Give Gorgeous
47 Members and 11899 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

Judith Ripka is at Sam's Club

Started 1268022706 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1268269124.13 by kcubed
Hubby mentioned it and I went online--and there are 13 pieces so far. More of her couture line than QVC type pieces.

Page 1 of 2
Angelfire1268026339549 PostsRegistered 2/6/2009Sunny Southwest
Well, that's a hoot. Had to check it out for myself. The sterling has 18K, like BB and AK do here at the Q. Guess we don't rate 18k with Ripka!!!

manicshopp­er12680267892828 PostsRegistered 10/21/2009Never Never Land
The Sams near me has many of her pieces - I just looked at them yesterday. Nice to see things in person.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"

- Eleanor Roosevelt

millieshops126802985015139 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
> Well, that's a hoot. Had to check it out for myself.
> The sterling has 18K, like BB and AK do here at the
> Q. Guess we don't rate 18k with Ripka!!!
Sure we do - if we're willing to pay the prices like those at Sam's. I wonder if QVC would sell 25,000 items if they cost half again as much as those in the Q collection???? I wouldn't have been able to do that when I was younger and working - and wouldn't do it now even though I could.

nmbonnie126804041912 PostsRegistered 3/12/2008
I noticed JR at SAMS in TEXAS,& noted this,but my comment was deleted.This was a few weeks ago.I guess it is all "ABOUT THE MONEY"!!Personally,I DID NOT BUY ANY GOLD CLAD JR Pieces,YOU CAN BUY THE REAL THING @ SAMS FOR LESS $$$$ I do love the many pieces I have,& have had some a long time,I'll continue to buy,if I like what I see,but,not GOLD CLAD. SAMS HAD some really BEAUTIFUL PIECES!!!!

Raider Fan12680434354471 PostsRegistered 8/11/2009SF Bay Area
Oh my goodness, I am now going to throw up. Maybe I won't even come back online anymore after hearing this. I don't belong to Sam's Club (Costco for us) but this is so very hard to believe. I think I am going to cry. I have bought some very beautiful pieces from Judith. Oh, gosh. How could she?
--
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Common sense is not so common. **Voltaire**

barbados126804429514405 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007
and they call her a fine jewelry designer?

Raider Fan12680454044471 PostsRegistered 8/11/2009SF Bay Area
barb, I went to the site and it is true. I am still shocked. I'm not buying anything else from her, ever, and am glad that I avoided her shows yesterday and today. barb, can you believe it? I guess I am so trusting it never occurred to me. Now I am very upset and all of my beautiful things I have bought from her are probably worth s))t. I may be through with the Q. You know? This is too much, just too much. I wrote a letter to CS. I wonder how they will respond. I am just going to get the few things left to receive, probably put them; all in a big box and return the lot. How dare they do that to us? Am I so old that honor is just gone from every store? Sorry, barb, I am really down. :-(
--
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Common sense is not so common. **Voltaire**

barbados126804652714405 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007
Hi RaiderFan:
I'm not going knock her jewelry, but I do have a few rings by her which I love. I can't believe a place like Sam's Club would carry her jewelry line. I always thought she was very upscale and classy with her line but now, I guess it's not. I don't buy her bracelets or necklaces because her jewelry is silver and the prices are just too much to pay for silver. Now since she's available at Sam's Club I guess her jewelry isn't that special anymore.

whitelinen12680546083380 PostsRegistered 2/16/2009ICU RN
There was thread on the ripka forum about this . . . a poster said she was told by employees at some of the higher end dept stores they are not featuring the Ripka line in their designer cases. The poster said JR had decided to go with her QVC line. I don't know this first-hand, just read it on the forum.

And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.

(Roald Dahl)

lavenderju­nkie126805680513101 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
The stock may not have been sold to Sams directly by JR.
It is very possible that it was thru another retail store that needed to raise money. Happens all the time. Once someone owns merchandise it is theirs and generally unless there are specific contract restrictions, the new owner can resell it.

sunshine45126805703642059 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast
i was in sams club yesterday and posted this a while back. our sams club has an entire case devoted to her pieces. they have her sterling silver, her silver with 18k, and her all 18k items. all the pieces i saw were beautiful! i started seeing items maybe about six months ago or more.....
yesterday, my daughter had to drag me away... i was very tempted.

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Usamarsha12680591411400 PostsRegistered 12/13/2008
I find this thread very interesting. It's OK to buy jewelry at QVC but not at Sam's Club? Can someone explain to me why this bothers you so much? If I find a piece of jewelry I like, it is a price I can afford, it doesn't really matter to me which store it is. Now, that is not to say I won't avoid purchasing at certain places due to poor cs or various other issues, but not because of the name per se. I try to avoid purchasing things made in China (almost impossible now days) because of my paranoia of the poisonous chemicals that seem to be turning up in stuff made there.
Anyway, just curious as to the thought process behind this.

teainlondon12680615851042 PostsRegistered 10/13/2007
I checked at Sams and they have Ripka jewelry.:-p Judy is selling at Sam's! It doesn't matter where the jewelry comes from, if you want it. Maybe she'll go to TJMaxx and other stores soon. I live nowhere near a store with designer lines of anything, but there is a Sam's Club. It's not second party merchandise bought and re-sold. Sam's has real 18K and the Q sells clad----I find that amusing. People are paying through the nose for clad on Q when they could go to Sam's and get real 18K for less. If you want Ripka jewelry, why would it matter if it's bought at Sam's? Is it high-end to say it was bought at Q? Who cares?

shopfan1268063308527 PostsRegistered 4/28/2006NYC
I find this topic interesting as well. I went to look online at Sam's; here's the link if anyone's interested:
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=14885
They don't have that much, and what I saw seemed a lot pricier than the Q, no?
Only thing that would interest me is the turquoise heart charm bracelet. I think it's $199.00. That's probably cheaper than it would be at the Q.
And the topic about this on the Jewelry Forum is fun to read. Everyone for the most part seems "insulted" that JR is at Sams.

depglass126806381624149 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006
One of those discounters carries Kate Spade. Does that keep you from buying her bags?

DebbieDD12680677598109 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004
> I find this thread very interesting. It's OK to buy
> jewelry at QVC but not at Sam's Club? Can someone
> explain to me why this bothers you so much? If I
> find a piece of jewelry I like, it is a price I can
> afford, it doesn't really matter to me which store it
> is. Now, that is not to say I won't avoid purchasing
> at certain places due to poor cs or various other
> issues, but not because of the name per se. I try to
> avoid purchasing things made in China (almost
> impossible now days) because of my paranoia of the
> poisonous chemicals that seem to be turning up in
> stuff made there.
>
> Anyway, just curious as to the thought process behind
> this.
ITA! I can't imagine why people are upset. Things that are from previous seasons always end up at some discounter. Happens all the time. I have seen ripka on Gilt .com along with other VERY high end designers. Some stock comes from retailers and others directly from the designers/manufacturers. This is not a line done for Sams. It is just an overstock of older designs. Not sure what the hoopla is all about.
I believe all the Sams pieces are from the JR 2 line with small gold and diamond accents so the cost is more than Q's all silver line. Not worth the difference in price, imo, but I know some do like it.
--
Deb

millieshops126806880015139 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
Why are people so upset that things are being sold at Sam's club? They're selling, in almost every case, pieces I've never seen on QVC. And lots of QVC buyers brag about finding her pieces on eBay and to me that carries the same cachet as Sam's or Costco. Same with finding her pieces at Marshall's or TJM. If you love the pieces, what's the difference?
There no exclusivity when a product is sold at QVC unless they own the line - and probably not even then. And there's no exclusivity when a company sells hundreds or thousands of the same item. That doesn't mean the jewelry isn't fun to wear - and, to me, that's what jewelry is for. Where I buy what I like doesn't matter --except that I won't buy from sellers I suspect are thieves reselling their loot.

ella12680708091710 PostsRegistered 5/26/2006
> Why are people so upset that things are being sold at
> Sam's club? They're selling, in almost every case,
> pieces I've never seen on QVC. And lots of QVC
> buyers brag about finding her pieces on eBay and to
> me that carries the same cachet as Sam's or Costco.
> Same with finding her pieces at Marshall's or TJM.
> . If you love the pieces, what's the difference?
I don't understand it either, and I'm not a fan of anything associated with Walmart. If I love a piece of jewelry and it brings me joy, that's all that matters. I see Honora at TJ Maxx all the time...does that diminish it for its fans?
And I wonder how Ripka's couture clients reacted when they heard she was going to sell on QVC? ;)
--
"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients." -- Julia

"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces, just good food from fresh ingredients." -- Julia

millieshops126807165715139 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
ella-
Last spring Judith had a trunk show of her jewelry at my local Saks. Absolutely incredible, incredible jewels!
I tried on a couture bracelet when the woman who was buying it took it off her wrist and extended it to me. On the other side of the display case, women were buying $5,000 items and as we moved along, women were buying $500 items. I didn't follow any specific shopper, but I suspect many looked at everything before they bought. I didn't hear anything but excitement. No complaints the $15,000 items were being sold along with $500 pieces.
And some brought their QVC purchases to show Judith and to find something from her other lines to go with them. She was totally gracious to all, chatting with the shoppers, signing the pouches, making suggestions, etc.
I'm not a Ripkanista and even I was impressed with how well all the jewelry and all the shoppers melded. At least some of her clients obviously don't object to the QVC line because they were definitely buying that day. Sad to say, I'm not going to be in town when she returns to the store in a few weeks. I'd go again.

DebbieDD12680718998109 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004
> And I wonder how Ripka's couture clients reacted when
> they heard she was going to sell on QVC? ;)
>
> --
I imagine the same way Ralphs couture clients do when others find his stuff for $20 at TJ max... No big deal as it is hardly the same thing. Like comparing apples to oranges.
I am lucky to have a wonderful husband who bought me 2 couture pieces. I love that I am able to have additional pieces with the same look and feel from QVC without the high price. I am happy to have both. Having said this I have not bought anything in a long while as it is all starting to look the same. I am also not a fan of this new clad line.
--
Deb

island bre­eze12680741561095 PostsRegistered 11/20/2009
First, let's get this straight.. the JR pieces that are being sold in Sam's Club are, for the most part, a heck of a lot more pricey that those sold on QVC. That's because most of the pieces at SC are from her couture line.. it's the real deal 18k gold, not clad.
Second.. who cares if they're sold at Sam's Club? I don't. They're still beautiful pieces.

Just Jon12680798311095 PostsRegistered 10/6/2009
I doubt that JR sold to Sam's Club directly. Most of the HE name brand items are sold to mass retails by independent retailers who are trying to raise cash. Cartier is another example. My Costco always has at least one Cartier watch in the case. When I was at the Cartier boutique getting my watch serviced, I asked about this. They said that they will not honor any warranty or watch for service unless it was purchased from an authorized retailer (they know by the serial number). That was one reason I bought my watch at the Cartier store; I figured to save $1000 at Costco wasn't worth it. Plus, you never know if it's a fake. I also could have bought it at the SF Jewelry Mart (wholesale), but again, you never know where these watches are coming from...there are so many really, really, good fakes out there.
Another time I was at Costco and they had Steuben. More importantly, they had a piece I had wanted for years (almost 15). Retail was about $650, at Costco it was marked $425. I decided I would buy it if Costco had the original Steuben box and accompanying literature. They did...and I bought it.
Right when I got home, I called the Steuben corporate offices in NYC and asked why Costco is now carrying some of their pieces? They told me that they were aware of this situation and had their legal team investigating. They said that a major Steuben retailer sold their overstock to Costco and pieces were showing up at Costco warehouses mainly on the west coast. They said the pieces we legit, but that Steuben was going to each individual Costco and BUYING BACK THE PIECES AT RETAIL, so there would be no more 3rd-party pieces left for the public to see.
I was glad I got mine!!! ;-)
So, just because you see JR at Sam's doesn't mean that 1) they are legit. 2) that Judith's company had anything to do with it. 3) that you could take the piece to one of her boutiques and get it repaired.
Personally, I rather spend the extra money and know I am getting something legit.

whezy1268083575655 PostsRegistered 10/27/2008
QVC or someone needs to provide information to the public as to the difference between "faux" gold, gold clad metals, and bonded gold. JR's new pieces are not "faux" gold...they are pure gold bonded to silver. It is still gold. If you listened to JR at the beginning of the original presentation for the TSV, she stated that QVC and the QVC customers had been asking her to add the gold to the Q silver line and she had been reluctant to do so because she really didn't agree with the concept. She tried 14kt and 18kt both and found that the 14kt bonded over silver more closely matched her solid 18kt. She was doing what the customers had requested not trying to "pass off faux gold". . If you ladies want to pay the higher prices for solid gold as opposed to bonded gold, there is plenty available...but know the difference before accusing someone of dishonesty.

mydora12680845601262 PostsRegistered 2/11/2009
Raider Fan
its is the sign of the times - they sell where they can - can say what they have to say to sell and so does some of the host say what they have to say to sell
--
Edited by mydora at 03/08/2010 6:20 PM PST

Last edited on 3/8/2010

terrier3126808494128126 PostsRegistered 7/13/2007
What the?????
My Ripka pieces are all from the Q - I don't want to pay the prices I've seen at Saks and her Madison Ave. store.
So should a Sak's buyer look down on me...lik esome here seem to be doing about Sam's?
BTW - I have been to the Ripka and Honora Mad. Av stores, and was treated very well when I said my pieces were from the Q. They weren't snobby there at all...
Why are some HERE???

Page 1 of 2