style of the bead, such as the newer open-works charms. Also some of the narrow spacers do not have threads. So, if someone has one of the charms or spacers that slide over the threads, rather than twist over the threads, as the last bead on their bracelet, there would be more possibility that one of those could fall off the bracelet when putting it on or taking it off.

oceantown-it used to drive me crazy when the pandora beads got cought on the threaded end sections-the clips work great..i think i mentioned the i took both my clips from the center sections and put them at the ends..since my pandora bracelet is full the charms cover the 2 middle threads..thats why i honestly prefer the chamilia bracelets that dont have the center threads so now i get the chamilia bracelets and use pandora and chamilia charms... and yes, the customer service is fantastic in all stores that sell the pandora! tobi

ps i got my pandora bracelet for christmas last year (2011) and last january was on vacation in sarasota when i got my first chamilia..such fun on vac to go charm shopping!

Last edited on 1/30/2012

Last edited on 1/30/2012

formerly poohbear

benzgirl1327945118.035696 PostsRegistered 12/23/2006Tennessee by way of the great state of NY

tobias and oceantown ~

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me such detailed explanations. I understand completely! Funny that neither of the girls that I spoke to when I was in a Pandora store ever mentioned that I needed to think about a clip for that end. Maybe they thought I didn't need one yet, as I was only working on my 'middle section' at the time. But when I started playing with my Ripka charms, I discovered that I needed to do something if I was to ever wear any of them on the Pandora bracelet!

This is such a fun obsession!! lol!!

benzgirl1327945288.4235696 PostsRegistered 12/23/2006Tennessee by way of the great state of NY
On 1/30/2012 tobias said:

Benzgirl,

oceantown-it used to drive me crazy when the pandora beads got cought on the threaded end sections-the clips work great..i think i mentioned the i took both my clips from the center sections and put them at the ends..since my pandora bracelet is full the charms cover the 2 middle threads..thats why i honestly prefer the chamilia bracelets that dont have the center threads so now i get the chamilia bracelets and use pandora and chamilia charms... and yes, the customer service is fantastic in all stores that sell the pandora! tobi

ps i got my pandora bracelet for christmas last year (2011) and last january was on vacation in sarasota when i got my first chamilia..such fun on vac to go charm shopping!

Last edited on 1/30/2012

DH got me the "black Friday" heart charm dated 2011 for Christmas this year. I thought that was really cool because I started my bracelet in 2011, and the charm is engraved 2011.

oceantown1327948371.118702 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 1/30/2012 tobias said:

Last edited on 1/30/2012

Hi, tobias,

I think it is a great idea to put a clip on the bracelet as the last charm.

I think I want to keep my clips on the center threaded sections. I will probably not have a completely full bracelet, and it keeps the charms each in their own section.

I also would not want to worry about the charms moving back and forth over the threads, or putting pressure on the threaded sections, if that makes sense. I have seen many photos of bracelets that do not have clips though. It is just personal preferences, they all look gorgeous!

Yes, it is so fun to go charm shopping on vacation!

It is so nice talking to you tobi! Take care.

oceantown1327953926.9538702 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

tobias and oceantown ~

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me such detailed explanations. I understand completely! Funny that neither of the girls that I spoke to when I was in a Pandora store ever mentioned that I needed to think about a clip for that end. Maybe they thought I didn't need one yet, as I was only working on my 'middle section' at the time. But when I started playing with my Ripka charms, I discovered that I needed to do something if I was to ever wear any of them on the Pandora bracelet!

When I bought my bracelet I was told that I needed clips on the two middle threaded sections, but it was not mentioned about a clip at the end. I agree with you, and I think they just did not think we needed it yet. Plus, if someone uses a Pandora charm that twists on for the last charm on the bracelet, there is not as big of a chance of it falling off when unlatching the bracelet, compared to if someone had a charm that slides over the end threads.

Yes, this bracelet is so much fun, and I think I tend to get obsessed, lol!

oceantown1327954035.998702 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

benzgirl,

You have the midnight heart charm! Very pretty!

Have you seen the other thread here about Pandora... I have a photo of my bracelet and you can see my pink enamel heart charm, which is the same shape as yours!

tobias1327954819.672166 PostsRegistered 8/29/2007longisland

tobias and oceantown ~

When I bought my bracelet I was told that I needed clips on the two middle threaded sections, but it was not mentioned about a clip at the end. I agree with you, and I think they just did not think we needed it yet. Plus, if someone uses a Pandora charm that twists on for the last charm on the bracelet, there is not as big of a chance of it falling off when unlatching the bracelet, compared to if someone had a charm that slides over the end threads.

Yes, this bracelet is so much fun, and I think I tend to get obsessed, lol!

thats the nice thing about these bracelets -they all look different my charms were sliding off they just kind of got stuck on the threading at the end - thats why i opted for the clip at the ends..tobi

formerly poohbear

benzgirl1328016936.0875696 PostsRegistered 12/23/2006Tennessee by way of the great state of NY

benzgirl,

Have you seen the other thread here about Pandora... I have a photo of my bracelet and you can see my pink enamel heart charm, which is the same shape as yours!

oceantown ~ When I first found out about the midnight heart charm, I thought it would be nice to add just a little bit of gold to my new bracelet (which I plan to create primarily in silver). DH and I went shopping on black Friday and I "hinted" that I wanted to stop at the Pandora store to see this new charm. Well, we ran out of time that day and never got to the store. Then when we were out of state and in a Pandora store around Christmas, we saw the charm and much to my complete surprise he bought it for me! I wear it in the very center of the middle section of my bracelet, and I think it will always sit in that middle section as a sentimental reminder of the day. It's an absolutely beautiful and very special charm. It will also always remind me of the year that I began my bracelet. I love the pink enamel heart as well and am leaning toward a pink theme for my bracelet, so this little beauty sits high on my priority list. I'm really happy that you love yours!

By the way, I viewed several youtube videos yesterday and now understand that by putting a genuine Pandora charm on the open end, it will help to hold all of the Ripkas from sliding off! You girls are just the best! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I did have a chance to look at the other thread - - thank you for sharing a picture of your beautiful bracelet!

Last edited on 1/31/2012

Last edited on 1/31/2012

oceantown1328053748.4578702 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 1/31/2012 benzgirl said:

benzgirl,

oceantown ~ When I first found out about the midnight heart charm, I thought it would be nice to add just a little bit of gold to my new bracelet (which I plan to create primarily in silver). DH and I went shopping on black Friday and I "hinted" that I wanted to stop at the Pandora store to see this new charm. Well, we ran out of time that day and never got to the store. Then when we were out of state and in a Pandora store around Christmas, we saw the charm and much to my complete surprise he bought it for me! I wear it in the very center of the middle section of my bracelet, and I think it will always sit in that middle section as a sentimental reminder of the day. It's an absolutely beautiful and very special charm. It will also always remind me of the year that I began my bracelet. I love the pink enamel heart as well and am leaning toward a pink theme for my bracelet, so this little beauty sits high on my priority list. I'm really happy that you love yours!

By the way, I viewed several youtube videos yesterday and now understand that by putting a genuine Pandora charm on the open end, it will help to hold all of the Ripkas from sliding off! You girls are just the best! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I did have a chance to look at the other thread - - thank you for sharing a picture of your beautiful bracelet!

Last edited on 1/31/2012

benzgirl,

I loved hearing your story about your midnight heart charm! It is a special charm.

Thanks for your sweet comments about my pink enamel heart and bracelet, so nice of you! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I do love my pink enamel heart, and I think that the charms are so much prettier in person. You probably cannot tell that the pink enamel is not a solid color. The only way I can describe it is that it is a pretty swirled pink, with slight variations of darker and lighter swirls and it looks like it glistens to me. As you know, there are 4 pink hearts on that bead, and each one has a different swirling pattern of glistening pinkness! And then the detail in the silver itself, with the oxidation and shiney silver is so pretty. Now I am sounding obsessed, LOL.

Thanks so much for your post, any enjoy your bracelet!

BTW, when you choose your Pandora charm or clip for the end space on your bracelet, you may want to bring your bracelet with you to try both styles. You should be able to put the charm on the bracelet before you buy it, and then you can see if you prefer a twist on charm, or if you want to be extra sure that the charm will not fall off the bracelet when you unclasp it, you can choose a pretty clip and snap it in position. I really think that I will probably get a clip for the end spot in my bracelet, and probably one for the other end too, just because I think it would look nice and I tend to like the symetrical look.

Take care!

benzgirl1328102471.4675696 PostsRegistered 12/23/2006Tennessee by way of the great state of NY

oceantown ~

Good morning! I love your description of the pink heart. You are absolutely right - - no two of these hearts are alike. I just love that about Pandora....nothing is 'cookie stamped'. The pink enamel hearts just look like creamy whipped strawberry ice cream! Do you think it would be "too much" to have both the pink heart and the midnight heart on the same bracelet? I'm sure I wouldn't wear them side by side, but thought that the next time I am in a Pandora store I would try one on my bracelet and see how it looks.

I hope you have a great day!

oceantown1328110264.18702 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Good morning, benzgirl!

Ah, creamy whipped strawberry ice cream... that is great! So true!

I definitely do not think it would be too much to have both hearts on a bracelet. I think it would be beautiful.

If you have the midnight heart on the one side, it might look nice to have the pink enamel heart on the other side of the bracelet, so they are across from each other.

I usually call this my pink enamel heart, but the actual name is Rose Enamel Hearts charm.

790591EN28

Pandora St. Louis store has a great close-up! You can even see the glisten in the enamel in this photo.

http://www.pandorasaintlouis.com/product.php?pid=1669&name=Rose-Enamel-Hearts-Charm

Well, benzgirl, great talking to you today, and hope you have a great day. Take care!

Page 1 of 1