Fashion & Accessories Clearance
115 Members and 15640 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

Gold clad

Started 1326949156.37 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1327007909.853 by HopeReigns

Does 14k gold clad hold up?

Page 1 of 1
gemgirlsl1326951548.61725 PostsRegistered 1/1/2012

I don't particularly care for 14k gold clad. I moved away from that and got into Technibond on HSN which is real 14k gold over real silver and I can not tell it from real gold. It costs a bit more than 14k gold clad, but a fraction of 100% gold prices. Technibond is not gold clad, gold plated or costume jewelry. It is real - just gold over silver with the gold that shows. By the way, HSN is having a technibond event - from midnight -3AM, 1PM-5PM and 9PM to 1159PM ET on 1/19. Check it out.

millieshops1326951907.0314472 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

My guess - some does and some doesn't. I wear an Affinity ring that has some gold clad. It's about 4 years old now and is still in perfect condition.

In fact, I was wearing that ring today and an associate walking past where I was standing complimented it. She thought it was from their designer collection! Similar, but not!

catlvr1326952178.875803 PostsRegistered 5/5/2005

I wear a lot of Rivka Friedman and Veronese and Ben Amun and all have held up so well. I actually tried to beat up a great looking larger bold Veronese chain and it still looks just fine...lol.

I love big gold but the big that I love just is not affordable anymore. I also wear it all while travelling and I like having all my great accessories with me but not worrying if something gets lost or left behind. Sure I'd be sad but I could replace it if I chose to.

catlvr

millieshops1326952573.04714472 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 1/18/2012 gemgirlsl said:

I don't particularly care for 14k gold clad. I moved away from that and got into Technibond on HSN which is real 14k gold over real silver and I can not tell it from real gold. It costs a bit more than 14k gold clad, but a fraction of 100% gold prices. Technibond is not gold clad, gold plated or costume jewelry. It is real - just gold over silver with the gold that shows. By the way, HSN is having a technibond event - from midnight -3AM, 1PM-5PM and 9PM to 1159PM ET on 1/19. Check it out.

I think it's gold clad if it's gold over silver.

sunshine451326953290.60340020 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast
On 1/18/2012 catlvr said:

I wear a lot of Rivka Friedman and Veronese and Ben Amun and all have held up so well. I actually tried to beat up a great looking larger bold Veronese chain and it still looks just fine...lol.

I love big gold but the big that I love just is not affordable anymore. I also wear it all while travelling and I like having all my great accessories with me but not worrying if something gets lost or left behind. Sure I'd be sad but I could replace it if I chose to.

catlvr

catlvr, i am a big fan of rivka friedman also... i wish that qvc would bring in more of her pieces. anytime anything of hers is marked down on qvc i pick it up. i also find her items on ebay and hautelook. i agree, her things hold up, have nice weight, and are bold statement pieces. i love her matte gold pieces in particular.

Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind. - author unknown

corvette m­ary1326980619.46683 PostsRegistered 5/26/2010

Clad is just another term for applying a coat of something over a base of something...nothing clad last eventually it will start to wear away.

kitty9871326982755.0731980 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008
On 1/18/2012 millieshops said:

Gold clad is also real gold over real silver. It's the same thing as gold plating over silver, or vermeil. They just use different names for it.

Explain how technibond is different from the rest?

kitty9871326983014.8971980 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008

My guess - some does and some doesn't. I wear an Affinity ring that has some gold clad. It's about 4 years old now and is still in perfect condition.

In fact, I was wearing that ring today and an associate walking past where I was standing complimented it. She thought it was from their designer collection! Similar, but not!

Yeah. My guess is that earrings would be less likely to fade over time because they aren't rubbing against your skin.

gemgirlsl1327000076.71725 PostsRegistered 1/1/2012

Technibond might be the same as vermeil, but I have had bad experiences with gold-clad and vermeil jewelry that did not stand the test of time. I have had Technibond pieces since the late 90's when I bought a piece on a whim not expecting too much, Well, I still have that piece which was a necklace that still holds up years later. I can's say that for vermeil pieces I have bought. I have also worn Technibond jewelry in jewelry stores and the jewelers could not tell the difference by just looking at them. I wear my Technibond with real 14k and no one can tell the difference. I guess it is a matter of how these jewelers use the gold clad or the quality of it. I will stick to Technibond for now since I have had no problems. I just gave up on gold-clad per se, but I will check out Rivka Friedman. Also is that possibly gold clad or vermeil that deartment stores sell in their costume jewelry sections? Well, I stopped buying that stuff also. Let us know if you buy something from Veronese or Rivka.

jerseygirl11327000526.117562 PostsRegistered 2/21/2007

I don't particularly care for 14k gold clad. I moved away from that and got into Technibond on HSN which is real 14k gold over real silver and I can not tell it from real gold. It costs a bit more than 14k gold clad, but a fraction of 100% gold prices. Technibond is not gold clad, gold plated or costume jewelry. It is real - just gold over silver with the gold that shows. By the way HSN is having a technibond event - from midnight -3AM, 1PM-5PM and 9PM to 1159PM ET on 1/19. Check it out.

Hi gemgirlsl, I saw your post about Technibond, I don't know if you just started to buy it but I used to buy it but don't anymore. I don't know how this happened but I had several items that actually tarnished! You can see the gold overlay but the silver underneath the gold tarnished bad and looks very dark. The worst part is that there is no way to clean it. This didn't happen to all the technibond I purchased, just a few pieces. For that reason, I will never buy another technibold piece.

jewelfool1327001799.2871344 PostsRegistered 12/26/2009
I loved my Technibond at first glance. It wears pretty well but It feels like plastic to me.

lavenderju­nkie1327001856.75312794 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

The answer is.... it depends. There is no 'definition' of the specifications of gold clad... how many layers, or what thickness, of what carat gold, applied in what way, over what metal base. Therefore, it depends. Some might do well, some will not. One thing you can be sure of is that the gold layer is going to be very thin.

Vermiel has a formal definition.... in order to be called vermiel, the jewelry must be plated with 100mils (3 microns) of 14K gold over a sterling silver base. Technibond is not vermiel... it is only 40mils thick. They claim to put a special coating on top.... but I have some technibond pieces that have tarnished (especially prongs) and other that are perfect. The fact is that technibond is not made by a single manufacturer.... but my many companies... supposedly to the same specifications.

As for the rest of the clad jewelry... who know... no one gives out any information. And telling you it's 2 layers thick means virtually nothing.... is it 2 mils? 2 microns? And what process is used to bond the 2 metals.... this makes a big difference in how long the coating will last.

Gold clad is also used on stainless steel.... but I've had rings scratch in 1 wearing and the gold coating peel off the post of and earring the minute the back is applied.

chrystaltr­ee1327002214.4211523 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010

I've many, many pieces of HSN's Technibond and yes, they do "hold up". In fact the omega necklace that I am wearing today is at least 10 years old and it looks as good today as it did when I first bought It. I've been buying it for years and I've only had problems with a couple of items. Several years ago, I bought a ring that was a weird brassy color, I sent it back. And another ring that I wore several times a month for about 5 years started to show some fading on the band part on the back of the ring. That didn't bother me because I certainly got my money's worth. I have had some of my Technibond pieces so long that I think of them as solid gold. I have a couple of gold "over lay" pieces from Jtv, less than two years old and still looking good. My personal experience is that some people bash it just to be bashing, they don't really own any.

depglass1327007262.94723400 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I think Technibond or any clad pieces is best bought in necklaces. You are not banging them on a desk or counter like you might rings or bracelets.

HopeReigns1327007909.8533517 PostsRegistered 5/4/2007

That's what I've been told by more than one jeweler and one metalurgist.

Hope, >^.^<

"

Page 1 of 1