TSV(R) Preview
142 Members and 11120 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

Anyone still buying gold jewelry?

Started 1326988588.073 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1327426167.02 by deeva

I am!

Call me a fool, but I'm still finding peices that the look and price are still great. I know gold is high, but it's all relative. So is gas, but our cars aren't always on 'E', right?

I have been buying the most in the past month or so. Not really finding it at the Q, but ShopNBC has some really pretty peices. The value pays help me decide, too. Paying a few hundred dollars all at once....OUCH. To be able to break it up makes it easier.

It just seems most of the topics aren't about gold any more. The vicenza catagory hasn't 'moved' in days. No replies to the Eterna Gold blog......zzzzzzz. LOL.

You buyin?

Page 1 of 2
Flowershop­Girl1326989391.352691 PostsRegistered 3/30/2011OR

I bought some pieces when JTV had their sale for the holidays, right after Christmas. I bought items for future BD presents for some family members.

Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog;
but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog.

Douglas Mallock

chrystaltr­ee1326990046.2512643 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010

I'm still buying gold even though prices are higher than I ever thought I would see for gold. I'm not buying a lot gold jewelry but I am buying classic pieces that I know I will wear for a lifetime. I bought myself a nice gold bangle for Christmas. Gold prices being what they are, I won't buy gold earrings because I tend to lose earrings but I'll still buy rings and pendants if the prices fit into my budget. I never buy jewelry on flex play. If I can't afford to pay for it now....that means I can't afford it and I move on.

jaguarette1326990396.571633 PostsRegistered 10/19/2007

I've been buying quite a bit on ebay and at estate sales, at or right around current scrap price. Which is still pretty high, but it means the pieces cost about as much as I would have paid 10 years ago at retail. Also, I'm finding that with auctions people are basically bidding on the gold, so if there are nice gemstones in the piece you kind of get them for "free."

queendiva1326990449.053448 PostsRegistered 9/22/2006

The last gold item I bought was a little over a year ago. It was a resale 14k tanzanite & diamond bypass style ring. I bought it with the money I made from selling my scrap gold to the jeweler. A great purchase, since I wear that ring nearly every day.

I am not looking to buy anything gold at this time- still in selling mode.

Fluffy-21326991723.6873339 PostsRegistered 8/3/2011+ 4464 Posts since Aug. 2009

I am buying gold from eBay or from QVC when I can find "old" stock good solid pieces.

Beebo13269918556959 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010

I'm enjoying what I have for the most part. I think over the past year I purchased one piece.

lboone1326993662.51141 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007Winterville, GA

I am buying gold, but generally it is something I am taking in trade for scrap at my favorite local jewelry store. I'm not ususally a silver person, but I have gotten several silver pieces there as well. I'm not buying at all from the Q (anymore) and have never bought from HSN or JTV.

I HAVE gotten two estate pieces from GSN in the last 3 months that I am really excited about. They took an offer from me on both pieces, and accepted what I offered. One is a 14kt gold, pearl and gemstone bracelet and the other is an 18kt white gold pendant. I am genuinely happy with the pieces (they look better than I expected) and the customer service. The shipping is a little high, but it is 2nd day Fedex, so I don't feel like it is a total ripoff.

Lisa

"To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography and the dancers hit each other." -Jack Handey

alarmclock1326994495.441938 PostsRegistered 6/20/2006

Yes. I am more selective but I think that is because I have a pretty good collection and something has to really move me. I love the shows from Italy but some of their trips a few years back were boring. In the past few years, I think the selection was really improved. (Probably due to our complaints on here!) I also buy the Vioro publication three times a year. If I see something, I mark it. If it still moves me after a week or two, no problem - I will get it from somewhere. If not, no big shakes. I was never a big impulse buyer to begin with. Now, there is so much that looks the same - depending on where you are shopping -it is easy to shop around for more basic pieces and get a good price.

I look at pawn shops but I am not an Ebay shopper. I also go to auctions and estate sales. You just have to know what you are getting! When they see me whip out my loupe, some groan!

He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help. ~ Abraham Lincoln

BurbankKate1326995409.2676188 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007Home of: Disney Studios,W. Bros, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, media capital of the world

Platinum and Gold were at the same price this week. In fact, on Monday, Platinum traded at $200 LESS per ounce then gold did. The talk on the street is: Buy platinum.

No, I don't buy gold jewelry anymore. I stopped when it hit $900 an ounce.

- A government big enough to give you everything you want, is then strong enough to take everything you have.
- Thomas Jefferson

Shelbelle1327003124.24334738 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Not buying right now, but still very proud to wear my existing pieces, all still beautiful.

gigot1327007312.625299 PostsRegistered 10/22/2010

Not from Qvc with all the issues that pop up and the prices.

2blonde1327007703.263706 PostsRegistered 7/17/2007NE Ohio

Can't really afford it anymore, and most of what I see is made so thin and cheap that I fear it would break. I'm thankful for the nice gold pieces I already have, and will continue to wear those, as well as some new silver/gem pieces. My biggest love is for gemstones and unique designs, so the metal is secondary to me now.

Laura

lovemyroses1327012867.0358 PostsRegistered 8/11/2008

Hi, I'm still buying, but am much more selective now. I'm happy with what I have but, if I can find something pretty that is made well, I'll consider it if the price is reasonable. There are just not that many pieces available now. I've purchased lovely pieces on ebay, but haven't for the past year as values are harder to find. I shop on qvc or locally now for jewelry.

gemgirlsl1327017302.0525 PostsRegistered 1/1/2012

No.....I stopped buying 14k gold when gold prices started to rise. The last item I bought was a couple of years ago from QVC.They were a pair of onyx and gold earrings that were too small. I saw them on QVC.com and the picture looked larger than what they were. I still wear them. If I see something in person, I might buy it, but that is why I love the HSN Technibond. I can get the look of 14k. Nice large sizes without that 14k price. I started the HSN Technibond discussion since they had a Technibond event today. I know some people stated their Technibond did not hold up. I guess that can happen with any jewelry even real 14K, but as I stated on that discussion, I have been buying since the late 90's and I am happy with it. I get more compliments on the Technibond than the real 14k when I wear both together and no one knows the difference.

BurbankKate1327018912.0436188 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007Home of: Disney Studios,W. Bros, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, media capital of the world
On 1/19/2012 gemgirlsl said:

No.....I stopped buying 14k gold when gold prices started to rise. The last item I bought was a couple of years ago from QVC.They were a pair of onyx and gold earrings that were too small. I saw them on QVC.com and the picture looked larger than what they were. I still wear them. If I see something in person, I might buy it, but that is why I love the HSN Technibond. I can get the look of 14k. Nice large sizes without that 14k price. I started the HSN Technibond discussion since they had a Technibond event today. I know some people stated their Technibond did not hold up. I guess that can happen with any jewelry even real 14K, but as I stated on that discussion, I have been buying since the late 90's and I am happy with it. I get more compliments on the Technibond than the real 14k when I wear both together and no one knows the difference.

Good for you. I have purchased 4 technibond pieces over the last 6 years. None of them held up. A michaelLisa bangle completely tarnished away, a ruby colored ring tarnished, a set of hoops flaked and tarnished, and a set of hoops with gems flaked and tarnished. I am done with technibond...I donated them all to my favorite charity.

- A government big enough to give you everything you want, is then strong enough to take everything you have.
- Thomas Jefferson

esmeraldag­ooch1327098186.51312180 PostsRegistered 1/7/2008Adopt a Rescue Pet, who rescues who?

Burbankate, I agree with you. I gave a thick figaro Technibond neck chain to my son and he wore the plating off of it, at the same time I purchased a 10mm aprox byzantine chain and matching bracelet for myself. The same thing happened with it. These items didn't rub on anything except skin. Later I was going on out of country vacations and purchased more Technibond to wear away from home. Those pieces kept their finish but they tarnished very badly. Even after dipping them in silver dip they never looked good again. I finally sent them into USGB for cash for the silver.

I have purchased several new gold items lately new and used. 22K, 18k and 14k. I don't buy as much as I used to but the quality is still just as good.

Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Sharke1327101202.0238327 PostsRegistered 8/19/2010

Unloading mine while the price is up. Your afraid to wear the stuff and I never go any place and the state I live in they don't dress up anymore. Stuff just sits in the drawer. Might as well sell it and have some jingle for hard times.

Election yr. coming anything can happen ! Be my luck the price will go to 3-4000 an oz.

{#emotions_dlg.crying}

BonnieBelle1327101303.7319411 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007

I can't even afford to buy costume jewelry today with the ridiculous pricing and won't. They'll all go out of business if they wait for me.

Amour Mes ­Bijoux1327103062.8472292 PostsRegistered 12/2/2004Near The Ocean

I just bought a gorgeous vintage platinum diamond ring. Last month I bought four pairs of gold earrings. Beautiful and substantial at scrap value.

Bling Bling

CalmInTheH­eart1327105016.4537290 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007

I don't wear silver or mystery metals. I still find some good gold items at decent prices. But you have to look.....wait.....wait....look.....wait....and grab it when it is at a price you want.

You get what you pay for with Veronese and Technibond and other plated jewelry. I've never had it last. The gold wears off and the jewelry looks tacky in a short time.

Last edited on 1/20/2012

Last edited on 1/20/2012

Peace

CaChica1327107714.525895 PostsRegistered 1/13/2006
On 1/20/2012 CalmInTheHeart said:

I don't wear silver or mystery metals. I still find some good gold items at decent prices. But you have to look.....wait.....wait....look.....wait....and grab it when it is at a price you want.

You get what you pay for with Veronese and Technibond and other plated jewelry. I've never had it last. The gold wears off and the jewelry looks tacky in a short time.

Last edited on 1/20/2012

They used to have a warranty for Technibond didn't they?

CaChica1327108157.1335895 PostsRegistered 1/13/2006

Yes, but I am particular. The three pairs of Eternagold earrings I recently bought were very nice and strong. I don't buy with the intention of buying by weight for scrap resale purposes.

jCat1327319125.107212 PostsRegistered 1/3/2008

For me designer silver all the way----Yurman, Lagos, Ripka, Bixby. I don't miss the gold at all!

AngelPuppy11327320246.0738728 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008

No, I haven't bought any new gold for ages, nor has my husband purchased anything for me. The prices are just too out there. You used to be able to get a nice little gold something for practically what they want you to pay for a good silver piece now. It's a little disheartening, really, as I always enjoyed getting a new little treat now and again.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin.

VioletEyes1327418709.41713180 PostsRegistered 2/11/2009

Yes, I am.

Last edited on 1/24/2012

Last edited on 1/24/2012

Page 1 of 2