TSV(R) Preview
69 Members and 14468 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

What happened to Elizabeth Taylor's jewelry?

Started 1308238873.627 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1309364644.87 by ennui

She had such a beautiful collection that I believe a book had been written about it. Is it coming up for auction?

Page 1 of 1
missbonbon1308239745.007735 PostsRegistered 2/9/2011

Hi Depglass,

Elizabeth was such a fascinating woman. I would love to read more about her and her extensive collection of jewels. I noticed that QVC has a replica emerald ring and necklace available for purchase and hope that they continue this line of Elizabeth Taylor jewelry.

ennui1308239928.01719957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007

I have her book -- it came out several years ago, and I picked mine up from the Barnes & Noble clearance table.

The rep who was on with the fakes said that Elizabeth's collection will be auctioned off. I don't know if a date has been set, but I'm sure we'll all hear about it.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

Issiestorm1308246720.972717 PostsRegistered 9/5/2010

I have her book as well. I wonder if it's still in print.

It's my understanding, from what I've read, that the jewelry will be auctioned off to benefit the AIDS foundation that Elizabeth was the head of.

ennui1308250196.14719957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007

AFP has confirmed rumors that the late actress’s collection of baubles, estimated to be worth $150 million, will hit the auction block later this year.

“Film icon Elizabeth Taylor’s collection of jewelry, artwork, clothing, and memorabilia will be sold at auction, according to Christie’s auction house“.

A series of auctions will officially be announced this spring, with highlights including her famous 69-carat Taylor-Burton diamond.

Taylor, who died last month at the age of 79, was not only known for her love of diamonds but also for her expertise.

Luxury Jewels of Beverly Hills president and CEO Peter Sedghi, who worked with her on the House of Taylor jewelry range, told People magazine that she knew more about jewels than he did.

In the same article, published March 28 on a potential Christie’s auction, Taylor’s friend, the jeweler Lorraine Schwartz said:

“The studios, in order to make her happy, they’d always give her jewelry. So she grew up collecting it…People always gave her gifts, it was something that she learned to love.” And she took great care of them, too…She [had] collections and collections, and rooms. She [knew] where every single piece was. [It was] amazing.”

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

ennui1308250257.71719957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007

Here's an interesting article about the Taylor-Burton Diamond.

BTW, she sold that diamond in 1979.

Last edited on 6/16/2011

Last edited on 6/16/2011

StarChild1308252195.661881 PostsRegistered 4/26/2008NYC
On 6/16/2011 ennui said:

Last edited on 6/16/2011

I see that the above linked article does say that she sold it so I guess it might refer to one of the other diamonds Burton gave her (in the photo in the Christie article she is showing her Krupp diamond ring). Or maybe Robert Mouawad (who had the stone recut so it's slightly smaller) is taking advantage of the publicity and is selling his ring too.

I still remember years ago when Liz Taylor wore it on "Here's Lucy" and it got stuck on Lucy's finger.

I browsed through the book on her jewelry but the only piece that appealed to me was La Peregrina and that was while it was in it's original setting. I simply don't have the same taste in jewelry.

BTW didn't she have a jewelry line that went out of business or something?

Like Jack Benny, I'm 39 and holding ;)

ennui1308253565.1819957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007
On 6/16/2011 StarChild said:

BTW didn't she have a jewelry line that went out of business or something?

House of Taylor Jewelry. It was expensive, I recall.

"It's been a rough few years for both Taylor and her eponymous brand of couture jewelry. Taylor has suffered several health crises and the loss of beloved friends including Michael Jackson. Her jewelry line began in 2005 when Mirabelle Luxury Concepts and Techline Jewelry merged with entities owned by Kathy Ireland and Elizabeth Taylor to form House of Taylor Jewelry. The new company struggled to gain footing and eventually was delisted from the Nasdaq in 2008. In November 2008, House of Taylor Jewelry, Inc. filed a voluntary petition for liquidation under Chapter 7 in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California, Los Angeles."

Issiestorm1308255757.812717 PostsRegistered 9/5/2010

Wow, thanks for that treasure trove of information ennui, especially the clickable links.

ennui1308256631.53319957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007

On 6/16/2011 StarChild said:
On 6/16/2011 ennui said:

Last edited on 6/16/2011

I see that the above linked article does say that she sold it so I guess it might refer to one of the other diamonds Burton gave her (in the photo in the Christie article she is showing her Krupp diamond ring).

Christie's apparently hasn't commented nor confirmed the reports, and I think you're right, they must mean the Krupp Diamond. Or the Taj Mahal diamond. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Another story:

The late Elizabeth Taylor's great passion, her staggering collection of massive diamonds and rare vintage jewels, will be auctioned by famed auction house Christie's, sources told PEOPLE.

While Christie's is refusing to confirm the report and no date has been announced, the mag reports the auction house will disperse the collection valued at more than $150 million.

Taylor speculated before her death that one day her private collection -- said to rival that of some royal households -- would be "scattered around the four corners of the world."

The 79-year-old Academy Award winning actress, who died from congestive heart failure on March 23, had worked with the auction house in the past.

In 2002, Taylor allowed Christie's to host a public exhibition of her jewels, including the famed 33-carat Krupp diamond, the La Preregina Pearl by Cartier and the heart-shaped Taj Mahal diamond. That exhibition benefited her signature charity, The Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation.

Featuring colored stones such as suites of rubies, rare pearls and diamonds as famous as the actress herself, Taylor's collection is expected to attract great interest to the auction. Interest will surely pique if the sell-off includes pieces such as the Krupp diamond, gifted by her fourth and fifth husband, the late actor Richard Burton.

The actress behind the best-selling White Diamonds fragrance line was said to still wear the Krupp to events as pedestrian as matinee movies, accessorized with jeans, diamond bracelets and an Ed Hardy baseball cap.

Taylor's friend, jeweler Lorraine Schwartz, described the actress's attachment and appreciation to her storied collection: "She [had] collection and collections, and rooms. She knew where every single piece was. [It was] amazing," she told PEOPLE. The jeweler recalled checking on Taylor after a fall. The actress conveyed she was shaken up but fine because, "I'm wearing my bracelet."

There's been no word from the late actress's representatives on whether any of the jewels will be passed on to her four surviving children and several grandchildren or if the entire collection will benefit her AIDS foundation and amFar, the charities to which Taylor devoted so much of her philanthropic life.

Last edited on 6/16/2011

Last edited on 6/16/2011

stevieb1308306795.9329780 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

Though certainly a worthy cause, it truly is a shame to break up this magnificent collection. I suppose, though, that the alternative would still require it to be split it up among her family. Either way, it doesn't remain intact. I wonder if it would have been possible to donate the collection to a museum with the stipulation that a percentage of the museum's 'take' go to her signature charities?

Such a loss. I guess Liz was the last of the real big-time "movie stars", unless I'm forgetting someone who remains...

depglass1308322608.25324083 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I don't think museums make enough money to make contributions a meaningful factor. I suspect most of the collection will end up overseas.

StarChild1308325142.6071881 PostsRegistered 4/26/2008NYC
On 6/17/2011 stevieb said:

Such a loss. I guess Liz was the last of the real big-time "movie stars", unless I'm forgetting someone who remains...

I think you're right and certainly the last famous big jewelry collector. The only other person I can think of is Candy Spelling and she's not an actress. So many stars today seem to get by with simply borrowing jewelry for the big occasions.

I saw a couple of Liz's pieces in the Van Cleef & Arpels show "Set in Style". I suppose they will be withdrawn from the show for the sale now.

Like Jack Benny, I'm 39 and holding ;)

ennui1308326852.99719957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007
On 6/17/2011 depglass said:

I don't think museums make enough money to make contributions a meaningful factor. I suspect most of the collection will end up overseas.

Museums generally rely on donations, and items on loan. You'll see a little tag near a famous painting, for example, that says who really owns it.

Harry Winston donated the Hope Diamond to the Smithsonian.

Me2Me1308327377.3536827 PostsRegistered 11/7/2007In my own little world
On 6/16/2011 Issiestorm said:

I have her book as well. I wonder if it's still in print.

It's my understanding, from what I've read, that the jewelry will be auctioned off to benefit the AIDS foundation that Elizabeth was the head of.

That is one classy lady in life and death. I'm sure it is what she wanted.

Have you met or seen my friend Harvey? Harvey loves Judith Ripka and her jewelry!! He says," Judith Ripka makes me very "hoppy!"

ennui1309363198.54319957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- Elizabeth Taylor's collection of jewelry, art, designer clothing and other memorabilia will go on an international, three-month tour before it is sold in New York in December, Christie's auction house announced Wednesday.

The tour will begin in September and include stops in Moscow, London, Dubai, Geneva, Paris, Hong Kong and Los Angeles. It will end in New York, where Christie's plans a "museum-quality exhibition" of the late actress' collection that will fill its entire gallery space from Dec. 3 to Dec. 10.

The auction will be held over four days on Dec. 13-16.

Taylor, who was infamously married eight times to seven husbands, was also known for her passion for opulent diamonds. She died in March at age 79.

She published a book in 2003 titled "Elizabeth Taylor: My Love Affair With Jewelry," and her collection has included some of the world's most expensive stones.

A portion of the proceeds from the exhibition admissions and publications related to the sales will be donated to The Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation.

The screen icon's impressionist and modern art collection will be sold at Christie's in London in February.

In April, Christie's announced that it had reached an agreement with Taylor's family to sell her prized jewelry collection, as well as her art, clothing, accessories and other memorabilia.

Further details of the sales, exhibitions and tour dates will be announced in the fall.

spenditall­baby1309364090.637633 PostsRegistered 11/20/2007Surfer's Paradise and Flower Capital

Before her collection is sold in New York this December, it will tour the country. One of the stops is LA, and I so want to see this stuff up close and personal! Wonder if Daphne Guinness will be bidding...

ennui1309364644.85719957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007
On 6/29/2011 spenditallbaby said:

Before her collection is sold in New York this December, it will tour the country.

That's what I posted. {#emotions_dlg.huh}

Page 1 of 1