Give Gorgeous
15 Members and 11877 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

WOW! She did NOT like him saying it was COMPRESSED turquoise!!

Started 1307492907.883 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1307706576.477 by Hildegarde Withers

And it definitely WAS! It was that last piece they showed in copper. I'll be wary of her in the future! (The Barse lady on HSN.) Buyers should be made aware when stones are compressed!

Studio Barse Turquoise Copper and Sterling Silver "Chain" Drop Necklace
Bold and chic, this chain-motif necklace from Studio Barse is the statement piece you've been looking for. It's got a luxurious, yet casual appeal that's perfect for any occasion.

Stone Information (all sizes approximate)

• Stabilized-Compressed Kingman Turquoise:

(15x13mm); round (4mm, 6mm and 8mm); nugget (20x15x12mm); mined in USA

In my life, I've loved them all...

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
fluffy21307494012.5534464 PostsRegistered 8/29/2009SPB.RUS >>>Beautiful So.California

{#emotions_dlg.blink}

bluheart1307494050.3538 PostsRegistered 3/11/2011

I didn't see the Barse show, have looked at their pieces on HSN, in department stores and online. Google "compressed turquoise" and see what it says. I read that and the posts on HSN about it. Apparently much of Jay King's turquoise pieces are also compressed turquoise. Vendors want people to believe there are selling real turquoise when in reality much of it isn't. Buyer beware.

jugtown1307494399.09710308 PostsRegistered 3/28/2010

pmoody - I agree. I can spot it very quickly. Stabilized is a good thing, but that compressed stuff is just wrong. I personally don't like the look of it - to those that do, mo power to ya. I could not believe her reaction when the host (who was doing his job) said it was compressed. She starting fumbling her words and looked really annoyed. They had to pan the camera away from her, and the host said "hey, I'm just reading the card!"

Sweet Susie1307499888.262471 PostsRegistered 5/23/2007There and Back Again

Jugtown - ran over to HSN, but no video for that item, darn it.

Anyone watch the ShopNBC TS today - the Winter Ridge Kingman Turq. ring? The description says it's stabilized but doesn't say whether it's compressed or not.

I wasn't that thrilled with the coloration of this turquoise, but hey, to each their own.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." Eleanor Roosevelt

Bunnycat1307500887.2971112 PostsRegistered 3/27/2006

Barse has been using that same turquoise for years. It is what it is; not meant to be high-end turquoise. Most turquoise including CP pieces, JK, Barse, and other lines have either compressed, treated, stablilized, color-enhanced. It is just about impossible to find natural, untreated turquoise on any of the shopping channels. It doesn't bother me at all that Melanie uses this turquoise; I buy her pieces for the designs and the pretty colors, and they're inexpensive and just fun. Same with CP....she doesn't have any turquoise I go crazy over, but I like some of her designs. I love what Melanie is doing now with the bronze and copper.

doglover31307501071.639807 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I never had anything bronze so ordered 3 pieces. The way I look at it, is prices almosst like costume jewelry so can't go wrong. I thought they looked very nice and am sure I will get my money out of them and enjoy wearing them. This is the first time I saw her or any copper or bronze jewelry.

DiAnne1307501270.2775789 PostsRegistered 9/22/2010

I have several of her pieces and I really like them. They are fashion jewelry and fun. Particularly like the bronze pieces.

HopeReigns1307501615.3733517 PostsRegistered 5/4/2007
On 6/7/2011 Sweet Susie said:

Jugtown - ran over to HSN, but no video for that item, darn it.

Anyone watch the ShopNBC TS today - the Winter Ridge Kingman Turq. ring? The description says it's stabilized but doesn't say whether it's compressed or not.

I wasn't that thrilled with the coloration of this turquoise, but hey, to each their own.

I'm sure it was; it looked almost lumpy, didn't it? So far, Paul Deasy has shown me nothing extraordinary and he thinks he is an expert. Gem Man....my behind.

I've ordered several things of his and all but one went back; colors were off, mismatched, stones loose on one piece. Cheap, cheap, cheap IMHO.

Hope, >^.^<

"

fluffy21307506638.624464 PostsRegistered 8/29/2009SPB.RUS >>>Beautiful So.California

Stabilized turquoise is normal , it helps to preserve the color. Compressed - it's a turquoise dust or small pieces glued together to form a rock- pure junk that HSN sell , IMO.

JLLH3581307506813.6175032 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 6/7/2011 pmoody said:

I didn't see the Barse show, have looked at their pieces on HSN, in department stores and online. Google "compressed turquoise" and see what it says. I read that and the posts on HSN about it. Apparently much of Jay King's turquoise pieces are also compressed turquoise. Vendors want people to believe there are selling real turquoise when in reality much of it isn't. Buyer beware.

Actually, not much is compressed but what is is clearly stated as such. That is the difference between the manner in which HSN reveals detailed information on specific pieces and the way in which QVC does a generalized "treatments which might have occurred" on individual pieces. Stabilized does not mean compressed. They are not the same thing, though many confuse the different procedures done.

TessaT1307520781.777119 PostsRegistered 11/6/2005Minnesota and Boston

Saw the same thing, almost fell of my treadmill. One cld clearly see she was annoyed, but I respect the male host for the info. Not all SB pieces are compressed, you can usually tell when it is. Jay King does not do alot of compressed, treated yes, but not compressed. Also, last year JK had a TS with Marty- what- his- name and the Turquoise was absolutely btfl! No matrix, and I bought 3 pcs --- Blue, Blue Blue, (I like both - with and w/out matrix) IWhen I was in Boston, on Newbury Street, which is IMHO a smaller, classier Rhodeo Drive, or the like, and in the Cartier shop, two of the sales people wanted to know where I bought those Turqoise pieces and one said "I dont even want to know the price"

palmajo1307521396.897594 PostsRegistered 10/22/2007

If I like it I buy it. Don't really care if it's treated, compressed, or real.

"The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart"

tropicalbe­achgirl1307531012.362652 PostsRegistered 6/17/2005
On 6/8/2011 TessaT said:

Saw the same thing, almost fell of my treadmill. One cld clearly see she was annoyed, but I respect the male host for the info. Not all SB pieces are compressed, you can usually tell when it is. Jay King does not do alot of compressed, treated yes, but not compressed. Also, last year JK had a TS with Marty- what- his- name and the Turquoise was absolutely btfl! No matrix, and I bought 3 pcs --- Blue, Blue Blue, (I like both - with and w/out matrix) IWhen I was in Boston, on Newbury Street, which is IMHO a smaller, classier Rhodeo Drive, or the like, and in the Cartier shop, two of the sales people wanted to know where I bought those Turqoise pieces and one said "I dont even want to know the price"

I remember that show! Very, very nice TQ--that blue caught my eye; wanted those pieces but was in the throes of JR at that time, and I let them go. Nice buy!

Last edited on 6/8/2011

Last edited on 6/8/2011

In diving to the bottom of pleasure we bring up more gravel than pearls ~ Honore de Balzac

jugtown1307532238.41310308 PostsRegistered 3/28/2010
On 6/7/2011 Bunnycat said:

Barse has been using that same turquoise for years. It is what it is; not meant to be high-end turquoise. Most turquoise including CP pieces, JK, Barse, and other lines have either compressed, treated, stablilized, color-enhanced. It is just about impossible to find natural, untreated turquoise on any of the shopping channels. It doesn't bother me at all that Melanie uses this turquoise; I buy her pieces for the designs and the pretty colors, and they're inexpensive and just fun. Same with CP....she doesn't have any turquoise I go crazy over, but I like some of her designs. I love what Melanie is doing now with the bronze and copper.

CP's turquoise is not compressed - it is stabilized, and I appreciate that. There is a HUGE difference between compressed and other treatments. The price of that necklace ($179 I think?) was pretty high for compressed turquoise IMO, and not the price of a costume piece. It is a matter of opinion - that's all, but I personally don't like the look of it.

I think that host was doing his job, and I appreciate when they make known every aspect of a stone. That Barse lady looked really bad when she got annoyed he mentioned it was compressed - if there's nothing wrong with it, why would she be upset?

Last edited on 6/8/2011

Last edited on 6/8/2011

sunshine451307534478.8942059 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast
On 6/8/2011 palmajo said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

paShar1307535834.911909 PostsRegistered 1/14/2006Western Pennsylvania
On 6/8/2011 sunshine45 said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Sunshine, I just had to post to say I love your signature line.......truer words were never spoken...or written.

Shar

sunshine451307536373.7742059 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast
On 6/8/2011 paShar said:
On 6/8/2011 sunshine45 said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Sunshine, I just had to post to say I love your signature line.......truer words were never spoken...or written.

why thank you pashar..... that is very kind you to say! have a great day. Smile

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

blahblahva­mpemerblah1307541745.8176192 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 6/7/2011 Bunnycat said:

Barse has been using that same turquoise for years. It is what it is; not meant to be high-end turquoise. Most turquoise including CP pieces, JK, Barse, and other lines have either compressed, treated, stablilized, color-enhanced. It is just about impossible to find natural, untreated turquoise on any of the shopping channels.

If they did sell natural turquoise, the complaints would come rushing in. Oils in your skin DO go into the stone and darken it, and the biggie, turquoise is really quite brittle, and a slight ding could seriously damage a stone. Stabilized is the best thing in the world if you're going to put it into jewelry.

Yeah, FINALLY!!!!! Run Trey, run!

wendydarli­ng1307544274.82648 PostsRegistered 1/15/2009

The online descriptions are pretty good about stating exactly which it is compressed, stabilized, etc... I have a few compressed pieces because I liked the look & the price was right. Studio Barse offers many pieces that are stabilized & you do want that or your turquoise stone(s) will change color over time & usually not for the better. I don't have a problem w/ vendors selling anything as long as it's factually represented & SB usually is. I think the TSV they were offering for the old #8 turquoise was fabulous. I haven't seen that turquoise around in years & those were real nuggets, not compressed. There's something for everyone & every taste i think.

JYWilliams1307544691.8033164 PostsRegistered 10/7/2009Kentucky "The Blue Grass State"

I saw the same thing. I think it made her a little hot under the collar.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

nomless1307544860.454577 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

FWIW, most of JK's turq is stabilized but not compressed. The bowls are compressed, however.

Charmed~Je­nna1307545075.57720023 PostsRegistered 3/9/2010~RipkaNistaVille~

~ BooHoo ~

they couldn't find a picture of her henna tattoo either....so wanted to see it.

*was the inspiration for her fan design pieces*

I didn't catch the compressed part, about the turq..thanx for the 411 ~ Kiss

~ Modern Classics with a Twist ~

luvmypupz1307545837.4774991 PostsRegistered 8/30/2010By the Sea Shore

Looks like most of the turquoise pieces I looked at are compressed, a few just stablized which is ok. I have a cuff bracelet I got at JCP with a large turquoise in it. I bet that is compressed too. Granted they do declare it in the item description, but alot buy without reading the description online. As someone else said why did she get upset with the mention of compressed turquoise if it was all that great. There is a coral and turquoise cuff bracelet that says that both stones are compressed and its 329.00, I would feel really cheated if I bought that and found out later the stones are not actually a real one piece stone.

"I confronted the fact that I was not only talking to a dog, but answering for one." - Claire Cook, Must Love Dogs

princess621307559957.91616 PostsRegistered 2/27/2007Pacific Northwest

I am so very sick and tired with these shopping channels NOT revealing the full truth about products! Isn't that lying by omission?

Why should we have to search and search for all the info that could apply to our purchases? In the 20 + years that I have been shopping this way the attitudes of these channels has become an insult to the customer.

morganjen1307561429.522705 PostsRegistered 11/25/2004

I must have tuned in after it happened. Bill Green (whom I'm a big fan of) was the host. You could tell there was some kind of tension in the air between them. He was trying to joke around to lighten the mood, but she wasn't having any part of it. Even after most of the items sold out, she still wasn't happy.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next